E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Silverstars rant- Long winded

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
Silverstars rant- Long winded

I just lost one of the second set of Silverstar bulbs in less than 2 years.
The first were the silver topped ones and the latest failure was the gold topped "Ultra" . It developed a pronounced "pimple" on the bulb. Looks like it came close to complete burn through. I really like the improved lighting that these bulbs provide but the service life is a joke. I burned through the first set in about 8 months with DRL on. The gold set lasted about a year, DRL off (just past the warranty). We drive about 7500 miles per year. At 30 mph average that is 250 hours. Of that I will concede 1/3 is night driving. So that means these bulbs in MY vehicle are failing at under 100 hours. I think I will try something else. Any suggestions will be considered except butchering the wire harness for non OEM equipment. Below is the reply from Sylvania. Since I cannot control any of these "variables", I am voting with my feet and moving on to something else.

thank you for contacting us with your product performance concern. We are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused to you, our valued consumer. I'd like to take a moment and provide some information on these premium lighting solutions that may be helpful. The life of any halogen bulb varies based on vehicle type, vehicle voltage, amount of time the bulb is on, road conditions, proper installation, and correct application. The average life of SilverStar(r) headlights are approximately one year. If the bulbs do not meet your expectations, we will replace them within a year of purchase when obtained through an authorized US retailer. Please confirm the retailer you've purchased the SilverStar(r) Ultra from and if you've retained the sales receipt and failed lamp. We may be able to replace the full pair for you at no additional cost. With our SYLVANIA SilverStar(r) products, the primary goal is to offer the brightest, whitest light. Research has shown SilverStar(r) headlights improve driver visibility and reaction time. However, since our SilverStar(r) headlights are up to 35% brighter and our SilverStar(r) ULTRA headlights are up to 50% brighter than standard halogen, they have a shorter life span compared to our other products. These lamps however should not cause the buldge you describe and this may be a lamp that was somehow compromised in the supply chain. Additionally, vehicle electrical systems are designed to operate around 12 volts DC, bulbs are rated for optical performance at 12.8 volts and the life for halogen bulbs is tested and rated at 14.0 volts. It's important to remember first the voltage of the charging system and second and just as important, is the length and sizing of the wire to the bulbs. It is not uncommon for the voltage drop at the bulb to be 1V or more from that of the charging system. However, due to the electrical system architecture of the vehicle, and other variables such as wiring and vehicle power demands, it is possible for some vehicles to deliver higher voltages or even voltage spikes to the bulb. The result is shortened bulb life because an increase in voltage of as little as 5% can cut a bulb's life in half. This is true for standard OEM bulbs and particularly, high performance halogen bulbs. Unfortunately, no adjustments can be made to the voltage since this is a function of the alternator output and electrical architecture of the vehicle.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Your experience is typical.

But, you've misunderstood the first rule of German car ownership: Pep Boys does NOT have parts for your car.

Understand that Pep Boys customers are those that work on their Camaros in the parking lot by hitting the carburetor with a hammer.

You should instead import Osram Silverstar bulbs from Europe, which last as long as any halogen bulb ... but of course their major purpose is NOT to be blue but rather to simply provide better light.

Take a look at all your options at http://www.powerbulbs.com

Personally I fit +50% Phillips bulbs in low beam and +80% Phillips bulbs in high beam. I've previously used +50% Osram Silverstars with no problems.

Last edited by lkchris; 03-08-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211
[quote=lkchris;4558632]Your experience is typical.

But, you've misunderstood the first rule of German car ownership: Pep Boys does NOT have parts for your car.

Understand that Pep Boys customers are those that work on their Camaros in the parking lot by hitting the carburetor with a hammer.

saw that last week on a mustang
Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 AM

2003 E320
Take a look at all your options at http://www.powerbulbs.com

I feel like such a fool, I have been buying the Sylvania bulbs stamped "Osram Gmbh Germany". Obvioulsy the Brits have cornered all of the good stuff. I'll be sure to waste more money with them.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Doesn't change the fact the bulbs sold under Sylvania brand are of lesser quality.

Nor does it change the fact that actual experience bears that out.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 2013 Tahoe 2007 Mustang GT Conv.
Check out this previous thread, it should be of interest to you. Higher performance factory bulbs. I'm thinking of getting a complete set depending on the price as compared to Silverstar Ultras.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...-h7-bulbs.html

Last edited by Mad Dawg 350; 03-09-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:39 AM

2006 E320 CDI
What fact?

Why do you think that your miniscule personal experience/opinion denotes a "fact"?

Ever hear of variability in products coming off the same production line?

Sure you have.

- nopcbs

Originally Posted by lkchris
Doesn't change the fact the bulbs sold under Sylvania brand are of lesser quality.

Nor does it change the fact that actual experience bears that out.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 AM

2003 E320
I do not need directions on where to shop. If you are considering Silverstar bulbs (from Sylvania), please note that they have a short(er) service life than standard, this is emphatically stated by their technical adviser, also the estimated an 800 hour life is clearly printed on the package. MY experience with two sets of these bulbs is a MUCH shorter life. I do not have a timer but I think my estimate of around 100 hours is correct. For me. that is unacceptable. The chances of avoiding an accident with the better illumination is overshadowed by the high probablity of failure at a bad time (nighttime driving during a rainstorm etc). If the Sylvania guy is accurate and the trade off for better Halogen light is a shorter life, I will return to OEM. If there is a better Halogen solution out there, I am interested. I do not think Osram makes inferior products strictly for US consumption.