E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

ESP no crank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 e350
If it was a crank shaft positioning sensor issue, it would crank and not start. This is for vehicles that will not crank after sitting parked for several of minutes and takes multiple attempts to cranking the vehicle but turning key several of time before it finally does crank and start. I have found that the relay in ki position under hood has been the culprit. You can switch it with you Air suspension relay and test.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:20 PM
VII

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
2016 S65, 2014 SLK55 (Previous 2013 SLK350, 2008 CLS63, 2006 E350, 2006 CLS500, 2005 C230K)
You are right, I withdraw the CPS recommendation.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:28 PM

w211 320CDI
Hello guys

I have similar problem with my w211 320cdi. I drive and suddenly engine stall and starts up again after about 3 seconds.. and it happened again but no longer started itself. I stopped the car and tried to start engine myself but theres no Glow blug light and No Crank No Start. (ABS/ESP malf. Visit Workshop)
All fuses and relays are OK. In front SAM theres one Relay what dont close when i turn ignition on. Ecu just dont want to put Ground in this relay and when i manipulate the relay then i can start a car. I have some error codes like (I have bosch reader)
2133 Glow plug cyl1 Fault operation (Dont
P2311 CAN communication with engine control unit not plausible and coolant temp not plausible (when relay is open, ingition on)
9081 Terminal 61 Signal OPEN CIRCUIT
My Gearbox 13pin socket was replaced but the TCU socket was oily
Old 03-03-2020, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
A very tiny amount of oil in the 13pin connector shouldn’t disable the car

start with the basics, have you tested fuel pressure? Sometimes a failing crank sensor can shut down a car
Old 03-03-2020, 12:18 PM

w211 320CDI
Fuel pressure or crank sensor and No Crank No Start?
Old 03-03-2020, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
I’m unsure what you mean

but testing fuel pressure is a very important step in diagnosing fuel injected cars. You can save a lot of money and headaches by renting a fuel pressure tester for free
Old 09-26-2023, 08:33 AM

w211 x204
Originally Posted by Aliradmand
If it was a crank shaft positioning sensor issue, it would crank and not start. This is for vehicles that will not crank after sitting parked for several of minutes and takes multiple attempts to cranking the vehicle but turning key several of time before it finally does crank and start. I have found that the relay in ki position under hood has been the culprit. You can switch it with you Air suspension relay and test.

Hello, where is relay in ki postion under the hood? i dont now what it meens ki postion? my car is w211 2005 year and it have what problem not crank, not start, and show esp abs
Old 12-17-2023, 08:16 PM

2007 Mercedes 320 Bluetec
Ten years Later - Old thread never dies

Well, just purchased an 07 E320 CDI NO CRANK NO START I have another one that I bought last year with a knock in the engine but at least it starts. I am hoping to get this newly purchased "dead" car running. So on my first day at it my ICAR Soft tells me it cant commuicate with the ECM.

Did the following - Good Strong Battery 12.5+ volts
No power at Fuse 43 or 44. !
Suspect Front Sam or ECM ground issue.
Scanned the car but did not delete any of the historical codes. ( Perhaps I should go back and do this )
Also got carried away with the Youtube video
and jumpered the start relay and all i got was a fan going full speed and a glow plug light for a few seconds but still no crank.

Don't know where to go from here. I do have a spare car same make and model just wondering if i should change both the front sam and ECU and do another scan.

What do you guys think?

Old 12-18-2023, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,041 Likes on 2,020 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
TROUBLESHOOTING 101...

Old thread are the best place to understand something to get things running

Presumably this car does not like .... something

The faster you can figure why the logic is not powering up, the perfectly good parts you'll be tempted to replace with look-alikes.
These parts are coded to your VIN. Used modules are not the first move!

Even swaping relays can be fatal (diode, no-diode, resistor,...).

> No Crank, no ECU, no joy:
Lets stay in the driver seat for now near the OBD DLC Plug. These cars are nearly intelligent. Let's hear what yours has to say:

- 1 - Go look into EIS module Data Stream with ignition On position 1 (less drain)... anything looks alive when you cycle ignition??

- 2 - Go look into driver side F-SAM module: same exercise as above. Toggle things

- 3 - Here at this stage you should have a better understanding of status.

- 4 - Scan the whole car, submit laundry list of faults - Never mind ECU for now. We know car is just not in the mood to go out.

We'll get you hands dirty once we know where to poke. I see schematics in your near future!

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 12-18-2023 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-18-2023, 06:51 PM

Thankyou for having the confidence in me to carry out my landry!! The problem is i have no soap!!. Can't wash without the soap kinda thing. I am in a position where i am miles away from a dealer in northern canada and things here are different than in Silicon Valley. I have the i Car soft so i can scan each module individually and then go from there. It iwll happen. just waiting for the wind to go down below 80 mph so i can get back at it.
Old 12-18-2023, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Steve _KTM
Thank you for having the confidence in me to carry out my landry!! The problem is i have no soap!!. Can't wash without the soap kinda thing.

I am in a position where i am miles away from a dealer in northern canada and things here are different than in Silicon Valley.

I have the i Car soft so i can scan each module individually and then go from there. It will happen. just waiting for the wind to go down below 80 mph so i can get back at it.
We'll help you out! I really feel for what you guys put up with up their. I watch many of Canadian shows. Yello knife ice roads, Yukon gold mining... Hats off to tough guys.

I don't need to read you anything about not draining battery while playing with your scanner.

Do this:
- 1 - Go look into EIS module Data Stream with ignition On position 1 (less drain)... anything looks alive when you cycle ignition??

- 2 - Go look into driver side F-SAM module: same exercise as above. Toggle things

- 3 - Here at this stage you should have a better understanding of status.

- 4 - Scan the whole car, submit laundry list of faults - Never mind ECU for now. We know car is just not in the mood to go out.
Old 12-19-2023, 01:31 PM

Screen shots

OK Calibenzdriver,

The Scanner i have does not produce live stream. It is the I Car Soft MB V2.0. But i was able to do a manual scan of many of the modules.

First off, the ECU has no link. Cannot scan it.
Delected all current codes on all systems and re-scanned.
I now have the following current codes.
Sorry, there is bound to be erroneous info in my pics. In reviewing the pics I do see voltage hovering around 12 V on one module but i do have the charger on and its at least 12.5 back in the trunk. I'm going to look into it a little more.

Also, my clock is not resetting today. i'm stuck in another time zone.

All sam units have no codes
The TCM has no codes
The EIS has no codes
The steering column, instrument cluster and the ecm will not talk.

Old 12-19-2023, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Great! You do have 46 Modules. Your chassis is nearly ok.
ECM is present but is not playing along for some reason.

Before we waste time chassis our tail lets look at history of this car for parts replacement.

I have yo run out but make sure you power up ignition to talk to ECU!!

Get yourself a good cheap scanner such as LAUNCH CReader Elite for Benz.
Old 12-19-2023, 04:23 PM

Options with present scanner.

[QUOTE=CaliBenzDriver;8895034]Great! You do have 46 Modules. Your chassis is nearly ok.

Before we waste time chassis our tail lets look at history of this car for parts replacement.

Get yourself a good cheap scanner such as LAUNCH CReader Elite for Benz.[/QUOTE

Do you have any other options instead of purchasing more specialized tools. This will delay me considerably. I have a used car similar to this one. Can I just change the ecm amd scan it to see if I can make continuity to it.
Old 12-21-2023, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=Steve _KTM;8895046]
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
Great! You do have 46 Modules. Your chassis is nearly ok.

Get yourself a good cheap scanner such as LAUNCH CReader Elite for Benz.[/QUOTE

Do you have any other options instead of purchasing more specialized tools. This will delay me considerably. I have a used car similar to this one. Can I just change the ecm amd scan it to see if I can make continuity to it.
This would be like trying to use your neighbors key to open your front door. Fits perfect but does not unlock.

All your engine security parts are paired together. Don't upset that too much as these parts can lockup solid. I recommend against swapping these parts.

If this car has used DONOR PARTS... they are likely your current problem.

Let's try not to overlook the obvious first. If your scanner can not read live data to troubleshoot modules, get one that can. It pays for itself.

Imagine I send you to get firewood with a knife instead of an axe... doesn't matter how hard you try.

I really dig Canadian ingenious bush fixes.
Gene Cheeseman was an inspiring master at making practical miracle happen.

GoldRush mining characters
Gene is reportedly still working with Tony and has no issue performing under his realistic control.
The overtime required to act in the show was not rewarding.
✌️

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 12-21-2023 at 12:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Steve _KTM (12-21-2023)