Frozen Gas Cap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 01:45 PM
kp1

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic Sport
Frozen Gas Cap

We get a little rain or snow and falling temperatures and moisture gets in between the plastic cap threads and the filler neck and it literally freezes and can't be opened. How in the world could something be designed so poorly? Do I have to carry a hair dryer and extension cord to be able to put gas in the car in cold weather? GEEZ!
Old 12-13-2017, 02:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Check condition of cap seal if fine, try spraying nonstick cooking spray around the seal & threading.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 E550 sedan
Definitely a seal problem.. I have had my car out in very cold rain/snow environments, and I haven't had any problems with frozen gas caps. Take it to your dealer and have them replace it under warranty.

If you are out of warrenty, still try. Mercedes has been known to help customers on little things like that, so that it doesn't ruin your MB experience.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:59 PM
kp1

2014 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Check condition of cap seal if fine, try spraying nonstick cooking spray around the seal & threading.
That's a good idea. I'll try it.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:08 PM
kp1

2014 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Magicman09
Definitely a seal problem.. I have had my car out in very cold rain/snow environments, and I haven't had any problems with frozen gas caps. Take it to your dealer and have them replace it under warranty.

If you are out of warrenty, still try. Mercedes has been known to help customers on little things like that, so that it doesn't ruin your MB experience.
I broke the old one getting it out so I ordered a new one. We've been out of warranty for 6 months or so and the dealer we purchased from won't give an inch on anything. They won't call Mercedes for TSBs - don't want to waste their time. And when we had the oil changed last, they only put 6 quarts in because that was within the acceptable range (at the bottom) on the dipstick. They don't take a long-term approach to their business. I'll never buy from them again, but they don't give a hoot.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 E550 sedan
Originally Posted by kp1
I broke the old one getting it out so I ordered a new one. We've been out of warranty for 6 months or so and the dealer we purchased from won't give an inch on anything. They won't call Mercedes for TSBs - don't want to waste their time. And when we had the oil changed last, they only put 6 quarts in because that was within the acceptable range (at the bottom) on the dipstick. They don't take a long-term approach to their business. I'll never buy from them again, but they don't give a hoot.

Wow.. I'm sorry to hear that. Dealers can really make or break a brand. Are there any other dealers in the area (reasonable distance) that you could go to? I know how frustrating a bad dealership can be.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:19 PM
kp1

2014 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Magicman09
Wow.. I'm sorry to hear that. Dealers can really make or break a brand. Are there any other dealers in the area (reasonable distance) that you could go to? I know how frustrating a bad dealership can be.
We have a dealer nearer to us than the one where we purchased the car. That's where we'll be going when we need MB service that I can't do myself.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
2002 E430 (totaled at 230k miles), 2002 E55 AMG, 2001 CLK430--SOLD, 1997 C230
Originally Posted by kp1
Call them out by name. Give praise to the good dealers and honest (even if negative) the the bad ones. Win-win for consumers and rewards the dealers who give excellent service.