Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Sedan
Frustrating problem with stereo/navi.

I drive a 2013 350 P1.

This is the second time this happened.

Last night I went to the store to buy something and when I got back in the car and start to drive away, the stereo/navi screen went blank. No sound or anything. It was just dead. Even on the gauge cluster when I choose the phone, navi, or audio nothing was there. I didn't want to mess with anything because I was gonna take it to the dealer.

Then this morning when I got in the car, everything worked.

I still want to take it to the dealer but before I do, I wanted to see if this happened to someone else and what the problem was so I can give an idea to the service tech.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350BTC P2 Leather
No idea, but I hope you shot photos or a video

otherwise, the service advisor will think you're crazy.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
It also happened to me a couple of times. I provided a video of the blank screen, the car stop and restart which then showed a working screen before they finally agreed to fix the issue (by replacing the entire COMAND module).
Old 06-10-2013, 04:35 PM

2013 E350 Sedan
I will take it to the dealer and explain.

The first time it happened was about 3 months ago. So for 3 months it was okay. Then it happened again. LOL. I was hoping it wouldn't work this morning so I could take it to the dealer.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:36 PM

2013 E350 Sedan
Good idea on the video or photo. I will definitely do that next time.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
I had the COMAND update on my 2010 about a year ago and since then I have lost sound about 4 or 5 times. Took it to dealer, but they could not find a problem and I had all updates available for 2010 MY.
Has done it twice in past month. Seems to be related to turning car on and then shutting it down and restarting within 2-3 minutes. This is what happened last two times.
Have displays, but no sound. On Music Register or CD, the graph shows all information and song progress. Switched to Navi and no voice directions. Radio shows the station, but no sound. Next time I start it, everything works. Last time I turned COMAND off, continued to drive and then turned it on about 10 minutes into the drive. Worked fine.
Of course, when I start it to take it to dealer, it works fine.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 882 Likes on 633 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by El Cid
I had the COMAND update on my 2010 about a year ago and since then I have lost sound about 4 or 5 times. Took it to dealer, but they could not find a problem and I had all updates available for 2010 MY.
Has done it twice in past month. Seems to be related to turning car on and then shutting it down and restarting within 2-3 minutes. This is what happened last two times.
Have displays, but no sound. On Music Register or CD, the graph shows all information and song progress. Switched to Navi and no voice directions. Radio shows the station, but no sound. Next time I start it, everything works. Last time I turned COMAND off, continued to drive and then turned it on about 10 minutes into the drive. Worked fine.
Of course, when I start it to take it to dealer, it works fine.

I had the exact same problem and there is a fix for it.

Your dealer needs to revert SDAR software back.

My invoice reads:

" LI82.85-P-054716_Ver.2 FOUND RADIO INOP AT TIMES. BULLETIN FOUND FOR RADIO INOP. PERFORMED INSTRUCTIONS PER BULLETIN, BACKDATED SDAR CONTROL UNIT SOFTWARE TO MAKE OPERATIONAL WITH CONTROL UNIT."

I have not had a problem since this was done and I still have Bluetooth audio streaming.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Thanks

Originally Posted by Arrie
I had the exact same problem and there is a fix for it.

Your dealer needs to revert SDAR software back.

My invoice reads:

" LI82.85-P-054716_Ver.2 FOUND RADIO INOP AT TIMES. BULLETIN FOUND FOR RADIO INOP. PERFORMED INSTRUCTIONS PER BULLETIN, BACKDATED SDAR CONTROL UNIT SOFTWARE TO MAKE OPERATIONAL WITH CONTROL UNIT."

I have not had a problem since this was done and I still have Bluetooth audio streaming.
Thanks for the info. Plan to take car in next week, but wanted to make sure about your experience.
On mine, the audio and navigation displays work fine. On CD and Music Register, the time counter and the bar graph for time, as well as titles, etc. display and function normally.
Only thing is that there is NO sound. Was this your experience as well?
Thanks
Old 06-16-2013, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by El Cid
Thanks for the info. Plan to take car in next week, but wanted to make sure about your experience.
On mine, the audio and navigation displays work fine. On CD and Music Register, the time counter and the bar graph for time, as well as titles, etc. display and function normally.
Only thing is that there is NO sound. Was this your experience as well?
Thanks

Exactly the same and you may not have noticed all warning chimes are out too, i.e. there is not any kind of sound when this happens.

I tried three times to reach my dealer service when the audio was out but every time audio came back while driving after 15 - 20 minutes. But, when it came back I lost lots of functionality of the NAVI, like the traffic info was not available at all, which I have subscribed for.

Then, one moring I was in Bowling Green, KY taking off of my hotel with audio out. They have a MB dealer just 1 1/2 miles from the hotel and there I went. Without turning the car off they took it in and run the diagnostics and guess what, there is no code for this problem. Audio was completely out but no code.

This helped me as it was logged in the system for my car and next time when I went to my own dealer I told them about this and then they went to look deeper and found the solution.

My fear was that when they revert the software back I lose my BT audio streaming but I did not. Seems like there is a software update between the original and the last MB has and it is the last one that has the problem.

My car was fixed about 8 months ago and I have not had any issue with it since. Before the fix I lost audio every week. And I drive a 2010 model too...

Last edited by Arrie; 06-16-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:51 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 S550 Iridium / Black Nappa, 2015 GL 550 Paladium Silver
I believe there was a recent service bulletin in Konigstar's sticky thread. I have had a similar issue where the screen blanks out but the last music setting remains stuck, can't change Chanel, source or switch to other screens. Going in for me 30k service next week and have a list of Service Bulitens to walk through with my SM. best of luck with the repairs.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Pntblnk
I believe there was a recent service bulletin in Konigstar's sticky thread. I have had a similar issue where the screen blanks out but the last music setting remains stuck, can't change Chanel, source or switch to other screens. Going in for me 30k service next week and have a list of Service Bulitens to walk through with my SM. best of luck with the repairs.

This is not the same issue. What we discuss here is the sound dissappearing. No screen issues of any kind other than it may say "Device not available" when satellite radio is selected. Everything else works other than the car does not produce any kind of sound out of the speakers.