Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Major Service: Transmission and brake flush +

Major Service today: Transmission and brake flush + bunch of other stuff

Went for Service D but it was charged as Service B plus ATF flushed as it was due since the vehicle recently crossed 39K miles (in seven years of use) and regular Service was due in 400 miles or so

Total bill was $1222.00 (incl tax) Transmission Service, Engine Oil/Filter, Brake fluid flush/replace/bleed, fuel filter replace, combination filter replace plus usual Service checks.

Total was despite a discounted labor rate (old rate $118/hr instead of $127/hr) plus $75 additional discount. At least it's all done in a day. + new re-replacement OEM battery

Included $415 for Transmission service . My wife laughed and said I should have paid a lot less for Transmission service hence here's the breakdown and would like to compare notes with others who had this done at MB

Labor 177.oo
6 Tr Oil 156.00
6 Screws 19.38
Oil Filter 37.38
Gasket 22.10
Ring 3.23
Total 415.09

Battery:
I had the battery replaced with an OEM one 9/13 last year by roadside assistance (MBRACE) who came to my home; replaced only because I felt it was getting very slightly sluggish when starting from cold following six years of use. The new battery was somehow not up to par (OEM battery) paid $330 for it. I remember calling MB roadside assistance again in Feb 14 when car failed to start one morning after sitting in the garage for a week; MB techie said I needed to take it to MB and they would check it for a fee. Screw that I thought. Ended up purchasing a top of the line CTEK charger however the battery would still lose charge if it sat for a more than a couple of days. I mentioned this to the SA today and he said he'd re-replace the battery, even though he saw I had an amp wired to it; the amp was there long before the first battery replacement and to confirm there was no ambient amp draw, I had purchased a Fluke 325 AC/DC clamp meter despite could not detect anything. Let's see how the new battery goes.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
prices down here are very different compared to yours but I had my E serviced a couple of months ago, it was a minor service but I had the transmission oil changed and it cost me AU$980. basically engine oil change, oil filter, transmission oil and filter and the works. Now I had my wifes CLK serviced a month ago. its service D, so everything you mentioned above plus coffee and donuts, cost me AU$2600 altogether!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:02 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,056 Likes on 977 Posts
1999 E300TD
I know this sounds 1940ish, however who wears the pants in your family??

Additionally,I would also go through her closet and maybe make suggestions as to spending less on shoes, dresses and possibly shopping at walmart!!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Plutoe
I know this sounds 1940ish, however who wears the pants in your family??

Additionally,I would also go through her closet and maybe make suggestions as to spending less on shoes, dresses and possibly shopping at walmart!!
Quite the opposite...she's a very good wife, I'm the spender in the family. I can still remember the time (long time ago) when I complained to her she wasn't spending enough; those days I had more money than sense.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI

Last edited by beejAMG; 06-26-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
640i Gran Coupé
Originally Posted by pinebaron
Included $415 for Transmission service . My wife laughed and said I should have paid a lot less for Transmission service
What does she suggest, that you do it yourself? It's a nasty, messy, unpleasant job if you drop the pan, otherwise you need a suction thingie and... oh heck, I'm not twenty anymore!

Sure, you could have taken it to an independent and they probably would have saved you $100. But this way you got everything done at one place in one day, it looks better for resale should you ever sell it, and presumably they'll stand behind the work.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
Originally Posted by pinebaron
I had the battery replaced with an OEM one 9/13 last year by roadside assistance... The new battery was somehow not up to par (OEM battery) paid $330 for it.
Wow. For what it's worth, a trip to the Advance Auto Parts on Route 70 W there in Marlton would have gotten you their platinum H8 AGM (group 49) battery installed for free, and it sells for between $160 and $188, depending on the specials that are often run on it, and you can always find a 20 percent off coupon on their web site. There is no material difference between that and the OE battery, except the price. They will also test your existing battery for free with a Midtronics tester, which is the one Mercedes says is the only one to use because it's the only one that gives a reliable reading on AGM battery condition. That can save you some money over your subjective analysis of whether it's cranking sluggishly...money you can use to buy that nice wife of yours some chocolates and roses.

And if you ever want to replace it yourself, this battery is a fine one, and at a hard price to beat from Amazon for $145 with free Prime shipping:
Amazon.com: ACDelco 49AGM Professional Automotive AGM BCI Group 49 Battery: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 49AGM Professional Automotive AGM BCI Group 49 Battery: Automotive
Hard for them to keep in stock, but usually back in stock in a day or two. Just today, another company has also started selling the battery when Amazon is out, and they want almost $275 for it. Don't buy it from them. Wait for Amazon to get it back in stock, and buy it for $145 from Amazon. That way you know you're getting an authentic, fresh battery.

FWIW, Mercedes says never to wire a stereo to the battery, because it screws up the BCM's ability to function correctly, regardless of your magic with the Fluke meter. It needs to go in the proper circuit.

The transmission service is a rip-off, but I think it's important to do it at the dealer (and the brake flush if you have SBS brakes, and any flush of the transfer case, because if they end up destroying the transmission or a problem arises in the SBS system, you can argue that it's their fault and they may be able to find a way to get HQ to pay for it). My dealer only charges an hour of labor, at $135/hr, to do the brake flush, but they charge $68 for the Valvoline Professional fluid, which is essentially 2 times $7 retail worth of Valvoline DOT 3/4. They get you coming and going, but it may be insurance in the long run. Not so with the battery...

And for what it's worth, getting an oil change and combo filter change at the dealer is also giving them high-margin work. It's not hard to do both yourself, but even a place like Pep Boys will do a credible job on a Mobil 1 oil change, and you'll be in and out for about $130 (and they, too, often have coupons you can use for specials). The combo filter change is always a high-dollar item for the dealer, because they get you on the labor as well as on the price of the filter. You can get a nice Mann or Hengst one for $15 without charcoal and $25 with charcoal from Amazon. And it's a ten minute DIY job to change.

As to the price of the transmission fluid and parts, FCPEuro sells a kit of those parts, including genuine mercedes parts and Meyle ATF, for $95. So you're getting 100% markup over retail.

Last edited by wjcandee; 02-12-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
I changed my auto tranny fluid myself but doubt I will in the future. I purchased the ATF at the dealer and drained the pan and added the 1.5 quarts back. I did this again two weeks later.

Then two weeks later I drained it and removed the pan and replaced the gasket and filter and it tools five quarts. After buttoning it up I checked the fluid and it was overfull so I had to raise the car and remove the under tray and drain a little out. I then buttoned it up again.

Then I ran out of fluid so I went to the dealer for some more.

Now it was getting hot so I wanted to use the higher temp marks on the dipstick for a good reading but it wasn't hot enough so I put a temp sensor down the fill tube and revved the engine in gear till it got up to 80C and then I topped it up again.

Now it is fine but what a difficult job. Expensive, time consuming, and required a month to accomplish.

Now maybe you see why I say next it wil go to the dealer.
Peter
Old 02-16-2015, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,177 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
How much was the fluid at the dealer? i believe you can also use Shell 134 which you can get from a shell distributor. I called up a local one and they wanted around $60 for a case of 12 quart bottles. Works out to a little over $5 a quart.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:26 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,056 Likes on 977 Posts
1999 E300TD
I can see a problem with your logic---it's to rational plus you probably have to many issues that take up your time such as family, children, friends, work. non automotive outside activities, well financed and such-----because most Ole salt DIYers tend to be cheap, divorced,on welfare, living SSI to SSI, out of work, no family or friends, in nursing homes----therefore they have loads of time on their hands to piddle away on their baby Benz and trying to save a nickle on fluids, wipes and O rings

I am sorry for your decision!!Look at all the money you saved!!
Old 02-16-2015, 10:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 E320 CDI (GONE), 14 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, 01 Disco II (GONE), 09 BMW X3 3.0 Si Xdrive
DIY transmission flush cost me around 60$ couple of years ago. It was right after Shell start selling 134 ATF, so I was able to get 24 bottles for thirty-some dollars from local distributor plus filter and seal from the dealer. And it was full service using 23 instead of recommended 15 bottles of ATF fluid, not only flush, like yours. It will be more this year since Shell 134 ATF now is in the vicinity of 5-6$, but for 150$ I will be able to get full service.
Brake flush every other year at the dealer cost me 85$.

Last edited by isstay; 02-16-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
Originally Posted by isstay
Brake flush every other year at the dealer cost me 85$.
Wow. Here in NYC, I was thinking that the $200-ish the MB dealer charged me for a brake flush using the Valvoline Professional fluid and machine that hooks up near the calipers so you get a complete flush wasn't an awful deal. But you're right, a dealer where I used to live (Texas) would probably be embarassed to charge me that much.