DIY: Kremersino Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.0

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 05:29 PM

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
W222 S550e, C207 E550, W212 E350
Originally Posted by aibkaresz
Thank you!

Well pros and cons: I did not really experience any cons apart the reverse camera glitch, but if I'm in reverse I don't watch the screen anyway. It would be nice to have a "no reverse camera" setting though, I don't think that this is a big update.
The box functions as it should, connection is fast, sometimes I have to wait a couple of seconds but it's really not an issue imho. Sound quality is great, phone battery life is better than expected and it's nice that it changes dark-light themes with the headlights.

EDIT: just found out main screen is called Dashboard by Apple, so change the words accordingly in the followings.

One con I can think of is I think a Carplay or Waze issue: I noticed that if I use Apple Maps or Google Maps the last used will be on the main screen (in my understanding the main screen is where half of the screen if the map, right top corner is the guidance and right low corner is the music). I use Waze and Google Maps mixed, Waze for longer trips and Google when I'm riding in town. When I set up a destination in Waze I have to manually enter the app via Carplay to have navigation and after that it does not become the default on the main screen. Google Maps on the other hand starts automatically when starting a navigation on the phone and sets itself as default on the main screen. It also might be nice to have the traffic on the main screen with Google Maps, did not find how to do it yet (when I'm not using any navigation just the raw map screen for it to show how long is the traffic jam in front of me etc.)

Any pros and cons on your side guys?

Have you noticed the volume issues I was facing while playing music and opening Waze/Apple maps for the first time? If not, try it out. Close out all the apps on your phone, start your car and enter carplay, start playing music first, and open Waze. If the volume lowers, it makes everything else very loud and distorted when you turn the volume knob higher. I had to mute Waze and Apple maps for now until I figure this out.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
'10 W204 C300
Originally Posted by S550e
Have you noticed the volume issues I was facing while playing music and opening Waze/Apple maps for the first time? If not, try it out. Close out all the apps on your phone, start your car and enter carplay, start playing music first, and open Waze. If the volume lowers, it makes everything else very loud and distorted when you turn the volume knob higher. I had to mute Waze and Apple maps for now until I figure this out.
Normally I use all of them muted, but made a quick test for you. I closed all my apps on the phone, then started the car as you said. Started playing music from Spotify and opened Waze on Carplay and entered a destination, all controlled with the knob, did not even pull my phone out of my pocket. The music played normally, when there was a guidance it lowered the music volume and after that put the music back on normal volume, everything was as it should be.

Running 14.0.1, Waze 4.67.1.0, phone set to loud and max volume

I am quite puzzled about the reason of your issue
Old 10-23-2020, 12:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
E-350 Cabriolet
I need some help here. I purchase the unit too for my 2011 E-350 NTG4.0. But I had the unit installed by a local company that does installs. Cost was about $215.00. However, nothing on the new unit comes on. I’ve tried going to Radio-Aux and that part works. Long press hang-up on steering wheel, but nothing changes. When I tried the hu button-#-1 to access main menu, it freezes upon opening it up.

I was going to recheck wiring in glovebox area. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:02 PM

'10 W204 C300
Originally Posted by MB V
I need some help here. I purchase the unit too for my 2011 E-350 NTG4.0. But I had the unit installed by a local company that does installs. Cost was about $215.00. However, nothing on the new unit comes on. I’ve tried going to Radio-Aux and that part works. Long press hang-up on steering wheel, but nothing changes. When I tried the hu button-#-1 to access main menu, it freezes upon opening it up.

I was going to recheck wiring in glovebox area. Any help is greatly appreciated.
You mean absolutely nothing happens when pressing the buttons? For us the LLLHL dip switch change solved the initial black screen. If it's not the black screen maybe the LVDS cables are not plugged in correctly, that's what I can think of at first reading.

Last edited by aibkaresz; 10-23-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:17 PM

E-350 Cabriolet
I can get to Audio-Aux, But nothing after that. The long press doesn’t change anything. As if nothing is installed.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:09 PM

E-350 Cabriolet
Issues not working

Need some advice please. The unit has been installed but when going to Audio-Aux then the long press hang up, nothing happens. I can check the small head unit and all seems OK. Dips were on LLLHH and then I tried LLLHL but still nothing.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:13 PM

'10 W204 C300
Need some advice please. The unit has been installed but when going to Audio-Aux then the long press hang up, nothing happens. I can check the small head unit and all seems OK. Dips were on LLLHH and then I tried LLLHL but still nothing.
Well in this case what I can think of is the LVDS cables at the back of the head unit is not plugged in correctly. I would go back to the shop to check them according to the video provided by Kremersino. If those are correct it can be a Kremersino issue also. It's strange that nothing happens, sounds like the box does not receive any input.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:18 PM

E-350 Cabriolet
Hmmmm

Just what I didn’t want to do. Have them reopen the car up. I have access to this box, but that looks good.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:19 PM

'10 W204 C300
Just what I didn’t want to do. Have them reopen the car up. I have access to this box, but that looks good.
Yeah but the LVDS box is behind the main head unit. Maybe someone else has any other ideas here what could help.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:26 PM

E-350 Cabriolet
Ok

I found a surprise. While tracing back the LTVD (?) cord from the smaller unit, it just either came unplugged or never was plugged into the main unit behind the dash.
Guess I will be visiting with them again.
Day-um.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:30 PM

'10 W204 C300
I found a surprise. While tracing back the LTVD (?) cord from the smaller unit, it just either came unplugged or never was plugged into the main unit behind the dash.
Guess I will be visiting with them again.
Day-um.
Yepp something wasn't plugged in correctly that's my guess, the LVDS cable is the thick black one plugged in to the middle of the box, it goes to a smaller grey box, it has 2 sides, Kremersino box -> LVDS box and the original LVDS cable plugged in on one side, and on the other side there is the LVDS box to the original head unit cable, should be like that. If you have access to the smaller box you can check it, if not, the head unit probably has to be pulled out again.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:32 PM

E-350 Cabriolet
Well that’s not the cable then. This is the smaller of the three. Either way, looks like a battle coming up on the install.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:34 PM

'10 W204 C300
Well that’s not the cable then. This is the smaller of the three. Either way, looks like a battle coming up on the install.
Yeah make them check again if everything is wired correctly, I seriously doubt it though. As I remember from the install the LVDS cables needed a hard push to go in correctly.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:36 PM

E-350 Cabriolet
Stand by...I’ll report back with answers. There’s no way that cable was in right or at all.
Old 11-03-2020, 04:03 PM

E-350 Cabriolet
Carplay NTG4.0 works and looks awesome.

Hi All,

I had the Kremesino Wirelass Carplay installed in my 2011 E-350 cabriolet. The NTG 4.0 version cost about $235 from AliExpress. Which took about 4 weeks before arriving. A local installer charged me another $200. They installed the mic behind the mirror and a usb in the glovebox as I asked. They made one mistake. The initial LDVS wasn’t pushed in hard enough to lock it in place, so they had to remove the glovebox and snap it back into place.

Attached is the video from a previous post if you’re not getting any audio. I transcribed it for easier connecting as it’s a bit tricky to follow along. Here it is below.

"Open audio aux

Debug original car audio aux before installing carplay (I didn’t do this as I missed it, didn’t seem to matter)

Install after the original sound is working.

Query the audio aux method

Press 1-#-hang up keys simultaneously to enter engineering mode.

Click to enter "7. HW Setting."

7.7 HU Parameter

Audio Aux may be grayscale and unselectable. (Mine wasn’t grayscale and selectable)

Open Audio Aux Mode

Click 7. HW Setting

7.5 TGW Parameter

Set "Most" to Off

7.7 HU Parameter again

Audio Aux is now optional

Set audio Aux to "on."

Return to 7.5 TGW Parameter and reset Most to "on."

Set audio source to External Amp

After setting is completed, return to the home page and turn to the second page, click End to

exit the engineering page. Page 2/2.

Click on Audio and you’ll see aux.

Note: after the setting is completed, the vehicle should sleep for 15 minutes. After the original car sounds normal install carplay. (Not sure what this means. I assumed because of its location on the screen it meant AFTER installing and changing the settings.)"

Make certain screen is on MUTE to hear driving audio. I’ll attach a photo of mine. Also a before and after photo. In order to switch between radio/sat/stations, I can either use the long press hang-up and switch between OS or use controls on steering wheel, which I find easy enough.

Enjoy, I love it. Great upgrade.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this. It works awesome. Especially Tom aka S550e.
The following 3 users liked this post by MB V:
aibkaresz (11-05-2020), Autowelding (04-01-2021), S550e (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 02:51 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
2009 W221
subscribe
Old 11-04-2020, 09:54 PM

Looks great, @MB V , thanks for staying patient and troubleshooting with me. I'd say it was definitely worth it in the end!

Happy driving
Old 12-09-2020, 12:42 AM

New issue today -

Drove the car twice today and both times, the music audio was playing from my cellphone speakers... Everything connected like normal, and I could scroll through all of the CarPlay interface and Spotify. As I hit play, the music was coming from my phone speakers. Very odd and has never happened before.

I started off troubleshooting by going on my phone and trying to change the audio output source from iPhone to CarPlay... no luck.

Then, I restarted the Kremersino machine by going into factory mode (688612) and hitting reboot. I reconnected and sound was still coming out of the iPhone speakers. (Wireless mode, Wired mode still works)

I have been using a new phone, iPhone 12 Pro Max on iOS 14.2.1, but it has been working flawless for weeks.

Any tips? Anyone else experience this? Going to see if it will happen tomorrow. Since this is a wireless only problem, I think my next plan is to forget the bluetooth connection and reconnect my phone to the box.

No issue... Resolved. One time accident, never happened again. I believe is was user error.

Last edited by S550e; 01-12-2021 at 01:50 AM. Reason: User error. No real issue.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:51 PM

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic sedan
[QUOTE=MB V;8194426]Hi All,

I had the Kremesino Wirelass Carplay installed in my 2011 E-350 cabriolet. The NTG 4.0 version cost about $235 from AliExpress. Which took about 4 weeks before arriving. A local installer charged me another $200. They installed the mic behind the mirror and a usb in the glovebox as I asked. They made one mistake. The initial LDVS wasn’t pushed in hard enough to lock it in place, so they had to remove the glovebox and snap it back into place.

Attached is the video from a previous post if you’re not getting any audio. I transcribed it for easier connecting as it’s a bit tricky to follow along. Here it is below.

"Open audio aux

Debug original car audio aux before installing carplay (I didn’t do this as I missed it, didn’t seem to matter)

Install after the original sound is working.

Query the audio aux method

Press 1-#-hang up keys simultaneously to enter engineering mode.

Click to enter "7. HW Setting."

7.7 HU Parameter

Audio Aux may be grayscale and unselectable. (Mine wasn’t grayscale and selectable)

Open Audio Aux Mode

Click 7. HW Setting

7.5 TGW Parameter

Set "Most" to Off

7.7 HU Parameter again

Audio Aux is now optional

Set audio Aux to "on."

Return to 7.5 TGW Parameter and reset Most to "on."

Set audio source to External Amp

After setting is completed, return to the home page and turn to the second page, click End to

exit the engineering page. Page 2/2.

Click on Audio and you’ll see aux.

Note: after the setting is completed, the vehicle should sleep for 15 minutes. After the original car sounds normal install carplay. (Not sure what this means. I assumed because of its location on the screen it meant AFTER installing and changing the settings.)"

Make certain screen is on MUTE to hear driving audio. I’ll attach a photo of mine. Also a before and after photo. In order to switch between radio/sat/stations, I can either use the long press hang-up and switch between OS or use controls on steering wheel, which I find easy enough.

Enjoy, I love it. Great upgrade.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this. It works awesome. Especially Tom aka S550e.[/QUOTE

Last edited by pb39374; 12-27-2020 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2010 E550
Thanks to this thread, I ordered one and got it installed today. The firmware version is 11/18/2020, despite them saying they haven't released any new updates for this model (I noticed there are separate settings for music and navigation audio, a complaint someone had posted about earlier. I'm not sure if that was in previous versions of the firmware). That's frustrating as far as future support goes. The hardest part of the install was getting the side panel off on the right side of the glove compartment. My clips were cemented in place! The second hardest thing was getting the head unit back in place. Like another poster here, I hope I'm not crushing the wires!

Once it was installed I spent awhile trying to figure out the audio situation. At first I had none. While aux was set to off and grayed out in the engineering menu it shows up as one of the audio options. Turns out the issue was that my iPod was connected. If I used the 3.5mm audio plug and connect it to the 3.5mm jack on my iPod MMI connector I get audio as long as my iPod is disconnected. I was actually hoping to be able to keep my iPod connected, but it looks like that won't be possible. I went back in the engineering settings, did the work around for enabling the grayed out aux, and now the unit works without using the 3.5mm jack, though now the MMI is disabled. I'll probably leave it like this for now. Looks like I have to recreate my playlists on my phone.

At first I hooked up the microphone to enable Siri, but it didn't seem to work any better than just using the microphone on the phone (or watch). I don't see any settings for enabling or disabling the external microphone, so I'm not 100% sure it was even working in the first place. In the end I didn't leave it installed.

My main reason for getting this was to have Waze front and center, so I'm happy with the unit. It would be nice if the main screen (Car Play) allowed Waze to be in one part of the screen and my music in another, but I'm guessing Apple wants to force people into using Apple Maps. I'll test it with an Android phone tomorrow to see how it works with Android Auto.

The following users liked this post:
S550e (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by markgm
Thanks to this thread, I ordered one and got it installed today. The firmware version is 11/18/2020, despite them saying they haven't released any new updates for this model (I noticed there are separate settings for music and navigation audio, a complaint someone had posted about earlier. I'm not sure if that was in previous versions of the firmware). That's frustrating as far as future support goes. The hardest part of the install was getting the side panel off on the right side of the glove compartment. My clips were cemented in place! The second hardest thing was getting the head unit back in place. Like another poster here, I hope I'm not crushing the wires!
Hello @markgm !! Thank you for sharing! I am glad that you found this thread helpful. Would you mind sharing a picture of that separate audio setting? I would like to see that and possibly try to figure out how to update my box without bricking the whole system.

My main reason for getting this was to have Waze front and center, so I'm happy with the unit. It would be nice if the main screen (Car Play) allowed Waze to be in one part of the screen and my music in another, but I'm guessing Apple wants to force people into using Apple Maps. I'll test it with an Android phone tomorrow to see how it works with Android Auto.
I use waze as well but I think you are right. Apple wants only their Maps app to be on that nice home screen.

Glad you got everything working smoothly! We are starting to get a great group of enthusiasts who have decided to tackle this project.

@deeoh , @aibkaresz ... You guys think it is time to start figuring out how to update our boxes? I really want that separate audio control if it will fix the issues I was having with Apple Maps and Waze. For now, I have been using them both on silent mode and occasionally miss my turn or something. Maybe I should contact Mike from Krem right now, so I can hope for a response by sometime in 2022! HA
Old 01-12-2021, 04:55 AM

'10 W204 C300
Hey guys, of course we can start getting information slowly about an update and a how-to, I am also curious.

I'm not sure if @markgm meant the dashboard view of Waze (like this: https://kremersino.com/waze-can-use-...s-home-screen/), maybe I misunderstood, but for me it totally works, haven't seen Apple Maps for months now on the dashboard view. As I understand it uses the last used navigation app even if the app is not navigating you to an address, then it just shows the map. I was also waiting for Waze to support that, because it shows your GPS speed in the top left corner, which is pretty useful when approaching speed cameras The downside of the story is that Waze will keep itself using your location after exiting the car and the blue background appears on your phone around the clock, I've read somewhere that Waze will put itself to sleep after some time, I did not have the patience yet to wait for it and I always manually close Waze

Hope this helps!
Old 01-13-2021, 08:17 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2010 E550
Yep, I just noticed that the map on the main page goes to the last used map program. That's pretty handy. Speaking of putting itself to sleep, when I turn off the car I see my music is still playing, I assume because the box hasn't gone to sleep yet. It would be great if it paused the music as soon as I turned off the car. Twice now I've noticed that my phone is connecting to the car's Bluetooth and playing music there instead of to the Carplay Bluetooth. I'll have to see if I can find out what causes that.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Kremersino Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.0-dash-1.jpg   DIY: Kremersino Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.0-dash-2.jpg  
Old 01-30-2021, 08:00 PM

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts
458 speciale, G63, GTC4lusso, ML63(GONE),
Has anybody encountered joystick no response in carplay menu? (It’s fully working in factory menu) please let me know if any solutions to this. My car is a 2014 sls. Thanks
Old 02-17-2021, 12:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
w212 2010 E550 4Matic
Finally Installed!

Just installed on my 2010 E550 4matic with ngt 4 Took about 2 weeks to get the box in as I am in Canada. If you are purchasing search the sellers store because sometimes you can find them a bit cheaper just make sure it’s the right ngt even though it says another car model. Seller said you can do this just message him your car info to verify. I could have got mine 80$ cheaper. I wanna shout out Tommy (s550e) for all the help I couldn’t do it without you bro. Also shout out to all the other forums as I did a lot of research on those. The job took me about 6 hours lol I would dedicate a day to do this. Some of the struggles I had were taking off my vents It took a while to finally unhook the clips. The most time consuming part was getting the stock head unit back into place. The new harness is bulky and it seems impossible to get everything in there but I just re routed all the wires to the side there is some space in there. As for the mic I put it in my passenger side panel and it works really well with Siri and picks my voice up even if I’m talking quiet. I’m really surprised how well this box works. Barely any lag, can switch back and forth instantly between stock head unit and CarPlay. Love how I can screen mirror and drive at the same time. Sound is crisp!!! I have a 12” sub in my car, was using stock aux before and it sounds way better and louder. Best purchase by far! Makes the car seem like new. You can do this with no experience, with this post it was super helpful. There is also step by steps on YouTube as the sellers video wasn’t that good lol. Definitely a must have! Well see how long she lasts but judging by other posts they seem to be durable.
I used this video to help with taking off trim but the connections are different as it’s a different box so keep that in mind
The following 2 users liked this post by Joshua Tippinz:
aibkaresz (02-17-2021), S550e (02-17-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Kremersino Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.0