2012 E550 - Warped rotars for the SECOND TIME

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Raymond Lee
Why is it on E550 only, not on E350? Only difference is engine size V6 verses V8.
The symptom shows up on E350s as well. Not as much with 17" rims and increases as tire aspect ratio decreases with larger rims. If it were a design or parts defect it would be happening with everyone. I think the real question should be why does it recur with some people and not happen at all with others
Old 04-10-2013, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 921 Likes on 655 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by mleskovar
The symptom shows up on E350s as well. Not as much with 17" rims and increases as tire aspect ratio decreases with larger rims. If it were a design or parts defect it would be happening with everyone. I think the real question should be why does it recur with some people and not happen at all with others

You and your f###ing facts about the people driving the cars again. You keep drumming about the brake bedding and how to baby the barakes to keep them from misbehaving.

The real problem is very poor and defective brake components MB tries to shove thru the throats of their customers. Nobody drives the car wrongly to make brake rotors bad. It is ONLY because the car maker,the MB, did a very poor job with it.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550 4 door sedan
I have the same problem!!

Thought I was nutts, then I saw this thread. I bought a CPO 2010 E550. Great car, BUT, I've got this very same issue! I brought it to the dealer twice, and they punted, wouldn't do a damn thing. Really pissed me off. Tried to get me to buy new rotors.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
'12 E550, '10 ML350, '06 E350, '20 GLC300, '21 GLC300
Originally Posted by Joeyboom
Thought I was nutts, then I saw this thread. I bought a CPO 2010 E550. Great car, BUT, I've got this very same issue! I brought it to the dealer twice, and they punted, wouldn't do a damn thing. Really pissed me off. Tried to get me to buy new rotors.
What mileage did you begin ownership? How soon did you notice a brake problem?

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 04-10-2013, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Arrie
You and your f###ing facts about the people driving the cars again. You keep drumming about the brake bedding and how to baby the barakes to keep them from misbehaving.

The real problem is very poor and defective brake components MB tries to shove thru the throats of their customers. Nobody drives the car wrongly to make brake rotors bad. It is ONLY because the car maker,the MB, did a very poor job with it.
Oooh such drama. Don't confuse you with the facts.....is that what you're saying? Why don't you do something about it instead of having a pity party. Others at least took the initiative to try bedding their brakes and that didn't help them but all you've done is complain on a forum. Have you considered writing (more effective than email) MB a letter a sharing the response with the forum? Or maybe a sandwich board in front of the dealer is more your style
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
'12 E550, '10 ML350, '06 E350, '20 GLC300, '21 GLC300
Originally Posted by np888
I have a 2012 E550 coupe. I bought the car brand new in May 2012. The rotars warped at 8,000 miles. The car would shake and shudder every time I braked. They replaced the pads and rotars telling me that they had warped (although they had the nerve to mark down that I had been driving the car aggressively - if by aggressive they mean sitting in bumper to bumper traffic every day then yes.) Although they did keep the car for 2 weeks for good measure.

Anyway, the car now has 12,100 miles, and the problem has returned. Every time I brake the car shudders. I called my dealer and they told me they would be scrutinizing very closely as they have already done this once, and they're not going to want to replace them again. I almost lost my **** at this, I spend $70,000 on a car and these clowns are now threatening to not replace them. I also love how on the website they tout the brakes as being "high performance" and can "with stand repeated hard braking" LOL. right. My bicycle has better brakes than this piece of crap.

Anyway, what's my best course of action here? I absolutely REFUSE to pay $700 for another set of worthless brakes. I have the car booked in at another dealer, but the brakes are 100 miles out of warranty. I think it's ridiculous that a $70,000 car has brakes that are apparently only good for a few thousand miles. I will never buy another Mercedes again.
You ask for best course of action and you say never buy MB again. If I felt like that, I would sell it ASAP while you can still get something for it. If you leased it, well, that's one reason I don't lease.
I agree with you on how ridiculous it sounds that I should be bedding my brakes. Make no mistake that if my 550 does what yours did, it will be for sale. However, I'm on my 3rd MB and I'm not sour. I am of the opinion that how much I pay for something is not necessarily proportional to the quality, design or cost ownership. To put it in another perspective that is found everyday on these forums are truly life threatening failures. Brakes failure, mysterious engine cut off, etc.. People afraid to drive the car. Honestly, that's one reason I got rid of my w211. SBC brake failure is not predictable nor certain. Enough failures for MB to warranty the system for 10 years but what you might hit or hit you if it happens is on you. I miss the feeling of those brakes. Good luck.

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 BT
I think anyone who is being asked to purchase MB rotors/pads again should just look into aftermarket if they feel the parts are inferior. These are heavy cars, and require large brakes and/or better cooling ability for the brakes.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:25 PM

2010 E550 4 door sedan
19,000. I noticed it very soon. Honestly the dealer was a total dick about it.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Joeyboom
19,000. I noticed it very soon. Honestly the dealer was a total dick about it.

Get aftermarket rotors and pads and enjoy the otherwise so wonderful car!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550 , 2006 G500
I had to sign up after coming across this thread. My 2011 E550 has 25,000 miles on it and is starting to shutter as well. Made an appointment to go into the service dept. tomorrow and see what they say. Hopefully I don't get dicked around like it seems a lot of people have been on this thread.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:40 PM

E350 BT
Originally Posted by kotton
I had to sign up after coming across this thread. My 2011 E550 has 25,000 miles on it and is starting to shutter as well. Made an appointment to go into the service dept. tomorrow and see what they say. Hopefully I don't get dicked around like it seems a lot of people have been on this thread.
You won't get dicked, but you may be out of some serious dough
Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 PM

2011 E550, 2004 bmw 330ci, 1982 corvette, 2014 GL450
I have the same problem with the rotors. On my second set with 25k miles. Tried finding aftermarket but no sells them for the 4matic.... Has anyone luck finding aftermarket and if yes can you post info. Thx in advance.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:33 AM

2012 E550 Coupe
UPDATE: Brake rotors have warped again. Third time now in exactly 12 months. Car has 14,000 miles.

I started to question whether I drive more aggressively than I realize, then I realized that no, I have been babying this thing like a grandpa since these rotors were replaced for the second time - to the point that I dont even use the brake at a stop - I put it in second so it doesn't roll forward. I've never encountered something like this on any other car.

I am selling this piece of **** car and buying a BMW (who stand behind their brakes for 4 years).

If anyone wants a 2012 E550 Coupe with 14K miles and pretty much every package - black exterior, almond interior please PM me.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
S600 Bi-Turbo/E39 M5
My new 2013 e550 has about 1000 miles now. I haven't even tuned it yet. I feel as if I have to push down on the brake pedal extra hard when stopping from an aggressive pull. I feel as if I will have a vibrating brake pedal from warped rotors way before they should be replaced. Either I'm right or this thread has me spooked. Lol
Old 04-14-2013, 10:59 AM

2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by bp95gsx
My new 2013 e550 has about 1000 miles now. I haven't even tuned it yet. I feel as if I have to push down on the brake pedal extra hard when stopping from an aggressive pull. I feel as if I will have a vibrating brake pedal from warped rotors way before they should be replaced. Either I'm right or this thread has me spooked. Lol
Actually you're right. The brake pedal is very soft in this car and doesn't inspire much confidence. I only really noticed it after jumping in a F28 3 series a few weeks ago.

Anyone who buys this car should factor in the cost a full set of brembo BBKs.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
..I have been babying this thing like a grandpa since these rotors were replaced for the second time.....
Yea, sounds like you've had enough. Too bad. Appears like those that have had this problem recur are giving up. But just for the record....no where does anyone suggest babying the brakes. In fact, the "procedure" (either loved or hated) says to abuse the brakes when new to lay down an even transfer then let them cool without pressure on the pad. From then on treat them like normal.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE: Brake rotors have warped again. Third time now in exactly 12 months. Car has 14,000 miles.

I started to question whether I drive more aggressively than I realize, then I realized that no, I have been babying this thing like a grandpa since these rotors were replaced for the second time - to the point that I dont even use the brake at a stop - I put it in second so it doesn't roll forward. I've never encountered something like this on any other car.

I am selling this piece of **** car and buying a BMW (who stand behind their brakes for 4 years).

If anyone wants a 2012 E550 Coupe with 14K miles and pretty much every package - black exterior, almond interior please PM me.

But at 14000 miles it is under warranty still. Go after them. Tell your dealer to use the new part number rotors. Someone wrote that there now is a new part number probably because MB finally admitted to themselves there is a problem and the new brake rotor probably comes from a new supplier or is of different design.

Another way to think about it is that if you keep the car long enough you will have to replace the brakes on your own dime and that your time is now. Go with after market rotors and pads and be free of problems.

You could also challenge your MB service manager to a deal where you get the after market job done and if that fixes the issue then your dealer pay for it.

I totally understand your pain and opinion and cannot in any way say you do a wrong move getting rid of your Benz, it's just so stupid by MB to throw away customers for reasons like this while otherwise the car is so fine.

Just remember that this warped rotors issue does happen on some Bimmers too. They might do better job by warranting them though but for 4 years, really? I would think they have a mileage limit too at around 15000 miles or so.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:53 AM

E350 BT
But at 14000 miles it is under warranty still. Go after them. Tell your dealer to use the new part number rotors. Someone wrote that there now is a new part number probably because MB finally admitted to themselves there is a problem and the new brake rotor probably comes from a new supplier or is of different design.

Another way to think about it is that if you keep the car long enough you will have to replace the brakes on your own dime and that your time is now. Go with after market rotors and pads and be free of problems.

You could also challenge your MB service manager to a deal where you get the after market job done and if that fixes the issue then your dealer pay for it.

I totally understand your pain and opinion and cannot in any way say you do a wrong move getting rid of your Benz, it's just so stupid by MB to throw away customers for reasons like this while otherwise the car is so fine.

Just remember that this warped rotors issue does happen on some Bimmers too. They might do better job by warranting them though but for 4 years, really? I would think they have a mileage limit too at around 15000 miles or so.
More likely MB just changed suppliers and the part numbers were required to change.

I think the lack of initial bite on the pads, causes folks to lean on them more, in order to stop the heavy vehicle. Inadequate cooling, combines with mediocre materials is my best guess as to the deposit of material on the rotors, or, if they are in fact warping, immense heat. Whatever combination MB decided to use, they were NOT tested adequately.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by thekurgan
More likely MB just changed suppliers and the part numbers were required to change.

I think the lack of initial bite on the pads, causes folks to lean on them more, in order to stop the heavy vehicle. Inadequate cooling, combines with mediocre materials is my best guess as to the deposit of material on the rotors, or, if they are in fact warping, immense heat. Whatever combination MB decided to use, they were NOT tested adequately.

I think it is 100% rotor issue. Pads, what ever material, will be touching the rotor just the same all around it. If the rotor gets warped or uneven wear it is an issue with poorly made rotor.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 PM

E350 BT
I think it is 100% rotor issue. Pads, what ever material, will be touching the rotor just the same all around it. If the rotor gets warped or uneven wear it is an issue with poorly made rotor.
You're probably correct, although, crappy pads, that have a narrow heat range, can easily drop deposits on a hot rotor, instead of absorbing some of the heat. I've noticed this on past BMWs, I switch to a more performance oriented pad (StopTech) and I get far less dust and deposits.

Another possibility is that the new pads (less dust on the Merc) take longer to bed (not speed bedding, but natural bedding).
Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 PM

2011 E550 , 2006 G500
Originally Posted by thekurgan
You won't get dicked, but you may be out of some serious dough
Well... the front rotors and pads are toast and now I'm walking funny, so I definitely got dicked.

25k in a "premium" brand car and that's what I end up with for brakes. Coming from a 5500lb 05 Silverado that went damn near 60k before I needed pads only, that's pretty sad.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Well... the front rotors and pads are toast and now I'm walking funny, so I definitely got dicked.

25k in a "premium" brand car and that's what I end up with for brakes. Coming from a 5500lb 05 Silverado that went damn near 60k before I needed pads only, that's pretty sad.
Were they worn to the point of needing replacement after 25K or replaced just for the "shudder" and still had plenty of pad remaining? 25K wear on MB pads is not bad. They're pretty 'soft' to give that quick bite with little pressure and smooth/progressive stopping power. I put Porterfields on my last MB and they were good past 90K miles, didn't eat the rotors, but required a little more pedal pressure.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Trek Bike
Enough is enough

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Yea, sounds like you've had enough. Too bad. Appears like those that have had this problem recur are giving up. But just for the record....no where does anyone suggest babying the brakes. In fact, the "procedure" (either loved or hated) says to abuse the brakes when new to lay down an even transfer then let them cool without pressure on the pad. From then on treat them like normal.
Yes, good choice. I made well over 1000000 miles on 18 beemers over 27 years and never heard of "bedding". Brakes work flawlessly w/ o pulsations or vibrations. And never had to tighten wheel bearings on a car with less than 16000 miles. W212 brakes are junk. Enough to make me move back to the ultimate driving machine....
Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 PM

E350 BT

You're absolutely correct, MB dropped the ball on testing, or went the Chrysler route: "it's cheaper to repair under limited warranty than to R&D a solution to the real problem"
Old 04-16-2013, 08:39 PM

2011 E350
NP888... for what it's worth, I feel your pain brother. But my Brake nightmare was with a Lexus GS300 (so it's not only MB)... I bought a CPO Lexus and driving home from dealer had brake shutter. I took it in and they told me all 4 rotors were warped (So much for CPO cars getting thorough inspection)... in about 8 months they were doing it again, so I replaced the rotors with aftermarket ones assuming Lexus ones were crap to begin with...those did the same thing.. so I had the rotors turned... and it did it AGAIN in a few more months. Finally took to a toyota dealer...and they found that I had a defective caliper on one of the rear wheels...and fixed it under warranty. Smooth ever since. Evidently Lexus telling me all my rotors were warped was BS... it was just one rear but it made the whole car shake...especially under strong breaking. Perhaps have them look at more than the rotors to make sure theirs not some defective equipment. If there are tons of threads about the same issue...then perhaps its something more systemic... but its worth a shot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 E550 - Warped rotars for the SECOND TIME