Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E220 W212 2014 Plate
Smile E CLass Mercedes (W212) ECO Problem

Hi Guys,

New to this site and after some assistance please

I have owned the E Class since August this year.

Now around the beginning of November the engine management light came on and after the main dealer completed a diagnostic check they confirmed the problem was due to the exhaust temperature sensor being faulty. This was replaced as the car was under the used approved warranty.

Now there have been times where I have started the car and the ECO light which would normally appear on the dash (which is usually yellow, however once all the parameters are met it turns green) did not appear. I even tried to switch this on by pressing the ECO button, however this didn't help either.

After reaching my destination as soon as I switched the engine off and re-started it, the ECO light appeared on my dash. Surely this is not normal?

The dealer was made aware of this and after completing there diagnostic they advised me they could not find any fault codes on the car, however they did realise that the SAM box (ECU from what I have been told) did have some updates pending which could resolve this issue.

Last week once again the ECO light did not appear on my dash which has meant the car is now back with the main dealer for them to work out what the issue is.

Does anyone have any advice as to what could be causing the problem? I have been told that the ECO light should always appear on the dash. Initially it will be yellow, however once all the parameters have been met it will turn green which confirms the stop/start functionality is active.

Your help with the above would be appreciated.

Thaaaaank you

Nadeem
Old 12-21-2017, 05:05 AM

C200
One of my friends got the same trouble before,at last had to ask dealer help to solve this problem.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK320
Originally Posted by Chasen11
One of my friends got the same trouble before,at last had to ask dealer help to solve this problem.
well what was the problem
Old 12-21-2017, 09:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
na
Originally Posted by Lorenz320
well what was the problem
It would help if you could tell us what the dealer ended up finding out.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chasen11
Were they able to diagnose the issue?

I received a call from the Main Dealer to provide me an interim update which was they still could not work out what the problem was. They sent information off to the technical team and waiting for a call back.

Apparently spent all day on Wednesday trying to determine what the issue was.. Doesn't fill me with confidence....
Old 01-02-2018, 07:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
E350
My 2015 E does not have the ECO light on dash when it's in "yellow" status. Only when rarely the green ECO On (green) light came on and shut off the engine. I ask the dealer about the missing yellow ECO light on dash today.This is the replay on invoice "CHECKED KNOWN GOOD VEHICLE VERIFIED CAR DOES NOT SAY ECO ON DASH" . I know preface lift models does have the yellow ECO light on dash, but not sure about 2014-2016 W212. Let me know what your dealer is able to find out.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by LALALAND
My 2015 E does not have the ECO light on dash when it's in "yellow" status. Only when rarely the green ECO On (green) light came on and shut off the engine. I ask the dealer about the missing yellow ECO light on dash today.This is the replay on invoice "CHECKED KNOWN GOOD VEHICLE VERIFIED CAR DOES NOT SAY ECO ON DASH" . I know preface lift models does have the yellow ECO light on dash, but not sure about 2014-2016 W212. Let me know what your dealer is able to find out.
Mine 2014 is the same way. I have green "E" on main cluster that stays the same no matter what and when the engine stops I have green square with "ECO" popping up.
Wish I had some indication when system will work and when not. This time of the year in Las Vegas we stop in traffic A LOT and I had situation when after multiple ECO stops, I was waiting with foot on brakes and engine restarted. I assume the battery went low at some point and that was why, but this is shooting in the dark.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:56 AM

Right Guys,

I got my car back yesterday from the main dealer. They had the car for 3 weeks and within the 3 week period were unable to replicate the problem. The vehicle had a total of 7 software updates outstanding which they updated. The also replaced both front and rear car batteries and also replaced the ECO switch. The technician test drove the car for two weeks and could not find the issue that I had highlighted to them. It was even escalated to Mercedes Benz Germany who came back to the technicians advising them to replicate the fault and it will store the fault codes on the internal computer. The vehicle keeps a history of the previous 3 startups on its internal computer. Since having the problem I had started the car up over the 3 time threshold hence why that information had been lost. Thanks the senior technician for his assistance in trying his best to resolve the issue.

There was a time where the ECO start functionality didn’t activate and after the technician checked what it was because the Air conditioning would have misted the windows. There’s so many variables and over 30 computers processing information.

Told the Sales Manager if I have one more problem with the car I won’t be giving you the benefit of the doubt to attempt to fix it. Instead I shall drive up to the retailer (which is a two hour drive fr9m where I live), and I will chuck the keys in his face,

Lets hope this is the end of it. All I can suggest is take the car to the dealer and ask for them to check for any outstanding software updates and get them updated. Can’t understand why main dealer retailers do not pra-actively check to see if any updates are available for the vehicle when they go in for any work. Seems they would rather be reactive instead.

Any way hope you manage to get your issues resolved.

Thanks

Nadeem
Old 01-07-2018, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by nadeem.nasar198
Can’t understand why main dealer retailers do not pra-actively check to see if any updates are available for the vehicle when they go in for any work. Seems they would rather be reactive instead.

I think you are expecting too much. MB has technology upgrades on fast lane in last years and lot of USA technicians still learn technology that come from Germany 3 models back. Why would they willingly go into car software, what brings high risk that they will make a mess not kowing what button to press?
You can read how US technicians messed up Sprinter models, who have been extremely reliable in Europe for last 20 years - can't make a week without repair while maintained in USA
Since my previous reply, I have seen some videos and what I concluded - prelifted W212 do have yellow square with " ECO" coming on the cluster, what turns green when the option kicks in.
Post-lifted models don't have the yellow square.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
E350
Actually all post face lift car has ECO in yellow when it's not active. I saw them on youtube videos yesterday. just type in " 2014 mb 350 start and exhaust" and you will see many video of it. Not sure what the dealer mechanics are smoking. Don't know who talk with about ECO yellow status missing on dash. It's alright, guess I have to get use to the 15.55 mpg use in local traffic (calculate on gas/mile not from car computer).

Oh when ECO is activated, a slight lift or change in pressure on the peddle will start up the engine again.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by kajtek1
I think you are expecting too much. MB has technology upgrades on fast lane in last years and lot of USA technicians still learn technology that come from Germany 3 models back. Why would they willingly go into car software, what brings high risk that they will make a mess not kowing what button to press?
You can read how US technicians messed up Sprinter models, who have been extremely reliable in Europe for last 20 years - can't make a week without repair while maintained in USA
Since my previous reply, I have seen some videos and what I concluded - prelifted W212 do have yellow square with " ECO" coming on the cluster, what turns green when the option kicks in.
Post-lifted models don't have the yellow square.
That's what I am referring to where mine is a pre-lifted model it does have the 'ECO' light appear on the dash initially in yellow. In some cases it would not appear at all.

After getting the car back from the dealer so far so good.

Thanks

Nadeem