E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Troubling rattling noise in 2014 E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350
Troubling rattling noise in 2014 E350

Hi, I've been hearing rattling noise from behind the dashboard and more prominently from the rear roof. I've taken to the dealership twice now and they seem to have fixed it for a day or two before it starts occurring again. Now, the dealer wants me to come again. I'm really pissed of with this. I'm attaching a video of the noise. Any suggestions on how I should proceed? Should I visit the dealership again?

Video of the noise : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxOpo8Z6ilk&list=UUxgVniw4sSsaWX-fksjfy8g#t=65.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:59 AM

2013 E350 P1, Sport, Rear Spoiler
My 2013 is a "creak-fest" at the rear parcel shelf. Two big culprits are the panel at the top of the rear window and the center rear brake light cover.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 719 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Do you have a rear shade? If so try putting it up and see if the noise goes away
Old 09-07-2014, 02:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLB 2023
On my 2014 e350 I hear a slight whistling noise from what seems like the top windshield area. I only hear it if i'm going above 70 mph. With music I don't hear it. Don't know if I should bring it to the dealer just for this.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:50 PM

2014 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by cleankutazn
On my 2014 e350 I hear a slight whistling noise from what seems like the top windshield area. I only hear it if i'm going above 70 mph. With music I don't hear it. Don't know if I should bring it to the dealer just for this.
I have this problem too. Just got my 2014 E350 last week. Here is a thread that may be relevant to our problem: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...d-humming.html
Old 09-07-2014, 08:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLB 2023
Originally Posted by christophsky
I have this problem too. Just got my 2014 E350 last week. Here is a thread that may be relevant to our problem: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...d-humming.html
It looks like that is the problem, I'll let my dealer know when I bring it in for maintenance. There is a huge gap between the grille and hood area though.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:13 PM

2014 E350
Thanks guys! I tried with the shade on. No difference :-(

This sound is more like rattling noise when I go over a bump or a rough road. The foreman at the dealership said it is to do with the insulation and both the times, it seemed to be rock solid for one or two days before the same noise starting to appear again. This is really driving me crazy. I mean the loaner C class given to me was much smoother. I really don't understand!!
Old 09-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by bsekar
The foreman at the dealership said it is to do with the insulation and both the times, it seemed to be rock solid for one or two days before the same noise starting to appear again.
Have you read this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-sounds-4.html
Old 09-10-2014, 02:37 PM

2014 E350
Originally Posted by konigstiger

Great. I think the issue is similar to the one in the thread. I have scheduled an appointment with a different dealer tomorrow. Hope I can get it fixed. Thank you konigstiger
Old 09-12-2014, 07:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Mercedes-Benz E350 (luxury)
I heard a rattle coming from the rear deck lid somewhere. Yesterday I looked at a number of possibilities - seats not secured, convenience tray rattling in trunk, etc. and what I eventually (10 minutes of trying different things) found was a panel at the top of the rear window. It easy popped out of its snap clips, so I just pulled it off and snapped it back into place.

The funny thing is that I couldn't really figure out why there is an extra trim piece there in the first place. What's it functionality? At any rate, the problem is solved.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:27 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by bsekar
Hi, I've been hearing rattling noise from behind the dashboard and more prominently from the rear roof. I've taken to the dealership twice now and they seem to have fixed it for a day or two before it starts occurring again. Now, the dealer wants me to come again. I'm really pissed of with this. I'm attaching a video of the noise. Any suggestions on how I should proceed? Should I visit the dealership again?

Video of the noise : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxOpo8Z6ilk&list=UUxgVniw4sSsaWX-fksjfy8g#t=65.
Originally Posted by jmatero
My 2013 is a "creak-fest" at the rear parcel shelf. Two big culprits are the panel at the top of the rear window and the center rear brake light cover.
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Do you have a rear shade? If so try putting it up and see if the noise goes away
Originally Posted by joeyza
I heard a rattle coming from the rear deck lid somewhere. Yesterday I looked at a number of possibilities - seats not secured, convenience tray rattling in trunk, etc.
Wow, I just came across this thread and thankfully (but unfortunately) you guys are experiencing the same things as me. I have 2014 E350 w/ pano roof. I thought I was going crazy! I just got my (brand new to me) car delivered this week and have been hearing these freakin' creaking sounds from the back every time I would go over a bump or something; driving me insane--imagine the discontent over hearing this in my "new" car. At first I thought it was the rear headrests and then the rear parcel shelf and the rear sunshade (still happens whether it's raised or lowered), but now it helps to narrow it down exactly. You should have seen me, I was in the backseat like a wild man pushing and tapping and squeezing and testing every panel I could get my hands on, hoping to isolate it.

Tried the "DIY fixes", and nothing. I will be taking her in to get this covered under warranty; anyone know the exact TSB on this?
Old 04-15-2017, 09:26 PM

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
2023 GLE 450
Originally Posted by tresean1
Wow, I just came across this thread and thankfully (but unfortunately) you guys are experiencing the same things as me. I have 2014 E350 w/ pano roof. I thought I was going crazy! I just got my (brand new to me) car delivered this week and have been hearing these freakin' creaking sounds from the back every time I would go over a bump or something; driving me insane--imagine the discontent over hearing this in my "new" car. At first I thought it was the rear headrests and then the rear parcel shelf and the rear sunshade (still happens whether it's raised or lowered), but now it helps to narrow it down exactly. You should have seen me, I was in the backseat like a wild man pushing and tapping and squeezing and testing every panel I could get my hands on, hoping to isolate it.

Tried the "DIY fixes", and nothing. I will be taking her in to get this covered under warranty; anyone know the exact TSB on this?
Not sure we needed 12 threads refreshed for the issue...just sayin.