E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Mercedes-Benz E-Class vs. new BMW 5 Series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
Mercedes-Benz E-Class vs. new BMW 5 Series

In what ways do you people think the Mercedes-Benz E-Class is better than the new BMW 5 Series? Which one would you prefer? Why?

I am also waiting for the new Audi A6.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:50 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Looks. Investment in product. Safety. Options (such as panorama roof). Those are the pluses for the E class over the Bimmer 5 in my opinion.

To elaborate, it looks like someone with an ugly stick has had access to the BMW design department. While the 5 isn't as atrocious as some of the other recent BMW's, it can't hold a candle to the new E Class. As to Investment in Product, the R&D at Mercedes put everything into the new E as a test bed for the new S Class that will follow in two years. For example the 2004 E has DVD based Command while the current S Class is still relegated to a CD version. (While on the topic of Nav systems I would not argue that BMW is a step ahead of Mercedes throughout its line.) Safety - Apart from a Volvo is there any other car you would rather be in in an accident than a Mercedes? Options - Parktronic is a superior system, the Panoramic roof is unique, Mercedes Distronic is top of the line, but it is the availability of Airmatic in the Mercedes that is most significant.

As to the Audi A6, I'd agree that the jury is still out but with Mercedes adding 4Matic to the new E Class it will still have the edge over an Audi with four wheel drive, assuming the A6 is going to be available in 4 wheel drive. Looks again would favor the Mercedes as the views I've seen of the Audi A6 look too plain vanilla and old style Volvoish to me - though I have been told that in person it looks much more stunning than on paper.

Last edited by northbenz; 06-16-2003 at 03:56 AM.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:03 AM

N/A
Thanks.

However, I don't believe Mercedes-Benz's 4Matic is better than Audi's quattro. Audi has pioneered four-wheel-drive technology, and they're very hard to beat in that sence.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
My personal opinion is get MB E class... much better look and design. I don't know much about comparing a performance. However, E class handling and performance are not that bad either. NEW BMW 5 series is ugly, if you still like bimmer go get the M3 it think much better than 5series.. but that all just my opinion go what you think it's worth so you don't regret it later on
Old 06-16-2003, 09:43 AM

I wasn't impress by the E Class

I test drove an E500 and I wasn't impress by the handling and power delivery of the car. Don't get me wrong the car is very nice looking but I care more about the handling and response of the engine.

As soon as the the new 545 330hp is at the BMW dealer I will take a test drive and make my final decision of which car to purchase.

Please take a look at http://63.90.186.73/ for a full set of pics of the new BMW 5 series
Old 06-16-2003, 10:21 AM
mco

ML430, E500
Re: I wasn't impress by the E Class

Great pics! The heads up display looks really cool!!!!!
Old 06-16-2003, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
While I don't have any real full information on the new 5, and I'm holding back judgement till I see the car, I think of the 5 and E to be different cars in a lot of ways. After having driven the E500 recently, and having just driven a lot of BMW's as well, I can say with conviction that the BMW's definately handle and feel a lot more like drivers cars. The MB's tend to be a little bit softer. And of course the MB's have higher technology levels, and better safety equipment.

The throttle response is the usual MB throttle tip-in that is common among MB's.

Until I get some real reviews on the US version of the car, and some windshield time, I can't make a judgement as of yet.

October is when the new 5 should be available in showrooms.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:23 AM

N/A
Thanks for the replies.

My father currently owns a 2001 Mercedes-Benz E240 Elegance, and yeah, I hate the way the power slowly "rolls in" when you step on the gas. I want immediate and RIGHT-NOW power! Is this true for ALL Mercedes-Benz cars?

Secondly, read the following thread I made: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=42591
Old 06-16-2003, 01:37 PM

nice pics of the 5 series...HOWEVER, i still cannot get over the hatchback trunk.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:13 PM

N/A
I guess the best option for me is to wait for the new Audi A6 or get the beautiful new Audi A8.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:10 PM

2003 E320
6 month ago I had to choose between 5-series and E class and now I am happy that I chose E class. I cannot disagree with above statements about 5-series being more of a driver's car and E being more of a luxury sedan. This is all matter of personal preferences and both cars were a very close match.
One thing you may want to pay close attention to is reliability. Word of mouth is - '02 and '03 7-series have annoyed their owners more often than you would expect. The new 5 might have inherited some of that technological frailty.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:47 PM

I had a new 1998 740 IL for 2.5 years. Great car to drive, but I could not keep it out of the shop. I probably had 18-20 trips to the dealer for warranty repairs. I have also owned a 1992 300E since new with almost 200K miles and the car has been trouble free. If the engine blew-up today, it would be the most reliable car I have ever owned. I have an E500 Sport on order and I hope I will have the same reliability.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:09 PM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
These are the most comprehensive photos I have seen of the new 5. Styling is, of course, a matter of taste. But, my opinion is that BMW has moved to what I think is a bad idea for a style theme for the 5, 7 and new Z4. They have too many transitions and bumps and angles. They look a little like a fish or shark from the front. The Z4 has what look like jowels. So, on the most important issue for me, styling, the E Class wins hands down.

I have not driven the new 5, but have driven the current one. The road feel is quite good, probably better than the E Class. But, that is the difference between a sport sedan and a luxury sedan. The E is smoother with adequate, but less road feel. The E500 is very quick, much quicker than the current 5 series I have driven (I have not driven the M5). On balance, on drive, a toss up for me with countervailing strengths. Any advantage the 5 might have on drive is more than offset by the poor styling in my opinion though.

The new A6 is something to look for. But, I doubt I would want to choose a front wheel drive car over a rear wheel drive E Class. I drove many A6's before choosing the E Class. I just could not warm up to the feel of front wheel drive.

All a matter of taste, so do what makes you happy.

Jeff
Old 06-16-2003, 06:11 PM

14 'E550
Originally posted by jhb
The new A6 is something to look for. But, I doubt I would want to choose a front wheel drive car over a rear wheel drive E Class. I drove many A6's before choosing the E Class. I just could not warm up to the feel of front wheel drive.
Actually, all Audi A6s are AWD (Quattro).....
Old 06-16-2003, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Hmmmm.

Interesting pics. When I saw the rear of the bmw, I thought I was looking at the next generation accord. Ugly taillight pattern.

As for bmw v. mb, all I can say is this: People praise the bmw's "feel for the road" or "drivability" or whatever.

That's fine. If you're 16 and you want to shift the gears on your automatic to pretend you're a racecar, then you'll probably throw a fartpipe on your exhaust too. A bmw will be right down your alley. Of course, since bmw's are mostly chick cars anyhow, it seems fitting to be a vehicle that appeals more to the younger crowd.

If, however, you are a 30-something, you will probably prefer NOT to feel the road. MB's ride is smoother, a more luxurious conveyance. Part of what MB sells is a classy ride, made for groups of adults to go out to theater/opera (nod to Todd), a nice dinner.

A bmw is what the med student drives. A MB is what the Doctor drives after he's established his/her own practice and grown up.

YMMV, My .02

(PS---Did you really think people were going to consistently or enthusiastically support the bmw here, this IS an MB forum, ya know.)

EDJ
Old 06-16-2003, 07:09 PM

2003 E320
Re: Hmmmm.

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe
since bmw's are mostly chick cars
5-series is a chick car?! I beg to differ!

A bmw is what the med student drives. A MB is what the Doctor drives
You must know some rich med students . In case you watch the Sopranos, you've noticed Jersey garbagemen also prefer MB.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:36 PM

2003 E500
Well, that is NOT the case... I will make a post later this evening in this respect. Perhaps, a more thorough review comparing a 5 series to the new E. =)

Originally posted by Kain
Thanks for the replies.

My father currently owns a 2001 Mercedes-Benz E240 Elegance, and yeah, I hate the way the power slowly "rolls in" when you step on the gas. I want immediate and RIGHT-NOW power! Is this true for ALL Mercedes-Benz cars?

Secondly, read the following thread I made: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=42591
Old 06-16-2003, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 W211 aka E-500
Re: Re: Hmmmm.

Originally posted by Gethen
5-series is a chick car?! I beg to differ!
Sorry dude, I didn't mean any offense. I'm sure many men drive bmw's too. I personally actually like the X5 and the 745il and would consider them over MB's offerings in the same categories (although the S would probably win out over the 7-series, there's no way in hell I'd buy a ML-anything over the X5).

I just meant that it seems to me usually girls drive them. Especially the 3 series. When I see one on the road, I automatically check to see if the driver chick is good looking. I don't do that with pickup trucks. YMMV, but seems to me mostly girls drive them, or that they appeal mostly to girls.

Didn't mean to say you were a girl for driving one, apologies offerred.

EDJ
Old 06-16-2003, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
I love the x5.. personally, i think X5 is much better look car than ml or even G class
Old 06-16-2003, 09:01 PM

X5 is awesome....

Had a 2001 X5 4.4,my first BMW.Hands down the best truck out there in terms of handling/driving/looks.Words cannot describe how great this truck handled,especially on the highgway at high speeds,very stable.I had a silver one and painted all the black lower body parts silver as well,it looked sweet.BMW makes a very good automobile,I have been in many of them,and it would be my second choice to Mercedes.In fact, can't we all agree that the Germans PERIOD build the best cars????

I chose the E500 over the new 5 series because I don't like the new design coming out.That being said,I'm sure its a fantastic car.But for me the new E,especially with the right mods (Lorinser comes to mind for some reason,hehe)looks alot better and is more luxurious.You cannot beat the interior,its beautiful......
Old 06-16-2003, 09:16 PM
RAI
Almost a Member!

2003 E 500
I've owned four 5 series cars over the past 10+ years, and driven several E class MBs during this period of time. One thing that is interesting to me is how much these two able competitors have merged since then in term of their luxury, sport and refinement.

10 years ago, the 5 series was clearly less refined and polished. It was sportier, but what you had to give up was just too great. The E was just unquestionably the more sophisticated and better vehicle. Its quality was better too, and it had a much more usable back seat. As a 5 series owner during this period of time, I have to admit that I had a case of "E envy". The E was just a much better overall package- the 5 was somewhat crude by comparison.

Now, though, the E has become more sporting, while retaining its sophistication and polish. Meanwhile, the 5 series has truly grown up, and now may well be close to the E in terms of polish and sophistication (I think its probably grown a tad softer in its quest for luxury in the process).

Bottom line- the E and the 5 are far more similar now than they ever have been before. They are BOTH truly wonderful vehicles- the absolute best in their class. It's impossible to say which trumps the other until the 5'ers are available for a test drive, so I'll reserve judgement until then. But, as a long-time former BMW 5 series owner who has made the switch, I can tell you for sure that the E500 is tough to beat!!!

-Bob
Old 06-17-2003, 01:32 PM

2003 E320
Re: Re: Re: Hmmmm.

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe
Didn't mean to say you were a girl for driving one
I don't have a 5 so I am not the least offended. Like I mentioned , I had almost bought a 5 last year.

BTW, what makes a "chick" car? Is it certain shape (imagine the New Beetle or Lexus SC) or is it just statistics of the gender of the drivers. I am just thinking that M3 is hardly a "chick" car, yet it has almost the same body as 3-series (which I agree, oftenly female-driven).

Sorry for offtopic
Old 06-17-2003, 02:33 PM

BMW 535d Touring
I have a new SL and a current 5 series. Prior to selling the 530dSE touring, I had a few scratches polished out, the alloys refurbished, and the interior detailed. It looks magnificent, like new!

After 50,000 miles the car is rock solid, drives so well and has not had any major problems at all. I have a local buyer, but frankly am very reluctant to part with it. The new E-class, which I was going to buy as a replacement, is close, but its not the driver's car the Beemer is, and it just doesn't have the solid, safe feel, which is why I'm reviewing the E320TD I was going to buy.

The new BMW styling is not to my taste, even though Car magazine rates it, and I'm seriously considering buying the last of the current 5-series. It is an all time classic car.

Off this weekend to try the E-class again, just in case I'm wrong!
Old 06-17-2003, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 W211 aka E-500
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hmmmm.

Originally posted by Gethen
I don't have a 5 so I am not the least offended. Like I mentioned , I had almost bought a 5 last year.

BTW, what makes a "chick" car? Is it certain shape (imagine the New Beetle or Lexus SC) or is it just statistics of the gender of the drivers. I am just thinking that M3 is hardly a "chick" car, yet it has almost the same body as 3-series (which I agree, oftenly female-driven).

Sorry for offtopic
Not a truck? Not much horsepower? Possibly a "girl's car" J/K, I pretty much,,,,welllll, ummm. I dunno. Some cars are just inherently "gay-er" than others. Mini Coopers, New Beetles, and Mazda Miatas come to mind rapidly. As do Saturns.

YMMV,

EDJ
Old 06-17-2003, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
IMO the new 5 series looks like it was hit with the ugly stick at birth.
I am reluctant to put too much credence in magazine reports of the cars either. I remember when the M3 was released and initial comparison tests with the 911 concluded the M3 to be a better handling car amongst other things. Now anyone who has driven both on a track knows that to be total BS, because the M3 doesn't actually handle that well on a track, in fact a Porsche Cayenne Turbo has just beaten an M3 times in track testing!
It wasn't until well after the release that the testers became more objective, acknowledging the cars short comings and changed their conclusion to the M3 being better value for money than the 911. Now better value for money and better are two completely different statements.
There seems to be an unhealthy bias in the motoring press towards BMW. I would advise any prospective purchasers of either to organise extended test drives of both options, for at least a weekend, and draw your own conclusions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz E-Class vs. new BMW 5 Series