Question about eco display on 2014 E250 Bluetec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 02:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
2012 CLS63, 2009 Scud, 1978 930 Turbo
Question about eco display on 2014 E250 Bluetec

Gents,

I bought a 2014 E250 Bluetec about 6 weeks ago and I love it. I am trying to learn all of the functions on the car and I have a question about the eco display bar graph that appears in the trip computer function.

This bar graph measures your driving efficiency versus the theoretical maximum and then gives you a numerical grade (i.e. 55% efficiency).

So my question is what is the efficiency score relative to - optimal efficiency for the style of driving you are engaged in, or relative to the theoretical maximum efficiency (i.e. you're locked in cruise control @ 55mph on a perfectly flat and straight road).

For instance, when I get an eco display score of 55% and I am doing stop and go driving around town, am I 55% efficient versus the theoretical maximum efficiency for stop and go traffic around town?

Or am I 55% efficient versus what I would be getting if I was locked in at 55mph on that theoretical straight and flat road?

I hope my question makes sense and I would be most grateful for any intelligent input. Best regards to all!

Rob
Old 05-08-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
2012 CLS63, 2009 Scud, 1978 930 Turbo
Anybody??????

Bueller????
Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 250
Sorry, no idea. I've started at that display a few times and I can't for the life of me find anything that's really useful to me in it.

Second only to the MPG graph that maxes out so low that it's almost always pegged. Seems like they could fix this with a software update at some point, but how did that get by them in the first place.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:49 PM

2014 E250 BT Palladium Silver
This is from the online manual:

ECO display (example)
The ECO display gives you information on how economical your driving style is. The ECO display assists you in achieving the optimum driving style in terms of consumption, taking the actual and selected conditions into consideration. Your driving style can significantly influence the vehicle's consumption.

The ECO display consists of three bars:
Acceleration
Constant
Coasting
The percent value is the average value of the three bars. The three bars and the average value commence with a value of 50%. A higher percentage indicates a more economical driving style.

The ECO display provides no information on the actual fuel consumption. A fixed percentage value of the ECO display does not correspond to a fixed consumption figure in l/100km.

Apart from driving style, consumption is dependent on many factors such as:
load
tyre pressure
cold start
selected route
number of consumers that are switched on
These variable are not included in the ECO display.

Your driving style is evaluated on the basis of the following three categories:

Acceleration (evaluation of all acceleration processes)

The bar fills up:

The bar depletes:

Moderate acceleration, espeically at higher speeds

Sporty acceleration

Constant (evaluation of the driving style at any point in time)

The bar fills up:

The bar depletes:

Constant speed and avoidance of unnecessary acceleration and deceleration processes

Fluctuations in speed

Coasting (evaluation of total deceleration)

The bar fills up:

The bar depletes:

Drive with care, keep your distance from the vehicle ahead and remove your foot from the accelerator pedal in good time: the vehicle can coast without braking

Frequent braking

An economical driving style depends in particular on driving at moderate speeds.
Achieving a higher value in the categories "Acceleration" and "Constant":
observe the gearshift recommendations.
drive in drive program E (vehicles with automatic transmission).

On long journeys at constant speed, such as on the motorway, only the "Constant" category bar changes.

The ECO display sums up the driving behaviour from the start to the end of the journey. As a result, the bars change dynamically at the start of the journey. During long journeys there are fewer changes. For more dynamic changes, perform a manual reset.
For further information on ECO display, see more.

Short journeys

Vehicles with a diesel particle filter: if the vehicle is mostly driven for short distances, it is possible that malfunctions may occur during the automatic cleaning of the diesel particle filter. This may lead to fuel collecting in the engine oil and cause engine failure. Therefore, if you frequently drive short distances, you should take a 20 minute trip on a motorway or rural road at least every 500 km.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Wow. Sorry but I'm confused even more now about it. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Since it starts at 50%, your driving improved it by getting to 55%. Sounds like you are rewarded for coasting, light acceleration, etc. A perfect score is likely impossible due to random driving conditions like stop and go, traffic lights and such.

Best way to tell is get out on a road or highway where you can set cruise at 55 with minimal traffic interruptions and see how value changes.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350BTC P2 Leather
Originally Posted by DeanBee
This is from the online manual:

Wait, hold on, you mean the answer was in the manual all along?

Wow, that is really awesome.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:23 PM

14 GLK 250 BT
Let me take some knowns and ask what efficiency percentages it would convert to. 3 tank fuels of (avg)38.66 mpg for 1127 miles. During break in (still in progress) rpm has been slightly aggressive to aggressive (taken consistently to red line 4,300)

EPA ratings of 24C / 33H /28 combo.

Last edited by Rdub; 05-09-2014 at 09:28 PM.