E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Tranny acting up? (with video)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550
Tranny acting up? (with video)

I've been having some funny issues with my tranny.
Here is a clip, of what's happening at times...

I would be driving at low speed and it would stay at a slightly higher rpm.
Went to the dealer, and they said it was normal. They couldn't find any CEL or anything on the computer. So they told me in order for it to shift, i would have to speed up...(what if i'm closing in to a car, stop sign, etc, etc, then deal with the engine braking?)

Here is another one...

I know the this video shows i'm in Sport mode but this happens when i'm in E mode also...

I'm not sure if anyone else have the same issues.

Now here is a video, where it's normal, smooth at low speed.

there is a few times where, i would be driving, then it would jump to a higher rpm, then switch back...(i can't catch that on video because i have no idea when it's going to happen)

so yeh, they said it's because we have an adaptive tranny. It learns our driving habit. I had a w211, which also has a adaptive tranny, and i've never experienced this.
I'm not a hard driving neither...only sometimes but I don't think i do it enough for the tranny to switch to race mode or something on me.
oh, btw, they have watched this video already too.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
the tranny is very much integrated with the ECU, and, if it decides it needs higher revs to optimize anything (pollution controls, fuel economy, road grade, etc) it will hold your revs higher. Sometimes there does not seem to be a rhyme or reason for it, but, it probably knows what it is doing. I have noticed the engine braking you speak of, but, I have never thought it was anything wrong..just different. While not perfect, I find the 7G to mostly very very good.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:58 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts
Yup sounds like the adaptive tranny
Old 05-29-2011, 10:53 PM

2011 E550
well, if it's a normal thing then i'm fine with it ,even though at times, it's aggravating. =D
Old 05-29-2011, 11:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by Yosheego
well, if it's a normal thing then i'm fine with it ,even though at times, it's aggravating. =D

I have to say that I am bit confused by your question, particularly as it relates to how I interpret the videos. In the first, it seems your speed is relatively constant and the RPM fluctuate a little bit. Nothing abnormal that I see. In the second, it appears that your speed increases about 10-15 mph and the RPM jumps. Again, this would seem normal, not only because of your speed increase but because the transmission has perhaps "kicked down" to a lower gear for better acceleration. Whether adaptive or not, this has been a normal part of automatic transmissions for as long as I've been driving (25+ years).

In the second video, it sounds as if someone (you?) is saying "...it's not even changing gears." This transmission is so good, so smooth that many times it changes gears without any feel. In fact, I use the tach sometimes to let me know when it has indeed changed gears!
Old 05-29-2011, 11:59 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts
One more thing, until the car's fully warmed it holds lower gears longer in order to help heat up the cats etc

Last edited by RJC; 05-30-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:40 AM

2011 E550
Originally Posted by ttoE550
I have to say that I am bit confused by your question, particularly as it relates to how I interpret the videos. In the first, it seems your speed is relatively constant and the RPM fluctuate a little bit. Nothing abnormal that I see. In the second, it appears that your speed increases about 10-15 mph and the RPM jumps. Again, this would seem normal, not only because of your speed increase but because the transmission has perhaps "kicked down" to a lower gear for better acceleration. Whether adaptive or not, this has been a normal part of automatic transmissions for as long as I've been driving (25+ years).

In the second video, it sounds as if someone (you?) is saying "...it's not even changing gears." This transmission is so good, so smooth that many times it changes gears without any feel. In fact, I use the tach sometimes to let me know when it has indeed changed gears!
Maybe the video doesn't say much.
For the first video, usually at around that speed, i would let go of the accelerator and it would drop down to about 1k to 1200 rpm and it would glide nicely to a stop, but it instead, it stayed in that higher gear range.

On the 2nd video, we floored the car, to pick up the acceleration, which is normal, but when we let go of the accelerator, it drops to about 3500 rpm and it stays in that gear range.
Before we would do the same thing and let go of the accelerator, it would do the same thing like the video but instead it drops again to around 2000 to 1500, pretty much instantly.
The tech told me that, at times, the tranny is preparing itself for another quick acceleration in case you need it. It's always learning your driving habits and is preparing itself to cater to you and your style.

when i first got my car, i didn't experience none of this. After i had about 3000 miles on it, that when all this starts happening, so that's why i thought something was wrong. If this is whats happening on our cars normally, then i guess that's just how our tranny works.

Originally Posted by RJC
One more thing, until the car's fully warmed it holds lower gears longer in order to help heat up the cats etc
Yeh, it makes a lot of sense what you said.

Last edited by Yosheego; 05-30-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Now I understand what you are saying. My transmission behaves the same way, so it's normal in that sense. I bet yours behaved the same way pre-3000 miles but you didn't notice it. It's probably one of those things that would never bother you until you notice it, and then you keep picking at it and it bugs you more and more.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:13 PM

2011 E550
Originally Posted by ttoE550
Now I understand what you are saying. My transmission behaves the same way, so it's normal in that sense. I bet yours behaved the same way pre-3000 miles but you didn't notice it. It's probably one of those things that would never bother you until you notice it, and then you keep picking at it and it bugs you more and more.
Yeh, you might be right but no matter, i still love it...
Old 05-30-2011, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
In the 2nd video, after flooring the throttle and then releasing it, it's normal for the car to hold the lower gear. It does this in case you decide to jump back on the throttle again. If you don't want to wait the few extra seconds for it to shift up on its own, click the right paddle shifter and it'll shift up (and stay in auto mode). Personally to me, it seems like your transmission is acting totally fine. Take it to the dealer and have them reset the adaptations if you really feel something's wrong with it.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 PM

2011 E550
Thanks, by clicking the right paddle, it does work, but sucks i have to do it.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06' CLK350 & 07' E550
Originally Posted by Yosheego
I've been having some funny issues with my tranny.
Here is a clip, of what's happening at times...

I would be driving at low speed and it would stay at a slightly higher rpm.
Went to the dealer, and they said it was normal. They couldn't find any CEL or anything on the computer. So they told me in order for it to shift, i would have to speed up...(what if i'm closing in to a car, stop sign, etc, etc, then deal with the engine braking?)

Here is another one...

I know the this video shows i'm in Sport mode but this happens when i'm in E mode also...

I'm not sure if anyone else have the same issues.

Now here is a video, where it's normal, smooth at low speed.

there is a few times where, i would be driving, then it would jump to a higher rpm, then switch back...(i can't catch that on video because i have no idea when it's going to happen)

so yeh, they said it's because we have an adaptive tranny. It learns our driving habit. I had a w211, which also has a adaptive tranny, and i've never experienced this.
I'm not a hard driving neither...only sometimes but I don't think i do it enough for the tranny to switch to race mode or something on me.
oh, btw, they have watched this video already too.
Here I thought I was crazy. I have a 2007 E550 doing the SAME THING. It started right after I changed the battery. My original battery (2007) was a Benz 95Ah 850 Aen Varta battery. I replace it with an Interstate 100Ah battery. Now here is the kicker, if start the car with the A/C on the high shifting is occurs every time; it will only stop if I turn off the A/C and run the car for a few blocks - A/C back on - shifting normal. When I run the car without A/C shifting is also normal.

My wife's car is a 2006 E350, change her battery - no change, shifting normal.

Any idea?
Old 10-03-2011, 02:37 PM

MB W212; NISSAN R35; BMW E60
I have 900 miles on my E350 and it feels like the tranny is about to let go... This is mostly due to slow gear shifts and what feels like gear lash shifting 2-3 - except it's an auto tranny.

It would be great to get more people commenting about their tranny experiences here.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
Not sure if this is a similar problem...

I can gun my car and then let go of the gas and if I decide to gun the car again like a second or two later, my car can actually "bronco" as if i'm driving a stick shift like I dunno how to drive a stick shift...

I have to stop pressing the gas to stop this reaction and slowly gun it...

Always wondered if that was a problem or the norm...
Old 10-03-2011, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
My transmission problem isn't exactly the same...mine bucks noticeably at low speeds....and when I took it to the dealer they said "normal...you might want to use the 'sport' mode occasionally so the trans can 'learn' first gear".Oh well!

Hope your problem is resolved quickly!
Old 11-01-2011, 01:40 PM

06' CLK350 & 07' E550
Originally Posted by artxsosa
Here I thought I was crazy. I have a 2007 E550 doing the SAME THING. It started right after I changed the battery. My original battery (2007) was a Benz 95Ah 850 Aen Varta battery. I replace it with an Interstate 100Ah battery. Now here is the kicker, if start the car with the A/C on the high shifting is occurs every time; it will only stop if I turn off the A/C and run the car for a few blocks - A/C back on - shifting normal. When I run the car without A/C shifting is also normal.

My wife's car is a 2006 E350, change her battery - no change, shifting normal.

Any idea?
I have now drive the car for 600+ miles since I change the battery, and the shift points are back to normal (1,400 to 1,600 RPMs) :-) Nice !!!