E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Ash or Charcoal Interior with Brilliant Silver E500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
Ash or Charcoal Interior with Brilliant Silver E500?

Help!! I like both Ash and Charcoal, but must pick one for a brilliant silver 2005 E500. Premium and Appearance pkgs.........would appreciate thoughts from those that have lived with the colors and also any input on the choices from a "interior" design/color expert perspective, especially since either color goes with the black birdseye maple. Ash - bright, light, contrast w/wood, harder to maintain (??)......Charcoal - Dark, cozy, easier to maintain (??) but not much contrast w/black wood. Some other considerations.... I live in Sacramento, CA - hot, dry summers, no kids, two small white dogs, pretty neat/clean, early 40's, younger, urban outlook and taste. This is a major purchase for me and I need some thoughts from the owners!!
Old 01-12-2005, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
I prefer the Charcoal interior but since you live in Sactown I would say Ash for the heat. I live in San Jose and have Ash in my white C280 and charcoal in my Pewter E500. My father in law to be (we bought our cars on the same day/dealership for a better deal) went with the silver/ash combo and it looks rich on his E500. My buddy has silver/ash combo in his AMG car as well and it just looks clean.

Just my .02

Mike
Old 01-12-2005, 01:40 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL55 AMG
I would definately go for the charcoal interior with a silver car. No doubt there!

I've had both light and dark interiors and the dark kind is definately a lot easier to maintain. On the other hand the beige interior looks more exclusive (in a black car) but not in a silver car...

Pick charcoal
Old 01-12-2005, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ash!

Go for ash, especially with a hot climate like in California (except for right now, damn mudslides!)
Old 01-12-2005, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
Go for charcoal and change from the black wood trim (maple?) to the brown one (walnut?). That'll give you a nice contrast.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:15 AM

'05 E500
I have the ash interior, and it looks very elegant. We picked this color because it's a little more contemporary. We relate the charcoal color to having real wood furnishing at home...an old fashion look. But, it's entirely a personal choice.

However, it is hard to maintain. The car has 850 miles on it, and already I see dirty marks around the footing areas.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Go for ash and change from the brown one (walnut?) to the black wood trim (maple?). That'll give you a better contrast if that's what you want.

The charcoal seats and carpet are a lot easier to keep clean. The ash shows scuff marks if you're not careful getting in and out. If dog shedding is a problem, they have rear seat covers.

The heat won't be a factor if you can park in the shade and if not, the a/c cools things down fairly quick. I've had the charcoal and black birdseye, have it now, and would get it again.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
I have a light interior in my vehicle. If you go for the light option I would recommend you get it treated, in the UK Mercedes-Benz offer a 'Protection Package'.

I can thoroughly recommend it, we carry a mucky long haired German Shepherd in the back of our vehicle and he has still not learnt to wipe his feet???

Cleaning the vehicle is a doodle thanks to this package.

Good luck with your choice,
John

A sunny lunchtime in Torquay
Old 01-12-2005, 09:02 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
I have the ash, 27 months now, no kids or pets in the car. Unless you want to spend time on the floor mats (or get an alternative) and the cloth threshold trim, get the charcoal. Mine looks great, I would do it again, but you need to keep after it at least monthly to make it look good.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
charcoal hands down,,,I had gotten ash and every time I'd see a black interior I'd be like "DAMN!!!"

Last edited by moa4r; 01-12-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Well... Its nearly a 50 / 50 split for the interior colors..... Are you really going to pick the color of your cars interior based on other people's personal preference????? Why don't you get what YOU like... Its your car....
Old 01-12-2005, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Well... Its nearly a 50 / 50 split for the interior colors..... Are you really going to pick the color of your cars interior based on other people's personal preference????? Why don't you get what YOU like... Its your car....
Totally, totally agree and that is way hopefully I did not recommend either.

Just an observation about cleaning light coloured interiors.

Regards,
John
Old 01-12-2005, 09:48 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
I agree I would get what you think is best, but opinions from others is great to get.

Okay so here is my "forced" opinion.. (j/k) I would get the Charcoal.. It looks great and easy to keep clean..
Old 01-12-2005, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E46 M3
Get charcoal. Not only does it is easier to clean, but it also gives contrast between silver and black...
Old 01-12-2005, 10:54 AM

2010 x164
got 2 kids? Get the charcoal. Otherwise you'll be cleaning the lighter colored interior all the time.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
My car is alabaster white with charcoal. I did not choose the options on it, but I must say that I am VERY HAPPY with the charcoal. My European MB had cloth (sucked) and my 300E had gray leather (I actually liked it). I was not too sure about Charcoal since it is dark, but I must say that I really have come to like it A LOT. A family member actually had a "palomino" interior (baby poo color), it sure resisted the dirt truly looked like sh#t.

I also have gotten very nice complements about the interior. But remember, you are paying for the car so you should get what you like.

Steve
Old 01-12-2005, 11:54 AM

06 CLS500 + 99 ML320
I have silver/Charcoal and like the color combination a lot.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E500
Another vote for Ash... I'm also a CA resident with a kid. I like the bright appearance that you get with the Ash and I was kinda tired of the charcoal/black interior of my old car. The Ash does get dirty though, especially the door sills it seems. I also put the charcoal all season mats in my car during the winter... actually provides a nice contrast.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
I have had two brilliant silver benzes and have had both charcoal and ash interiors and here are my opinions:

I love the look of the dark interior's contrast with the silver exterior. It is so easy to maintain as far as stains are concerned (such as shoes marks near the doorsills or on the bottom of the door) but you do need to vacuum it quite often since small rocks and dirt show up easily on the black carpet. I actually bought a little Black & Decker cordless vac that's mounted to the wall in my garage. I just do a quick vacuum every three days or so, takes all of two minutes. Aside from the carpet showing dirt easily there is only one other gripe I have with the charcoal interior and that is the black leather shows scuffs and dust very easily. Since you don't have kids it may not be an issue but I take two grade-schoolers to school every morning and their little legs are too short to bend down into the footwells so their shoes tend to rub up against the backs of the front seats. That leaves scuff marks that need to be wiped down with a good leather cleaner every once in a while. I guess you could make them wear padded dust covers on their shoes but my wife says that would be ridiculous (what does she know).

Now for the ash...

The ash interior looks a lot more classy, as pretty much any light interior will. The lighter the interior is the more upkeep it takes to look nice so that in and of itself merits the higher regards. Of course keeping with that mind-set the stone interior would be the classiest color choice but it doesn't go with brilliant silver nor was it one of your choices so I won't go into it. The problem I had with the ash interior of my CLK is that most people don't watch their feet when getting in or out of the car and if they are wearing black soled shoes that results in scuff marks on the door sills and on the actual door itself. They come off easily with upholstery cleaner but that used to bother the hell out of me. You will also occasionally need to ask a detailer to shampoo your floormats for you to keep them looking good and also to keep them as bright as the rest of the interior. A bottle of carpet cleaner will help in between shampoos but it doesn't completely eliminate the need to get them fully washed every so often.

Final thoughts by Samoan_Ridah...

Like others have mentioned it is your personal preference that will make the final decision but you obviously are stumped and want some feedback from us. If I had to do it all over again I would go with the Brilliant Silver/Ash combo. I am so picky that it doesn't matter what color interior I have I still spend the same amount of time detailing it. I have ash in my 530i and for some reason it feels more luxurious in it than in my E-class. If you want classy and are willing to put in extra time spot cleaning and shampooing then go for the ash. If you want a refined yet sporty look and want the interior to look good longer with less maintenance then go for the charcoal.

Bottom line is whichever one you go for you cannot go wrong.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:47 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
One thought is that you can have a little of both. I have the ash interior with the Charcoal floor mats. You do need the bird's eye maple wood, however, for the combination to make sense. With that color combination, the contrast is excellent.

Otherwise, keeping the Ash color mats clean is a mess.

Just my .02
Old 01-12-2005, 06:32 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
This Is the Definitive Answer

You're not buying a Benz, particularly an E500 because how easy or hard it is to keep clean. You like cars and you like the "look". With that said, you should get brilliant silver with ash. The "light" interior needs a little more attention to keep clean, but rewards you with a little more attention from those who appreciate your finer taste. As far as the floor mats are concerned, just be prepared to buy a new set occasionally. BTW a 35% window tint makes the ash look even richer. Enjoy your new "E" !
Old 01-12-2005, 08:43 PM

2007 ML320 CDI, 2008 Smart ForTwo
Ash or Charcoal?

I live in Yuba City which is not far from you and have a Pewter/Charcoal E320 CDI. I would for sure go with the Charcoal. Its really not a "black" color which I am sure that you know. I was thinking of getting the ash, but I am really glad that I went with charcoal. I have looked at other cars with the ash as welll as stone and they really get ditry after while and needs care. The benz has a GOOD A/C so you will stay cool. Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:49 PM

I would go for the charcoal. I've had both and the ash is tough to keep clean and will look "used" sooner than the charcoal. Plus the Charcoal just looks better.

Don't worry about the heat. That's what the air conditioner is for...
Old 01-12-2005, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
The "light" interior needs a little more attention to keep clean, but rewards you with a little more attention from those who appreciate your finer taste.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W208
Tough one

I have the silver w/charcoal / maple.I feel this combo look tasteful.I also like the silver w/ash/ burl combo as it looks very inviting.You cannot go wrong with any you choose.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ash or Charcoal Interior with Brilliant Silver E500?