E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Estimated repair costs of a totaled benz?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:52 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
'12 528i, '05 E320, '05 Jag XJ8L, '04 CLK500, '03 S600, '92 Jeep Briarwood, '79 Rolls Royce
Estimated repair costs of a totaled benz?

Hey guys! I can't get a straight-forward answer from my "trusted" mechanic... but my insurance decided to total out my car, even though there isn't much damage. The USAA insurance company wanted to pay off the USAA loan.

Long twisted story, don't ask.... .

I need to get my driver side inner & outer tie rods replaced, the driver side airmatic replaced, replace the compressor, front passenger seatbelt, and maybe---- maybe a new front bumper.

I looked up all of the prices for the parts if I wanted to do it myself, from my research I can get all the parts for under a grand.

I have a $3,000 budget max and wanted to get your guy's opinions! Thanks!
Old 01-11-2012, 02:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Arrow Do It Yourself

If you were to do a search on AutoTrader, you would find more
than 30 2005 E-320s within 200 miles for anywheres between . . .

Highest Price: $22,555

Lowest Price: $12,993

Average Price: $17,256

Hard to understand how your insurance would total out your car
if there is only $1000 worth of parts required to fix it.
Sounds to me like you may have under estimated how much the parts will run to repair it.
A front strut, being it is an air-ride shock, will cost more than $500 alone by itself.
How much might that bumper you speak of be? Of course, there is painting involved, right?

How many miles are on your car? Is it otherwise 'as new'?

Check that first one out on Autotrader. See:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

And it doesn't have airride also, which I don't have on mine either.
I do not want that because parts to fix that cost too much as you already have discovered!
Are you sure yours has airride? Most E-320s do not, as it was an extra cost option.

Of course, that listed car is priced way to high.
Although it has no miles on it, still, it is over seven years old, having been built in November, 2004.

The idea is for a person to find a good used Benz BEFORE a dealer gets it!
You want to be able to buy it for what the dealer pays for it.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. Please keep us posted.

If you can indeed fix it yourself and the car will not be stuck with a salvage title because
the insurance is declaring so, go for it because you do know that car, correct?

Good luck.

D

Last edited by Green E-300 DT; 01-11-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:46 AM

'12 528i, '05 E320, '05 Jag XJ8L, '04 CLK500, '03 S600, '92 Jeep Briarwood, '79 Rolls Royce
No airbags were blown.

With the crazy story I didn't want to get into, my insurance said that there was over $13,000 in damages. I called the yard where my insurance was keeping my vehicle and they informed me that they never came out to do an inspection. They just went based off of photos I had taken from the accident.

They said my side airbags were blown, the engine cradle was damaged, the frame was tweaked, the skid plate was trashed, all four tires were in need of replacing because of the accident, etc.

They totaled it out and paid off the loan and I was able to keep the car as well. Win Win for Zach!

The only damaged features on the car are the tie-rods which run about $25 for the inner and $100 fr the outer, the airmatic suspension which I can find for $500, and the compressor which I can find aftermarket for $150. The bumper isn't even damaged, I just want the facelift one & pointed grille.

No bodywork needs done either, its mostly just the area of the driver-side tire.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Zach8131
No airbags were blown.

With the crazy story I didn't want to get into, my insurance said that there was over $13,000 in damages. I called the yard where my insurance was keeping my vehicle and they informed me that they never came out to do an inspection. They just went based off of photos I had taken from the accident.

They said my side airbags were blown, the engine cradle was damaged, the frame was tweaked, the skid plate was trashed, all four tires were in need of replacing because of the accident, etc.

They totaled it out and paid off the loan and I was able to keep the car as well. Win Win for Zach!

The only damaged features on the car are the tie-rods which run about $25 for the inner and $100 fr the outer, the airmatic suspension which I can find for $500, and the compressor which I can find aftermarket for $150. The bumper isn't even damaged, I just want the facelift one & pointed grille.

No bodywork needs done either, its mostly just the area of the driver-side tire.
Pretty intersting way of doing business for them to not even look at your car. When my car was keyed () State Farm sent an adjuster THREE times to try and save every dollar they could delaying the repair job each time...
Old 01-11-2012, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
if its 13k in damages, why in the world would you want to fix it? U can get one that was probably not in an accident for 10k
Old 01-11-2012, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Thumbs up Sounds like a Plan

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Pretty interesting way of doing business, for them to not even look at your car. When my car was keyed () tate Farm sent an adjuster THREE times to try and save every dollar they could delaying the repair job each time . . .

I'm glad I no longer have () tate Farm!
Not only were their rates much higher than what I'm paying now, but
actions like that make me feel good that I canceled with them.

Hard to believe that they 'totaled' that car without someone actually inspecting it.
If they are trying to save money, that's not the way to do that!
I think the lot guy is mistaken about no one coming out and actually looking at that Benz.

It has all has worked out fairly well for Zach as he now has a paid off Benz that is fixable,
but I do not understand how any insurer will insure it as it will now have a 'salvaged title'
won't it? Perhaps I am wrong?

Good luck to Zach.
Watch out for those animals. Better to do what he did than to hit one head-on.
Much easier to fix suspensions than rebuild complete front ends, windshields and hoods etc.!

D
Old 01-11-2012, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
No airbags were blown.

Go here for your airmatic stuff. Struts, compressor, etc.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_MERCEDES-BENZ_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid18_pid127.html

Have fun with the project!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:09 PM

So far the project is fun!

& Green E-300 DT, I still have the same insurance as I did before....... crazy. The good thing is if it happens again, they can't total it twice
Old 01-25-2012, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
So far the project is fun!

& Green E-300 DT, I still have the same insurance as I did before....... crazy. The good thing is if it happens again, they can't total it twice
When you say still have it, are you saying they are insuring the same car again.

I believe that once it's been totalled by USAA (also my co), or any other co, they won't insure it.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
After Katrina. The answer for me on insurance companies is simple.

I trust NONE of them! If you want details you will have to PM me as it is off topic.

If the car has a twisted frame I would not rebuild it.

However I bought a recovered stolen vehicle with salavge title and have had no problems. The car only had the interior and electronics stolen chassy and running gear were sound.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vettdvr
After Katrina. The answer for me on insurance companies is simple.

I trust NONE of them! If you want details you will have to PM me as it is off topic.

If the car has a twisted frame I would not rebuild it.

However I bought a recovered stolen vehicle with salavge title and have had no problems. The car only had the interior and electronics stolen chassy and running gear were sound.
Is theft salvage really that bad? I know it hurts the value? I can get a 2006 E55 for 15k with theft salvage but worrying cause of the big letters saying SALVAGED
Old 01-26-2012, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by djrabbi
Is theft salvage really that bad? I know it hurts the value? I can get a 2006 E55 for 15k with theft salvage but worrying cause of the big letters saying SALVAGED
What is important to know is what were the repairs. In my case I inspected in and under the vehicle for damage or mods and found none. My truck was solid mechanical.

What was stolen was the interior radios/dvd's/cd player/door panel/leather seats. Basically all of the interior. If you sat on a box you could still drive the truck and it was involved in no accidents.

Find out what was the reason for the salvage and how the repairs done. I have heard of cars being cut in half, welded back together poorly and being a major safety issue.

Buyer beware. You can still do ok with a salvaged vehicle but YOU MUST check it closely before you buy.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was going to hire a PPI anyways. Seller stated only radio went missing and was replaced.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I was going to hire a PPI anyways. Seller stated only radio went missing and was replaced.

DJ,

You ARE going to get an aftermarket warranty on your new E55, right? Make sure to find out from the warranty company if they'll write a policy for a car with a branded title.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well the salvage one is DEAD last on my list...I am not worried about buying it just yet. If I get a E55 under 60k, I won't buy warranty. Anything near 100k, I will for sure!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Well the salvage one is DEAD last on my list...I am not worried about buying it just yet. If I get a E55 under 60k, I won't buy warranty. Anything near 100k, I will for sure!
Dude, you're smart. You know better than to own that car out of warranty. Just PM Bruce at Becks Imports and have him run you a quote. You'll only be able to purchase a warranty for cars under 70K miles, I do believe. Anything over that, and the warranty company won't touch it.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Listening to Marcus rant all the time does have its good side haha.....I did some research on other companies, 90k is their limit...I e-mailed Dino at veloce performance to find me E55 since his prices are really good with tuning to ECU/TCU
Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 w211 cdi, 05 slk350, R1200GS
Most people don't understand (or don't want to understand) their insurance policy, or state statutes regulating auto claims handling, or the extent of damages that carry through the vehicle from an impact. Consequently, they don't trust insurance companies. In the case of USAA not sending anyone to inspect the damage, . . .I highly doubt it. If an adjustor didn't inspect it, then a body shop estimator probably did. No insurance company will handle a claim without a comprehensive estimate unless the vehicle is a very obvious total loss.
If you think St Farm & USAA are difficult, try dealing with GEICO, . . .It took me close to 2 years to get them to settle on a $3500 vehicle claim (no injuries). This was after filing an insurance dept complaint & also going up the ladder to the top manager within their claim dept. The little lizzard sucks (IMO).