E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

COMAND ISSUES: "Please Start Engine...." I'm driving! (Pics Included)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic (W211)
Exclamation COMAND ISSUES: "Please Start Engine...." I'm driving! (Pics Included)

Hello,

Just 3 days ago I started having issues with my comand. I'll explain in detail for each day:

LINKS TO PICTURES (3 TOTAL)
https://imgur.com/hAExWMO
https://imgur.com/PjNnicB
https://imgur.com/orxe15n

Day 1: I took my E350 2008 for a drive to my destination. I noticed that my Comand wasn't turning off when I shut the car off and pull the key out. I even turned the car off, shut the door and came back a few minutes later. It was still on. Also, my Bovee 1000 (Attached to the Ipod connector for bluetooth music) wasn't turning on (assuming it wasn't getting power?). I ignored the Bovee 1000 issue and just manually turn off the Comand then because I was busy.

Day 2: Went out for a drive. I noticed an extremely slight delay cranking up the engine. I went to my destination. Driving was fine and my Bovee 1000 was working. I turned off the car and Comand. Went to the home for an hour, came back and I couldn't start the engine. I had to get a jump. Jump was easy and I went to my 2nd destination. Left the car for 5 hours. Came back and need another jump. I let the car run for a little bit. When I was trying to go though the Comand settings It said this: "Please turn engine on!" The engine is already on! Also when I was driving with the radio on it also gave me this, "Please start the engine. Otherwise, COMAND will shut off in 3 minutes.". I took the car to Auto Zone for a battery check and alternator. Battery cells are good and the alternator was good.

Day 3: Cranked up good. Drove to my destination. On my dash my Telephone and Audio menu showed "----" and I couldn't control audio or telephone from the steering wheel. Getting the "Turn engine on!" in the settings and the "Please start the engine. Otherwise, COMAND will shut off in 3 minutes." error. I have a car adapter that monitors the car and it shows no errors. I also don't have any error/check lights on.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
06 E350
Originally Posted by Rikimaru
Hello,

Just 3 days ago I started having issues with my comand. I'll explain in detail for each day:

LINKS TO PICTURES (3 TOTAL)
https://imgur.com/hAExWMO
https://imgur.com/PjNnicB
https://imgur.com/orxe15n

Day 1: I took my E350 2008 for a drive to my destination. I noticed that my Comand wasn't turning off when I shut the car off and pull the key out. I even turned the car off, shut the door and came back a few minutes later. It was still on. Also, my Bovee 1000 (Attached to the Ipod connector for bluetooth music) wasn't turning on (assuming it wasn't getting power?). I ignored the Bovee 1000 issue and just manually turn off the Comand then because I was busy.

Day 2: Went out for a drive. I noticed an extremely slight delay cranking up the engine. I went to my destination. Driving was fine and my Bovee 1000 was working. I turned off the car and Comand. Went to the home for an hour, came back and I couldn't start the engine. I had to get a jump. Jump was easy and I went to my 2nd destination. Left the car for 5 hours. Came back and need another jump. I let the car run for a little bit. When I was trying to go though the Comand settings It said this: "Please turn engine on!" The engine is already on! Also when I was driving with the radio on it also gave me this, "Please start the engine. Otherwise, COMAND will shut off in 3 minutes.". I took the car to Auto Zone for a battery check and alternator. Battery cells are good and the alternator was good.

Day 3: Cranked up good. Drove to my destination. On my dash my Telephone and Audio menu showed "----" and I couldn't control audio or telephone from the steering wheel. Getting the "Turn engine on!" in the settings and the "Please start the engine. Otherwise, COMAND will shut off in 3 minutes." error. I have a car adapter that monitors the car and it shows no errors. I also don't have any error/check lights on.
DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION?
Old 11-22-2017, 04:00 PM

2008 E350 4Matic (W211)
UPDATE: I went by Another Auto Zone for a second opinion on the battery. It looks like my battery is actually draft
Old 11-22-2017, 04:02 PM

2008 E350 4Matic (W211)
Update: I went to another Auto Zone for a second opinion and it seems my battery is actually dead. I think I need a new battery and it's the problem to my issue.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:39 PM

06 E350
Update: I went to another Auto Zone for a second opinion and it seems my battery is actually dead. I think I need a new battery and it's the problem to my issue.
Good to hear thats all it was. I was experiancing some electrical isssues too. like the ac fan just not turning on and
every time ive started mine for the last 6 months ive got a low battery, convenience features turned off notice and then goes away, turns out i was on the original battery from 06 and just replaced it now the issue is gone.
Still have the original back up battery I need to replace soon
Old 11-22-2017, 11:06 PM

2008 E350 4Matic (W211)
Originally Posted by Shack1
Good to hear thats all it was. I was experiancing some electrical isssues too. like the ac fan just not turning on and
every time ive started mine for the last 6 months ive got a low battery, convenience features turned off notice and then goes away, turns out i was on the original battery from 06 and just replaced it now the issue is gone.
Still have the original back up battery I need to replace soon
I feel you. I wish I knew this the first time around. Mine has to be the original battery. Now I got to wait a few days to get a new one since it's the holidays.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:56 PM

06 E350
I feel you. I wish I knew this the first time around. Mine has to be the original battery. Now I got to wait a few days to get a new one since it's the holidays.
I got 25% off Advanced Auto parts for being a new customer
Old 11-23-2017, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
So OP had 3 bad experience in the row with Advanced Auto and still goes there?
I think last time I was at the chain was when I needed hydraulic oil for my car lift. Other than that they are good for used oil disposal.
No offence guys, but even dealers have trouble to get qualified technicians for those cars. Taking them to guys who open their mouth seeing MB is asking for trouble.
Those cars do display voltage on the cluster BTW.
All it takes is pushing couple of buttons.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:14 AM

06 E350
The op first post had nothing to do with Advance auto parts and thanks for adding NOTHING to the tread!

Last edited by Shack1; 11-24-2017 at 03:18 AM.