Navigation Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Too many to count
Navigation Problem

Hello,

I recently purchased a map update disc from NavTeq for my 2005 E320. I inserted the disc in the trunk, however it seldom works. I first put the disc in, and the screen said updating. When it was done, the system restarted, and it worked fine. Today I turned on the car, and noticed that it said: "Navigation Activated, please wait" It has a spinning thing below the text, and it will display this for any where between 6 seconds and 1 hour. Eventually the map comes up and everything works great. Every time I turn on the car, I experience the same thing. I tried putting the original disc back in, and it works immediately, and there is no wait upon starting the vehicle. How can I fix this?

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CLS550, 2013 GLK350 4-Matic
Originally Posted by Senatov
I recently purchased a map update disc from NavTeq for my 2005 E320...... I tried putting the original disc back in, and it works immediately, and there is no wait upon starting the vehicle.
My guess is a bad DVD. Have you called NavTeq and asked them? I'd push them for an exchange.
Mike
Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 PM

Too many to count
Originally Posted by Mike_W
My guess is a bad DVD. Have you called NavTeq and asked them? I'd push them for an exchange.
Mike
I already did, and the replacement is the disc I am talking about, it happens with both. Only the DVD that came with the car works without problems. It puzzles me.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:05 PM

E500 4M
Try updating the software version of the head unit (this will also allow you to play MP3's in the DVD slot in the dash). When I updated the Nav disk in my 2004 E500 (downloaded from the web) I first updated the head unit software version then I loaded the new DVD. By the way, the newer software requires you to completely stop the vehicle before being able to input addresses; I hate this nanny feature....
Old 03-16-2012, 09:46 PM

I already did, and the replacement is the disc I am talking about, it happens with both. Only the DVD that came with the car works without problems. It puzzles me.
So we had the same first guess. Is there anything else that you have already tried?
Mike
Old 03-20-2012, 04:52 PM

Too many to count
So we had the same first guess. Is there anything else that you have already tried?
Mike
I called the dealer, and they recommended putting the disc into my computer and making a copy onto a DVD+R DL. This fixed it. Problem Solved.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:18 PM

I called the dealer, and they recommended putting the disc into my computer and making a copy onto a DVD+R DL. This fixed it. Problem Solved.
First of all - congratulations on getting it fixed.

But that is a head scratcher - yet apparently common enough that the dealer knew what to suggest. Did your computer have any difficulty reading the NavTeq disk when you made the copy? Did it seem like it took an excessively long time to create the new disk? I wonder if you have a marginal DVD drive or if NavTeq got a bunch of “weak” disks. Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-20-2012, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
+1, that really is a head scratcher !
Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 PM

Too many to count
First of all - congratulations on getting it fixed.

But that is a head scratcher - yet apparently common enough that the dealer knew what to suggest. Did your computer have any difficulty reading the NavTeq disk when you made the copy? Did it seem like it took an excessively long time to create the new disk? I wonder if you have a marginal DVD drive or if NavTeq got a bunch of “weak” disks. Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks,
Mike

Thanks,

My computer worked fine when making the copy. No reading problems at all to report. There is something about the new NavTeq disc that made it not work. Only the original disc that came with the car, and my copy work. The new NavTeq update discs do not seem to work well in the car. Every time I start the car with it in, it reads it for about 15 minutes, and then the updated map comes up. With the copy I made, it comes right up when I turn on the car like it should.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:01 AM

2013 E350
I always make a copy of the DVD and use the copy in the car. I only use the DVD to make a new copy of the DVD whenever the one in the car stops working and that happens about once a year.