Dealer navigation update price

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 01:23 PM
fc3

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 E400 Sedan, 2018 E400 Cabriolet
Dealer navigation update price

Sadie is at the dealership for some work. The parking brake won't release easily in cold, less than 30ºF, weather and there is a recall, about 2 weeks old, regarding steering rack bolts. I asked the service writer about enabling CarPlay and he said: no way. Oh well. I also asked about an update to the navigation system. The installed map is from 2015 and hasn't been updated since Sadie was built.

Let's just say that the navigation update cost breezes right past non-trivial and goes into Oh My Goodness! territory. Service quoted a half hour to do the update, which is about $95. Okay. Steep, but it's a Mercedes and Lincoln wasn't much cheaper. I was prepared and expecting to pay $350-400. The parts department said that the update is an SD Card which contains not only the map update, to the 2018 database, but also code updates for COMAND. The price for the update on the SD-Card was $695! Add tax, labor, etc. to arrive at around $800 and that there was no way that he would do the update or recommend doing the update. He's going to look further into the update, but for now, Sadie will continue with her 2015 map database.

Obviously, I am not going to order a third-party map database update because there is no way for me to validate the that the code does not contain embedded malware. Too many years involved in IT security for me to go against my training and instincts.

Anyone else have a similar experience with a 2016 E?

Last edited by fc3; 12-27-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,192 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Navi updates get discussed often around here. I use my phone with the Waze app. Phone app maps are always updated and provide accurate traffic info, locations of stalled vehicles, cops, and reroutes due to construction. In car Navi systems are so obsolete and to pay $300-$900 for an update is dumb. Go buy a new iPhone for that cost.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:58 PM

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 S212 E400 RENNTech 345 whp/360 wtq
I've experienced the same parking brake issue, locking on when cold outside. Need to grab the pedal with my hands and force it to release. Have included it in my niggles list for the last two service appointments and they stated that the assembly was "lubed", but it still happens. Will escalate to the service manager for next visit. Would appreciate hearing what anyone has heard may be the cause or remedy?

Re Maps update, even my service agent agrees it's better to go with Google Maps. MB has joined with others in adopting a strategy of subscription services as new income stream. Makes one shudder to think how many owners blindly accept being gouged for upgrades that are outdated almost immediately. Thankfully other technologies will remedy their roadblocks.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:58 PM
fc3

I agree that using my iPhone is usually as good and quite often better than using the MB system. However, can't beat having the display in a convenient place. A few summers ago, we spent a few weeks in July "enjoying" a 1950s winter in the Adirondacks, a "destination wedding." Besides warm days being rare, being decades away from civilization, cell service was also rare. I relied very heavily on my Lincoln MKX's navigation system. Sometimes you just need nav that can work entirely disconnected.

Two service writers both believe that the parking brake pedal assembly requires replacement. I wrote a very specific symptom description. I also documented that the time required for the pedal to release increased as the temperature got lower and that once the temperature fell below freezing, that it was necessary to pull the pedal to the released position. I'll let you know what they say regarding the repair. My dealer has been great regarding service.
The following users liked this post:
need2speed (12-29-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 04:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 E-350
I bought a 2016 E350 CPO and upon driving it off the lot, it was doing the same thing with the parking brake. The dealer actually replaced something and now it works fine. Wonder if it's a common issue on these cars?
Old 12-27-2019, 05:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 E350 Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by fc3
I asked the service writer about enabling CarPlay and he said: no way.
Since you have a MY 2016 W212, you can update it to Android Auto/Apple CarPlay with minimal dealer involvement (update COMAND firmware to HIGH_CY15_9) and a software update via OBDII by you. See this thread: Android Auto in 2016 W212. The details of my experience doing it for Apple CarPlay is in post # 138.

- Longroof

Last edited by Longroof; 12-27-2019 at 05:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tom_W (01-02-2020)
Old 12-28-2019, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,174 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
While your service writer sounds like a nice guy, it just sounds like gouging by the dealership. You could probably find it from some vendor online for much cheaper and you can skip the whole installing bit. I think you basically need the pin code to install it. But as others said, it's pretty pointless when all the navigation you need is in your phone. Also with google maps, you can just download an area to your phone via wifi and it actually doesn't take that much space to download a large area. Then it will work even when there's no service, but of course it won't have traffic data. But it will still be more up to date than your car gps. The only thing better about the car navigation is the larger display. Which is why you really need Apple Carplay/Android auto.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:44 PM
fc3

Originally Posted by nightspd
I bought a 2016 E350 CPO and upon driving it off the lot, it was doing the same thing with the parking brake. The dealer actually replaced something and now it works fine. Wonder if it's a common issue on these cars?
They say they fixed it. I scanned and OCRed the repair invoice:

"CLIENT STATES PARKING BRAKE VERY SLOW TO RELEASE WHEN COLD LIGHT STAYS ON IN CLUSTER

"CAUSE: STICKING
"496900 REPLACE HEAT SHIELD OF EXHAUST SYSTEM

"421300 PARKING BRAKE ADJUST
"PARKING BRAKE IS OUT OF ADJUSTMENT Function tested parking brakes

"Found pedal returns slowly does not reach full retracted position, R&R heat shields near drive shaft for access to parking brake cables & connections. Checked all parking brake cables for damage & ease of movement. All cables are OK. R&R left & right rear wheels. Checked parking brake shoe adjustment. Found parking brake shoes are loose. Adjusted parking brake. Re-test. Pedal now operated correctly."

Of course, it's 48ºF today and it's supposed to be warm for the next few days, so I won't know for a while if that resolves the problem.

Originally Posted by Longroof
Since you have a MY 2016 W212, you can update it to Android Auto/Apple CarPlay with minimal dealer involvement (update COMAND firmware to HIGH_CY15_9) and a software update via OBDII by you. See this thread: Android Auto in 2016 W212. The details of my experience doing it for Apple CarPlay is in post # 138.

- Longroof
I saw that. I'm a very conservative IT/IT security type, so I want to know what the programmer is doing before I plug an unknown into my OBD-II port. Too many rogue programmers today.

Originally Posted by cetialpha5
While your service writer sounds like a nice guy, it just sounds like gouging by the dealership. You could probably find it from some vendor online for much cheaper and you can skip the whole installing bit. I think you basically need the pin code to install it. But as others said, it's pretty pointless when all the navigation you need is in your phone. Also with google maps, you can just download an area to your phone via wifi and it actually doesn't take that much space to download a large area. Then it will work even when there's no service, but of course it won't have traffic data. But it will still be more up to date than your car gps. The only thing better about the car navigation is the larger display. Which is why you really need Apple Carplay/Android auto.
I don't think the parts department has that much latitude in setting prices. And if the dealership's policy is to charge excessively, then the service writer would have been selling it rather than saying the price was crazy. He did say that the update on the SD-Card was both database and code updates. Again, I'm disinclined to load code from unknown third-parties into the system.

I'm going to look into what it takes to enable CarPlay, but I'm not inclined to simply plug in a mystery cartridge and hope for the best.

Thank you all for your feedback! It's always a learning experience.

Last edited by fc3; 12-28-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,393 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by fc3
I don't think the parts department has that much latitude in setting prices. And if the dealership's policy is to charge excessively, .
Which stealership?
When I was living in San Francisco area, I had 6 or more dealerships within 1 hr drive, so I used to call around for parts quotes, or service like wheel alignment.
They had quite different markups and 1 of dealers had salesperson in the office, who would answer the phone and negotiate the prices when you had bigger order (I always presented myself as business owner)
Than when it comes to counter person- I am always given 10% discounts - just for asking nicely.
Typical sample - chrome key was quoted up to $450 by some dealers, when suburban dealer sold it to me for $162 (before tax)
Other- the mentioned office salesman sold me MB coolant at local dealership cheaper than autohousaz.

Last edited by kajtek1; 12-29-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:27 PM
fc3

Originally Posted by kajtek1
Which stealership?
When I was living in San Francisco area, I had 6 or more dealerships within 1 hr drive, so I used to call around for parts quotes, or service like wheel alignment.
They had quite different markups and 1 of dealers had salesperson in the office, who would answer the phone and negotiate the prices when you had bigger order (I always presented myself as business owner)
Than when it comes to counter person- I am always given 10% discounts - just for asking nicely.
Typical sample - chrome key was quoted up to $450 by some dealers, when suburban dealer sold it to me for $162 (before tax)
Other- the mentioned office salesman sold me MB coolant at local dealership cheaper than autohousaz.
Well.... live and learn. I rarely saw differences between dealers previously, but those were not Mercedes dealers. Good information that they're not all similar.

Understand about the counter discount. I also can usually talk my way into something off the regular price.

If the weather isn't too bad, tomorrow, I'll drift into the dealer for a wash and check to see if the service writer found any other information about the map update.

Thank you for your response!
Old 01-05-2020, 04:46 PM

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
Originally Posted by need2speed
I've experienced the same parking brake issue, locking on when cold outside. Need to grab the pedal with my hands and force it to release. Have included it in my niggles list for the last two service appointments and they stated that the assembly was "lubed", but it still happens. Will escalate to the service manager for next visit. Would appreciate hearing what anyone has heard may be the cause or remedy?

Re Maps update, even my service agent agrees it's better to go with Google Maps. MB has joined with others in adopting a strategy of subscription services as new income stream. Makes one shudder to think how many owners blindly accept being gouged for upgrades that are outdated almost immediately. Thankfully other technologies will remedy their roadblocks.
I had the issue with the parking brake. They first lubed it, but that was not a great fix. They next replaced the assembly. I wasn't charged for that