Logic 7 Troubleshoot Consult Please?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
‘12 W212 E550
Logic 7 Troubleshoot Consult Please?

Hi folks,

Could I seek some expertise to verify my logic against please?

Logic 7 system on this 2012 E550, bass is lacking, and sub is not vibrating at all. Surround is off, and when I move the balance around Front to Rear, Left to Right, L front tweet is ok, but R front tweet does not output sound. Surround on/off, same. When I raise volume up, R front tweet comes to life and continues to output even as I reduce my volume. Then it stops outputting once I turn off the car and try again. Other door speakers, front and back, are fine.

Meanwhile, in all this, the rear deck does not appear to output any bass sound, only mid/high, regardless of sound level.

So - to isolate, I attached OEM replacement amps (main + subwoofer), both of them, and reset the audio system. Same behavior. No change.

Fuses 67 + 69 are fine (100% continuity when tested via Fluke MM).

A full set of OEM replacement speakers are on the way so I can test/replace speakers as needed for my next step, but while they travel, is there any other component I should test/replace in the chain while I wait, that could cause the behaviors above? C5 scan module is on the way, so unable to check for DTCs just yet.

My objective is to get the OEM system fully functional so I can hear and gauge for myself whether an aftermarket sub upgrade is needed.

p.s.
Subjectively, my reference of "good" is a 2006 E90 BMW with a Logic 7 system, and the stock setup with 2 underseat subwoofers are satisfactory for me. I really would just like to hear for myself how close the W212 OEM Logic 7 system can get to that.

Thank you folks! Just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

-sg-

Last edited by Servantguy; 09-11-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Servantguy
So - to isolate, I attached OEM replacement amps (main + subwoofer), both of them, and reset the audio system.
"Attached"? Re-attached. "Reset"? Using MB diagnostics, and if so, were all fault codes cleared. Awaiting your reply, my "suggestion" replace amp (search part # 2129007108) any problems thereafter, if amp is purchased used clear all codes, transfer data from original to replacement amp, and confirm software is current using MB diagnostics.

Last edited by konigstiger; 09-12-2020 at 09:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (09-13-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 07:05 PM

‘12 W212 E550
Originally Posted by konigstiger
"Attached"? Re-attahed. "Reset"? Using MB diagnostics, and if so, were all fault codes cleared. Awaiting your reply, my "suggestion" replace amp (search part # 2129007108) any problems thereafter, if amp is purchased used clear all codes, transfer data from original to replacement amp, and confirm software is current using MB diagnostics.
Thank you! I'll let you know what the scan reveals. To clarify "attached", I meant I replaced parts 212 900 71 08 and 211 870 51 89 with used ones, and unplugged fuses 67 and 69 to "reset" the audio system.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:11 AM

‘12 W212 E550
Originally Posted by Servantguy
Thank you! I'll let you know what the scan reveals. To clarify "attached", I meant I replaced parts 212 900 71 08 and 211 870 51 89 with used ones, and unplugged fuses 67 and 69 to "reset" the audio system.
Closing the loop here: it turned out to be a bad sub:

nasty

dead

replacement

Good as new.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:16 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2014 e250 bluetec
I have the same problem with my LF speakers. No sound at times unless I raise the volume. Was your issue solved with replacing those speakers as well? I'm already on my third amp but my issue keeps occurring sporadically, haven't replaced the speakers or wiring yet.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,123 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
It's disappointing to see where this subwoofer failed. Given the decades upon decades of speaker development, one might think that these weak areas were perfected long ago. Bad design, me thinks.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:08 AM

‘12 W212 E550
Originally Posted by drdantheman1
I have the same problem with my LF speakers. No sound at times unless I raise the volume. Was your issue solved with replacing those speakers as well? I'm already on my third amp but my issue keeps occurring sporadically, haven't replaced the speakers or wiring yet.
Hi - this is the intermittent bit. Right now the original RF tweeter is behaving properly after visually inspecting it and reseating its triangular mount upon the door. I hope it continues, but I did get a full replacement L7 speaker set so am able to replace the rest as they/if they go. It made sense $ wise when I was shopping for a sub - the speaker set was not much more.

One note: I reverted back to the old amps - both of them.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:21 AM

‘12 W212 E550
Originally Posted by DFWdude
It's disappointing to see where this subwoofer failed. Given the decades upon decades of speaker development, one might think that these weak areas were perfected long ago. Bad design, me thinks.
I have thoughts along those lines as well - I was expecting some dramatic evidence of user error or physical trauma on the sub (e.g. puncture marks, cuts or rips, etc) but no.

Then again, I'm sure on some level some compromise needed to be made between durability vs the ability to fit that custom sub in there and make use of "cutting edge materials" when these came out in 2012.

But - so glad I actually hear low end now! I don't need much, but there is a significant difference with vs without the sub.

Next up: getting that 10.25 in screen plus head unit upgrade in. Gotta keep busy!