E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

STUPID COPS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350
STUPID COPS

I live in Orange County, CA and cops there have nothing better to do then pull people over. Somehow I was the unlucky one today. This is my first ticket ever. I was driving the opposite direction of the cop. He saw me and made a U-Turn and I'm assuming because he saw I had no front license plate. (Reason for pulling someone over) Then he pulls up next to me and tells me to pull over. He claims I was going 35mph and impeding traffic on the 50mph lane due to me looking at my cell phone. I was well aware that I saw the cop before I even touched or looked at my cell phone. Stupid cop writes me up for a fixit ticket for my front license plate and once I have it installed, I have to go to the police department to write it off. But, my other ticket is for impeding traffic and texting. So STUPID!!! I hate cops. Even though this is my first ticket, I'm still pissed for a stupid cop to make up some BS so he could make his monthly quotas. Could you guys help me and give me advice on what to do? He said that the ticket charges will come in the mail in 2 weeks and then I can decide on what to do with the tickets. What would be your guys recommendation? Should I fight it and how does it work?? Do I have to attend traffic school and pay the fine still?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 Tesla M3SR+, 2017 GLS550, 2011 E350 Bluetec, 2007 GL450 (GONE), 2003 E500 (GONE)
Don't pay the fine right away but go to court in front of the fudge. Make sure that you fixed the front plate issue prior to court and bring a proof of it. Argue your case. The cop who pulled you over has to be present in court while you are there. Sometimes cops don't show up and, if that is the case, your ticket will be completely dismissed.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:13 AM

2012 E350
Originally Posted by MB500
Don't pay the fine right away but go to court in front of the fudge. Make sure that you fixed the front plate issue prior to court and bring a proof of it. Argue your case. The cop who pulled you over has to be present in court while you are there. Sometimes cops don't show up and, if that is the case, your ticket will be completely dismissed.
So do I have to wait for the letter in the mail first then show up to court on that date or can I go earlier?
Old 04-06-2012, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
So WERE you texting?
Old 04-06-2012, 02:45 AM

2012 E350
Originally Posted by BudC
So WERE you texting?
no, I was well aware that there was a cop behind me since I knew he made a U-Turn.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Well, would you have sent a text message if there was no cop behind you?
Old 04-06-2012, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
looking at your cell phone or holding your cell phone are two different things. doesn't matter you were texting or intended to do it or just checked the time, cops will give you tickets if the device is on your hand. i know you must be pissed but there are just too many people talking w/o handsfree and worst of all is texting.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 619 Likes on 466 Posts
W212 FL
Texting distracts you from driving a car properly and no matter what you should not do it when driving .
I dislike front licence plates too
Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
looking at your cell phone or holding your cell phone are two different things. doesn't matter you were texting or intended to do it or just checked the time, cops will give you tickets if the device is on your hand. i know you must be pissed but there are just too many people talking w/o handsfree and worst of all is texting.

If you have the phone in your hand and are intending to Text, putting it away when a Cop passes by doesn't make you ineligible from a ticket, nor does it make the Cop the idiot.

If you're using your phone while driving, know that your'e doing something completely dangerous and if you get a ticket, own up to it.

Same with a front plate. I hate that law, and I don't have a front plate on my car (have gotten two tickets for it while parked, fortunately not fixit's), and will do anything I can to avoid getting a plate drilled into my bumper, however I acknowledge that if a Cop gets me for it, I gotta deal with it, as it's their job to do so.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:27 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
not to go agaisnt you but damn man! cowboy up a little!!!!
how old are you??
cops are doing their job man!
you have no front plate!! is that the fault of the police?
I hate front plates too, but damn........you're not in the right!

at least you were not texting, (so you say)
I have seen people on the highway in the fast lane that pass me.....then I pass them because they're 'taking a call' or on their text machine.........it's completely stupid!!
Not saying "you are", but most people on the phone or texting ar NOT paying as much attention.....

the police can be annoying........until you need them.......

you people on the phones: what's more important? your social life? or just your life?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:36 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by hyperion667
how old are you??

I have seen people on the highway in the fast lane that pass me.....then I pass them because they're 'taking a call' or on their text machine.........it's completely stupid!!
Not saying "you are", but most people on the phone or texting ar NOT paying as much attention.....

you people on the phones: what's more important? your social life? or just your life?
That about sums it up.

"The Police can be annoying..... until you need them....."

Can't say it any better. I always bring that up to my friends who have knee jerk "maaan, f the Cops (for not letting me do illegal stuff)". Then, next time you're in trouble, don't call them.... or if you do, don't expect them to serve you diligently, maybe?

Thing is, nobody likes every law, and you've almost got to be crazy to follow EVERY little law to a "T". But if you break it, own up to it, and know that they're doing their jobs in busting us for even the littlest, most annoying crap, like front license plates.

I'm sure I've been harassed more vulgarly than almost anyone here from cops for no damn reason at all, but even then, I don't go crying about it, as long as "justice is served" properly toward both parties involved.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 AM

2014 E-350W4
License plate...no brainer. If your state requires it, put it on. As far as texting or blabbing with a phone in your hand, isn't that what Bluetooth is for?

I totally agree with hyperion, the cop was only doing his job.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
So why were you impeding traffic by doing 35 in a 50 mph zone?
Mike T.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by Firestopper0383
License plate...no brainer. If your state requires it, put it on. As far as texting or blabbing with a phone in your hand, isn't that what Bluetooth is for?

I totally agree with hyperion, the cop was only doing his job.
Absolutly correct. He was right and you were wrong. Just pay the fines and stop complaining about his behavior. Correct your plate issue, and your driving habits before you cause someone to have an accident. Also correct your attitude!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350BTC P2 Leather
I would suggest you follow the laws and then you won't get tickets.

Yes there is "stupid" in this equation, but I think you should look elsewhere from the police.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
They have quotas to meet.A state like California that's been brought to its financial knees by illegals (and others) over the years will take every opportunity it gets to redistribute the wealth.Remember what George Harrison said...."if you drive a car I'll tax the street,if you take a walk I'll tax your feet".
Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Obey the law

[What would be your guys recommendation? Should I fight it and how does it work?? Do I have to attend traffic school and pay the fine still?[/quote]
Could fight it, but judge will more than likely be on law enforcement's side.
Regardless, don't text, don't use cell phone while vehicle is in motion, pay attention to what you are doing. Put the license plate on the front - it's a car.
BTW I have never been associated with law enforcement nor do I personally know anyone who is. Have had my share (more?) of tickets - and deserved every one of them. Also, very few, if any, law enforcement agencies place ticket quotas on officers anymore.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG, CLK550
Well any (appearence) of use of a cell phone while driving will get you the scratch for that. Secondly, the no front plate got you looked at by the police. The fix it ticket is a no biggie with the exception of having to install it. I'm not a fan of front plates too as you can see... Having said that and that we live in the over regulated State of California where we are required to have one on.
You gave the cop a reason to take a second look at you and then you got hammered for the cell phone. That's the way it happens. Pay the fine or take it to court. With the way the cities and counties along with the State are in such financial trouble lots of these tickets are revenue generating devices and they do not originate at the law enforcement level these are the directives of the politicians we put in office! Good luck!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 Tesla M3SR+, 2017 GLS550, 2011 E350 Bluetec, 2007 GL450 (GONE), 2003 E500 (GONE)
Originally Posted by mbluver111
So do I have to wait for the letter in the mail first then show up to court on that date or can I go earlier?
Wait for the letter in the mail. Fix your front plate and get it taken care of first. Then go to court and explain that you weren't texting on the phone. Look nice, clean and presentable (i.e. cover up all those gang tattoos on your arms and neck ). Be polite to the judge and don't argue with the cop in court. Depending on your previous driving record and clear criminal record, the judge might let you slide first time.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Don't do the crime if your gonna bit** about the time.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550
I live in Orange County, CA and cops there have nothing better to do then pull people over. Somehow I was the unlucky one today. This is my first ticket ever. I was driving the opposite direction of the cop. He saw me and made a U-Turn and I'm assuming because he saw I had no front license plate. (Reason for pulling someone over) Then he pulls up next to me and tells me to pull over. He claims I was going 35mph and impeding traffic on the 50mph lane due to me looking at my cell phone. I was well aware that I saw the cop before I even touched or looked at my cell phone. Stupid cop writes me up for a fixit ticket for my front license plate and once I have it installed, I have to go to the police department to write it off. But, my other ticket is for impeding traffic and texting. So STUPID!!! I hate cops. Even though this is my first ticket, I'm still pissed for a stupid cop to make up some BS so he could make his monthly quotas. Could you guys help me and give me advice on what to do? He said that the ticket charges will come in the mail in 2 weeks and then I can decide on what to do with the tickets. What would be your guys recommendation? Should I fight it and how does it work?? Do I have to attend traffic school and pay the fine still?
Might not be what you wanted to hear, but you got a bunch of good inputs already and I'm not going to pile on. And, I live in OC too, and have to say man, I'm amazed at how many people are still using/holding/talking on their cell/smart phones and clearly sucking at driving at the same time. It's for this reason and tragic accidents that new laws have been passed and the police are cracking down - and good thing. This doesn't imply that you were using your cell/smart phone and sucking at driving (35 in a 50?), but you get the point and there's clearly a heightened emphasis on changing this behavior.
Regarding your last question, I'd go to traffic school to ensure that your insurance company doesn't hit you with an increase for the moving violation. I've heard that some companies will allow one or two before they do that, but I'd make damn sure that was the case for you w/your insurance co. before you blow off traffic school.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by MB500
Wait for the letter in the mail. Fix your front plate and get it taken care of first. Then go to court and explain that you weren't texting on the phone. Look nice, clean and presentable (i.e. cover up all those gang tattoos on your arms and neck ). Be polite to the judge and don't argue with the cop in court. Depending on your previous driving record and clear criminal record, the judge might let you slide first time.
To the OP -

I'm not all that familiar with CA law and procedure but, in general, this is the best free advice you're going to get!

Good luck.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:11 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Respectfully, just want to say how impressed I am with the general tenor of the responses in this thread.

Like so many other topics I've shared with folks on this and other mbworld forums, folks here get it.

Hype- IMO you nailed it!

Happy and Safe Holidays everyone.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:37 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Let's see, no front plate, going 35 in a 50 and (so you say) picking up your cell phone and looking at it AFTER you saw the cop turn around to pull you over.

And you call the cop stupid?

Originally Posted by hyperion667
how old are you??

Good call. Going 35 in a 50 certainly sounds like distracted driving - texting or just "looking" at his cell phone.

Is reading a text "looking?"
Old 04-06-2012, 05:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
'12 E63
Quit your whining. I drive without a front plate and I accept the ticket risk that comes with my decision. 15 mph below the limit and looking at your cell, I'm glad he wrote you up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: STUPID COPS