E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Best gas in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 04:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best gas in SoCal?

Hello everyone,

I have been trying the new Shell V-Power and the E500 runs better with it, especially after initial cold start in the morning. I have had a slight shudder at idle the first few seconds after a cold start in the morning with the Arco gas I have been using up to now, which I mainly bought because it was cheaper than everything else. This phenomenon could also be coming from the transmission, however, which it was a lot of people have been describing. Anyway, I wanted to get some input on what other people in SoCal gas up. What is recommendable without being to much more expensive than anything else. ( I have heard good things about Chevron, but pricing is steep!)

Thanks for your input! have a good weekend!
Old 07-09-2004, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Do you have Rotten Robbie down there? That's what I use.

-s-
Old 06-12-2005, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
i heard that shell if terrablefor you car!! but that is hat i heard

there is a 76 station by my house that sells 100 octane. i love that place.

MArk
Old 06-12-2005, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500
Originally Posted by Frank Wiesmann
Hello everyone,

I have been trying the new Shell V-Power and the E500 runs better with it, especially after initial cold start in the morning. I have had a slight shudder at idle the first few seconds after a cold start in the morning with the Arco gas I have been using up to now, which I mainly bought because it was cheaper than everything else. This phenomenon could also be coming from the transmission, however, which it was a lot of people have been describing. Anyway, I wanted to get some input on what other people in SoCal gas up. What is recommendable without being to much more expensive than anything else. ( I have heard good things about Chevron, but pricing is steep!)

Thanks for your input! have a good weekend!
Frank -

I never noticed how diffrent gasoline affected the car I was driving. I was always sort of partial to Chevron just because the one nearest to my house was always a few cents less than other gas stations. But when I purchased my E500 in Novemeber I started filling it up with Shell V-Power the 1st few times. I then tried a few other gas stations such as Chevron and Unocal and can say for sure the e-500 just seems to run better in Shell V-power.
Strange, but good to know I am not the only one who noticed a diffrence.

J-
Old 06-13-2005, 01:40 PM

2005 E500 / 1993 MR2 Turbo
There should be no difference in the brand of gas. There are only a couple of major refineries in the world, British Petroleum, exxonmobil, texaco/Chevron. All fuel used or sold in the USA is manufactured to the same specifications outlined by the ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials). So if you're buying gas from texaco, its the same as shell or chevron. If you're buying gas from exxon, its the same as getting it from mobil.

In terms of the smaller "mom and pops" or independent gas station. They buy fuel from the larger "brand name" companies ship the fuel in unmarked tankers and sell them out of their own pumps. And that is pretty much how the fuel trade works.

Of course there are difference in the different octane rating. people should use the highest octane rating just because it burns cleaner. Not only does a cleaner burning engine run more efficiently, but its also safer for the environment.

Last edited by jameson75; 06-13-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:16 PM

I use mobil...
Old 06-13-2005, 03:30 PM

MY MB WAS LEMON'D
Originally Posted by jameson75
There should be no difference in the brand of gas. There are only a couple of major refineries in the world, British Petroleum, exxonmobil, texaco/Chevron. All fuel used or sold in the USA is manufactured to the same specifications outlined by the ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials). So if you're buying gas from texaco, its the same as shell or chevron. If you're buying gas from exxon, its the same as getting it from mobil.

In terms of the smaller "mom and pops" or independent gas station. They buy fuel from the larger "brand name" companies ship the fuel in unmarked tankers and sell them out of their own pumps. And that is pretty much how the fuel trade works.

Of course there are difference in the different octane rating. people should use the highest octane rating just because it burns cleaner. Not only does a cleaner burning engine run more efficiently, but its also safer for the environment.
I agree. The gas itself should be fairly the same as mentioned above... the only difference between the major stations, is what "else" they put in their gas .... Chevron w/techron, Shell V Power, Etc....
Old 06-13-2005, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
The generally accepted scientific data shows that Chevron's Techron is the only proven additive to clean the engine... the rest are not as good. Lucy for me, here in Phoenix Chevron is usually less expensive than most brands... oddly in California they are the most expensive. Not sure why?

I use only Chevron Gas/Diesel.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:48 PM

Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Question What?

people should use the highest octane rating just because it burns cleaner.

Where on Earth did you incorrectly learn that ?

What does a fuel's octane rating have to do with how cleanly it will burn?

Old 06-14-2005, 02:58 PM

'05 E55
Originally Posted by Sam Samaha
The generally accepted scientific data shows that Chevron's Techron is the only proven additive to clean the engine... the rest are not as good. Lucy for me, here in Phoenix Chevron is usually less expensive than most brands... oddly in California they are the most expensive. Not sure why?

I use only Chevron Gas/Diesel.
I agree with Sam. I was a regular Shell user until I had to use Chevron. Now, I look for Chevron. The car seems to run more smoothly and even seems faster in response times. I'm also finding that I'm getting 1-2 miles per gallon better gas mileage with the Chevron (but note that this calculation does not have the necessary scientific precision as I have not allowed for other factors that might affect mileage, such as aggressive driving or stop & go traffic). I was pleased with Shell; I just prefer Chevron now.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:10 PM

'05 E55

I respectfully dissent. I DO notice the difference in my car's performance based on the gas that I use. With all other things/variables being held constant, I have to attribute this difference to the variable that I constantly change -- the gas. Accordingly, I have concluded that there must be fundamental differences between the gasolines that I have used.

By way of example, I used to drive a VW during my college years on the East Coast. I was a regular Shell/Mobil user and found both worked fine. On occasion, however, I was forced to use Exxon and my car's performance suffered because of it (this is 1989 through 1997 and thus, pre-ExxonMobil merger). The car would sputter and its acceleration was sluggish at best. Accordingly, I avoided Exxon (and still do) at all cost. On the other hand, I loved Sunoco's high octane blends (91/92/94 octane). They were a little pricey for a college/grad school student, but they were clearly superior to other gasolines of similar octane, in my opinion.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Green E-300 DT

Where on Earth did you incorrectly learn that ?

What does a fuel's octane rating have to do with how cleanly it will burn?

Do a search on the internet or better yet contact the EPA and have a chat with them. You will find that higher octane fuels do burn cleaner and is better for the environment. My question to you is why would you believe that higher octane fuel do not burn cleaner? Fuel additives/octane boosters all help your car to burn its fuel more efficiently and cleaner. Even adding ordinary rubbing alcohol in concentrations of more than 90% into your fuel tank will help the gas to burn cleaner. Not that I recommend this for a perfectly running new mercedes that doesn't need help with emission, but I do however have an older turbocharged toyota and have been periodically adding alcohol into the fuel tank for 12 years now, 180,000 miles later.....the car still runs perfectly and still passes strict california emission with flying colors. Pretty good for a 12 year old turbocharged car. If you're still confused reply back to this post and I'll explain it again for the cheap seats.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:31 PM

'05 E320, '07 MDX
Even adding ordinary rubbing alcohol in concentrations of more than 90% into your fuel tank will help the gas to burn cleaner.
Isopropyl alcohol in your fuel tank? Good luck with maintaining the integrity of rubber hoses and gaskets.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by dacbiet
Isopropyl alcohol in your fuel tank? Good luck with maintaining the integrity of rubber hoses and gaskets.

Research this yourself. You'll find that there are other benefits with putting isopropyl alcohol in a fuel tank every now and then. Aside from the emissions thing, it helps out with winter driving. Southern Cali doesn't get too cold to cause problematic winter driving, but it does back east and in the midwest. You see, in the winter, condensation or water in your vehicle's fuel tank or possible water contamination of the fuel you pump in can lead to hard starts and other drivability problems. Since water is heavier than gasoline, it tends to settle in the bottom of your fuel tank, where it gets sucked into the fuel lines and fuel system. If too much water contamination is present, it can freeze in the fuel lines or, since water doesn't burn very well, give your engine a severe case of the hiccups at the worst possible moment, such as when you're trying to make it across a busy intersection. To prevent this, aside from keeping the fuel tank as full as possible at all times (to help prevent condensation), using isopropyl alcohol or an equivalent content based additive will work. The isopropyl alcohol works by absorbing the water present in the fuel tank, allowing it to be carried through the fuel system and burned up with the gasoline.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:10 PM

MY MB WAS LEMON'D
Originally Posted by BklynMarc
I respectfully dissent. I DO notice the difference in my car's performance based on the gas that I use. With all other things/variables being held constant, I have to attribute this difference to the variable that I constantly change -- the gas. Accordingly, I have concluded that there must be fundamental differences between the gasolines that I have used.

By way of example, I used to drive a VW during my college years on the East Coast. I was a regular Shell/Mobil user and found both worked fine. On occasion, however, I was forced to use Exxon and my car's performance suffered because of it (this is 1989 through 1997 and thus, pre-ExxonMobil merger). The car would sputter and its acceleration was sluggish at best. Accordingly, I avoided Exxon (and still do) at all cost. On the other hand, I loved Sunoco's high octane blends (91/92/94 octane). They were a little pricey for a college/grad school student, but they were clearly superior to other gasolines of similar octane, in my opinion.

I do have to agree.... I have been using MOBIL (since it's the nearest station).... and have switched to SHELL yesterday after reading this thread.... I CAN tell a difference between both stations.... my car SEEMS to run better with SHELL than with MOBIL
Old 06-15-2005, 01:27 PM
MKW

08 GL450
The difference in the gas is the ADDITIVE package each " brand " of gasoline uses. For instance, in the Bay Area , pretty much all the base gas stock comes from the same refinery in Benecia . The different company trucks pull up , then a " bucket " of the brand's proprietary additive pkg is dumped in . The " no name " brands use the cheapest generic bare minimum detergent pkgs - the higher end brands like Chevron or Shell use Techron,V-Power , etc.
It's the same deal in each region of the US.

So that may explain perceived "running" differences for some cars .
Old 06-15-2005, 02:46 PM

'05 E320, '07 MDX
Originally Posted by MKW
The difference in the gas is the ADDITIVE package each " brand " of gasoline uses. For instance, in the Bay Area , pretty much all the base gas stock comes from the same refinery in Benecia . The different company trucks pull up , then a " bucket " of the brand's proprietary additive pkg is dumped in . The " no name " brands use the cheapest generic bare minimum detergent pkgs - the higher end brands like Chevron or Shell use Techron,V-Power , etc.
It's the same deal in each region of the US.
Absolutely correct. Crude oil is shipped to a port, piped to a refinery where it is refined into diesel, kerosene, and gasoline, and then piped to a regional tank farm. At the tank farm, trucks from all brands pick up the exact same fuel. The only difference is the gallon or so of additives the truck driver adds to the tanks on his truck.

For example, most of the East Coast is supplied by fuels originating from Houston refineries, delivered by Colonial Pipeline's network. http://www.colpipe.com/ab_map.asp
Old 06-15-2005, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
All that said, does anyone know if the Chevron Diesel is any better than Shell or others.. they also make a Diesel additive (not Techron) and I wonder if anyone has heard who it does to keep injectors clean.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
I just received the August Car and Driver. Larry Webster has a write up on fuel additives on page 30. A source at GM directed him to this website (http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html ). BMW, GM, Honda and Toyota formed a group to find the brands of gasoline with the best additive packages and listed them on the site.