E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Opinion needed please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Opinion needed please

I was needing an opinion. My replacement car is Obs. Black and of course looks SAH-WEET with some chrome here and there.. now I don't want to overdo.. but I was thinking of adding the "V8" emblem to the front fenders near where the E55 has the V8 Kompressor emblem.

Is that poser? I'm not trying to fool people into thinking it's a E55 (I'd do an AMG exhaust, apron, etc).. but rather think it would add to the "chrome" look of the car.

So far, I'm adding the chrome door handle protectors and probably the headlight rings. NO AMG emblems planned :p

Thanks guys
Peter
Old 07-04-2003, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Nah, I don't think it's poser. the car is a V8. Just don't put the AMG badges on it. I also have been thinking of doing the AMG body kit on my replacement car, sans the AMG badges of course! Really, it's all a matter of personal likes. If you like the AMG badges, who am I to say what's right or wrong. I do see a lot of non-AMG cars with the badges on it though. I don't care, I just don't get it. I mean, it's a totally different car.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Opinion needed please

Originally posted by NitroShredder
I was needing an opinion. My replacement car is Obs. Black and of course looks SAH-WEET with some chrome here and there.. now I don't want to overdo.. but I was thinking of adding the "V8" emblem to the front fenders near where the E55 has the V8 Kompressor emblem.

Is that poser? I'm not trying to fool people into thinking it's a E55 (I'd do an AMG exhaust, apron, etc).. but rather think it would add to the "chrome" look of the car.

So far, I'm adding the chrome door handle protectors and probably the headlight rings. NO AMG emblems planned :p

Thanks guys
Peter
yea, i dont think your going to be posing at all. it would look nice with all that chrome.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:22 PM

Dont do it

It screams " my next purchase is mudflaps and curb feelers". Personally,I like a minimum amount of badging on the car. My rear says e500 and Lorinser,thats it.The sport emblems on the front fenders were taken off right away,and when my plain chrome frame comes in the dealer plate frame is gone too.If your doing the AMG kit,that will be more then enough for people to take notice,and know your car is special without being tacky.Let the "real" AMG cars have their badging,they are a step above and beyond our cars,and should have that little extra touch.I believe your car will look much better with the kit,and just a plain old e500 badge on the back........
Old 07-04-2003, 05:27 PM

2010 E550
What V8 emblem are you talking about?
Old 07-04-2003, 06:16 PM

2003 E500
It's the V8 emblem from the AMG V8 Kompressor. Not the Kompressor.. JUST the V8
Old 07-05-2003, 12:16 AM

2003 E500 SPORT
Thumbs up

Personaly ,I like the idea of the V8 badge. Can you order just the V8 in chrome? Advise with a photo on how it looks. The obsidian black is our color as well and is one of the best with the sport package in my opinion of course.

Derek.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:37 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
If you are getting the AMG kit why not add the AMG badge. In Canada (at least on the SL500's) they include the AMG badge as part of the AMG appearance "sport" package sans the 55 engine. Of course when the hood is popped it would be a little tacky to mislabel the motor.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:05 AM

I would need to agree with e500lorinser.
You are ordering an exclusive and expen-
sive automobile that most people could
never begin to afford. Those who know/understand prestigious automobiles would know what the 500
classification stood for. Those who don't,
really don't merit any further explanation.
I drive my car because I have researched
it fully, and because I enjoy it; not to
impress anyone else. These cars are
beautifully designed, and need no further
badging.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:09 AM

Put it this way..............

GRT62 makes an excellent point. "WE" know which cars in the MB line are which,and I'd venture a guess most of us know the difference between a BMW 5 series and an M5,and offerings from Audi,Porshe and the like.I'd like to think we belong to an exclusive club.We don't need to impress the "fast and furious" ricer crowd,most of them couldnt tell the difference among out cars,let alone afford them.Its a free country,do what you want,but I think some valid points were made.

There were so many of you on this board when I first was deciding between Lorinser or AMG,that absolutely did not like the Lorinser kit.Well,after having the car now over a week,and getting jaws dropping everywhere I go(benz AND ricer crowd),I know I made the right choice.So again,what do a bunch of people on a message board know?LOL,weigh all options then do what makes you happy........
Old 07-08-2003, 10:15 AM

2010 E550
Re: Put it this way..............

Originally posted by E500Lorinser
GRT62 makes an excellent point. "WE" know which cars in the MB line are which,and I'd venture a guess most of us know the difference between a BMW 5 series and an M5,and offerings from Audi,Porshe and the like.I'd like to think we belong to an exclusive club.We don't need to impress the "fast and furious" ricer crowd,most of them couldnt tell the difference among out cars,let alone afford them.Its a free country,do what you want,but I think some valid points were made.

There were so many of you on this board when I first was deciding between Lorinser or AMG,that absolutely did not like the Lorinser kit.Well,after having the car now over a week,and getting jaws dropping everywhere I go(benz AND ricer crowd),I know I made the right choice.So again,what do a bunch of people on a message board know?LOL,weigh all options then do what makes you happy........
So, does that mean you are leaving it alone? Stock?
Old 07-08-2003, 10:24 AM

Me STK?

Nope,my mods have already been done,and I will post the pics when I get them out of my girls cam.I think you will be pleasently suprised. Now,back to the V8 badge...is this guy getting it or what????????
Old 07-08-2003, 10:39 AM

2010 E550
I don't know if he gets it. I sure do. As I said in a previous post:
I ordered my E500 set up just the way I wanted and in the colors I wanted. I, like others, anguished over the color choices. Also, I, probably like others, have had second thoughts about my color choice. Would one of the blacks look more sporty? Would one of the silvers look classy? Would Platinum Blue look more unique?

Well, after having driven this car for 3000 miles I have come to a conclusion. The color doesn't mean anything compared to what's underneath it. This is one of the finest "do it all" automobiles made. Every day I drive it this feeling is reinforced and becomes stronger as I become more and more comfortable in the car and all of it's capabilities.

Like I tell friends. "If I had to have only one automobile to drive for all occasions (which is true except for my wife's QX4) and money was NO object I would buy this car and no other".

So, I have stopped second guessing my color choice and concentrate on the fact that for my purposes I have the best car money can buy.

IT'S NOT HOW YOU BADGE IT, IT'S WHAT YOU GOT!
Old 07-08-2003, 12:12 PM

2003 E500
Point taken. I am not merely trying to advertise, or pose as an AMG vehicle. I simply think some "chrome" would look good on the fender at that spot. Esp with the car being Osb. black. Many cars over the years have had pieces there indicating engine displacement or something else. Going back to the Mustang's 5.0 to the current crop of bimmer's and Benzo's with V8 and V12 (or even 4.4i or 3.0i etc).

I'm just dressing up my benzo with some chrome. I suppose to could go to Pep Boys and buy a "Type R" badge and put it on the trunk. YES!! I'll do that too LOL!!

Point taken guys. Of course most people that drool over my car at a light (never need a W211 before).. probably think it IS a 320 (no offense guys). You see VERY FEW E430's, E500's and even BMW 540's in our area. The six cyl. versus are infinitely more popular. BTW: I just noticed the G500 ALSO has a V8 emblem in that spot. =)

Peter
E500 Si, Type R-S, SS :p
Old 07-08-2003, 04:19 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I say let the exhaust rumble speak for itself. I'm more of the debadging type myself (it's the first thing I did after taking delivery)

My wife was teasing me though... she asked me - "if you had an E55 - would you debage it?"

I had to tell the truth and say - "Hell No!" :p

Get an nice exhaust for your E500 instead of a V-8 badge.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:27 AM

2003 E500
Gosh, I wish my wife KNEW what an E55 was.. she's like.. OH the overpriced E class.. Oh ok!

Exhaust is an option =)
Old 07-09-2003, 12:48 AM

No offense Nitro....

I hope you took my comments the right way.I just hate to see what some people do to our cars.I believe in kits,in exhaust,and definetly in rims and tint.But when I see pinstriping,extra badging,neon lights,mirror tint,chrome wheelwell covers,giant spoilers,blue lights on the windshield washers,spinning wheels etc etc.I just want to take the person,calmy say "How ya doin?" and do this to their heads I know it shouldnt bother me,but you have no idea what I see here in NY on a daily basis.The things people do to their cars,its laughable.I pull up to them at lights,just look over and shake my head (it helps being a 250lb bodybuilder,hehe) But again,we live in a great country,and it allows stupid people with no taste and no class,to exist among us.In no way am I comparing you to these fools,your idea is not a very bad one,just something I personally wouldnt do..............
Old 07-09-2003, 12:52 AM

2003 E500
Thanks man.. I totally understand where you're coming from. I have SEEN more than my share of "riced" out rides.. esp some of the german variety (i.e. BmW, and benz). I have taste.. and my wife wouldn't let me do anything silly to it anyways.

She loves to show off our car when we go to social events. Otherwise, it's just a car to her. =)
Old 08-14-2003, 02:25 AM

W211, landcruiser
badges

i think having fewer badges is the better way to go. it makes a statement only to the crowd that knows their stuff.