E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

COMMAND: CD Text

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
COMMAND: CD Text

IN the manual it refers to the CD Changer (and I THINK CD0) as being able to display CD_Text on the Comand screen. Of course, CD text being a new standard.. I have ZERO CD's with CDtext. So I decided to try to make one. After downloading a couple of programs.. I burned myself an audio CD from some mp3's I had.. and entered the Artist and song name... Sure enough.. the info APPEARS on the COMAND screen. Very neat indeed.

I tried it in CD0 and all I got was the regular <CD0> and the Track # below it.. but when I put the same CD in the changer... it appeared correctly.

So I discovered one "burned" cd's will work in the car (and sound good too.. ), and the CDtext can be done at home.. and adds some "WOW!!" factor. Esp if someone is riding in your car.. the song and artist appear on the screen.

Anyways, I will try to take some pix this week.... now where did I put the digi camera. =)

Peter
Old 08-01-2003, 09:22 AM

2003 MB E500
I've burned CD's from other CD's not MP3 files so i knew they worked in the car. My Q is how can I add the artist and song name when just making a dup?

Last edited by rayscar; 08-01-2003 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:32 AM

2003 E500
You need to use a special program for burning the CD's. It has to support the CD Text format... once done.. just take the mp3's, make sure the artist/song info is correct (you can change it if you need), and then burn away.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:03 AM

2004 S55
Just to let you know, CD-Text is not new. Although not commonly used for commercially produced CDs, you can find pre-recorded discs that have CD-Text encoded info. One very popular album I know of off the top of my head is the Dixie Chicks "Home".

In case anyone was wondering how it works behind the scenes, the process Nitro is describing takes the ID3 Tag info on the MP3 music file and converts it to CD-Text when the WAV (WAV is the sound file format of songs on standard pre-recorded CDs) audio CD is created from these MP3 files.

Jeff

Last edited by rgbyhkr; 08-01-2003 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
It is true that the CD-Text has been around a while. I am not sure about other burning software, but Adaptec's Easy CD Creator, the newer versions, have this option you can check off to burn CD-Text information as well when you actually create the CD. And, not that I am assuming that anyone would break the law and download mp3 files off the internet, but you will need to make sure that you modify those mp3 ID tags, since they will be wrong about 90% of the time.

And I have to say I can't wait for this new COMAND system when I get my car. What a cool feature. I always have friends in the car who ask what song is playing. Now I can just have them look at the screen.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:17 AM

2004 S55
Yeah, song and album names are always cool to display. One format which has this that I really liked but has never caught on very well here in the US (although it is still going strong in Japan) is Minidisc. Recordable Minidisc units have been around for a while and you have full editable controls over track title, album titel, artist title, song addition, deletion, splitting and combining all on a smaller than CD-sized disc.

Jeff
Old 08-01-2003, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
rays, i am not sure if it has been said or not, but when you burn yourself a cd, when you drag the files you can change the name of it, like from kazaa, the name might be wrong, or the artist might be spelled wrong, i can post a pic of my camry with my mp3 deck that has cd text. its a good feature with mp3's because i have a lot of songs on each cd, and forget what the name is called

the song and artist just scroll over and over
Attached Thumbnails COMMAND: CD Text-p7310009.jpg  
Old 08-01-2003, 04:24 PM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by bmms8
rays, i am not sure if it has been said or not, but when you burn yourself a cd, when you drag the files you can change the name of it, like from kazaa, the name might be wrong, or the artist might be spelled wrong, i can post a pic of my camry with my mp3 deck that has cd text. its a good feature with mp3's because i have a lot of songs on each cd, and forget what the name is called

the song and artist just scroll over and over
Thanks bmms8. I do have some CD's that dispaly artist and title on the car but the ones I burned don't and I don't remember seeing anything to let me add that information. I'm going to check. it is a cool feature.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:03 PM

2003 E500
Ok, here's a BAD photo I took today with my cheap digi-camera.. it's a bit out of focus.. but I think you can read the Artist and Song title... the CD title is "Custom CD" or something.. I guess I can change that too....

Peter

PS: Edit: I guess the pic didn't attach.. ARGH!!!
Old 08-03-2003, 10:05 PM

2003 E500
pic attempt 2
Attached Thumbnails COMMAND: CD Text-cdtext.jpg