How many here use one of these?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,105 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
How many here use one of these?

Here is Texas, the primary problem with car finishes (between the occasional rains) is dust and pollens. I bought one of these California Dusters with my first Mercedes 17 years ago. I still have my original one, and swear by it.

For quick dust and other minor accumulations, it works wonders. Even when I think my car is pristine, I can pass this over the finish and I'm amazed to discover how much junk it picks-up. I can do the whole car in under 5-minutes, and it doesn't seem to affect the finish at all.

You can find them at several places, now. Be sure to get the "Original California Duster" that comes in it's own pouch. It protects the mop from picking up unnecessary stuff, and it contains what you have wiped up on the fibers, so you can just store it in the trunk... Great prep tool for when you're going to a car meet... https://www.autogeek.net/orcacardupha.htmlproductid=orcacardupha&channelid= BIZRA

Last edited by DFWdude; 07-09-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Ha, yeah I have tried that waxy thing a few years ago and sold it in a garage sale. It is worthless on any surface that is not horizontal to the Earth plus I always felt I was tearing up the finish. It is best used at Mecum auctions. LOL
Old 07-09-2018, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,105 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by KEY08
Ha, yeah I have tried that waxy thing a few years ago and sold it in a garage sale. It is worthless on any surface that is not horizontal to the Earth plus I always felt I was tearing up the finish. It is best used at Mecum auctions. LOL
Funny you mention where it's best used, because I think it really shines on the vertical surfaces. For me, it works a peach getting the dust within the sculpting of the Sport side skirts, and on the vertical rear of the car (bumper, twin exhaust facia, and rear spoiler, etc). As I get older, I don't bend over to wipe surfaces with a rag anymore.

I stopped worrying about tearing up the finish when I found it useful on window glass, too. It picks up 100% of the dust on the glass, and leaves no residue at all that you can see from inside the car. So I reasoned it can't possibly damage the paint.

I don't use it on the wheels. But everything else is fair game.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I bought one of those things years ago. Probably in storage somewhere. The problem here is you get all sorts of bird droppings and other larger items aside from pollen so I never really got into using it.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 MB E-550
DFWdude I concur..... I've had mine more years than I care to admit, and use it plenty. And like you.... I'm gettin' too "Long in th' Tooth" to be doin' a lot of bending when I don't need too.....
Be Well
Fred
Old 07-09-2018, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
I have had one for years and I do use it when it's appropriate. If I look at my car and see tree sap and bird droppings all over it- I don't use it. I guess common sense needs to be included in the directions.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:45 AM

Received 141 Likes on 105 Posts
2010 E550
I have one of these, I use it almost everyday cause it's really dusty where I park. Makes my time in between car washes last much longer.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Been using California duster for couple of decades, but for me main goal is to put cars into garage as where I have been living, the sun is worse enemy.
Very often I scratch my head when I see MB younger than my models and clear coat badly curling.
The owners usually keep $500 worth of crap in garage.
I heard that ostrich brush works well too.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e350
I live in Dallas and keep one of those in my trunk. Between that and Quick Detail, I keep my car spotless between washes. I've used them for about 15 years.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by KEY08
Last time I used one of those was on my 57 chevy or on one of the bicycles I have. I have it somewhere in the garage. Would never think about using it on a new car finish.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by DFWdude
Funny you mention where it's best used, because I think it really shines on the vertical surfaces. For me, it works a peach getting the dust within the sculpting of the Sport side skirts, and on the vertical rear of the car (bumper, twin exhaust facia, and rear spoiler, etc). As I get older, I don't bend over to wipe surfaces with a rag anymore.

I stopped worrying about tearing up the finish when I found it useful on window glass, too. It picks up 100% of the dust on the glass, and leaves no residue at all that you can see from inside the car. So I reasoned it can't possibly damage the paint.

I don't use it on the wheels. But everything else is fair game.
Agreed. I have and use the same one for pollen, etc. Doesn't work for bird droppings, tree sap or other types of abrasive grunge such as the asphalt and highway construction dust I get around here.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
2014 E350 W212
Originally Posted by DFWdude
I bought one of these California Dusters with my first Mercedes 17 years ago. I still have my original one, and swear by it.
...been using the california duster for over 15 years now also, and also to great success... has to be somewhat low humidity (no marine layer) so the dust is picked up successfully and doesn't just smear - but in ca, on a garaged car, used once every couple of days along with a spray detailer and i can go three or fours weeks without washing, sometimes more - like you, i have my original one and it works great - no spider webbing as long as you use no pressure, just let it glide over a clean but dusty car - and magic - clean and dust free again...

and yeah, like others have posted, for light dusting only, not to be used for any type of heavy dirt or spot removal (bird / bee droppings, pollen / water spots, etc.) - that's what the spray detailer and washing is for.

ps...
you're not allowed to use a california duster in texas... ;-) i kid, i kid... happy dusting...