E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

A question to 211 owners from a CLK500 owner.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 10:04 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Question A question to 211 owners from a CLK500 owner.

I think the E500's and CLK 500's have the same rotors and pads, I had to have mine changed at 5000 miles due to a low speed brake squeal, the repair was successful until the last week or so at 11,500 miles and now this annoying squeal is back. It's so embarassing when you come to a stop and your $60,000.00 shinny MB is the only car with noisy brakes. Do any of you 211 folks have or had this issue and what was done to permanently correct it. I tried taking the car up to highway speeds and firmly applying the brakes several times until the car comes to a stop as suggested by some but to "clean the glaze" but to no avail. I'd like to know the proper remedy before I go in for my service appt next week.

I did post this on the W209 (new CLK forum)but got no responses due to the light traffic there.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:44 PM
lig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
My car makes a "grunchy" sound when going slow - braking and turning.

No sounds in straight line braking.

Good Luck!
Old 01-27-2005, 11:07 PM

2014 E350 4Matic/2011 E350 4matic / 2003 E500 /2000 CLK 430
My car squeels when i brake, its horrible
it only started after the first snow storm here in ny. i think the salt on the road creates a polishing compound on the pads and rotors or something
in any case this had originally happened last winter, the first winter with the car and i took it in to the dealer, they cleaned the brakes and used some type of anti squeak compound. The car was fine after that. This year, same time as last year (first snow) it came back. I brought it in again, they did the non squeek routine and unfortunately it still makes noise.. I am guessing when the weather warms up, it will stop.
Do you live in a cold climate?
Old 01-28-2005, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
The repair shop that I used to take my W124 to in Niwot Colorado had a fix for the SL Mercedes Benz cars that really squeaked a lot. They submerged the brake pads in a fluid of some sort for a while and this penetrated into the brake pad compound. My understanding is that it worked.

I also know that when the brakes get dirty they will tend to squeak more. I found that sometimes going to the self-service car wash and washing them with hot soapy water makes this problem go away (but temporarily) until it gets dirty again. However, I think that your problem is different and more serious.

The place that you can call and find out what they are dipping the pads in is Gunbarrel Import Motors (303) 652-3040; ask for Dave (the service manager). He should at least tell you what they dip it in. Maybe it will help.

Steve
Old 01-28-2005, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
Brake noise isn't an issue for me. I just turned 9,000 miles.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:17 AM

No squeaks from me. 05, 3,000 miles.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Nice and quiet at 14,000...............
Old 01-28-2005, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
sqeaked @ 16K miles but stopped (rear brakes changed by dealer)
Old 01-28-2005, 10:30 AM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
hmmm... Now that I see the mileage #s you are posting - mine were totally silent up until ~25K miles.

The noise is only at low speeds and only while turning AND braking lightly.

it's not the same squeak as a pad wear indicator - it's more of a groaning...

Just had service D so I know I still have some pad life left.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Well I just had my pads replaced a couple thousand miles ago, and I'm getting the squeeking. But, it only has happened since the first snow with the very cold temps.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:50 PM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
Originally Posted by michael10128
it only started after the first snow storm here in ny. i think the salt on the road creates a polishing compound on the pads and rotors or something
in any case this had originally happened last winter, the first winter with the car and i took it in to the dealer, they cleaned the brakes and used some type of anti squeak compound. The car was fine after that. This year, same time as last year (first snow) it came back. I brought it in again, they did the non squeek routine and unfortunately it still makes noise.. I am guessing when the weather warms up, it will stop.
Spoke to my service manager today about same exact problem. 1st time at 11,500 milel coinciding with bad snow. He told me "it's gunk accumulating from slush and salt".
His recommendation: " can you find a place where you can go in reverse 20-30 feet at high speed and jam on the brakes?"....I'll let you know if it works!
Old 01-28-2005, 08:25 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by michael10128
South Florida
Old 01-28-2005, 08:26 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SAguirre
The repair shop that I used to take my W124 to in Niwot Colorado had a fix for the SL Mercedes Benz cars that really squeaked a lot. They submerged the brake pads in a fluid of some sort for a while and this penetrated into the brake pad compound. My understanding is that it worked.

I also know that when the brakes get dirty they will tend to squeak more. I found that sometimes going to the self-service car wash and washing them with hot soapy water makes this problem go away (but temporarily) until it gets dirty again. However, I think that your problem is different and more serious.

The place that you can call and find out what they are dipping the pads in is Gunbarrel Import Motors (303) 652-3040; ask for Dave (the service manager). He should at least tell you what they dip it in. Maybe it will help.

Steve
Thanks
Old 01-28-2005, 08:40 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jprescott
Spoke to my service manager today about same exact problem. 1st time at 11,500 milel coinciding with bad snow. He told me "it's gunk accumulating from slush and salt".
His recommendation: " can you find a place where you can go in reverse 20-30 feet at high speed and jam on the brakes?"....I'll let you know if it works!
Interesting, hope it works.

We recently bought a new 05 Touareg (love it!) and without any issues to report by us, the service dept called us and said please bring the TR by as there are updates/tsb's for noisy brakes and a few other items, they apologized that all TSB's are usally done prior to delivery, but since ours was a dealer trade it slipped through the cracks, I asked if this was really necessary as we have no problems to report, he said to bring it by as they would prefer we have no issues later. My girlfriend took the TR in and they gave her an brand new 05 bettle convertible to use and the TR was returned with all 4 updates...that's what I call great proactive service! I wish MB performed all the TSB's prior to delivery and/or when your car goes in for service.

I don't think the squealing brakes are from dirt or US driving styles, as I never really had this issue with any of the four CLK 430's I previously owned not mention all the other makes and models I've owned over the years.

I've got an appt on Friday of next week, we'll see if they do the right thing and change the pads and or rotors or just try and give me some lame excuse.

Last edited by RJC; 01-28-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:47 PM

2004 E500
I have the same squeaking problems at low speeds. It just started about 2 months ago with 10,000 miles on it. Not sure if it is the weather or what. The dealership told me that a little squeaking is normal. I think that is a bunch of BS for them not to have to change them out. Like you had previously posted, it rediculous to spend over $60,000 on a car and have the brakes squeak. And the worst part is that it is supposedly normal.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by jprescott
That's actually in the manual for the 2005 E, but I don't remember it suggesting doing it in reverse. There's an instruction to apply the brakes aggressively before parking after driving in the muck.

I remember it because it's the first time I've seen anything like that in an owner's manual.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:30 PM

'04 E55 - Brilliant Silver; '22 RAM TRX - Granite
Originally Posted by pa28pilot
That's actually in the manual for the 2005 E, but I don't remember it suggesting doing it in reverse. There's an instruction to apply the brakes aggressively before parking after driving in the muck.

I remember it because it's the first time I've seen anything like that in an owner's manual.
I'm surprised that made it past their Legal department... Imagine the lawsuit from some bonehead that tries it, has an accident and then blames it on the owner's manual...

I had squealing brakes (at low speeds as mentioned above) starting around 2k miles up to 10k when I finally got annoyed enough to take time to visit the service shop. They said they couldn't replicate the problem, but when I pushed back they said they would replace the rotors and pads. I noticed it started squealing again shortly after I left the service shop (I was quite furious), but it did stop shortly after that.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:14 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pa28pilot

I think what you might be referring to in the manual is when the brakes get wet etc and MB suggests how to dry them for safety etc...
Old 01-30-2005, 10:19 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by koko381
I have the same squeaking problems at low speeds. It just started about 2 months ago with 10,000 miles on it. Not sure if it is the weather or what. The dealership told me that a little squeaking is normal. I think that is a bunch of BS for them not to have to change them out. Like you had previously posted, it rediculous to spend over $60,000 on a car and have the brakes squeak. And the worst part is that it is supposedly normal.
You're right, its not normal and as Lets Roll indicated if we insist they will replace the parts needed. It's amazing how we as loyal MB customers have to push for the MB dealers ( :v ) to do the right thing and how VW is being so proactive about the exact same issue. It's no surprise why MBs customer satisfaction ratings are so so low, you'd THINK they'd try everything they can to fix problems epecially without giving us the run around/"they all do that" crap. VW has had pretty low ratings too but they are trying very hard both at the corporate level and the dealership level to make things right.

Last edited by RJC; 01-30-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I have a few comments about all this (IMAGINE THAT!!!)

First of all, I live where the weather gets very crappy on a regular basis. Some HOAs use salt that gets on the brakes. The Colorado DOT uses either Magnesium Chloride or Potassium Chloride to de-ice the roads. The two substances used by the CDOT are very sticky and grimy (but are allegedly more environmentally friendly than salt).

My car already has 6,500 miles on it and about 4,000 are in crap weather, since I use this car to go skiing and usually go skiing when there is new snow and/or it is snowing. I have never heard even the faintest squeak from my brakes. My W124, on occasion, would have a faint squeak coming from the rear brakes, but it went away after washing them off. My 4-wheel disked Audi never gets squeaky either. So my point is that in spite of the snow and chemicalia not being good for the brakes, it should not cause any problems either. At least I don't get them and I don't think that dealers should scapegoat the weather instead of just resolving the issue at hand.

About applying the brakes. I have not read this part of the manual that thoroughly, but on my last two Mercedes' manual's there is a statement about applying the brakes softly from about 35 mph /50 kmh. This section is relating to the PARKING BRAKE. Since the parking brake is its own little drum brake inside the rear rotors they can rust and stick. Since the parking brakes are not usually applied while moving the shoes and the friction track don't wear into each other. This is why it is recommend to, every so often, make a light stop with the parking brake; this will keep the inside of the drum nice and rust free. You know you have to do this if the parking brake makes a grinding sound when you apply the parking brake while at walking speed.

I might be wrong, but the applying the brake procedure is not to get rid of the squeak coming from the 4 disks.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

Steve
Old 01-31-2005, 07:28 AM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
Two things. First, as a follow up, I attempted to do what my service advisor suggested(fast reverse, hit the brakes). No luck. Second, I'm sure I have read in multi posts in the past that the SBC brake system automatically adds gentle pressure to keep brakes dry. My guess is that this "normal" function coupled with build up of salt etc. can cause the problem. Why some and not others? That's the $$$ question. My dealer told me many w211's have issues but not all. I have had such poor performance with my SBC that it's one of the factors that has me on the hunt for a new car (A8L).
Old 01-31-2005, 03:56 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Still quiet after 23000 miles on the original pads. Sorry...
Old 01-31-2005, 06:32 PM

'04 E55 - Brilliant Silver; '22 RAM TRX - Granite
Originally Posted by RJC
You're right, its not normal and as Lets Roll indicated if we insist they will replace the parts needed. It's amazing how we as loyal MB customers have to push for the MB dealers ( :v ) to do the right thing and how VW is being so proactive about the exact same issue. It's no surprise why MBs customer satisfaction ratings are so so low, you'd THINK they'd try everything they can to fix problems epecially without giving us the run around/"they all do that" crap. VW has had pretty low ratings too but they are trying very hard both at the corporate level and the dealership level to make things right.
As a former VW owner, it's a complete embarrasment to MB if we as owners hope that MB's customer service would be proactive like VW. I swear I'll never buy another VW, ever.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:32 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Let's Roll
As a former VW owner, it's a complete embarrasment to MB if we as owners hope that MB's customer service would be proactive like VW. I swear I'll never buy another VW, ever.
Looks as if VW has learned their lesson as they cannot rest on their laurels like MB can and did, due to the prestige of the three pointed star which people will buy just because "it's a Mercedes" and the perception of high quality. We have had excellent service from dealership and the TReg is an incredible vehicle. Perhaps VW is trying harder with the Phaeton and the TReg since it's their high-end vehicles, all I know is I'm very impressed with our TReg and the majority of owners on the Touareg website I belong to love their TRegs. From what I understand from the service people at our dealership the Phaetons are quite trouble free. When was the last time your MB dealer called you to say there are TSB's out for your car they'd prefer to address before they become an issue and or inconvenience to you? Or your car was in for service and they address a host of known TSBs with you having to ask or complain? This is truly being proactive. As I stated before VW's customer satisfaction ratings have been very poor close to and even below MB's(and that's pretty bad) but from what I've read and personally experienced they are trying very hard to make the client happy. In addition, the small number of problems from the first year 04 TRegs, to the 05's have droppped dramatically (like most models should) but they don't keep producing cars like MB with known TSB issues for over a year ie the E/CLK/S class motor mount issue, pulling to the right etc. I swore years ago I'd never buy another Benz,well a few years past and the CLK 430 came out; as the song from their TV ad said: Fall in love again, love again...5 CLK's later here I am.

I just wish MB dealers would not be so darn hard assed about replacing the things they need to and be a little more proactive...Yes I know some of you have had excellent service and excellent trouble free cars, and you SHOULD; that's supposed to be part of all the greatness and allure that comes with owning the three pointed star...not just the high price.

Last edited by RJC; 01-31-2005 at 09:24 PM.