E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2014 E Wagon - Questions & Advice Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'19 E450 Wagon, 2 x '16 GLC 4matic
2014 E Wagon - Questions & Advice Please

OK - new member but longtime lurker here! Please forgive any lapse of protocol.

After 4-5 years of window shopping and wishing, I finally pulled the trigger yesterday on a 2014 W212 wagon (BTW - the R in my profile is my wife's, the C is my daughter's - Dad comes last in this household). This car's going to be the long-term "keeper".Could I get some help with a couple of questions?

1. I understand that wagons are the rarest E's and build slots the hardest to come by. My dealer traded with another for their late Oct. build slot and is predicting delivery sometime in late Nov. - early Dec. Sound reasonable? Are wagons REALLY only about 1% of production?

2. I wanted the pano roof but it wasn't available for that build slot. Can I drop back a week or two and is that likely to solve the problem?

3. I cross-shopped the Diesel Cayenne and LOVED the 14 way power seats (I've got long legs). I tried the MB multi-contour seats a year or two ago and was underwhelmed. I'm not going to get any additional thigh support on the lower bolsters if I go with the multi-contours, am I?

4. The MSRP on the car I spec'd is $72K and change. I landed at about $63.5K
(including the Fleet Discount Coupon). Did I do OK? The dealer says they can't stack the MBCA voucher with Fleet.

5. I'm Old School so I'm not really into social media - Will I miss not adding the IPhone + Package? Does it now work on I 5's too?

Finally - because I know you guys are gluttons for this kind of stuff - Palladium over Chestnut/Black and Burl, Sport, 18" AMG wheel package, P1, Light Package, H & V front seats, Driver Assistance, and Surround Parktronic.

Any other suggestions while the ink is still wet?

I've spent many a wee hour sipping at the cup of your collective wisdom - Now I'm looking forward to making an active contribution.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
1) Very rare, yes, though 1% is low. Single digits.
2) To get allocation for the roof, you'd have to swap POs for one in a different decade, or ask your dealer to keep trying to add it (perhaps you'll get lucky and someone in the same decade will remove it). There's a rolling shortage of pano for the wagons - at least you still get a sunroof (unlike GLK, CLA, etc).
3) The multicontour in the W/S 212 is not fantastic, but you can extend the seat bottom slightly.

Sounds like a nice build but I would do Dark Ash 736 wood instead.

Congrats!
Old 09-24-2013, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Not sure where you are located but here on the west coast (central) E class wagons are pretty common sight on the roads. Local small town dealer has 3 2014 e350 wagons on their lot at the moment. Overall however I do believe wagons are a very small portion of E class sales in the USA. Most people in the states like CUV/SUVs rather than wagons.

If pano roof is really important to you and this is a long term keeper car, then maybe you should wait a few extra weeks and get a build slot that can be customized to your exact specs.

$8.5k discount is pretty good considering its a 2014 and on an ordered car.

I don't think the 2014 have the new lightning connector for the iphone 5, at least the few I saw on the dealer lots didn't have it.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:30 PM

'19 E450 Wagon, 2 x '16 GLC 4matic
Thanks for the warm replies! I have to admit that I found my way to YYZ-E55's thread on his black/porcelain wagon over the weekend and actually flipped to Palladium over Porcelain myself for about 24 hours - that black piping looked just spectacular! - but I was afraid of what the white seats would look like with about 6 or 7 years of wear. I DO have to say that your combo is awfully sweet! BTW- I'm guessing that you have to spec the Nappa to get the contrasting piping?

Last edited by clonmel; 09-24-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by clonmel
Thanks for the warm replies! I have to admit that I found my way to YYZ-E55's thread on his black/porcelain wagon over the weekend and actually flipped to Palladium over Porcelain myself for about 24 hours - that black piping looked just spectacular! - but I was afraid of what the white seats would look like with about 6 or 7 years of wear. I DO have to say that your combo is awfully sweet! BTW- I'm guessing that you have to spec the Nappa to get the contrasting piping?
Yes, I definitely wouldn't do porcelain for the long term! The piping is only on the nappa, you're correct.

I would inquire to see if you can add U09 ARTICO dashboard/upper door panels - not sure if you can get it in USA, but it really makes the interior much richer.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:01 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Looks like a nice setup!

I actually went with Indigo Blue-Porcelain/Black-Black Ash for my wagon order and it will be a long term. Right now I'm driving an Oyster BMW with two small children and while it shows wear I still like the light interior over 44k miles. The chestnut is a nice choice too, I'm sure it will wear better than the Porcelain but I really wanted a light interior, I just love the light/dark combo with the black roof liner.

Mercedes sold ~65K E-class cars in 2012 and out of those ~1,700 were wagons. So it's well under 3% of total sales volume. Here in the south it's even less while the north east it's a bit higher. I have seen a total of 2 2014 E-wagons on the road in DFW and one other W212 pre-facelift one.

My dealer first couldn't even find me a build slot until January but eventually they found one in October with end of November delivery. Interestingly I chose every option there was with the exception of the panorama roof so my build was accepted without a hitch, $75,700 MSRP.

Dealer gave me $3,785 off which in my case is 5% off MSRP essentially. I did not have fleet nor MBCA or USAA discounts. Your dealer was right as those cannot be combined. Sounds like you got an awesome deal on yours. I'm still hopeful that I will get come conquest cash in November which the dealer will transfer if there is any.

I did order the multicontour seating and I hope it will be as comfortable as the sport seats in my E90.

It seems like you and I are in the same boat, or should I say our cars will be on the same boat. Enjoy the wait.

If you want to feel even better about the choice of the E-wagon I recommend these two articles:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n_first_drive/
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/12...est-wagon.html
Old 09-24-2013, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In Canada last calendar year, wagons represented 6.9% of total W/S212 sales. Would have been more if PARKTRONIC was available on the pre-facelift models.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic 2011
I would add Keyless Go if you do not have it in your option list. Being able to lock and unlock the car by touching the door handles while leaving the keys in your pocket is really useful. At first I thought it was an unnecessary feature but now that I have it I would not buy another car without it!

cheers
Old 09-24-2013, 07:06 PM

2013 E350 Wagon, prev 2005 ML 500 SE
Cool good choice

Congrats,

you will love it.
Came over from a ML500 and love the E wagon!!

Old 09-26-2013, 10:17 PM

93 300CE Cabriolet, 13 E350 Sport Wagon
Talking Some other options to consider

We waited 2.5 months for our order of a 2013 E350 Sport wagon. Some things to consider.
-Leather seats. H&V. Leather allows you to have rear heated seats. (We're in Chicago)
-Trunk accessory outlet. Great for charging even more stuff when on long roadtrips and camping.
-Pano roof. You want it. Its a great way to keep the cabin lit. Especially if you are going to tint. If you get leather you should tint.
-Designo paint option. We were able to pick the fabulous Designo Graphite color over black leather with black ash trim because we ordered the car. It took longer but its now the only one of its kind in North America.
-Illuminated door sills. Again, why not? They do get scuffed up a lot, but they are very appealing at night.
-Even with the lightning adapter you can only charge from the plugs in the armrest. Same with the USB port. In order to play music you'll need to connect via bluetooth. MB is waiting for some new spec from Apple to make a software update.
-We opted for paint and wheel protection. Its understood around here that the sport wheels are weak, we have just turned 10k and so far so good. But we did get a few dings pulled out already from parking lot bone heads so that's nice to not have to pay for. Ask your dealership about it. It covers interior tears and stuff too.
-I didn't get a clear bra. I just don't like them.

The e wagon is an outstanding automobile. However you appoint it, it will never be less than outstanding. I suggest sport model for the S adaptive shift points which makes the right pedal a little more alert and you go from stopped in first gear. Which is suprisingly exciting! Absolutely the best touring car setup on the market today.
Best of luck!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:43 PM
PGT

2014 E550 4Matic with P1/LED/Pano
Did I do OK?
Yes.....my sticker was $72k and I paid $63800 a couple of weeks ago.