E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350/W212/2016 & C204/2012. Past E350 C207, W204 x2
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
I cannot be any more clear: I have the port in both the cars (both MY2014 NTG4.7) and have not used the MMI/AMI with either the Joyeauto or Road Top units. Both sent audio directly into the main wire harness (AKA power cable) on the back of the Comand unit. I never touched the center console for either installation. Looking at the manual now, I realize that I never made it past the wiring diagram on page 2 as everything just worked as it was. And sure enough, I see now where it mentions the AMI port on page 4 that I skipped as everything was working.

This only reinforces my opinion that enabling AUX in the engineering menu is the key to the whole thing as the GL had already been setup for AUX during the previous Joyeauto installation.

FWIW, this is the exact Road Top unit I purchased. It looks like they changed the listing in the interim as it originally listed multiple MB vehicles including the GL, now it just says GLK. (I did have to change the DIPs on the unit for a 7" screen as it arrived pre-set for 5.8".)

Hope this helps.
First of all a world of thanks to cadetdrivr for starting this post and sharing so much knowledge and insight encouraging the rest of us to dig into the mod project. Also thanks to others sharing experiences as well. I want to pay it forward by sharing my succesful experience so far.

I have a C204/C200 Coupe 2012 with NTG 4.5/6CD/HK/AMI/MMI/USB. After having consumed all the posts in this thread and more I ordered the Road Top unit on Aliexpress last Monday the 21st. Seller contacted me to get confirmation (picture) that the HU is NTG 4.5 - good service! It was shipped the day after and I received it on Friday 25! I am impressed by the speediness, but suspect that they have a stock in the EU, excellent!

On Sunday I went ahead with the installation in my car and it went fairly smooth. Biggest challenge was to get the HU back in place as there isn't much room with the extra harness. Was about to give up after abt 3 hours of struggling but finally discovered that by pushing the connector down below the HU and making sure that none of the cables/harnesses crossed each other or folded in the back of the unit I managed to push it the last millimeters into place - phew! I have the Road Top unit sitting in the top shelf in the glove box and cut a small hole in the left side of the wall for the cabling. Power on and pairing with Iphone 11 Pro as well as Iphone 6s went smoothly but at first I had no sound. Only after connecting the adapter that came with the unit to the AMI port (in the console) and then the Aux jack from the unit I had sound. I will still need to figure out how to hide the Aux cable from the RT unit down to the console and guess I need to disassemble the console. Something for a rainy day.

I have noticed the posts from cadetdrivr and others that the actual connection to Aux should not be necessary (and I'd love to get rid of the Aux cable!). Yesterday I discovered that in Carplay mode you can actually get the sound through the OEM bluetooth connection, i.e. as a regular BT player. This means that the skip buttons on the HU also work (which they don't in AUX input on the HU). However, the solution is not at all seamless as you need first need to go into Carplay. Then switch back to HU (C button 3 secs) and change Audio input to BT. Stop/start playback and then go back to Carplay where playback hopefully is running. After ignition off and start again you need to repeat procedure, so not really workable. Maybe it is different on NTG 4.7, but leads me to think if any of you guys have ideas of how to make this work better? In conclusion I reckon that the Road Top units sound connection is only the analog Aux output, but some sources like Carplay and Phone may be able to send sound directly to HU via BT with varying user friendliness. Your comments and ideas are invited!

Last edited by AndLarDK; 09-29-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 E250 4Matic
[QUOTE=AndLarDK;8167593

I have noticed the posts from cadetdrivr and others that the actual connection to Aux should not be necessary (and I'd love to get rid of the Aux cable!). Yesterday I discovered that in Carplay mode you can actually get the sound through the OEM bluetooth connection, i.e. as a regular BT player. This means that the skip buttons on the HU also work (which they don't in AUX input on the HU). However, the solution is not at all seamless as you need first need to go into Carplay. Then switch back to HU (C button 3 secs) and change Audio input to BT. Stop/start playback and then go back to Carplay where playback hopefully is running. After ignition off and start again you need to repeat procedure, so not really workable. Maybe it is different on NTG 4.7, but leads me to think if any of you guys have ideas of how to make this work better? In conclusion I reckon that the Road Top units sound connection is only the analog Aux output, but some sources like Carplay and Phone may be able to send sound directly to HU via BT with varying user friendliness. Your comments and ideas are invited! [/QUOTE]

Did you enable/check aux on in engineering mode?
Have ntg 4.7 that was all that is needed can find some instructions if you didnt
Old 09-29-2020, 09:20 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Badwolf
Did you enable/check aux on in engineering mode?
Have ntg 4.7 that was all that is needed can find some instructions if you didnt
No. AUX on not an option in my NTG 4.5 in Engineering Mode. Have firmware update of NTG 4.5 booked with tech next week, so will see if it might appear then.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:22 AM

Received 320 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by AndLarDK
I have noticed the posts from cadetdrivr and others that the actual connection to Aux should not be necessary (and I'd love to get rid of the Aux cable!).
Also disconnect the AUX adapter from the AMI/MMI port in the center console. There should be nothing attached to the port.

If it still doesn't work, then try the setting adjustment in Engineering Mode as described in post #2.

It appears that Comand can detect when an adapter is attached and will change its behavior accordingly.
The following users liked this post:
AndLarDK (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 09:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 E250 4Matic
Originally Posted by AndLarDK
No. AUX on not an option in my NTG 4.5 in Engineering Mode. Have firmware update of NTG 4.5 booked with tech next week, so will see if it might appear then.
Not an option? Not listed at all or just grayed out and doesn't allow you to change?

Also do you have Harmon system or base?
Old 09-29-2020, 09:45 AM

Received 320 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
deleted
Old 09-29-2020, 09:45 AM

Smile

Not an option? Not listed at all or just grayed out and doesn't allow you to change?

Also do you have Harmon system or base?
Not listed. Yes, I have the HK option.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 2012
Originally Posted by anglo_merc
Hi Ian. I also have a W204 so I'm curious to know if you needed the 3.5mm aux cable to be run into the centre console AMI/MMI port via the adapter or did you find that simply changing the AUX setting in the Engineering menu was sufficient for the sound to work correctly? Thanks.
Sorry to only just be getting back to you.

No I didn't need the cable to the aux on my car. I did't even need to change the aux setting in engineer mode. Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:59 AM

W204 2012
Does anyone have the firmware for the BENZ Hardware or can I install BENZ2 firmware?
Old 09-30-2020, 05:16 AM

cla200
Just finished installing this and all working perfect. Except sometimes when the revs go up there is a whizzing sound that goes along with it. Has anyone seen anything like this?
Old 10-01-2020, 04:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
none
I still have an annoying problem with the Joyeauto unit where on occasion (3 out of 5 times), the menu selection in CarPlay or even the main menu can only move a few icons left or right. The only way to fix it is to long pres the C button to go to toggle to the MB menu then back to joyauto.

Are you guys also seeing this behavior with the RoadTop unit? I would totally ditch joyeauto and get the RoadTop unit if this isn’t an issue on that unit. I use Apple CarPlay only.

Last edited by inittab; 10-01-2020 at 04:23 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:12 PM

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
2016 S550
they shared some new mcu and system update with me to try to fix 360 camera, its almost fixed, except it still turns off front view at around 10kph, insted of 35, but its consistent and the unit seems more stable, unsure if i should share here
Would you mind sharing? They sent me a previous attempt to fix and it’s not consistent and only works in maybe 15% of the time I go into drive. I don’t mind the 10kmph because it at least allows you to do parking maneuvers without having to exit the CarPlay menu.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:30 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2012 E550 Cabriolet 2011 VW Eos 1985 Pininfarina Spider
Originally Posted by inittab
I still have an annoying problem with the Joyeauto unit where on occasion (3 out of 5 times), the menu selection in CarPlay or even the main menu can only move a few icons left or right. The only way to fix it is to long pres the C button to go to toggle to the MB menu then back to joyauto.

Are you guys also seeing this behavior with the RoadTop unit? I would totally ditch joyeauto and get the RoadTop unit if this isn’t an issue on that unit. I use Apple CarPlay only.
I have the Joyeauto unit and have this sometimes. My biggest issue is that the unit no longer connects automatically. I have to connect the BT and wifi manually each time, and sometimes that doesn't even work. Also, I have manually change the day/night settings on Waze. Waze on my iPhone works fine when not connected to the Joyeauto unit.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:56 PM

none
Originally Posted by Davery
I have the Joyeauto unit and have this sometimes. My biggest issue is that the unit no longer connects automatically. I have to connect the BT and wifi manually each time, and sometimes that doesn't even work. Also, I have manually change the day/night settings on Waze. Waze on my iPhone works fine when not connected to the Joyeauto unit.
I also was having to connect manually at times. After the last firmware update, it occurs a lot less frequently. When it does, I toggle airplane mode off and on to correct the issue. If the RoadTop unit has the same issues, I’m going to consider an android screen based unit. Those also have their share of issues from what I’m reading.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:17 PM
wsc

BMW E46
Just got mine! How long does it take to install for a newbie to this on a W204? We talking 1-2 hours or 4? Just trying to prepare time to do it!!!
Old 10-01-2020, 06:48 PM

none
Originally Posted by wsc
Just got mine! How long does it take to install for a newbie to this on a W204? We talking 1-2 hours or 4? Just trying to prepare time to do it!!!
You’re going to have a hard time installing it behind the radio so just go straight for the side of the glove box or around that area. I ended up taking my car to Best Buy’s geek squad and having them to it for less than $100. Can’t remember the exact price. Initially it took me like 5 hours before I gave up. By all means if you are skilled and getting things to fit in tight places go for it.

Last edited by inittab; 10-01-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:07 AM
wsc

BMW E46
You’re going to have a hard time installing it behind the radio so just go straight for the side of the glove box or around that area. I ended up taking my car to Best Buy’s geek squad and having them to it for less than $100. Can’t remember the exact price. Initially it took me like 5 hours before I gave up. By all means if you are skilled and getting things to fit in tight places go for it.
Was the length of cable an issue, or just fitting? Is there any extension cables I should buy to help? I'm going to try myself ha
Old 10-02-2020, 07:37 AM

cla200
Originally Posted by achandab1
Just finished installing this and all working perfect. Except sometimes when the revs go up there is a whizzing sound that goes along with it. Has anyone seen anything like this?
anyone experienced anything like this?
Old 10-02-2020, 05:17 PM

Does anyone else have the Joyeauto unit and having an issue with Waze? I have to manually change the day/night mode.

Last edited by Davery; 10-02-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:49 PM

none
Originally Posted by wsc
Was the length of cable an issue, or just fitting? Is there any extension cables I should buy to help? I'm going to try myself ha
The joyeauto unit placed behind me MB head unit didn’t allow the head unit to go all the way in. You can run the existing cables out the side with no issues, but it you want it farther away into the glove box, I believe you may need an extension. I’m not 100% sure. Maybe someone else can answer.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:49 AM

The joyeauto unit placed behind me MB head unit didn’t allow the head unit to go all the way in. You can run the existing cables out the side with no issues, but it you want it farther away into the glove box, I believe you may need an extension. I’m not 100% sure. Maybe someone else can answer.
I attached my unit under the glove box with no need for a cable extension. Even if I could of placed the unit behind the HU, I am glad I did not. There have been a few instances where I had to unplug the unit to restart.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:21 AM

none
Originally Posted by Davery
I attached my unit under the glove box with no need for a cable extension. Even if I could of placed the unit behind the HU, I am glad I did not. There have been a few instances where I had to unplug the unit to restart.
i think I’m going to relocate mine unit there as well for easy access or maybe Macgyver in a on/off switch. The unit can freeze sometimes and you have to turn off the car for 5 minutes to reset.

is the RoadTop unit any better? What I really want to know is if the RoadTop unit suffers from the menu icon left/right selection issue.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:47 AM
wsc

BMW E46
Connected my RoadTop to my W204 C Class, Ntg 4.5.

Command works, but the menu for the roadtop box does not show up. When I hold back for 3 seconds, it switches to Command all working, hold back again goes to a blank screen nothing loads up. I tried all the dial settings and no luck. Any ideas?
Old 10-03-2020, 10:56 AM

none
Originally Posted by wsc
Connected my RoadTop to my W204 C Class, Ntg 4.5.

Command works, but the menu for the roadtop box does not show up. When I hold back for 3 seconds, it switches to Command all working, hold back again goes to a blank screen nothing loads up. I tried all the dial settings and no luck. Any ideas?
You probably have one of the video output cable from the RoadTop unit loose incorrectly corrected. Pull everything apart and check the connections again.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:28 PM

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
2016 S550
i think I’m going to relocate mine unit there as well for easy access or maybe Macgyver in a on/off switch. The unit can freeze sometimes and you have to turn off the car for 5 minutes to reset.

is the RoadTop unit any better? What I really want to know is if the RoadTop unit suffers from the menu icon left/right selection issue.
I can tell you that my RoadToo unit doesn’t suffer from that issue. The only flaw is minor issue with factory 360 cam.
Also if car is on and connected, if I get out of the car and walk far enough to lose connection, when I return to the car it will not auto connect. Otherwise it almost always connects automatic when turning on the car for the first time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7