E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

NE1 remove their top speed limiter yet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 06:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
'05 E55
NE1 remove their top speed limiter yet?

Has anyone found a way to remove their top speed limiter yet? I have the Powerchip ECU upgrade, but that doesn't yet remove it. Powerchip has been promising it for almost a year now, but every time I call them on their development process I get the same story, basically that they have not yet been able to break the Bosch code that controls top speed in the ECU unit for the E. I know Powerchip has done it in the E55, but still claim they can;t do it for the E500. I am beginning to doubt their claim, and think it has more to do with liability issues than software. I know when I was at Powerchip they were very concerned with tire ratings on the E500. I have Z rated tires on mine so they were OK with that, but I think they may be concerned that most E's have crappy tires, and really should not be driven over 150 MPH. Has anyone removed theirs yet with another software? I have hit that top speed limit so many times now and it drives me crazy.... and please no comments about why/where I drive that fast
Old 11-25-2003, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2007 BMW 335i Coupe & 1991 Honda Accord
Re: NE1 remove their top speed limiter yet?

Originally posted by EPower
I have hit that top speed limit so many times now and it drives me crazy.... and please no comments about why/where I drive that fast
I haven't removed mine but would love to do so. Don't believe it's right for a very capable car like the E to be limited to 130 mph. I may not drive that fast often but just don't like the idea of being limited or restricted to anything. My friend in Germany always talks about how solid the E feels at speeds of 140+.

Out of curiousity, what happens when you hit the top speed limit? Does the fuel shut off?
Old 11-25-2003, 07:54 PM

2012 CL550
When you hit top speed the car just won't go any faster. Not sure what is technically happening, but you can feel it powering down. There is definitely more power available than 130 mph....
Old 11-25-2003, 08:41 PM

call BRABUS for part#000-699-00 V-max unit, unblock computer controlled speed limiter incl. 200mph speedometer. buy from reputable source, powerchip has warranty only to the chip itself not to the car.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brabus

I was about to say the same. Brabus offers a top speed governor removal. I wonder if it stays that way then or if it gets put back down to 130 if the reset some electronics during servicing at MB.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
The 130mph top speed is obviously another 'American Option'. As I stated previously both the UK E320 and E320CDI are limited to a top speed of 145mph. (we have a National top speed of 70mph on motorways and derestricted dual carriageways)

Does the US E-class have the Automatic Lights option? This is a standard fitting on the light switch whereby the lights automatically switch on in poor visibility?

John Shorter
Torquay
England
Old 12-07-2003, 09:34 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
Yes, John, we have an "A" just to the right of the off position on the light switch, activating headlights when darkness warrants. Additionally, if you choose to activate Daytime Running lights (low powered headlights-only on the standard bulbs and normal brightness headlights on the Xenons) via the Multi-Function panel, the rest of the car's lights and the full intensity headlights will also activate in dark conditions even though the switch reads "off".
Old 12-07-2003, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Originally posted by jim256
Yes, John, we have an "A" just to the right of the off position on the light switch, activating headlights when darkness warrants. Additionally, if you choose to activate Daytime Running lights (low powered headlights-only on the standard bulbs and normal brightness headlights on the Xenons) via the Multi-Function panel, the rest of the car's lights and the full intensity headlights will also activate in dark conditions even though the switch reads "off".
Of course, if we activate the Daytime Running lights we will look like Canadians

In Canada, the daylight running light is fixed on, on all cars.
A number of Ford and GMC cars are built in Canada as well as the US. I have had GMC products that were built in Canada and had the running lights fixed on.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the replies. I never realised that you had to have the 'day' running lights in Canada. This is not meant as a criticism, more to highlight my ignorance.

There does not appear to be too many owners of the Estate version of the E class on the forum at present. If anyone is out there, what are your observations on the new E class with the different Easy Pack options?

Regards,
John
Old 01-08-2004, 02:01 AM

2003 E500
Re: NE1 remove their top speed limiter yet?

Originally posted by EPower
Has anyone found a way to remove their top speed limiter yet? I have the Powerchip ECU upgrade, but that doesn't yet remove it. Powerchip has been promising it for almost a year now, but every time I call them on their development process I get the same story, basically that they have not yet been able to break the Bosch code that controls top speed in the ECU unit for the E. I know Powerchip has done it in the E55, but still claim they can;t do it for the E500. I am beginning to doubt their claim, and think it has more to do with liability issues than software. I know when I was at Powerchip they were very concerned with tire ratings on the E500.
Not sure if you have had your question answered yet, but there is a shop in southern california (right up the road from you !) called Evosport. (www.evosport.com) that told me they would do a chip rework including the speedo removal for $1500. Might want to look into that.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by glojo

There does not appear to be too many owners of the Estate version of the E class on the forum at present.
The original code of the Wagon is S211 and the Sedan is W211. Go figure...

In Germany the Wagon is called Touring (T-modelle), and in Scandinavia a Station Wagon. And in the UK, "Estate"....
Old 01-08-2004, 05:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi 'Oslo'
Thank you very much for the reply. I like the idea of having an 'S' class Estate. (S211) It appeals to my cheeky sense of humour. From now on if anyone asks I have an 'S' class estate.

I do like the picture and specification of your 'S' class estate. Iam anxiously waiting to take delivery of mine. It is shown as a January one build and my dealer has told me to contact him next week, when hopefully he should have some firm dates for me.

The Linguatronic option is not available on the estate in the UK. I note that you have the electric opening tailgate. Did you also go for the easypack loading floor option?

Bye for now,
John
Old 01-08-2004, 05:35 AM

The Linguatronic option is not available on the estate in the UK. I note that you have the electric opening tailgate. Did you also go for the easypack loading floor option?

Bye for now,
John
Hi John!

Do not accept it when they telling you that the Linguatronic is not available. They told me that too! It was correct until end of September 2003 where the Linguatronic didn't work very well. Now, it's a very solid product. As a Norwegian, my English pronunciation is not perfect, but it never misses. Also, there are functions in the Linguatronic that you can’t get without it, such as a specific house number in the Navigation. Manual input will only give you a range. Storing radio stations works better, since the wheel control doesn’t scan through presets stations.

I do not have the EasyPack floor option, only the EasyPack Fix kit. The electric tailgate is OK, especially at this time of the year where we have extremely dirty roads. Keep your fingers clean… And it’s impressive when you open the tailgate remote with the key as you are approaching the car…..
Old 01-08-2004, 06:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now I find out. Typical. I would definitely have gone for Linguatronic. The car is for my wife, and as you say the options that become available are a huge bonus.

Oh well, I should of paid more attention to the specifications of your car, then I would of had time to hopefully change it.

I note that it is a Kompressor, it also looks like the Avantgarde model. Do you have that version in Norway? Mine will be the 320CdI Avantgarde.

Nice speaking to you,
John
Old 01-08-2004, 11:13 AM

I note that it is a Kompressor, it also looks like the Avantgarde model. Do you have that version in Norway? Mine will be the 320CdI Avantgarde.
Yes. we have the European versions (Classic, Elegance and Avantgarde), and mine is the Avantgarde. You can see that from the blue window tint. I know you (and your wife) will be very pleaced with your new car. After 15 years with different BMW's I am extremely happy with my MB.

(I have PM'ed you my e-mail address. Keep in touch when your new car arrives.)
Old 01-08-2004, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the kind offer.

John