E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C220 CDI AMG 7G SPAIN
Originally Posted by Badwolf
file is too big to attach here is a link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...je?usp=sharing

I have installed CUST Version: v2.1.0.9.speach.lt.m4_2
I have the same issue, I can't open CarPlay, AirPlay, Android Auto....

Then I have installed MCU Version: 20.9.28.15, but the problem was not fixed either
I'm asking for an old version to Aliexpress Seller but he hasn't answered me for days

I will keep you informed
Thanks

EDIT: The problem was solved!
The seller sent me Cust Version: v2.1.0.9.gpe.m4_2
I can use Carplay and Invalid Update is not show in menu.

Last edited by SCCoupe; 10-18-2020 at 04:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SCCoupe:
Akim Nubi (11-22-2020), lovers_lose (07-12-2021)
Old 10-16-2020, 09:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2012 E550 Cabriolet 2011 VW Eos 1985 Pininfarina Spider
Originally Posted by Aussiejase
working on memory here.

did have this problem a bit, i think the solution was to set the auto day night in the phone (not for waze, but whole phone) and also set the day night modes on the joyeauto unit (I think I use 7am and 7pm), sorry for not more detail but im not near the car
I will try this tomorrow. I contacted Waze and they said the auto day/night mode on Waze is now controlled by the HU settings. So when the Waze is on auto, it uses the settings from the HU. The only thing is this doesn't work on my car. Both Waze and the HU is set to auto, but Waze will not switch to day mode.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C220 CDI AMG 7G SPAIN
Hello again! I need help for a friend

After upgrading from MCU 20.5.25 to MCU 20.9.28.15, his screen turns black
He can't use Comand or CarLink, although the sound works properly.

Anyone know another way to force MCU update?

He tried to do this without success
Update instructions

ISPBOOOT.BIN contains the software and upgrade.bin the MCU firmware.
Note that after upgrading the MCU it will still show the old version number. After another reboot it will show the updated version.
  1. Format a USB flash drive with FAT32
  2. Unzip the archive, then copy the upgrade file 'ISPBOOOT.BIN' (for Software) or 'upgrade.bin' (for MCU) into the root directory of the USB flash drive
  3. Insert the USB flash drive into the MMI's USB port
  4. Start the car and switch to the MMI
  5. Navigate to 'Setup' -> 'Software Update' -> 'System Update' or 'MCU Update' (newer versions will require a PIN, see below)
  6. Confirm the popup
  7. The upgrade takes ~1-2min. Do not power off the unit (i.e. don't turn off the car)
  8. The unit will automatically switch to iDrive. You can switch back to see the update progress

Force Flash Update

In case your unit does not boot up anymore or you have other issues updating there is a way to force flash an update.
  1. Put the ISPBOOOT.BIN file on a usb flash drive (FAT32) and plug it into the box
  2. The MMI box needs to be fully powered off (best to remove the power cable)
  3. Press and hold the 'Back' button on your iDrive controller. Do not let go!
  4. If you removed the power cable, plug it back in while still pressing the 'Back' button.
  5. Turn on the ignition of your car. Keep pressing the 'Back' button.
  6. The display should switch to a black screen and show the update screen shortly afterwards. You can let go of the 'Back' button now.Update instructions

ISPBOOOT.BIN contains the software and upgrade.bin the MCU firmware.
    Note that after upgrading the MCU it will still show the old version number. After another reboot it will show the updated version.
  7. Format a USB flash drive with FAT32
  8. Unzip the archive, then copy the upgrade file 'ISPBOOOT.BIN' (for Software) or 'upgrade.bin' (for MCU) into the root directory of the USB flash drive
  9. Insert the USB flash drive into the MMI's USB port
  10. Start the car and switch to the MMI
  11. Navigate to 'Setup' -> 'Software Update' -> 'System Update' or 'MCU Update' (newer versions will require a PIN, see below)
  12. Confirm the popup
  13. The upgrade takes ~1-2min. Do not power off the unit (i.e. don't turn off the car)
  14. The unit will automatically switch to iDrive. You can switch back to see the update progress

15. Force Flash Update

In case your unit does not boot up anymore or you have other issues updating there is a way to force flash an update.
  16. Put the ISPBOOOT.BIN file on a usb flash drive (FAT32) and plug it into the box
  17. The MMI box needs to be fully powered off (best to remove the power cable)
  18. Press and hold the 'Back' button on your iDrive controller. Do not let go!
  19. If you removed the power cable, plug it back in while still pressing the 'Back' button.
  20. Turn on the ignition of your car. Keep pressing the 'Back' button.
  21. The display should switch to a black screen and show the update screen shortly afterwards. You can let go of the 'Back' button now.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Hi, great thread. Very useful.

I have installed the Carsara unit in my ML350 w166. I had some issues like no sound at all, no image... but I learned a lot reading the forum. Now it is up and running, no need of extra mic, the talk button on the steering wheel enables Siri... Very happy so far.

I have a question. Have you managed to adjust the volume between apps? I mean, if I set the music to the volume I like, the indications from map are way too loud

Last edited by hachuflay; 10-25-2020 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:10 PM

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts
2016 S550
Originally Posted by hachuflay
Hi, great thread. Very useful.

I have installed the Carsara unit in my ML350 w166. I had some issues like no sound at all, no image... but I learned a lot reading the forum. Now it is up and running, no need of extra mic, the talk button on the steering wheel enables Siri... Very happy so far.

I have a question. Have you managed to adjust the volume between apps? I mean, if I set the music to the volume I like, the indications from map are way too loud.

Thanks,
Bruno
Had the same volume issue. You have to adjust the volume in the Sound settings for the CarPlay unit. It’s one of the two volume settings I believe, I forgot what it was called. But it’ll fix your issue.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
FWIW, this is one of the larger benefits of the newer units as CarPlay switches to night mode automatically when the headlights are on. Meanwhile the Joyeauto unit does this on a fixed schedule from 7pm to 7am.

One can adjust the brightness of the screen itself in Comand settings but 'dim enough' in the evening is probably also too dim for daytime if the unit is not in night mode.
How do you set the Joyeauto unit to a fixed schedule?
Old 10-25-2020, 06:28 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by 95Sinned420
Had the same volume issue. You have to adjust the volume in the Sound settings for the CarPlay unit. It’s one of the two volume settings I believe, I forgot what it was called. But it’ll fix your issue.
You are right! I changed what the settings call “Alter Volume” it does the job!

Wow! I love my carsara unit. I need to test the diming at night (I see it has night mode under settings)

I will also have to go to the w166 section of the forum to get advice on how to run the usb cable. That would be fantastic. Do you guys run wireless Carplay only? I think I would prefer usb only. So far I use wireless as I need to figure out how to run the cable.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:01 PM

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts
2016 S550
I've been running the Wireless way, haven't had any issues. Connects everytime I get in the car. The only thing is if connected and I walk away, say to the ATM, it disconnects and I may have to re-connect manually via bluetooth setting on phone.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:14 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by 95Sinned420
I've been running the Wireless way, haven't had any issues. Connects everytime I get in the car. The only thing is if connected and I walk away, say to the ATM, it disconnects and I may have to re-connect manually via bluetooth setting on phone.
I see there is a way to sync several devices. Is there a way to prioritize one device over others?
Old 10-26-2020, 08:51 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by Davery
How do you set the Joyeauto unit to a fixed schedule?
If you update the software the Joyeauto will do night mode. Unfortunately it’s a fixed 7am to 7pm setup.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:55 PM

You are right! I changed what the settings call “Alter Volume” it does the job!

Wow! I love my carsara unit. I need to test the diming at night (I see it has night mode under settings)

I will also have to go to the w166 section of the forum to get advice on how to run the usb cable. That would be fantastic. Do you guys run wireless Carplay only? I think I would prefer usb only. So far I use wireless as I need to figure out how to run the cable.
I also have it installed our GL (X166) which has an identical dash to the W166 and ran the USB cable down behind the lower dash trim above the cubby at the most forward portion of the center console.
The following users liked this post:
hachuflay (10-27-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 09:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
none
For those of you who are married or have a partner where these CarPlay modules are installed in their car, do they use it? My wife told me she does not trust it because it does not work when she needs it to. Like leaving the car and coming back and it doesn’t connect. Sometimes it freezes, the icons won’t move more than to places forwards and backward.

I’m fed up with it and thinking about pulling it out and throwing it in the trash. None of these solutions are without their quirks. They aren’t minor quirks either. You have to have a routine of troubleshooting every day.

For those of you who say it’s perfect, no problems at all. I would like to know which unit, and who you bought it from.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:12 PM

ML350
I also have it installed our GL (X166) which has an identical dash to the W166 and ran the USB cable down behind the lower dash trim above the cubby at the most forward portion of the center console.
Could you attach a picture please? Thanks!!
Old 10-27-2020, 03:14 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by inittab
For those of you who are married or have a partner where these CarPlay modules are installed in their car, do they use it? My wife told me she does not trust it because it does not work when she needs it to. Like leaving the car and coming back and it doesn’t connect. Sometimes it freezes, the icons won’t move more than to places forwards and backward.

I’m fed up with it and thinking about pulling it out and throwing it in the trash. None of these solutions are without their quirks. They aren’t minor quirks either. You have to have a routine of troubleshooting every day.

For those of you who say it’s perfect, no problems at all. I would like to know which unit, and who you bought it from.
This is why I want to run a USB cable. Wireless connectivity is fine with one driver but I expect some conflicts when we add more phones to the system. Even more, how prioritize one phone over the other when both are inside the car.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:45 PM

Could you attach a picture please? Thanks!!
I have a Lightning cable attached to the USB. The cable is tucked under the dash trim on the right side and down to the cubby. It's normally kept looped up and out of the way in the cubby unless we need it.

Old 10-27-2020, 03:51 PM

ML350
I have a Lightning cable attached to the USB. The cable is tucked under the dash trim on the right side and down to the cubby. It's normally kept looped up and out of the way in the cubby unless we need it.

I love it!!! In order to do that. Did you have to drill a hole?
Old 10-27-2020, 03:55 PM

I love it!!! In order to do that. Did you have to drill a hole?
Nope.

It's tucked under the trim (visible in the upper right hand corner of the photo) and then back under that same trim forward into the passenger footwell. Go far enough forward and there's access inside the dash to connect it.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
none
This is why I want to run a USB cable. Wireless connectivity is fine with one driver but I expect some conflicts when we add more phones to the system. Even more, how prioritize one phone over the other when both are inside the car.
I have tried the cable. It solved the WiFi connection issue but not the other issues.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:24 PM

If you update the software the Joyeauto will do night mode. Unfortunately it’s a fixed 7am to 7pm setup.
I have the 2020-8-12 update. Isn't that the most recent? The issue isn't night mode, as when Waze is on auto it will switch to night mode. It just will not switch to day mode unless I manually change Waze to day mode.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Davery
I have the 2020-8-12 update. Isn't that the most recent? The issue isn't night mode, as when Waze is on auto it will switch to night mode. It just will not switch to day mode unless I manually change Waze to day mode.
Yes, that's the most current on their website. Maybe contact Joyeauto?

Note that there are both light and dark modes that are different than day or night modes. The thing I don't like is the fixed schedule from 7 to 7 where in contrast the RoadTop switches whenever the headlights are on.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:13 AM

B Class 200 W246
good afternoon, I have a 2014 B200 automatic and just got the Joyeauto carplay. I managed to install everything on my own but i am having problems with call, at first i had both MB BT and Carplay BT paired but then after reading some threads i've learnt that only the carplay bt should be paired. when I make a phone call via carplay i can hear the other person but they can't hear me. I am stil in contact with joyeauto but to tell you the truth they are not helpful
can anyione pls try to help me, bdw i have iphoen 7 with ios 14.1 installed

thks
aldo

Old 10-29-2020, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Aldo Brincat
good afternoon, I have a 2014 B200 automatic and just got the Joyeauto carplay. I managed to install everything on my own but i am having problems with call, at first i had both MB BT and Carplay BT paired but then after reading some threads i've learnt that only the carplay bt should be paired. when I make a phone call via carplay i can hear the other person but they can't hear me. I am stil in contact with joyeauto but to tell you the truth they are not helpful
can anyione pls try to help me, bdw i have iphoen 7 with ios 14.1 installed

thks
aldo
Try the opposite. Use MB BT for calls--you can select this on the iPhone screen during a call. It seems like the iPhone then remembers your preference after a couple times. As a bonus, the MB mic has better noise cancellation so the calls will be clearer.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:55 AM

B Class 200 W246
Hi thks for your reply, when I switch speaker from iphone screen from carplay to mb bt then it's the oether way round, they can hear me but i cannot and i have an issue with playing a video through the usb cable, there is a delay between sound and visual any clew why pls ?
Old 10-29-2020, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Aldo Brincat
Hi thks for your reply, when I switch speaker from iphone screen from carplay to mb bt then it's the oether way round, they can hear me but i cannot and i have an issue with playing a video through the usb cable, there is a delay between sound and visual any clew why pls ?
Sorry, I don’t have any experience playing videos via USB.

But, in reference to the phone please ensure in MB Comand that your phone is paired on the telephone screen and the audio is in AUX. Then switch over to CarPlay and make a call using the phone itself but selecting MB Bluetooth before actually placing the call.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:27 AM

B Class 200 W246
Hi thanks for your help, I've removed everything and going to send it back, it was a waste of time and money !!!
If anyone knows of a good and reliable one which works perfectly pls give me details i will appreciate a lot.

thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7