E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

intake tumbler flaps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
intake tumbler flaps

I took my car in for service and was told i need to replace my intake tumbler flaps. Can someone explain this or have any information on parts and guide onto complete this on my own, or is this something they should be doing?

2006 Mercedes E350 - Base
Old 10-02-2019, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
A quick google search or forum search will net you hundreds if not thousands of pages of information on this. Every M272 has this issue.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,165 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by MB_ATL_Driver
I took my car in for service and was told i need to replace my intake tumbler flaps. Can someone explain this or have any information on parts and guide onto complete this on my own, or is this something they should be doing?

2006 Mercedes E350 - Base
There's lots of youtube videos on how it's done. I'd replace the intake manifold if you intend to keep the car, but yours is a 2006 which has the bad balance shaft problem. There's also youtube videos to check the status of the balance shaft. If your balance shaft is ok, I'd replace the entire intake manifold which is in the $600 range just for the part. Lots of old threads about the problem. You can also pick up so parts that are much cheaper to just repair the intake. But it will probably eventually fail and bits will break off possibly ending up in the engine causing damage.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Yes i found several articles and youtube videos, thanks.

I will have to ask the dealer but when they say replace the intake tumber flaps, they would mean the entire intake manifold? as when they quoted me for the intake tumbler flaps, for parts and labor, around $2,215.00

i never knew this about my e350 is in range of this Balance Shaft issue. which can be costly i see. my car has 120k miles on it. seems to be running fine except these latest repairs needed.

wondering if its due to fail soon or might get lucky and have it last another 30k-60k without issues?
Old 10-03-2019, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E

I will have to ask the dealer but when they say replace the intake tumber flaps, they would mean the entire intake manifold? as when they quoted me for the intake tumbler flaps, for parts and labor, around $2,215.00

i never knew this about my e350 is in range of this Balance Shaft issue. which can be costly i see. my car has 120k miles on it. seems to be running fine except these latest repairs needed.

wondering if its due to fail soon or might get lucky and have it last another 30k-60k without issues?
All shops will replace entire intake manifold.

the balance shaft issue will show no signs until you get the CEL then you’ll fail emissions next time around, there’s no warning signs on them without you checking for it physically. There’s no set mileage it occurs at - can happen at any time 30k or 200k.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,165 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic

The only way to tell is to have it checked. The easiest is in the video. Otherwise you might be throwing good money after bad. That 2k price sounds right at the dealer. I think the part is over 1k at the MB dealer plus labor. If you found an indy garage, maybe it'd be closer to half as the Pierburg intake mentioned earlier for $600 is the oem maker of the intake and it just basically boils down to what the shop charges for labor. People still report having the balance shaft issue even now so there's no safe mileage or time. Some have estimated that it only affects 10-20% of cars out there, but who knows what the real percentage is. I see lots of them on sale on craigslist and lots of them say things like the CEL is on but they don't know what it is and it's probably something simple when they probably know it's not.