Matte Black vinyl wrap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 03:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 E350
Matte Black vinyl wrap?

Hey everyone.

I was looking if anybody has seen or done any matte black vinyl wrapping on their w212? I don't know how good it would look and am fairly interested in it. Anybody got any pics or quote estimates??
Old 08-14-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic
I'll second this request. Would love to wrap mine but somewhat worried about the cost and durability of it
Old 08-15-2012, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E350 Sport
I think member illmike had his car wrapped. Check out the link.

https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-ti...class-etc.html
Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lexus gx470
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/368106-my-matte-e63-some-adv-1-a.html
Old 08-15-2012, 12:21 PM

2012 E350
Most of the threads that I read were a few years ago. I am seeing that they are around 1.8-3k for the wrap and labour. Anybody know recent prices?? I assume they are still the same but hope that they are lower today =\
Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 PM

2010 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by alanme123
Most of the threads that I read were a few years ago. I am seeing that they are around 1.8-3k for the wrap and labour. Anybody know recent prices?? I assume they are still the same but hope that they are lower today =\
You can purchase the wrap from stickercity.com for a reasonable price. Labor i'm unsure of but I thinking you would want qualilty work. Don Nguyen does wrap in Cali. Give him a buzz.

https://mbworld.org/forums/vendor-gr...st-2012-a.html
Old 08-15-2012, 02:17 PM

2012 E350
The roll would only cost $650.. much lesser than the 2.8k that i've been quoted by a shop. I am personally okay with doing it myself, but I am just nervous about the tricky parts such as the trunk spoiler and the curves for the handle bars. Would I need to take off the spoiler off my trunk and I assume I would need to debadge my car right?
Old 08-15-2012, 02:58 PM

2010 E350 Sport
The roll would only cost $650.. much lesser than the 2.8k that i've been quoted by a shop. I am personally okay with doing it myself, but I am just nervous about the tricky parts such as the trunk spoiler and the curves for the handle bars. Would I need to take off the spoiler off my trunk and I assume I would need to debadge my car right?
I assume yes which shouldn't be that hard removing those parts. I'm no expert. You go a cheaper way with plastidip. I wouldn't but people are doing it. www.dipyourcar.com
Old 08-15-2012, 03:32 PM

2012 E350
The more I am looking into this, the more I want to do it myself. It would be a great learning experience, and only a fraction of the price if I give it to those gold suckers.

I would probably need to take off the following:
1. Grill and front star
2. Side mirrors
3. Door handles

I am assuming that for the above, I can look into the manual on how to take them off?

4. Trunk spoiler?????? - This is where I am skeptical about.. Do I need to take it off? If I do, how do I attach it back on??
5. Debadging the trunk. - I know how to debadge them, but how would I attach it back on again. Would it have to be on the vinyl?
6. The small openings in the front (headlight washers) and the openings on the roof for the roof railings. How would I take them off?

I am sure I am still missing something here.. Any comments and tips would be appreciated.

It is just taking my car apart that is making me think twice about the project.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 PM

2014 E350, 2012 SL550
The more I am looking into this, the more I want to do it myself. It would be a great learning experience, and only a fraction of the price if I give it to those gold suckers.

1. Grill and front star
2. Side mirrors
3. Door handles

I am assuming that for the above, I can look into the manual on how to take them off?

4. Trunk spoiler?????? - This is where I am skeptical about.. Do I need to take it off? If I do, how do I attach it back on??
5. Debadging the trunk. - I know how to debadge them, but how would I attach it back on again. Would it have to be on the vinyl?
6. The small openings in the front (headlight washers) and the openings on the roof for the roof railings. How would I take them off?

I am sure I am still missing something here.. Any comments and tips would be appreciated.

I don't know what manual you think will tell you how to remove body parts. Surely not the owner's manual.

The badges and the spoiler are attached with double sided tape. Easy to remove with a heat gun/hair dryer and dental floss and you would reattach the same way right over the wrap.

Personally, I don't know why someone would want to adulterate a fine MB paint job, but that's just me and I'm an old fart.

Regards,
Don
Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 PM

2010 E350 Sport

1. Grill and front star
2. Side mirrors
3. Door handles

I'm sure the you find a couple of youtube videos that could help. Let us know how it goes. Post pictures when you are done.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe
alanme123 I have watched guys doing wraps on tv. It is really an art form and the guys who do it professionally are very skilled at it. That is why they charge so much. It also requires a lot of time which also adds to the cost. If you decide to do it yourself...I wish you luck and do post pictures. Might be a good idea to start small first. Try wrapping one of the mirrors to test your skill.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 MB E350 Sedan
I would spray it with plastic dip as this is a much easier process and cost a whole lot less and you could complete the job in about half a day. Additionally you would not have to take the car apart which would be the hardest part.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:31 AM

2011 MB E350 Sedan
The guys at dip your car are right around the corner from me. I went there to purchase the product to do my grill and saw the cars and rims. The finish is amazing and the process is easy. Check them out on Youtube.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:11 PM

2012 E350
Aboutros, I wouldnt mind doing my rims with the dip the car, but on the OEM paint, I am really skeptical about it. I am afraid that it will damage my paint. Where exactly is dip your car?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:27 AM

2011 MB E350 Sedan
It is in Coral Springs FL and the last car they did was a GTR. I sprayed my grill and the lower part of my spoiler. A really easy process and the over spray on the hood and the bumper came right off. The paint was shinny and no affect to the paint. Check them out on YouTube. You can always do a small area to test it the product can be purchased at any home depot or lowes and cost $6.00. Test and pull it off. I am a car freak just like everyone on this board and would not want to damage the paint.