E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

help please, weight sensor fault 2008 E550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E550
help please, weight sensor fault 2008 E550

Good evening everyone, I really need some help, bare with me as I explain..

I was unfortunately in a car accident 2 months ago where my 2008 E550 right front corner and side were impacted. The passenger side air bags deployed, nothing else.

The car is at a local 'Mercedes authorized sevice center' who is stating to me that, and I quote:

"We have discovered a weight sensor fault for the passenger front seat that at this time are unable to clear from the system. We have placed a call to the shop foreman at Mercedes Benz of Littleton to see if they can clear the code remotely, this fault is directly linked to your S.R.S. system and we must have it cleared prior to the car leaving as it is a safety device."

I am no mechanic, but what is he talking about 'remotely'?? They have had my car for 2 months...and now they have this issue after everything else has been fixed. Anyone can help me steer this collision center in the right direction? I am lost and so frustrated with what has transpired, and it seems that a simple sensor should be easily corrected....
any ideas guys/gals? I don't know what to do, afterall, THEY are the repair center, right? (this repair center is affiliated with Audi btw).....

Old 06-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
Well that is a new one.

Sounds like you chose the wrong shop, however faults can be removed remotely as long as the mux is plugged into the car and the broadcasting wifi system is strong enough for the signal to be received at the Littleton shop laptop. That distance is not available commercial technology.

Simply have the AH's drive the car to a MB dealership who will determine if just clearing the fault will suffice or the car needs a new sensor---did you find these folks at a paint ball convention!!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:36 PM

2009 E550
Thanks...this collision center was referred to me by Mercedes of Littleton here in Denver Colorado...Mercedes of Littleton calls it their 'sister shop'...when inanimate objects became siblings must coincide with the introduction of weed for recreational use.

I don't know what to tell these guys. I even spoke with the GM there...seemed like a decent fellow.

Any other suggestions or opinions, I need my vehicle back and its like these guys are in love with it or something they just dont want to give it back!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:15 PM

2009 E550
Well, the mercedes service center is across town about 25 miles away to where the car is at the collision center...so the 'remote' reset is an improbable statemtn, is that right?
Old 06-19-2014, 01:36 AM

2009 E550
Can someone, anyone, please give me a knowledgable response I can state to this body shop rep, I feel they are treating me like an idiot, and I really do not have any recourse...its as if they are just holding my car hostage or something...please, any help????
Old 06-19-2014, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 762 Likes on 741 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
they should replace the sensor, not clear the error msg...
Old 06-19-2014, 01:46 AM

2009 E550
Thanks for the response.
Supposedly they did this since the car, being in an accident, they replaced all the sensors? I just don't know what to do. From his 'remote' reset comment, which in hindsight sounds absurd, is there something I can tell him or request him to do definitively to solve this?

Pretty absurd that I, a person with no mechanical inclinations, is trying to find answer for a 'Mercedes authorized collision center' (prestige imports in Lakewood Colorado)....absolutely disgusting.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 762 Likes on 741 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MBE550wow
Thanks for the response.
Supposedly they did this since the car, being in an accident, they replaced all the sensors? I just don't know what to do. From his 'remote' reset comment, which in hindsight sounds absurd, is there something I can tell him or request him to do definitively to solve this?

Pretty absurd that I, a person with no mechanical inclinations, is trying to find answer for a 'Mercedes authorized collision center' (prestige imports in Lakewood Colorado)....absolutely disgusting.
yea, take it to the dealer and have them fix it...