E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

WHY DOES MB CHARGE $800 TO $1000 FOR SIRIUS WHILE CHRYSLER 300 CHARGES $325?....more

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
WHY DOES MB CHARGE $800 TO $1000 FOR SIRIUS WHILE CHRYSLER 300 CHARGES $325?....more

Not only is it one third the price but the NAV and sirius antenna are one and the same mounted on the trailing edge of the roof just above the top of the rear window.

Now who do you suppose is getting screwed?
Old 05-02-2004, 03:47 PM

2009 BMW 750i, 2008 Toyota Prius
It's also why Chrysler only charges $300 for a bluetooth car kit.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:33 PM

2020 GLC300 4matic
Lightbulb

Because they can. And folks will buy at that price.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
How do you justify the cost of the WHOLE car, if all the components added together would cost what it costs for a Chrysler?
Why does a Rolex cost more than a Timex... Same gears, springs, chrome plating, crystal, etc. except that the Timex keeps better time...
Old 05-03-2004, 09:23 PM

I wouldn't mind having it and for $300 I'd probably do it. For $6XX plus install they can keep it.

Its a cool car but MB is so completely in the dark regarding information technology and entertainment its just pathetic.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
It gives me a good laugh to read this thread...

Sirius (and Bluetooth) for Chrysler cars costs less because Chrysler is just taking off-the-shelf components and selling them at double the price that it costs at a stereo store.

The Mercedes versions are completely integrated with the car, usually through fibre optic cabling.

If you don't like the way things are done by Mercedes, I think it would make more sense to consider a different car in the future, because in many ways, things are done by a manufacturer for a reason.

The part I found funniest though was about how MB is in the dark about entertainment... people who have sat in my E55 listening to a DVD played on the STOCK OEM COMAND 16:9 high resolution front screen and listening to the stock HK LOGIC7 surround sound... they know differently. With the addition of the OEM fondbildschirm (rear screen) and audio output with separate remote control input... I think the system is right up there with any non-show installation and the integration with the rest of the car's operation as well as its interior is seamless.

-s-
Old 05-03-2004, 11:12 PM

Scorchie, I didn't buy my E to act as a mobile home theatre and the system certainly wasn't designed to be used as such. I readily agree that the HK is very good, but mind you MB just recently started installing in dash CD players, cassette players were standard prior and prior to the new E-class the Bose systems were worthless. The integrated phone is junk, why anyone would get shackled with a V60i AND pay $1200 for the priviledge escapes me. The Navi in the current E is OK but prior to the DVD was horrible. Wireless integration is readily available in Japanese marks, as our voice activated touch screen Navi. Competent sound systems with in dash CD have been available for a decade in other marks. Although the E is much better than older MB's Mercedes is still far behind the curve.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
That's because in the past M-B has always been about engineering the best car. People bought them because they were long lasting instant classics. The public's expectations have shifted all of a sudden to include wood trimmed steering wheels & flashy electronic gizmos.... areas where the Japaneese have excelled since the late '60's. Remember back in the '60s, Japanese cars rusted apart in 4 years.... It took them years to respond to consumer demand for more fully featured cars that didn't disappear beofre your eyes, but they did.

This is probably THE time when MB is making the change. but you can't come out with the best electronics if that is NOT where you excel. It will take probably 1 generation for each model to make the change, and then MB will be regarded as the BEST again.

Conversely, Lexus has every gadget you could want, and they WORK perfectly, yet we ALL chose to buy the Benz, right? Why? Because a Lexus, with all its bells & whistles STILL isn't a Benz. If MB bought too many Japanese designed audio/nav components, the opinion would be inferred that Japanese is better, so the Germans probably feel that they have to design their own. They will learn.

P.S. I agree, the Bose radios in previous MB's were cheap, crummy sounding radios, as they are in the Cadillac, and elsewhere they are used. They deserve to be replaced and NOT reconsidered when manufacturers redesign a car model.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 05-04-2004 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:07 PM

2001 CLK320
not too far in the past

the Becker stereos that came in MB cars

in the 80's and 90's prior to the factory Bose and HK systems

were nothing remarkable at all.

In my recollection, they were very dull and bland sounding - they made sound, but it wasn't much better than an average table radio you might have in a home office, etc.

The optional (non-Bose) GM systems from the 80's and 90's sounded better what Audi, BWM and MB offered in those same years.

Another factor is that CD's in European countries are expensive. Casette tapes and (believe it or not) vinyl LPs still sell in quantity in the EU.

Although MB does miss the mark in that for the regional (US) markets, they should have CD systems as standard. Notice how the price of the CD changers have dropped in the newer CLK, E and SLK models that came out for '03, '04 and '05? Having dealers quote $1K to $1.3K for putting in a CD changer was way out of line - so MB is slowly coming around to realize that better value for the money has to be part of the picture.

After all, the models sold in North America have many features as standard that would otherwise be optional in other countries (leather, automatic climate control, power accessories, a/c and so on)...so CD or DVD capability just ought to be part of the package.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by 04E500
Scorchie, I didn't buy my E to act as a mobile home theatre and the system certainly wasn't designed to be used as such. I readily agree that the HK is very good, but mind you MB just recently started installing in dash CD players, cassette players were standard prior and prior to the new E-class the Bose systems were worthless. The integrated phone is junk, why anyone would get shackled with a V60i AND pay $1200 for the priviledge escapes me. The Navi in the current E is OK but prior to the DVD was horrible. Wireless integration is readily available in Japanese marks, as our voice activated touch screen Navi. Competent sound systems with in dash CD have been available for a decade in other marks. Although the E is much better than older MB's Mercedes is still far behind the curve.
I was responding to your remark about MB being in the dark about "information technology and entertainment"... when you make a blanket statement like that, you need to expect some response. I could not have foreseen that you didn't buy your car to act as a mobile home theatre; my point was not intended to comment on that, either.

My point is that MB is NOT behind the curve. Again, my car has full capabilities for someone who doesn't need to compete in a show. Next month, it will play MP3s burned with DVDs in the head unit, and the CD-changer will also play MP3 CDs. I received a Bluetooth module yesterday and will see how it works out.

Because MB doesn't do exactly what you want, you can't fault them; you can look for another mark. I use cassette tapes all the time (especially in light of their SUPERIOR--yes, superior--sound compared to CDs... if you believe CDs are superior, you have an inferior tape recorder, or have fallen into the "consumer digital is better" trap).

I believe MB works things out in relatively good time. There are more complexities with these cars than most, and that takes more time than with most other cars. It doesn't mean that things are "retro". Is everyone expecting support for OGG files?

-s-
Old 05-06-2004, 11:55 PM

2004 E500 4Matic
Originally posted by scorchie
... people who have sat in my E55 listening to a DVD played on the STOCK OEM COMAND 16:9 high resolution front screen and listening to the stock HK LOGIC7 surround sound... they know differently.
-s-

you can play movies on the stock COMAND2 system?
Old 05-07-2004, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
If you build one online for a new car, it is listed as 679, plus it gives you 14 months of service included. That is not such a bad deal, but it is the retrofit that seems to be costing a lot of money. Roll that 679 in to a lease and it is a pretty cheap option.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:38 PM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
I believe MB works things out in relatively good time. There are more complexities with these cars than most, and that takes more time than with most other cars. It doesn't mean that things are "retro". Is everyone expecting support for OGG files?

Hi

Cannot believe this

How long do you think MB should have to sort it out. Has the car been in production now 2 years, yes.

Do you not think that we are paying for a premium car. Maybe not in the US as they seem to be getting favourable prices. How is that being paid for?.

It's views like this that is allowing MB to produce crap quality in some of the components in the E Class. We should stop making excuses for them and then they may react quicker and improve their quality control.

Last edited by Apollo; 05-07-2004 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Fact is, MB IS behind the curve. period. Am I still happy with the car? Yes. Am I frustrated that the simplest of commonly available technology is not integrated? Yes. Why? Because they are little, simple things. The things that should be taken care of when you pay this much for a car.

*cough* steeringwheel presets *cough*
Old 05-07-2004, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
I actually e mailed M-B USA to ask if this omission was intentional or accidental & could it be introduced with a software update. (Considering how many ways there are to scan thru all receivable stations & none to scan presets anywhere but especially on the wheel)

5 Days & no reply.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally posted by Barry45RPM
(Considering how many ways there are to scan thru all receivable stations & none to scan presets anywhere but especially on the wheel)

5 Days & no reply.
You can call up your pre-set stations using the numbered key pad on the right side of the comand. Each station programed is given a number 1 thru 0 each for AM and FM....
Old 05-08-2004, 07:44 AM

E500
Isn't it ironic that a manufacturer that touts the safety aspect of its vehicles requires the driver to reach beyond the horizontal midpoint of the dash and momentarily take his (her) eyes off the road to select a radio preset from the numeric keypad.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
I've had to do this when changing radio stations for every car I've ever owned, so no big deal.... But your point is well received...
Old 05-08-2004, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Pressing 1 thru 0 to "scann" your programmed stations is a manual station search. There used to be an electronic programmed scroll thru each of your pre programmed stations from the steering wheel. Now all it does is scroll up to the next receivable station, not your next pre programmed & saved station (1 - 9). Thats no convenience... you can do that at least 3 ways from the radio. The features on the steering wheel are supposed to be short cuts. In older versions of the E, you could go into settings & tell the radio whether you wanted a next receivable or next programmed station scan from the wheel, so you don't have to take your eyes off the road. I believe the omission was either unintentional, or that it couldnt be done due to a design problem with the radio, and it was that was decided to be concealed. Why else would something that costs nothing to include (a line of code in the programming cut & pasted from a previous version) be deleted? And why would they intentionally design in so many redundant ways to scroll thru all available stations? 1 way is enough.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Barry...
I'm fully aware of the short comings of the comand. I only posted the 1 thru 0 feature because in your original post you stated that there is no way "anywhere" to go thru your presets...,.Sorry for the confusion.