E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

10.25 inch android headunit installed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
E350 Sport
Originally Posted by 400ixl
There is no Android 8.1 in reality, its still the same version of Android with the buildprop updated further than it was. At least when I questioned the manufacturers on whether it was true 8.1 they confirmed it wasn't.
It's not. It will always in reality be android 6. The whole 7.1 or 8 is just aesthetics.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MERCEDES E63 AMG 5.5 V8
Originally Posted by chris is banned
I realy dont like it...I dont think it looks at al more OEM than the previous one. Icons look cheap and not like OEM.

And you lose the car model and analog clock on the left.

What you think?

I have just ordered this exact unit from AliExpress with the new rounded edges. I spoke to the seller before purchasing regarding the new style interface and asked if they could put the previous style OEM interface on it for me as I do not like this new style. They agreed to do so for me so fingers crossed they stick to there word. I also ordered a new dongle for apple car play I just hope everything works
Old 07-09-2019, 11:35 AM

E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Wenglish1984
I have just ordered this exact unit from AliExpress with the new rounded edges. I spoke to the seller before purchasing regarding the new style interface and asked if they could put the previous style OEM interface on it for me as I do not like this new style. They agreed to do so for me so fingers crossed they stick to there word. I also ordered a new dongle for apple car play I just hope everything works
Best of luck to you.

What car are you installing this in?
Old 07-09-2019, 11:38 AM

MERCEDES E63 AMG 5.5 V8
Originally Posted by Heisenberg5070
Best of luck to you.

What car are you installing this in?
Thank you im fitting it into my UK RHD w212 e350 estate/wagon 2012 model but with the NTG4 unit the seller confirmed it would all work with my car but you never know do you when there trying to gain a sale
Old 07-09-2019, 11:39 AM

E350 Sport
Thank you im fitting it into my UK RHD w212 e350 estate/wagon 2012 model but with the NTG4 unit the seller confirmed it would all work with my car but you never know do you when there trying to gain a sale
Just a heads up your gonna need additional hardware for your install. Especially if your ami is in your center console.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:42 AM

MERCEDES E63 AMG 5.5 V8
Originally Posted by Heisenberg5070
Just a heads up your gonna need additional hardware for your install. Especially if your ami is in your center console.
Really ? He never told me that he said it was a straight plug and play system 😡 thank you for the heads up though what would the additional hardware be that I would require please ? Thanks
Old 07-09-2019, 11:43 AM

E350 Sport
Really ? He never told me that he said it was a straight plug and play system 😡 thank you for the heads up though what would the additional hardware be that I would require please ? Thanks
Pm me. I don't want to get banned either lol
Old 07-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Can't think of what you would need for that car. Its essentially the same fitment as mine (be it a W207). If it is all routed efficiently then it should all just be the wiring that comes with it. I would maybe look at getting a Frkra GPS splitter to run it off of the OEM system rather than the dongle that comes with it, but thats just choice and not essential.

Done half a dozen for people now including the W212 and not needed anything extra, other than carplay dongles if the wanted those, or USB extensions if they wanted those in different places.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:41 AM
wbx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by mdzukunft
So I got my unit (V3, curved corners) today. Came configured appropriately for the C207 (2013 E350 coupe) and everything (including CarPlay) works as it should. Routed the USB and AUX wires to the center console (what a ****** as my COMAND dial cable was clipped underneath the center console). Had to inch the cable back and forth to allow the console to be flipped over as I could not remove the COMAND dial. Took ~ 3 hours but it worked. Routed the GSM antennas to each A-pillar and GPS behind the rearview mirror via the passenger A-pillar. The following are pics of routing the cables to the center console:

The COMAND dial cable (as viewed from passenger side) demonstrating the inaccessible clip under the console.

Routing the AUX and USB extension cables. The USB hookups were placed to the LEFT of the shifter (can't go right because a. the shorter cable is too short and will not give enough slack for the harness above and b. the USB's interfere with the 12V adapter and will not allow the ash tray to seat properly). NOTE: the cable to the COMAND dial. If you incrementally pull the wire from its connection point in multiple places, you can create more slack allowing you to remove and flip over the console.

Drilled 2 holes. A 1" hole for the faceplate of the USB extension cables and a smaller hole with rubber grommet for the AUX.

I *was* having issues getting COMAND back into its spot. Tried for 3 hours on Monday and another 3 hours Tuesday morning and tore up my hands as limited space in the C207. Had been trying the advice of routing the USBs/AUX on the R side and creating a hole underneath the unit for the quadlock by clearing other cables. It was *not* easy in this vehicle. FYI: I do all my own car maintenance (replacing clutches, engine teardown, etc) and have replaced many a DIN. It may be easier in the sedans, but it is a ****** in the coupe. Just saying.

Took the wires apart and re-organized them. Pulled as much extra wire into the space to the RIGHT of the airvents (above COMAND) and gave preference of the quadlock to center area of the HVAC control panel (below COMAND).

As you can see, I tucked the AB/A/B connectors in to the space to the RIGHT of the HVAC panel. Getting them to stay there was a challenge.

And...fini.

It works!

CURRENT ISSUE --> Now solved: The only issue I have now is that the screen wobbles with the engine because -- for the life of me -- I can't figure out which screw to use to tack it down. I received 4 small stainless screws (too small and not sure what they are for) and 4 black screws (also seem to be too small). Which screws am I supposed to use? What size are they? Also the windshield of the coupe is so aggressively swooped that I can't even see the holes unless I look through the windshield. Good grief!

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
- The unit is stamped with CarLife and CKM stickers. So I doubt there is a difference between the two sellers now. CKM offers a 1-page install sheet but this was not needed given the multiple excellent videos online, especially by Amazing Road TV and Flexx (Rock's is also a decent video).
- Kit comes with an in-line audio suppressor (which I needed) and a backup speaker (which I didn't).
- The V3 unit recognizes my Samsung 256 GB SD card. It also comes with a 16GB SD card.
- The harness especially between the quadlocks is too short by at least 2-3" to really allow manipulation of the quadlock adapter to get it placed below the unit. And the shorter USB is seriously short if you'd like to route to the center console. It barely makes it to the area of the ashtray. Per the picture above, route them to the LEFT to allow properly seating of the ashtray sliding lid. (I routed them at the very back of the COMAND cavity and the underneath the plastic flap in the ashtray cavity held down by a 10 mm nut.)
- The COMAND dial cable -- at least on the 350 coupes -- has a hidden and inaccessible clip beneath the console. I tried cut plastic tabs, etc to no avail. I then (carefully) used a right-angle pick to the tease the cabling (after unhooking it from the connector by the ashtray) at its clip points to allow flipping over the console lid with enough slack. I've head of some people cutting the cable and re-soldering but that sounded insane to me.

P.S. Really like the curved corners, even in my 2013.

THOUGHTS AFTER 2 WEEKS:
- CKM now uses Rock from CarLife for technical support. Just an FYI and not a criticism
- Per securing the screen: You use the OEM screws to secure the faceplate (not the longer silver Philips provided with the kit) and use the silver Philips to secure the screen from the vertical holes in the back of the screen.
- Working really well after updating the firmware of the CarPlay adapter. No more freezing when using Waze/Google Maps with Spotify.
- The installed audio app SUCKS if you want an app that recognizes albums and artists without dumping them into an alphabetical list that is tiresome to scroll through if you're using a large SD card (256GB for me). I tried all the top apps (AIMP, BlackPlayer, DoubleTwist, JetAudio, Musicolet, Phonograph, PowerAmp, RocketPlayer, Shuffle) and I feel JetAudio+ (the pay version) has the best interface for the screen and is able to search your SD card (and allow you to do so as well) in an iTunes-esque manner. The poor man's version is to use ES File Explorer.
- For video, I use VLC and MX Player. Both have a nice interface with the unit and work really well.

CURRENT ISSUE:
- Don't get the best GPS signal in Bay Area. Have the GPS adapter mounted by the OEM adapter and positioned appropriately. I bought splitters (so I can use the OEM antenna); however the standard Fakra adapter fins/prongs do not match with those on the back of the COMAND unit so I need some help figuring this out. But not an urgent need.

Thanks again for all your help so far!
How did you update firmware of CarPlay adapter?
I had someone install my unit and love it but there is a gap with the mount provides but was told by car life mall that it should sit flush so I have to try remove the screen and try refit it properly
Old 07-13-2019, 03:29 AM

W204 c180 2011 Facebook Lift model
I also had some problem with the gps at first with the antenna mounted under the dashboard, with the antenna on the windshield it worked well. Sometimes it takes a little while to pick up the signal, but once it did, it's precise and fast.

The unit was bought on Ali for 340€ with tax free shipping to Europe.
I've also installed a sim card and it works fine with LTE.
For me the factory settings code was 0207.
This unit comes with 3GB of ram and 32GB of rom (confirmed via benchmark tool).

The seller was super helpful in solving my problem during install and clearly have a direct contact with the manufacturer.
The unit I bought is this one:
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bXigIG6y
It looks similar to what the others offer for 500$+
Old 07-13-2019, 02:45 PM

MERCEDES E63 AMG 5.5 V8
Originally Posted by Tito Alo
I also had some problem with the gps at first with the antenna mounted under the dashboard, with the antenna on the windshield it worked well. Sometimes it takes a little while to pick up the signal, but once it did, it's precise and fast.

The seller was super helpful in solving my problem during install and clearly have a direct contact with the manufacturer.

Great price I paid £450 to the uk should be here any day now mine is the 4GB of ram and 64GB of ROM not sure what difference that makes for the extra £100+ but yours was a great price.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:32 AM

W212
Unfortunately,

Hey all, been having issues figuring out where to get info to putting this back to factory default. I've looked through the forum and I'm not sure where the link to the software I need is
Thanks
Old 07-14-2019, 01:38 AM

E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Sukmonkey
Hey all, been having issues figuring out where to get info to putting this back to factory default. I've looked through the forum and I'm not sure where the link to the software I need is
Thanks
There's a tiny reset button on the side of the unit
Old 07-14-2019, 02:46 AM

W212
I've tried the reset button on the side but to no effect. It still comes up " unfortunately, system ui has stopped" I'm hoping a factory reset will fix this.
Thanks for the reply
Old 07-14-2019, 12:33 PM

W204 c180 2011 Facebook Lift model
Did you try to keep pressing on the button for 5 seconds and click on the screen after the screen restarted? (You need to press on the tactile screen to trigger it).

Or through the settings menu I think it's also possible to do a reset, via the factory settings menu (the one you need a password to enter).
Old 07-15-2019, 01:53 AM

W212
Did you try to keep pressing on the button for 5 seconds and click on the screen after the screen restarted? (You need to press on the tactile screen to trigger it).

Or through the settings menu I think it's also possible to do a reset, via the factory settings menu (the one you need a password to enter).
Hi, thanks for replying,
I tried what you suggested and it didn't show me any indication that it had any effect. Also, I cant get into any menus since it pretty much locks me out when the message appears.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:03 PM

E Class
İ have this screen on my w212 facelift. İts cool.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:20 PM

MERCEDES E63 AMG 5.5 V8
Hey guys had my new curved unit delivered this afternoon and looks amazing they also as requested put the firmware back to the previous version as I'm not to sure on the new style. I've tried my best to get it all working but I'm having issues �� hopefully the seller will reply soon to help me out
Old 07-16-2019, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
2010 c300
Anyone buy the 9.3 inch version for w204 pre facelift?
Old 07-16-2019, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
What is this new “curved” unit
Old 07-16-2019, 12:58 PM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Originally Posted by djrabbi
What is this new “curved” unit
It's the same 4gb hardware as the last one with a more rounded corner look. They have changed up the version never in the buildprop but it is the same firmware. It does have a new look launcher app which is styled more like the latest OEM system.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
Ahhh okay. Pics would be nice of this new unit?!? I love my unit, though I hate the carplay aspect since I cannot change songs through the steering controls
Old 07-16-2019, 01:36 PM

Mercedes w204

Were you able to make "OK GOOGLE" or google assistant work too?

Old 07-16-2019, 04:34 PM

E350 Sport
Just to throw this out there if anyone needs the info.

If you need to get amazon prime video to work properly on these units, you need to have OTP setup on your account first before logging into the app on the device.
The following users liked this post:
djrabbi (07-16-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 05:17 PM

Mercedes CLA
Hey guys had my new curved unit delivered this afternoon and looks amazing they also as requested put the firmware back to the previous version as I'm not to sure on the new style. I've tried my best to get it all working but I'm having issues �� hopefully the seller will reply soon to help me out
Hi wenglish, I have also just received the new rounded version and I think I have got it all working, I do find the new software a little buggy. I see they have changed the code for getting into the volume levels, don't suppose you know this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: 10.25 inch android headunit installed