E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E550
Ordered the new box from RoadTop Carplay store. Delivery came in just 4 days.

Install went flawlessly. Big thanks to cadetdrivr for this perfect guide!

Roadtop also has a video guide but they skip a few steps - like where to put the box! (
)

The only thing I can really add re install, is that I placed the CarPlay box under the glove box and I didn’t remove the glove box. I simply lowered the under cover after loosening the three T20 screws. I then threaded a stiff picture wire from the footwell to the COMAND cavity. It’s a very short distance and could almost use my fingers, but not quite. Then taped the cables to the picture wire one by one and fished them to the foot well. Stuck the box and antenna just forward of the cabin air filter and closed it up. I’m using wireless and left all the cables inside. The box is only three screws away if needed.

Observations after one outing:
-Back button on steering window doesn’t work. But Siri, phone, and volume on steering wheel do.
-Still a little confused about connecting on start-up and occasionally get kicked off. That could be a bug or user error...
-Going into reverse turns on the OEM 360 reverse camera. But shifting to forward goes back to CarPlay immediately, which is not ideal when parking. There is a “front view” delay timer in settings but it seems to be for an aftermarket camera only, not OEM.
-Took me a little over an hour for the full install. My only suggestion is be gentle and slow everywhere. Everything is pretty fragile on the inside.
-Could be my imagination but the screen looks much brighter.
-Despite claims from the vendor that I needed the AMI cable, I did not. Just setting the system to Aux was needed.

2014 E550 with HK sound.
The following users liked this post:
Wenglish1984 (10-30-2021)
Old 06-27-2020, 02:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes C250
Road Top Unit Heating Up

I installed the Road Top unit yesterday on my 2014 C250 W204. It works great so far and no complaints. I must say it took me 3 years to commit to adding a CarPlay module to the car lol. Shout out to all the folks on the forum that have shared their experiences and knowledge regarding this topic.
After installing my unit, I noticed that the cables weren’t long enough to fit the unit in the glovebox, so I decided to place it all the way at the back under the cabin air filter shield (passenger side). I’m sort of glad I did that so it gets some air circulating through the unit as I’ve noticed that the unit gets pretty hot/warm. Does anyone else have a similar issue/ experience with the unit heating up? I guess I’m a bit concerned that the unit doesn’t overheat or worse catch fire and BBQ the car!

Last edited by Zapper_Benz; 06-27-2020 at 02:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
billtang (06-23-2021)
Old 06-27-2020, 11:51 AM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by bE550
Roadtop also has a video guide but they skip a few steps - like where to put the box!

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKu0shWB4WA).
Yikes! They did leave out some steps, including releasing the tabs in the vents before removing the trim. If one just starts pulling on the trim as shown in the video it's a perfect way to totally crack, if not break, the trim.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:00 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec, 1966 Ford Mustang Convertible (sold)
@cadetdrivr Where did you install the unit in your GL? I’m curious because all the tutorials show behind the Command unit but you installed it in your glove compartment in your other car. Would the glove compartment be possible for the GL/ML? I would prefer that because of heat concerns.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Potrice
@cadetdrivr Where did you install the unit in your GL? I’m curious because all the tutorials show behind the Command unit but you installed it in your glove compartment in your other car. Would the glove compartment be possible for the GL/ML? I would prefer that because of heat concerns.
@Potrice

The GL/ML (X166/W166) is the easiest possible install of them all, IMHO.

It fits in the nice open space right behind the climate controls that's directly below the Comand unit, although I suppose the glove compartment would also be an option if the harness reaches that far.

If you mount it behind the climate controls there are a grand total of two screws required for installation, and both are for the Comand unit locking mounts. The silver trim bezel around the Comand unit pops right off and ditto for the climate control panel itself after the bezel above is removed. You only have to pop out the Climate control panel so it can be moved out the way. The attached wiring is long enough for it to hang down so there's no need to unplug the climate control harness.

Once both the bezel and the climate control panel are out of the way you have easy access to the two screws to remove the Comand unit.

Watch the Unichip installation video in post #2 of the this thread, everything is the same except for the box you are installing.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 06-27-2020 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w205
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
Just to close the loop on this thread, I would suggest that anybody considering installing a CarPlay module look for a next-generation unit.

I don't know if Joyeauto will supply one eventually but there appear to be couple different companies offering what appear to be similar, if not identical units. FWIW, I purchased a unit from Road Top (via aliexpress) as the identical unit from Road Top on amazon.com was more expensive. (It looks like the prices are much closer now. YMMV)

I wanted to try it out in the wife's GL and the installation instructions are essentially identical except for fewer required connections.

IMHO, these newer units have several advantages:
  • Longer, and simplified, wire harness so it's easier to place bundle behind Comand unit
  • Uses MB mic for phone calls
  • No need to wire mic or AUX cables, but you still may need to enable AUX in the Comand engineering mode
  • Unit automatically switches CarPlay to dark mode instead of on a fixed schedule
  • MUCH more reliable wireless CarPlay connection. It "just works"
  • Much more simplified system settings
  • Less expensive
Disadvantages:
  • Road Top does not have a website that I know of, so support may be a consideration, including future firmware updates. That said, this new unit is FAR more refined and polished as it is.
Hello. can you please help me in the wiring for the camera module.

please advice to which wire this red wire which runs from the camera module be connected.

Should the camera receive juice from these wires or should the camera be connected to the reverse light in the trunk?
Old 07-02-2020, 02:00 PM

w205
Hello, i am a newbie in the field and i would be very grateful if someone could help me out to connect my rear camera to the module.

is this wire connected to the 12v power supply or the cable with states back signal?
Old 07-02-2020, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zayd Romjon
Hello. can you please help me in the wiring for the camera module.

please advice to which wire this red wire which runs from the camera module be connected.

Should the camera receive juice from these wires or should the camera be connected to the reverse light in the trunk?
I have no idea, sorry.

Both my MBs have OEM MB rear cameras so I did not use the aftermarket connections.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:22 AM

2014 MB GLK 250
Hi,
I have 2014 GLK Bluetec - can you please confirm if this will works with my car?
Thank you.

Just to close the loop on this thread, I would suggest that anybody considering installing a CarPlay module look for a next-generation unit.

I don't know if Joyeauto will supply one eventually but there appear to be couple different companies offering what appear to be similar, if not identical units. FWIW, I purchased a unit from Road Top (via aliexpress) as the identical unit from Road Top on amazon.com was more expensive. (It looks like the prices are much closer now. YMMV)

I wanted to try it out in the wife's GL and the installation instructions are essentially identical except for fewer required connections.

• Longer, and simplified, wire harness so it's easier to place bundle behind Comand unit
  • No need to wire mic or AUX cables, but you still may need to enable AUX in the Comand engineering mode
  • Unit automatically switches CarPlay to dark mode instead of on a fixed schedule
  • Less expensive
Disadvantages:
  • Road Top does not have a website that I know of, so support may be a consideration, including future firmware updates. That said, this new unit is FAR more refined and polished as it is.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:27 PM

2014 S212 E63 AMG
Can any of you who've installed one of these boxes comment on how responsive it is, particularly on vehicle startup? I presume that you need to hold the C button down to switch into CarPlay mode from the COMAND screen every time you start the car - does the phone automatically connect once initially paired? The reason I ask is I am debating between one of these boxes are going with one of the Android units that have a larger 10.25'' screen, but it appears that in order to launch CarPlay once you start the car, you have to hit a few different buttons on the touchscreen and then wait a few seconds for CarPlay to load. While the bigger screen would definitely be nice, I just want CarPlay, and want to be able to get in my car and go without having to click through a bunch of menus or wait for CarPlay to load on the Android system.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 E350 4Matic
I have the older JoyeAuto and it automatically flips to CarPlay after a few seconds' delay when I start the car.

I'm a bit concerned with how you are mixing 'Android' and 'CarPlay' though. CarPlay is purely Apple/iOS, not Android. There's been a lot less discussion about Android Auto with these units.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:12 PM

2014 S212 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by LeadfootMcKrakn
I have the older JoyeAuto and it automatically flips to CarPlay after a few seconds' delay when I start the car.

I'm a bit concerned with how you are mixing 'Android' and 'CarPlay' though. CarPlay is purely Apple/iOS, not Android. There's been a lot less discussion about Android Auto with these units.
Ah, sorry about that - I was referring to the Android units discussed in this thread (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...talled-49.html) which have CarPlay built in.

Sounds like these things are pretty responsive and snappy.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:36 PM

2015 E350 4Matic
They are snappy, with one exception that I've found: They can get a bit befuddled if you leave the car for a short period of time. This is because there is still power to the unit up to five minutes(!) after you shut off the car. So say you run into a shop for less than 5 minutes and then come back out...you carried the phone far enough to lose connection - you'll have to reboot the unit to get it to work right after that unless you shut it off for longer than 5 minutes.

Also I still occasionally have the issue with it where the COMAND knob won't advance more than a single 'place' in the interface. Usually all it takes to fix that is to flip back to the MB interface and back again. It's rare - it's possible more recent firmware fixes it but it's good enough for me so I haven't bothered.

Other than those two issues, which are pretty minor, it works fantastically.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:05 PM

2014 S212 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by LeadfootMcKrakn
They are snappy, with one exception that I've found: They can get a bit befuddled if you leave the car for a short period of time. This is because there is still power to the unit up to five minutes(!) after you shut off the car. So say you run into a shop for less than 5 minutes and then come back out...you carried the phone far enough to lose connection - you'll have to reboot the unit to get it to work right after that unless you shut it off for longer than 5 minutes.

Also I still occasionally have the issue with it where the COMAND knob won't advance more than a single 'place' in the interface. Usually all it takes to fix that is to flip back to the MB interface and back again. It's rare - it's possible more recent firmware fixes it but it's good enough for me so I haven't bothered.

Other than those two issues, which are pretty minor, it works fantastically.
Thanks for the detailed reply! How do you reboot the unit if it's installed inside your glovebox/dashboard?
Old 07-10-2020, 06:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E550
I tried to do some updates today and when I lowered the footwell panel I accidentally pulled the wires out of the AC sensor. I think the part is B10/36. Pics attached. Does anyone know which wire goes where, so I can put them back in? Or have a diagram? There are two wires but three receptacles in the sensor. If it's a resistive sensor maybe it doesn't matter where they are plugged in. Thank you. (2014 E550 W212)

AC sensors

wires that were pulled out. Which one goes where?
Old 07-11-2020, 02:44 AM

W204 2012
Originally Posted by shapiros
Can any of you who've installed one of these boxes comment on how responsive it is, particularly on vehicle startup? I presume that you need to hold the C button down to switch into CarPlay mode from the COMAND screen every time you start the car - does the phone automatically connect once initially paired? The reason I ask is I am debating between one of these boxes are going with one of the Android units that have a larger 10.25'' screen, but it appears that in order to launch CarPlay once you start the car, you have to hit a few different buttons on the touchscreen and then wait a few seconds for CarPlay to load. While the bigger screen would definitely be nice, I just want CarPlay, and want to be able to get in my car and go without having to click through a bunch of menus or wait for CarPlay to load on the Android system.
I have recently installed one of the Road Top units in my 2012 Face lift W204. 90% of the time I get in the car with iPhone in my pocket and it loads up without doing anything. The other 10% I have to press the C or back button for 3 seconds then it loads up.
The sight issues I have are 90% of the time it loads in night mode and can not change it to day mode. And when you use the left steering wheel controls it moves the CarPlay menu. Also if you want to use the car radio you lose the sound from CarPlay as it needs to be on aux to get the sound. I use a radio app which is ok as long as you have cellular connection. Hope this helps.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ian Molyneux
...it loads in night mode and can not change it to day mode.
FWIW, I have not experienced this with the Road Top unit, but I had it happen recently for the first time with the Joyeauto unit. Tried rebooting the Joyeauto unit and same result occurred, but a force reboot of my iPhone fixed the issue and it has not occurred since.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:03 PM

2015 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by shapiros
Thanks for the detailed reply! How do you reboot the unit if it's installed inside your glovebox/dashboard?
The unit has its own menu that is accessible even if CarPlay is not active. There is a reboot option from there.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,007 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320

• Less expensive
Disadvantages:
Are there NTG 4.0 units?
Old 07-13-2020, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
Are there NTG 4.0 units?
Don't think so. FWIW, check out the group buy thread for NTG 4.0 units if you have not seen it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-retrofit.html
Old 07-13-2020, 12:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2011 C63 P31 2015 BMW X5M Schwarz Einhorn w/Bootmod3
Don't think so. FWIW, check out the group buy thread for NTG 4.0 units if you have not seen it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-retrofit.html
Thanks for the mention! Q: Do you have a reliable source for ISPBOOOT.BIN and MCU upgrade.bin files?
Old 07-13-2020, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by deeoh
Thanks for the mention! Q: Do you have a reliable source for ISPBOOOT.BIN and MCU upgrade.bin files?
Only for the Joyeauto unit. (password: joyedow) FWIW, Joyeauto has never updated the MCU software for my NTG4.7 unit in the W212. When I asked them about it they confirmed that v0.1 was current.

I'd say that's one and of the biggest negatives of the next-gen units at this point. At the same time, I'd also say the current production software is very solid compared to the evolution that the Joyeauto units went through.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 07-13-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:29 PM

Thanks! Over on Bimmerpost, it's become a repository of constantly, almost daily upgraded files. Even custom software file written by the members/owners. I'm curious if these files would work on the MB units? Hmm...
Old 07-13-2020, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by deeoh
Thanks! Over on Bimmerpost, it's become a repository of constantly, almost daily upgraded files. Even custom software file written by the members/owners. I'm curious if these files would work on the MB units? Hmm...
Good question. That could get sporty quickly considering the external interfaces between the two.

FWIW, here's what shipped on the Road Top unit:

Old 07-13-2020, 12:48 PM

Good question. That could get sporty quickly considering the external interfaces between the two.

FWIW, here's what shipped on the Road Top unit:

Interesting! For example, on the BMW units, the latest updates for the Road Top unit are:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7