New R-S5 vs E550 Coupe *pic*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 04:11 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 150 Posts
Thumbs up New R-S5 vs E550 Coupe *pic*

The new RS5 is due to be released in Germany this month. The car has a 450 hp DFI V8 with a new 7 speed dual clutch gearbox, the car is flared and rides on 20's. The msrp is supposed to be in the mid $70's and if that is indeed the case it's a bargin.

This car is simply exquisite and I hate to say it but imo it blows the E550 coupe away in most every way.

I don't believe MB is doing a 63 version of the coupe but if it does it will be close to 90K and still wouldn't have the lines/looks of the RS5.
Attached Thumbnails New R-S5 vs E550 Coupe *pic*-new-rs5.bmp  
Old 10-27-2009, 07:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550.. Gone but never forgotton - E63 AMG..
Originally Posted by RJC
The new RS5 is due to be released in Germany this month. The car has a 450 hp DFI V8 with a new 7 speed dual clutch gearbox, the car is flared and rides on 20's. The msrp is supposed to be in the mid $70's and if that is indeed the case it's a bargin.

This car is simply exquisite and I hate to say it but imo it blows the E550 coupe away in most every way.

I don't believe MB is doing a 63 version of the coupe but if it does it will be close to 90K and still wouldn't have the lines/looks of the RS5.

Wow that is the baddest looking coupe under 100K BARNONE.

New R-S5 vs E550 Coupe *pic*-rs5.bmp
Old 10-27-2009, 08:33 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Wow, that looks amazing. Not gonna be available in America huh?

The lines, curves and sheet-metal detailing on that are.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550.. Gone but never forgotton - E63 AMG..
Although I must say the E550 Sport with the HRE Wheels is right there also..
Ridiculously Hot Ride!

New R-S5 vs E550 Coupe *pic*-e550hre.jpg
Old 10-27-2009, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by ESIX3POWER
Although I must say the E550 Sport with the HRE Wheels is right there also..
Ridiculously Hot Ride!

Attachment 168889
Wow, you are correct.

Hard to compare the two cars, E550 is more like the S5 and the RS5 is more like the E63 (kind of like comparing the E550 to an M5, where the 550i is a better comparison)...
Old 10-27-2009, 10:06 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

The Coupe does look striking in that pic, and the lighting and angle is perfect in capturing it.

I've seen enough in person to know that the car doesn't always give that effect, I find most to be kind of ho-hum, even despite all the lines and styling going on, and off-proportioned. The A5/S5 are great looking cars, some lower models can be a bit bland of course, but with the right make-up, i.e that RS-5, it's a car that is aggressive as well as easy on the eyes, and will look good from every angle IMO.

I've seen some angles on the E-Coupe that make me want to rush out and buy one, but too many (especially when viewing in the real world) don't leave much of an impression on me.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Great if you live in Europe. No doubt Audi won't export it.

But if they do, I might be in line. Assuming the performance is there (which I'm guessing will be.)

The only thing about the Audi design is that USA plates look kinda weird on that big mouth grill. It's obviously made for Euro plates.

Oh, and maybe they could offer a RWD version (just for me ) Or move that motor back even more. Just get that funky push feeling finally gone from the chassis.

p.s., that car is definitely hot!

Last edited by 220S; 10-27-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550 Coupe, 2008 ML 320 CDI
that's a beautiful looking car...
Old 10-27-2009, 10:52 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

I dont know when/if the car is coming to the US but I was told by Champion Audi's sales manager that it may be here by the spring and retail in the mid to high 70's. If Audi does bring the car here I would love to replace my '07 Carrera S with it which comes off lease in Jan and just extend the lease until it gets here.

This car is beyond gorgeous and now has the right amount of power to go along with it.

AUDI BRING US THIS CAR!!!!!

Here's some more info from 2 sources, the first is the most recent.

1) After perusing through countless spy shots and a brief conversation with a representative from Audi of America we speculated that the four ringed German automaker was hard at work on their next over the top street legal RennSport racecar, and that it was going to be an Audi RS5. The most powerful A5 ever will make its world debut next month at the Essen Motor Show that runs from November 28 thru December 6 in the West German city. Compared to the current top of the line S5, the new RS5 will feature a more aggressive front end complete with larger air intakes an a deeper lip spoiler, wider wheel arches to house the additional rubber and R8 super car style aluminum fuel filler cap. Aside from the standard RS upgrades, the upcoming RS5 will also wear a pair of the brushed metal mirror covers and should be filled with plenty of carbon fiber on the inside.

Under the hood, the Audi RS5 will be powered by a 4.2 Liter FSI V8 engine and will be coupled with a 7 speed S-tronic gearbox. The power plant will be upgraded from previous versions in order to produce a maximum output of 450 HP and will be more than enough to send the RS5 sprinting from 0 to 60 MPH in around 4.5 seconds. By combining the upgraded FSI engine with Audi’s patented Quattro all wheel drive technology the German automaker is about to release a very stylish high performance vehicle into the market that will easily compete with the likes of BMW’s boy racer M3 and even an AMG powered C63 from Mercedes Benz. So now that we know the RS5 is official, we can’t wait until Essen to see the finished product.

2) An inside source at Audi has offered a glimmer of hope, claiming the chances of the TT-RS and RS5 hitting U.S. showrooms is very high. Speaking with MotorTrend, the insider explained that Audi traditionally staggers the launches of its different model variants to keep excitement going.

The TTS and updated S5 Coupe and new Cabrio have just been launched so Audi doesn’t want the high-performance RS models coming in and stealing all the limelight – not yet anyway. According to the insider, the most likely launch for the TT-RS in the U.S. will be towards the end of the year, while the RS5 won’t roll in until sometime next year.

Chances for the range-topping RS6 are slim, however. Emissions testing is the culprit, since the RS6's twin-turbo V10 powerplant just isn't clean enough to make a reasonable business case. Powertrain options for the RS5 remain cloaked in secrecy but one of the primary options - and a likely one given the status of Audi's U.S. emissions plans - is to take the 4.2L V8 from the RS4 and tune it a bit more violently, for about 450hp (335kW). Pairing the V8 with a dual-clutch S-tronic gearbox would also make sense given the RS5's market position.

Last edited by RJC; 10-27-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:13 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Here's the thing about Audi....

.... I don't get them.

They release a completely underwhelming new A4, which to me isn't a stylistic step up from the previous one much if at all, then release the "A5 Sportback" ONLY for Europe. The A5 Sportback isn't an amazing looking car or anything, but SHOULD have been what the new A4 is to begin with, and IMO would do great for the brand as such, in the U.S.

Now they release this RS5, which could easily be the hottest Euro Sports-Coupe in America for under $100K, along with raising the perception of the brand in the U.S (in the U.S perception and brand cachet go a very long way), as it'll raise the overall A5's "cool-factor" to higher lengths, which could pull the rug out from under M-B's brand newly dropped E-Coupe, which will remain the most newly-released Euro small-ish/entry level-ish-Coupe until the next 3-Series drops.... I.e the A5's newness and hype is at the moment pushed back, and the RS-5 could help "put it back on the map", per-se.

I am waiting to see what they do with the next A6, IMO they've never released a nice one, and with M-B going back to angular/cubic styling, and BMW going back to smooth/clean styling, what's Audi gonna do?

Last edited by K-A; 10-27-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350
"I've seen enough in person to know that the car doesn't always give that effect, I find most to be kind of ho-hum, even despite all the lines and styling going on, and off-proportioned."

Rright, it's the lightening angle that is falsely making the E550 look so beautiful, it's not usually like that.. The 550 coupe is " ho hum" lolol You just keep topping your self with each post. What a EF-ing Tool!!! You have a very convincing obsession with the W212.. You're like a stalker who follows a hot celeb around.. I'll say it again, you're the woman who constantly complains about Versace clothes but yet spends her days in Versace Boutiques..

Go on and drive your old dated car. Gtfo the W212 forums and yap it up on the W211 forums where you belong.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:52 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

The cars you've seen in person are the S5's I'd imagine but the RS5 has flared fenders, 20" wheels, and other more muscular styling features/enhancements that really set this car apart. I have checked out the S5's closely at the dealership and in traffic and they are stunning (especially if they have the upgraded optional wheels), albeit less so than the RS5 for sure. I agree from a styling point the E coupe seems to have it one minute...then loses it just as quickly in the next.

Last edited by RJC; 10-28-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:33 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by W212350
"I've seen enough in person to know that the car doesn't always give that effect, I find most to be kind of ho-hum, even despite all the lines and styling going on, and off-proportioned."

Rright, it's the lightening angle that is falsely making the E550 look so beautiful, it's not usually like that.. The 550 coupe is " ho hum" lolol You just keep topping your self with each post. What a EF-ing Tool!!! You have a very convincing obsession with the W212.. You're like a stalker who follows a hot celeb around.. I'll say it again, you're the woman who constantly complains about Versace clothes but yet spends her days in Versace Boutiques..

Go on and drive your old dated car. Gtfo the W212 forums and yap it up on the W211 forums where you belong.
Get off my jock groupie.

You clearly aren't well versed in car design, or perhaps art in general, so I'll spare the explanation.

In your native douche-ism language, I'll play along: "old stuff = baad, new stuff = gooood".

Stop being in denial and enjoy the car your parents bought you. Adults at speak here. And I'm here to stay thanks to you.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:37 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by RJC
The cars you've seen in person are the S5's I'd imagine but the RS5 has flared fenders, 20" wheels, and other more muscular styling features/enhancements that really set this car apart. I have checked out the S5's closely at the dealership and in traffic and they are stunning (especially if they have the upgraded optional wheels), albeit less so than the RS5 for sure. I agree from a styling point the E coupe seems to have it one minute...then loses it just as quickly in the next.
Agreed RJC, I find that very interesting about it. Wagener and co. seemed to have a few angles in mind when designing the car, along with certain lighting that really make the lines pop and the car look hot. However, every time I've gotten excited about it, I see it in another angle or setting, etc. and it just doesn't look all that great to me.

The S5's are very well designed, also there really isn't a bad or awkward angle on them.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:47 AM

Location: Somewhere on the European mainland, preferably on the Autobahn.
2009 E CDI
Two things I need to point out here:

- Audi is a budget brand with a premium price tag. Sort of. Their chassis is VW. The suspension is VW. The engines are VW. The sauce is Audi. They basically show you how nice VW could have been if they didn't design VW ugly for the sake of positioning Audi. I've owned many Audi's and I can tell you they're no match for Mercedes-Benz. Not in the luxury department. They are nice cars in their own way but they do not belong in the luxury segment.

- Mercedes-Benz is not releasing an E Coupé AMG version... because... they will release an AMG Black Series instead. Expect this to blow away pretty much everything out there.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The truth is that the W212 design has been somewhat polarizing in the auto world. In fact, I first read comments in other car forums outside of MBWorld. And I have to say that at least K-A's comments are much more thought out than the usual one liners you'll read on the other forums.

We all know this also happened when BMW released the first Chris Bangle designs. And it was way worse; there was major controversy. Now Gorden Wagener is the new head of design at MB. And K-A's comments are really pretty mild in comparison to the BMW/Bangle reaction.

Again, this isn't a design that has reached everybody unanimously. If you read carefully in a lot of posts, many people hint that they aren't 100% satisfied with the design.

Maybe K-A is in mourning? Yeah okay, a joke. But there's probably some truth to it. He's obviously compassionate about cars and MBs in particular. And so when a new design comes around that doesn't captivate him right away (it didn't enthrall me either, btw), it can be pretty disappointing. A lot of people are disappointed (check out the W211 AMG forums.) It's not any sort of jealousy thing, don't be silly. It's simply a let down to some MB enthusiasts who had much higher expectations from Daimler.

Anyway, this is a car forum and so we talk about car design. I'm betting that the controversy will go on for a while, so maybe it's best to just accept it. Eventually it'll quiet down, don't worry. Although the Bangle debate still has a life of its own....
Old 10-28-2009, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Trango

- Audi is a budget brand with a premium price tag. Sort of. Their chassis is VW. The suspension is VW. The engines are VW. The sauce is Audi. They basically show you how nice VW could have been if they didn't design VW ugly for the sake of positioning Audi. I've owned many Audi's and I can tell you they're no match for Mercedes-Benz. Not in the luxury department. They are nice cars in their own way but they do not belong in the luxury segment.

- Mercedes-Benz is not releasing an E Coupé AMG version... because... they will release an AMG Black Series instead. Expect this to blow away pretty much everything out there.
Trango, I agree to an extent. Esp that they aren't a "luxury car" in the sense that there's no true CL or S equivalent. Although the A8 does well in the real world against MB except in the buyer's mind (it's the MB "status" thing.) And the VW Phaeton was actually a pretty nice luxury car (but again not in the buying public's psyche.)

But the big difference with the next BS will be price. The RS5 will be a performance coupe competitive with M3 performance and its pricing and demographic. Sure, the BS should blow it away but at a different price level.

Performance-wise, VAG is doing a pretty good job with Audi, imho.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:02 AM

Location: Somewhere on the European mainland, preferably on the Autobahn.
2009 E CDI
Originally Posted by 220S
Trango, I agree to an extent. Esp that they aren't a "luxury car" in the sense that there's no true CL or S equivalent. Although the A8 does well in the real world against MB except in the buyer's mind (it's the MB "status" thing.) And the VW Phaeton was actually a pretty nice luxury car (but again not in the buying public's psyche.)

But the big difference with the next BS will be price. The RS5 will be a performance coupe competitive with M3 performance and its pricing and demographic. Sure, the BS should blow it away but at a different price level.

Performance-wise, VAG is doing a pretty good job with Audi, imho.
Performance: yes, the same good VW engines. Interior quality: yes - I may dislike the style at times but the quality is superior to MB. But platform / frame / hardware: no. The reason is simple: the pieces that make up the car are build for many different brands: Skoda, VW, Audi, Seat, etc. Skoda being extremely budget oriented (I'm sure owners will judge otherwise). You can't design and manufacture a piece at the same price point and quality for two very different markets. That means they compromise. Where MB builds a piece very purposefully. If one says the hardware of Audi is top notch and on par with MB then either the VW / Skoda / Seat owners are very very lucky and are buying premium equipment at a budget price, or the Audi owners are massively overpaying for the same basic hardware.

From an economical point of view the latter makes sense wouldn't you agree? So basically the difference comes down the the styling. And that's what you pay for.

What disturbs me is that you get a basic frame and hardware, good engines and styling at the same price tag as a MB or close. Where MB has purposefully build hardware and premium finish on all aspects of a car.

Don't get me wrong. I owned many. But you are basically driving a fancy VW Passat or VW Golf. MB is at a whole different level, production and conception wise. Audi made it to the spotlights because of styling and marketing. And VW because of the reliability.

Last edited by Trango; 10-28-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. And I've always felt the same way.

But the reality is that platform and parts sharing is common and is increasing. MB just announced in a press release that they will be sharing C parts in E builds, etc.. People are now complaining that C parts have found their way into the E. Not as bad as the Skoda example, but they are doing it. And VAG just announced sharing with their new subsidiary, Porsche. But the reality is the Touareg is sharing with the Cayenne already.

Volvo and Aston Martin actually shared parts bins too. I think that with VAG, it's just simply much more known and very obvious (the Audi is clearly a Passat platform, etc..) The association with Skoda and VW does make the Audi seems of less value price-wise to some buyers. (but VAG also owns Bentley, Bugatti, and Lamborghini )

Platform sharing and parts bins sharing is going to increase. It's all part of the new economy. Remember the press announcement a few months ago about BMW and MB doing some parts sharing?
Old 10-28-2009, 07:36 PM

2010 E350
Originally Posted by K-A
Get off my jock groupie.

You clearly aren't well versed in car design, or perhaps art in general, so I'll spare the explanation.

In your native douche-ism language, I'll play along: "old stuff = baad, new stuff = gooood".

Stop being in denial and enjoy the car your parents bought you. Adults at speak here. And I'm here to stay thanks to you.

Parents did not buy the car Jerk0ff. I'm thouroughly enjoying my car, i cant even explain how happy i am with the car and the looks It gets. You're the clown who is in complete denial and practically lives in the W212 board, Quite strange! considering the fact that you passionatley hate the W212. You get an adrenaline rush each time you see a negative post about it,hungrily jumping in to agree with the negative feedback. I'd say you're quite obsessed to say the least and possibly in need of mental help.

You keep driving your old dated 06 E350, I could pick your car up an Manheim for about 5 grand.. Thats the kind of joke your car is these days. Enjoy and GTFO the W212 boards, Doesnt make any sense for some one to post the same negative comments about a car thousands of times. I'm not a fan of the W211 at all, But I dont spend my days on the 211 board being an annoying TROLL such as your self.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 726 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic

With exception of the A3 there is no current chassis sharing between AUDI and VW sedans. Can't speak for SUV's because I don't pay attention to them.
An A8 doesn't belong in the luxury segment? Mercedes doesn't build a car that can even begin to compete with the R8.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:44 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes and no doubt for a VERY hefty black series type price I'm sure...
Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

When does the E550 cabrio debut? Perhaps the cab might at least eliminate some of the questionable roof and or little rear side window lines of the coupe.

Last edited by RJC; 10-28-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You keep driving your old dated 06 E350, I could pick your car up an Manheim for about 5 grand.. Thats the kind of joke your car is these days.
Unfortunately it's the case with all MBs. Buying these cars new is not a happy proposition. Depreciation is pretty intense. No doubt that's why most are rented instead. Or purchased a few years old as CPO'd.

I probably made a mistake (financially only; otherwise the car is fine) buying mine new, but I purposely picked up a end-of-model version to cushion the depreciation (I got a very heavy discount on a 95k MSRP car.) And I expect to keep it for many years (and then basically throw it away )

It would be a tough call to buy a new model right at the release date because of no deep discounting. Renting the W212 is the only thing that would make sense. In a few years the W212's will depreciate rapidly, too.

Too bad these cars sink like rocks in value. It used to not be the case so much in the past (older MBs seemed to keep value better.) Anyway, we all know it's the same with any expensive car these days. It's amazing the rock bottom prices you can get picking up used 3-4 year old S-Classes, Bentleys, Astons, Porsches, etc..
Old 10-29-2009, 07:13 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Parents did not buy the car Jerk0ff. I'm thouroughly enjoying my car, i cant even explain how happy i am with the car and the looks It gets. You're the clown who is in complete denial and practically lives in the W212 board, Quite strange! considering the fact that you passionatley hate the W212. You get an adrenaline rush each time you see a negative post about it,hungrily jumping in to agree with the negative feedback. I'd say you're quite obsessed to say the least and possibly in need of mental help.

You keep driving your old dated 06 E350, I could pick your car up an Manheim for about 5 grand.. Thats the kind of joke your car is these days. Enjoy and GTFO the W212 boards, Doesnt make any sense for some one to post the same negative comments about a car thousands of times. I'm not a fan of the W211 at all, But I dont spend my days on the 211 board being an annoying TROLL such as your self.
You bought the wrong car if one of your favorite aspects of it is "getting looks", maybe people who are paying attention are interested naturally as it's a brand new car, but you better savor the moments, as they won't last!

Anyway, keep 'em coming, this is fun and reason alone to keep coming back to the 212 Forum.

I'll wire you $10K if you can find me an '06 E-Class for $5K, I'll be out just $15K and I can use the extra luxury for my DD.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New R-S5 vs E550 Coupe *pic*