E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

NAV and CD Collection?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 02:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Question NAV and CD Collection?

During the process of spec'ing out a new car to swap due to Nav fiasco, my salesman asked me if I wanted to order the Navigation CD Collection USA/Canada (Mfr Code #048) as well. I thought that the DVD format would be sufficient to include the continental US, but I noticed that this showed up as an option when pricing the Mercedes E class using Microsoft Autos (formerly Carpoint). BTW, this did not show up as an option on MBUSA site.

Does anyone have any idea of what this CD collection contains and whether it's a good thing to get? Thanks.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
You know what????

With all the trouble the DVD Command II has given MB.. and seeing this post here now... I wonder if the "replacement" vehicles with the "factory installed NAV" will be DVD units.. or did they decide to just put the old Command (CD based) NAV in the rest of the 03 cars.. while they work on the DVD for the 04's???

I have seen NO MENTION of the E55 getting the DVD nav yet (still unavailable as far as I can tell).

Food for thought?

Peter

PS: Just check out the "letter" and see there is NO MENTION of COMMAND II and also no mention of DVD.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:01 PM

OH MY GOD!!!

That would REALLY make this a serious FIASCO! Holy cow... It's hard for me to even imagine this as a possibility... If that's the case, I'm not even going to bother visiting other MB dealers this year...

On the lighter side... I just test drove a Volvo S80 T6... I can get their 2004 Premier model, fully loaded, Euro-delivered, with two free plane tickets, and the equivalent of the E55 Advanced Mobile Media System (i.e. - with two extra 7" LCD displays in the head rests that can play DVD's or tv or other video input with wireless headphones, or piped through the car speakers...) At basically, the US dealer invoice price... a stunning $20ish grand less the the E500 configured as I wanted...

Hmmm...

I think I might have to stop in Sweden this year... never been before...

-NavNut
Old 05-15-2003, 06:08 PM

one of seven
just got back from the MB dealer and was informed that nav will not be on the first shipment of 2004 E's. They hope it will be available around February 2004. I don't think I want to wait that long and may just go ahead and order an '03 this week!!

my 2 cents
Old 05-15-2003, 11:30 PM

2003 E500
Eh?

So NAV won't be available on the 04's until NEXT YEAR? Then what are WE GETTING? Maybe the Garwin GPS Autopilot or something? I mean guys... I am getting SERIOUSLY concerned about this now.

Of course, the way the whole deal has gone down.. I bet NOONE knows until they see a NAV replacement car in person and verify if it's DVD or CD. Let's just hope that jdhoang just came across a dumb/uninformed/rookie salesman.... Hopefully!

Peter
Old 05-16-2003, 12:02 AM

E500W '03, Porsche Cayman S '06
NavNut,

I've already had an S80 T6.

What a serious disappointment that car was. All that power in a front wheel drive.

The front tires would spin at any hint of power.

It is bigger on the inside than the E but not nearly as satisfying to drive.

I will say it is very comfortable.

The interior finishes are too plastic for my taste.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:47 AM

Well, the optimal car for me is the E55 fully equipped with advanced mobile media... If I could get that Euro-delivered for less than $90K I would... I don't think I can get it at any price with all the options I want working this summer... I am thinking I may have to be happy with a 2004 S80 T6 Premier for a year or two until MB gets its act together... I don't know why, but right now it is obviously a shambles. I can't get keyless go, a pano roof, voice activation for everything, or dynamic drive seats in the Volvo... but I am just waiting for the engine to drop out of my Audi A6 2.7T any day now... I don't want to drive that car anymore... and I don't want an MB with only promises of features as basic as an up to date DVD nav system... it's embarassing. I think I'm going to call Volvo in the morning.

-NavNut
Old 05-16-2003, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
I've been thinking the same thing

Originally posted by NitroShredder
With all the trouble the DVD Command II has given MB.. and seeing this post here now... I wonder if the "replacement" vehicles with the "factory installed NAV" will be DVD units.. or did they decide to just put the old Command (CD based) NAV in the rest of the 03 cars.. while they work on the DVD for the 04's???

I have seen NO MENTION of the E55 getting the DVD nav yet (still unavailable as far as I can tell).

Food for thought?

Peter

PS: Just check out the "letter" and see there is NO MENTION of COMMAND II and also no mention of DVD.
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. I am getting very nervous and will be extremely pissed if it's the old system. Although, the new CLK55 AMG has the old system as does the SL. Spending that kind of money and getting the old command would not make me happy.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:56 PM

Volvo S80
Navnut, I have a Volvo S80 2.4L 140 bhp and it is the most comfortable car that I have ever driven. Performance wise it may not be up too scratch with the equivalent E Class but it has a better looking interior that a lot of other exec cars and beats the BMW 5 series hands down. I have to admit that I will regret parting company with Volvo as the service I have received is of a far higher standard than my local MB dealer. Sometimes I wonder if I have made a wise choice as the MB E 270 CDI is nearly £6000 more than a full spec Volvo S80 D5 with all the goodies including Xenon lights excluding the Executive class S80.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:38 PM

Replacment Car Nav System

According to the copy of the order for my "replacement" E500 the navigation system is option "530 COMAND System w/DVD Navi".

This is on the NetStar order form a copy of which was faxed to me after the order was placed.

I can only assume that this means what it says.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:24 PM

Well, so far my Volvo Euro-buying attempt has beat my MB Euro-buying attempt in spades... Just went in this morning... no slimey sales guy with attitude... great price... no hassle negotiation... I'm getting a loaded 2004 S80-T6 Premier edition loaded for UNDER US invoice WITH two free plane tickets thrown in, one night hotel in Sweden, limo service from airport to hotel, hotel to car delivery center, complimentary cell phone, use of a European nav dvd... AND if I can stay for 90 days, I don't have to pay California sales tax. We still have to see if the factory accepts the order (They close between July 7th and August 7th, and I want it the end of July, so it's close...) but we'll see.

Beats the hell out of the MB slimey sales guy with his initial "Oh we'll take care of you..." and then his ultimate attempt at raping me for MSRP plus all the extras for MB Euro-delivery, and finally coming through with his ultimate "I almost got the Regional MB rep to go to bat for you and get you a nav-equipped car for $500 or $1000 under MSRP, but now I can't guarentee anything..." Oh, yeah... that's taking care of me... exactly when do you want me to grab my ankles? What year are these guys still living in? 1999? 1969? what? Cause it's not 2003 over there...

I was thinking that I would give the E500 another look for summer 2004, or maybe summer 2005 and sell the Volvo then if MB gets their act together... but if the rest of my experience with the Volvo matches this initial purchase experience, I will never look at an MB again... Not only have they lost this year's purchase, they may very well have missed the next five cars I purchase... Sales is the easiest job in the world if you treat people with common courtesy, respect, and fairness... how is it that there are so many bad salesmen?

-NavNut
Old 05-16-2003, 05:01 PM

2004 E350? (Awaiting Order)
I just got off the phone with MB Customer service and he stated the the NAV is the DVD version that the 2003 retrofit cars are getting, and that the 2004 cars will have this option upon initial release.

What ever it's worth!
Old 05-16-2003, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
NavNut you are so right,

regarding sales. I've been in sales in the medical industry since I got out of school (about 15 years) and you would be amazed how many people have told me "wow, how do you do it", "it must be so hard" etc. etc. Geez, all you have to do is know your product, show up every now and then, return calls, and treat people decently. You're right, it's really not that difficult. I'm glad to hear your experience with Volvo has been a pleasant one. I would love for you to write MBUSA, and tell them the difference, but they wouldn't care. Good luck with the Volvo.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:43 PM

BMW 330CIC
Originally posted by rod2004
I just got off the phone with MB Customer service and he stated the the NAV is the DVD version that the 2003 retrofit cars are getting, and that the 2004 cars will have this option upon initial release.

What ever it's worth!
I called my salesman about this thread, and he had his regional MB guy in his office when we spoke. They also confirmed DVD delivery of Nav for Sept./Oct 2004 cars and for replacement 2003's.

They said MBUSA is well aware of the feelings of customers regarding this fiasco, and would not be dragging it on until
Feb.

Of course I must also add---For what ever it's worth!!
Old 05-16-2003, 05:50 PM

2003 E500
Re: Replacment Car Nav System

Agreed. I had the Sales Manager fax me a copy of my "netstar" order for the replacement car (to make sure everything was right.. and see it myself). The NAV is INDEED listed as

COMMAND System with DVD Nav (or something similar.. BUT DOES MENTION DVD!!!). I have it in writing =)

Originally posted by Legacy
According to the copy of the order for my "replacement" E500 the navigation system is option "530 COMAND System w/DVD Navi".

This is on the NetStar order form a copy of which was faxed to me after the order was placed.

I can only assume that this means what it says.