$3 fix for solderless modules...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 04:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,605 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!

While you are at it, can you read volts value of the fuel pressure sensor at idle and a fast few times to 3,000 rpm throttle blip please ?

You know Crunch low pressure fuel trouble code thread got me thinking, how does one scoped a 3 phase PMW signal to the pump when there is no common ground ?
I saw this :

Damn, I just realized why there is an unused ground wire output from N118 to the motor... hahaha, now it make sense why it is prepared there ....yipeeee.

The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 05:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,449 Likes on 2,298 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
schematic and more...

I think the unused GND wire run to tank is a provision for shielding and perhaps also to discharge any tank statics (TWA-800 Boeing-747 exploded in flight shortly after take off due to central fuel tank "static discharge"...).

The control-side sensor wires (level + pressure) run straight to R-SAM and not pump controller 🙂
That's a great reason to keep them EMI noise free so they don't spoil the well

The 20Amp controller feed line comes straight from R-SAM. That would be a good candidate to scope for overlapped noise.

The "W15/1" GND screw is located at "co-driver" footwell LHD and needs to be pristine to supply the noisy 20Amps load with GND return.

WIRING Questions to check upon...
I am trying to evaluate/minimize noise impact by limiting 10KHz crosstalk into CAN:

Q> Does the wiring harness for tank sensors and 5VRef. travel together side-by-side 3-Ft towards R-SAM with noisy 20Amp module power... a big no-no!

Q> Same for the 6-FT long GND wire that carries the 20Amp return supply. It should be shortened and physically distanced.

Q> The current 20Amp home-run is radiating RF noise like a 3-FT ANTENNA, that needs attention (filtering, dampening, separation)

✌️

(Post#1: Updated the module LIST)

++++++++++++++
SPIKES COUNTERMEASURES !!
As it turn out VFD PWM spikes harmonics are in the MHz RF spectrum. The issue is motor spikes pack a lot of power unlike little solenoid coils.

In addition to basic cabling separation, I am going to install ferrite EMI chokes on both controller feed and perhaps pump side too.

One of the industrial solution for VFD noise is to use short run of specialized power cables to connect the motor.

Let's figure what mix of solutions to deploy here against the causes of this troublesome noise. It seems a few poor decisions were made.

+++++++++
SORTED OUT SOLUTIONS:
Ringing noise harmonics is a sort of necessary evil that makes the PWM design work. They need to be delt with intelligently.
Practically motors bearings do NOT appreciate the energy of spikes to be blocked. The unwanted noise energy needs a path to flow towards GND.
Considering this I've decided to concentrate on noise containment within module. I am purposely NOT BLOCKING PHASES OR GND PATHS !

1. (Physical wiring separation). <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
2. (Short paths of GND, FEED side and LOAD side for minimal impedance). <<<<<<<<
3. Dampen FEED harmonics with ferrites <<<<<<<<<
4. Filtering DC Inputs with a symetrical choke !! <<<<<<<
5. (Ferrites near pump connector at tank side)
6. (VFD grade shielded cable for pump phases)

My goal is to minimize changes to improve this design. Industrial VFD controls and electric car motors seem to leave the motor wiring unfiltered...

+++++++++
Pressure Control : RPM vs. PWM

The gas low pressure delivery is precisely regulated by the pump speed. This is accomplished by varying the FREQUENCY of all 3-phases spaced by 120°.
Here the PWM modulation is only used to approximate a sinusoid voltage needed by the brushless motor. The pulse width is *NOT* used to control the speed such as with solenoid duty cycle.
Frequency is the sole RPM control.

The electrical noise and its RF harmonics come from the 3 pump windings acting as coils when supplied with square pulses (dv/dt) edges of PWM signal.
This reactive noise amounts to a significant dynamic balance of energy that can not be blocked or removed beneficially. The noise is a by-product of work.
When the controller charges the 3 pump coils with a switched electrical current, in reaction the coils output a voltage spike just like ignition coils. (capacitors work the opposite way: charge with voltage to return discharge current).

This cycle happens at the PWM carrier frequency or about 10KHz because the cycle time is also modulated by the RPM frequency to achieve target speed.

+++++++++
Hands on Session:
The FSCU on my "Autel DiagLink" scanner only exposes pressure, current, temperature and status flags.
There is no actuation menu available to run the pump on demand.
The ECU does not prime pressure with only ignition ON... guess it needs crank or run condition and a super-low pressure to call for FSCU to prime pressure back up. (My No-Prime issue was caused by a blown 25A fuse with depined wiring).
My garage has no venting so I can't scope the pump noise.
My resting pressure reads 4.5Bar ie. 65psi. So for the record: low pressure side seems to hold static pressure pretty good (in-line check valve?)

Fixing WIRING Harness :
Last time I separated the noisy pump lines from liw voltage float sensor line.

Now I've just realized the harness near the FSCU has everything bundled together: engine CAN with pump lines etc!

harmess loop crosstalking noise into engine CAN-C

Furthermore as shown in above picture, the pump line also get bundled tight with main car harness trunk over 3'' long segment inside plastic conduit.

To fix all that I need to de-pin the FSCU power connector so I can shuffle loose wires. I've already extracted the GND connector pin... royal PITA!

power lines: 3-phases, GND's, +12v

See this Porsche forum for depinning connectors like a boss...https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...po-tool-2.html
FYI: the dual tangs are a spring, don't make 'em flat for extraction - Try to shoe-horn pins out without flattening tangs.

While I have loose wires I am going to introduce Ferrite core and coil over my noisy lines.

I cracked my rear passenger threshold cover so the long GND line is going to remain for now so I don't get to crack my front door threshold! I keep this GND in mind.

NOTE correlation Acceleration vs. ALT OFF:
Until now voltage control was going OFF during any engine accelerations... this is extra bad with A/C and an exhausted battery.
I wonder if this is directly linked to pump control disrupting CAN ???
I'll test for that dangerous stall condition.

EXTRA CONVOLUTED ARCHITECTURE... LOL:
The low-pressure line sensor is directly tied to R-SAM. The FSCU only chats over CAN-C.

Hopefully R-SAM is able to message directly over CAN-C network... else it has to message F-SAM to message ECU to message FSCU with pressure sensor data. In this case network disruption may explain some related issues.
----

lookin at CAN packets

shape showing nominal distortion pump OFF
I could GND the FSCU control line for "Pump:ON" but then how long until it blows all its seals... not looking to create pump failure, just loose EMI noise.

Now back to depinning pump so I can test drive computer awesomeness. I need not to waste any pins featuring tripple lock: 2 metal tangs + 1 plastic tab.
✌️

+++++++
PRACTICALLY...
There is what I set myself to accomplish and there is what I can reasonably get done within the length of my cable tow... This is in relation to the pump power wiring, de-pining it, wrapping is in a coil for testing etc. I am not going to de-pin that stupid pump connector multiple times before the cheap'O pins are wasted. So I must think through this course ahead.

I am not impressed about the extra-long and 1/2 undersized pump phase wiring that should be both short and fat for low impedance. Short of saying it might meet my knife to insert a 1Ft shielded VFD cable.

choke school

good looking power choke

specialized toolset to the rescue

Got a set of depining tools to ease the impact on reliability.
Depining these connectors with a set of jewelry screwdrivers is like trying to fix your Benz with a plumber's wrench. It's best to use the right tools.

hand wrapped power supply choke

ALL wiring branches are kept separated.
Pump phase wiring is really 12" TOO LONG besides being undersized (impedance > more noise). It's beging to get shortening surgery.

75 % chance all of this will take care of the noise vs. float voltage issue. Let's see the differences are 👏

dirty connector

insider view of F-SAM tub entry I plugged with foam

Driver side footwell painted GND post.
That's the only one I could find around there. It's supposed to have a 2nd one... back of cluster display???

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 08-01-2021 at 06:37 PM. Reason: EMI noise solutions
The following 2 users liked this post by CaliBenzDriver:
juanmor40 (07-25-2021), S-Prihadi (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cold solder ..... INSTRUMENT CLUSTER PARTY !!!! Yeah.

You know, I am not suprised that Instrument Cluster going banana can take down quite a few other modules.
The way I see troublecode generated from pulling fuses at this post : https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-87m-50-a.html
.... is a real eye opener.

A CAN bus shorting is another nightmare......

Damn, modern cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by S-Prihadi:
CaliBenzDriver (08-09-2021), juanmor40 (08-10-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cali,
How come I did not catch your last post full glory ? Awesome my man...awesome for the Fuel Pump Controller Sherlock Holmes.
Did you update it a few days after posting ?

If only update on a post, do I get the notice by email like how when one reply a post I am subscribed to ?

Old 08-09-2021, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

focused

Originally Posted by S-Prihadi
Cali,
How come I did not catch your last post full glory ? Awesome my man...awesome for the Fuel Pump Controller Sherlock Holmes.
Did you update it a few days after posting ?

If only update on a post, do I get the notice by email like how when one reply a post I am subscribed to ?
Yes, I update original post with research about multiple angles of the same topic. I hate to make too much noise about my own interest.

I don't think the forum sends out emails regarding updates to a post, only additional posts to a thread.

I am focused on the light at the end of the tunnel... I am going to back-probe CAN-B,C,E signals to see any combination of signaling noise and bad GND disruptions (watch YT candy lower).

+++++++
Fault Tolerant CAN design:

I am amazed at how well these cars can tolerate disfunctioning. While reworking the FSCU CAN-C wiring I experienced a "magic carpet drive" when the ECU was able to PERFECTLY smooth out every road ups/downs. The result was very distinctly unique like seating on cloud with zero bump. Car also stayed noticeably flat around corner turns.

I was used to this car regularly bouncing me from side to side on its computer controlled suspensions (magneto-fluid shocks, not Airmatic). After driving it over 7Yrs, I never thought it could smooth out the road that perfectly.

So now I am going to make sure I keep my car network in the mood to perform that trick.

Not to mention the tranny shifting very intelligently with engine demand instead of being laggy. It shares CAN-C with ECU and noisy FSCU ! These rewards are worth my sweat equity.

++++++
CAN Bandwidth vs. Latency:
I don't know exactly what system manages the smart struts, yet I can spot a direct relationship here.

When the fast top-priority CAN-C is kept busy, the ECU has to stutter messages. Some work the CPU does is best-effort only with time left a available.

The architecture of robust systems lets them gracefully expire some work when busy. So our best interest is to reduce latencies to regain more wasted bandwidth. Noisy CAN-C and bottleneck faults are bad news for performance.

We all pay strict attention to limp-modes, on the other end I care for smooth system performance.

With your help I am sure we can learn many interesting things. Thanks to all the contributors who pave the way.

​​​​​
+++++++
CANDY for ya:
Watch this: "TIP on CAN BUS DIAGNOSTICS"
https://youtu.be/5YWHrTTmWE8
This makes it plenty clear why painted GND are job No1 to easily prevent random disruptions.
👏

To quickly troubleshoot interactions we would benefit from having a network chart to know exactly what module is connected to what CAN bus. Is this already available as a WIS top-notch paper ??

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 08-09-2021 at 06:12 PM.
juanmor40 (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 994 Posts
2008 E350 (W211 @170K), 2012 ML350 (W166 @119K), 2014 E350 Sport (W212 @96K), 2015 ML350 (W166 @92K)
Cali,
How come I did not catch your last post full glory? Awesome my man...awesome for the Fuel Pump Controller Sherlock Holmes.
Did you update it a few days after posting?

It seems it does not send emails about post edits/updates, so I come back every two days to check on Cali's progress

I already cleaned up my passenger's side GND points along with the cabin filter replacement. I even took out the blower, disassembled it, cleaned the wheel, and attempted to re-lube the around-the-top bearing. I stopped at taking out the brushes to extract the rotor and properly lube both bearings, i.e. half-job

Hopefully, I will do the driver's side soon.

On the AUX battery, I got my battery tested with the Midtronics tester and it was diagnosed with 25% CCA capacity, i.e. dead. So I bought a generic one (Duracell) with the same printed ratings as MB one, and plan to monitor its health occasionally at the same shop to see the CCA deterioration. I can always claim something that seems off, get the free test under its warranty.
S-Prihadi (08-10-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

troubleshooting flaky CAN

Cold solder ..... INSTRUMENT CLUSTER PARTY !!!! Yeah.

https://youtu.be/zgmFK0HuV3g

You know, I am not suprised that Instrument Cluster going banana can take down quite a few other modules.

The way I see troublecode generated from pulling fuses at this post : https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-87m-50-a.html
.... is a real eye opener.

A CAN bus shorting is another nightmare......
Damn, modern cars.
I like 100% of this fix including the free A/C repair. Modules connected to multiple CAN's act as bridges between them. So no cluster... no trunk, no A/C etc... CAN-C keeps the vehicle going while CAN-B provides incentives to get it repaired or traded at the Lexus dealer.

I remember a video from Pine Hollow where he went on vacation back to Russia/Crimea and spend nearly a month doctoring cars that needed serious help. He is good man.
👍

+++++
The video shows how to tap mid-speed network (CAN-B?) directly off the ODB plug and witness CAN-LO disruption with a dual channel scope.

The cause was already identified as the IC display otherwise it would have required a network chart to enumerate modules, unplug their CAN , probe +12/GND, CAN-H/L, loose connector pins,...
The hard part is to narrow down the trouble maker.

++++++++
Limited Fault Tolerance:
CAN's are known to be fault tolerant to loosing Hi or Lo signal, except the high speed CAN-C that needs both sigs.
The bad part is mostly when the GND connection is intermittent, it drops CAN-Lo and keeps going. When a module looses +12v the SW simply dies and goes mute. In that way you can loose sunroof control without affecting the trunk.
Multi-CAN modules are VIP's because they likely serve as gateways for others.
👍

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 08-10-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cali,

I recalled I watched the video below, this may help in the noise killing you are after :

CaliBenzDriver (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

dampening 3-phase noise 😋

good finding. I have watched this video a month ago. It's very well presented. This is in part what lead me towards choking the power supply side.

The one thing to note is filtering the motor side is known to be detrimental to its ball bearings (weird, I know!). These EMI energy waves are to be guided, not blocked. Harmonics are in RF far from basic DC circuit laws.

I think the very best choice on the motor side are SHORT VFD shielded power cabling. That is the Ace up my sleeve if necessary... it won't look OEM but may work best to eliminate 3-phases radiated noise.
Plan B is to eliminate motor side conductors the way MB did for our big 60+Amp radiator fan.

High Amp & long run:
I'd be curious to see what level of noise is radiated into the ECU harness between fan and Prefuse on the oposite side of the engine on most LHD cars.
For some reasons..., MB choose the longest path instead of feeding the fan (#1 highest consumer) on the side of Prefuse. Go figure 😂

Fan harness snakes its way from driver side all around towards Prefuse...
Lucky RHD cars:
Perhaps your fan power feed is super short to your nearby Prefuse on RHD's?

+++++
DLC exposes only CAN-D... (no C, D, E,..)

simple DLC wiring

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 08-11-2021 at 08:19 PM. Reason: pic
Old 08-10-2021, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

By distance my RHD car, its cooling fan cable to the F32 prefuse which is on the LEFT of the car, is shorter than LHD cars. Afterall the connector of the main power feed to the fan is on fan left side too even for LHD car...yes ?

I think the "noise" in engine bay is worst from the 6 of ignition coils ( M276) more than anything else, the secondary side is 20Kv+ at least.

VFD /Speed Controller Noise
In my friend's factory at very low production volume like Covid is now, he is consuming only approx 180Kw/hour.
120kw of this is from machines having VFD.
The amount of harmonic is very high as such his 6 stage ( I am sure it is 6 stage ) capacitor bank simply being overwhelmed and kept tripping their individual circuit breakers.
Finally I told him to shut capacitor bank down before damage will occur. The power factor loss $$ is not that bad.

He lost more $$ from KvaR penalty of the 1,000 Kva transformer while being used at no more than 20% capacity and only in day time.
I got him a new 400 kva transformer and case closed. The cost of the new smaller transformer will pay back itself in 13 months, as the KvaR fine now is very small.

For DC circuit, I was reading about "harmonics" ................
https://www.researchgate.net/post/Ca...uit-transients

Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostic has 1 video ( 2 parts ) which an intermittent trouble due to a generic low quality coil causing issue only at high RPM.
This is interesting.

Other weird one............
I once was taking care of a Caterpillar engine 3412 V12 cylinders 1,350HP x 2 on a 75 footer, way back in 2005 there about. Yacht is a 1995 production.
Its left/port engine has issue, it will shut down on its own after 4 hours of running at cruise speed, 2,100 RPM.
Cat techie from official Cat Indonesia could not read the log on the ECM as ECM never recorded the shut down event. They cant find the trouble.
It was very difficult to even simulate, because 4 hours is 400 liters per hour x 4 = 1,600 liter or 450+ US gallons we need to burn to get the engine to shut down on its own.

Finally I managed to tracked down the problem, it was the cable assy being too hot on long journey.
We heat shield the cable assy and it "cured" the problem, so new cable assy has to be ordered.
This cable assy was running inside the V bank.
Why the right side/STB engine was OK ......... I dont know for sure but I can guesstimate
The engine room door is at the right side and on long journey ( above 2 hours ) they on purpose open up that door to add more ventilation.
So technically right side engine has more luck with cool air..
Electric input and output air blowers can't really cope with this engines.

One more funny one.
MTU Asia Pacific, based in Singapore. The head techie is my friend.
They were commissioning a new 36 ish meters ferry, so the engines would be 2,000+ HP x 2 usually.
During the sea trial, the engine also shut down own its own...TWICE.
My friend then summoned every one and asked them: what was the last thing EVERYONE on board did, before the engine shut down ?
Guess what..... it was the PABX phone, the vessel intercom between room to room.
MTU wire shielding is one of the best, I see them often. MTU is very electronic since day 1, well ahead of other diesel engine makers.

To think a PABX can have stray signal strong enough to overcome engine cable shielding and inject a command equal to ENGINE KILL is just one of those things
our CAN BUS can add misery when Uncle Murphy decided so..

Old 09-08-2021, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

HVAC/CCU: classic Pin fix

it's been a while... here goes my HVAC module on the bench!

pins awaiting for attention

nicely sophisticated module: (uC, Displays, PWM pwr Reg)

The HVAC board is easy to get to and and appears of best quality besides the magic-pins. There are 4 groups of pressed pins (14 + 12 + 4 + 4) that are asking for a little soldering and makeup

resoldered PCB w/coating

FUNCTIONALITIES :
Overall this circuit board had no signs of heat or any current issues in my case. It does have 4x fat I/O pins and 2 distinct power supplies sections, suggesting an abity to draw down power. The absence of any power switching component show that heavy loads (A/C clutch, fans..) are controlled over the network by F-SAM - Just what you'd expect in this sort of distributed systems. Complexity works in our favor until a -50°C sensor comes to play.

The rubon harness feeding the 2x tiny display screens are not super secured by a good connector. I could see potential for problem with those displays aging.

On the up side, this board may not be subject to oxidation crusties because it's not powered 24x7 like a SAM. It was really well factory cleaned of any flux residues... before I worked on mine and coated everything over for lasting protection. The gap between traces is kept extremely narrow, so sensitive to bridging nonetheless - So I brushed on a conformal coat!!

NETWORKED MODULES:
Any single network module has the ability to rain on some amount of trouble within its reach. HVAC is never going to limp-mode the powertrain but can delay CAN-B xfers, introduce delays (unlock car but alarm still active) and drive the radiator fan supersonic over pressure sensor.
Disfunctioning is a tricky art perfected in great details. All the ramifications are seldom obvious so Module sanity is good medicine
✌️

++++
Here is picture showing classic pins...

boat loads of opportunities

While around there... get in the row of buttons called "LCP".

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 07-25-2023 at 02:17 PM.
juanmor40 (09-08-2021), S-Prihadi (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice .............. nice.
CaliBenzDriver (07-25-2023)
Old 09-09-2021, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Driver seat module...

This module may not be friendly for long! It comes with soldered pins and a side order of crusties ..

OMG: crusties bridging traces
not 1... 3 locations!

overall circuit with mixed power and logic

resoldered power paths

Coating was easily brushed over both sides

DESCRIPTION:
This board is a nice microcontrolled module design with 7x quality Omron relays. It watches CAN requests from remote seat buttons in DCU and PreSafe functions to move all the necessary seat parts... Great!

The issue is the assembly was not factory cleaned and the left over flux chemical are interacting to mess things up.

Connectors are notably well soldered to handle the short current surge associated with motors. It guarantees some dependability during a collision when the seat is rushed to travel at high speed ... ask me how I know! Great feature of my Pre-Safe option.

The engineers decided to use a nearby private GND screw to supply the seat module...Great! (unlike the front sunroof motor that amazingly grounds all the way into the trunk)

Watch out for crusties:
Oxidation builds up from rogue currents between metals passing through humidity CONDENSATION ie. water!
If there is a battery voltage present in nearby traces it speeds up the process 24x7 with overnight dew condensation. The outcome is a crazy module, network and dained AGM. Prime candidate CAN-B with the largest numbers of secondary modules.

Having narrow gaps between coper traces and no PCB protective layer beside green mask, is a setup for troubles. Nothing new here!

EASY FIX:
solder, clean, coat = dependable under 40mn.
It is possible for crusties to reach a point of no return, the module may need to be scraped. Your call.

KNOWLEDGE USEFULNESS:
I would like to try and organise the knowledge in this thread to benefit a wider audience. Wouldn't it be positive to benefit more falks without understanding too much?

I maintain a summary of modules up in OP sorted by pin style. One of these days I'll try to add an extra dimension to help guide repairs, some sort of easy "modules for dummies".

Diver's joke

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 09-10-2021 at 08:15 PM.
S-Prihadi (09-11-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Passenger Seat Module...

This passenger seat circuit is the same layout as driver side with 2 Omron's omitted. It is almost identically built but with different issues.

overall layout (2x Rly x'ed)

cold pin solders! 🤣

resoldered with 100w iron 🙂

cleaned and coated for protection

FIX:
We are dealing with cold solders from factory and no crusties. Preventively repaired with a routine "solder, clean and coat".

We can expect issues to be interchangeable between passenger and driver seat modules. What I am showing here is just my own sample. Your combination may be a different mix of cold solder, crusties.
Overall we don't spend all day exercising the seats controls, so crusties may be your #1 enemy in association with high A/C useage.

There seem to be an SRS module nearby under each seat. I stayed away from it assuming it will be built as a top grade module -

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 09-10-2021 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

COMAND + LCP...

My COMAND unit is assembled with a pile of 40 screws designed by Mitsubishi Japan.
After taking the dashboard apart, I removed another 10 screws and decided against spoiling my weekend with this working electronics. I estimate it may take around 5Hrs to open and button up this unit for the first time.

The Terminator said it best...: "I'll be back!"

HDD removed then another 6 screws inside the tray

paid by the screw... but not me!

On the way back, I took a quick look (14 screws) at the Lower Control Panel and discovered it is a surprisingly nice little computer with a SOLDERLESS connector!

It is hard to believe so much electronic can be used to network 6 press buttons. Small but smart.

LCP features 2x BGA Chips, Keypad and LED

This board has more LED's than a Xmas tree! 17 to be precise - All powered through one pin + GND.

This is far from a chipo press-button. There are two BallGridAray controller chips that are nearly the latest technology in electronic packaging. Thanks to DE Atmel and US Freescale for these fancy chips.

das ist das... solderless LIN pins 🤣

> California NUGGET:
Seeing how the COMAND host a 20Amp fuse on the back... might save you $3k one day.

Hidden 20Amp savior

Missing in Action were the GND Screws for the whole center console - Perhaps lower by the base or near iCluster.

More power to you ✌️

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 09-11-2021 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,296 Likes on 886 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
I'm pretty sure there's at least 3 different generations of the COMAND module. early 212's, I dunno what they had, most of the middle years got NTG4.x, and 2016 got NTG5.x
Old 09-10-2021, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

​​​​​​​COMAND legacy

Originally Posted by Left Coast Geek
I'm pretty sure there's at least 3 different generations of the COMAND module. early 212's, I dunno what they had, most of the middle years got NTG4.x, and 2016 got NTG5.x
It is quite an exercice to get a 3rd party from Jp to integrate so many features and still move forward with new design evolution. Hat's off for that.

Like it or not, this head unit really is a "media center": SD-Card, HDD, Bluetooth, CD, DVD, Satellite I/F, phone calls all nicely integrated throughout the car.

Fortunately or not the new deal came with the cellphone display casting to keep additional complexity out of the car systems. No need for more encrypted media MOST networking... hum.

audio spaghetti nest

> Link to next Post #96 <-- click here.
✌️

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 09-14-2021 at 10:42 PM. Reason: bypass spam
Old 09-10-2021, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

holy crap. pulled up a 212.288 generic (e350 4matic wagon)
and... these are ALL different versions of the media/COMAND/etc thing.

A2129004910 A2129003411 A2129004922 A2129002323 A2129005010 A2129006022 A2129008524 A2129005212 A2129000114 A2129000217 A2129006022 A2129008524 A2129001826 A2129008328 A2129005312 A2129000214 A2129000317 A2129008524 A2129001826 A2129007208 A2129007308 A2129004612 A2129007408 A2129009411 A2129008428 A2129007508 A2129009511 A2129002812 A2129007608 A2129009611 A2129000522 A2129006322 A2129006423 A2129005325 A2129007225 A2129005325 A2129007126 A2129005527 A2129005413 A2129006313 A2129004514 A2129005514 A2129002117 A2129007225 A2129009925 A2129007126 A2129001827 A2129007123 A2129000219 A2129006025 A2129007925 A2129005513 A2129006413 A2129004714 A2129005714 A2129002317 A2129006025 A2129007925 A2129008526 A2129006127 A2129005613 A2129006513 A2129004914 A2129005914 A2129002517 A2129007925 A2129008526 A2129005713 A2129006613 A2129005114 A2129006114 A2129002717 A2129000622 A2129006422 A2129006523 A2129006913 A2129007313 A2129004614 A2129005614 A2129002217 A2129001927 A2129005425 A2129007325 A2129007013 A2129007413 A2129004814 A2129005814 A2129002417 A2129005425 A2129007325 A2129007226 A2129005627 A2129007113 A2129007513 A2129005014 A2129006014 A2129002617 A2129007325 A2129000026 A2129007226 A2129007223 A2129008716 A2129005518 A2129000219 A2129006125 A2129008025 A2129003917 A2129006125 A2129008025 A2129008626 A2129006227 A2129003718 A2129008025 A2129000726 A2129008626 A2129004512 A2129008816 A2129005618 A2129000319 A2129000722 A2129006522 A2129006623 A2129004017 A2129005525 A2129007425 A2129003818 A2129002122 A2129009124 A2129005525 A2129007425 A2129007326 A2129007427 A2129001216 A2129000817 A2129008916 A2129005718 A2129000419 A2129007425 A2129000126 A2129007326 A2129001619 A2129005727 A2129000529 A2129001819 A2129005818 A2129000519 A2129007525 A2129007426 A2129007527 A2129001416 A2129008116 A2129009116 A2129007018 A2129000619 A2129002712 A2129004317 A2129003327 A2129005827 A2129000629 A2129001422 A2129007222 A2129007323 A2129004118 A2129006225 A2129008125 A2129006225 A2129008125 A2129008726 A2129007627 A2129000819 A2129008125 A2129000826 A2129008726 A2129003316 A2129001317 A2129006517 A2129008422 A2129006814 A2129003216 A2129001217 A2129006417 A2129008322 A2129003427 A2129006327 A2129000729 A2129000922 A2129006722 A2129006823 A2129005725 A2129007625 A2129001716 A2129008416 A2129009416 A2129004717 A2129006118 A2129001019 A2129005725 A2129007625 A2129007526 A2129006927 A2129007625 A2129000326 A2129007526 A2129001522 A2129007322 A2129007423 A2129006325 A2129008225 A2129002922 A2129009924 A2129006325 A2129008225 A2129008826 A2129007027 A2129008225 A2129000926 A2129008826 A2129001122 A2129006922 A2129007023 A2129005925 A2129007825 A2129002522 A2129009524 A2129005925 A2129007825 A2129007726 A2129006027 A2129007825 A2129000526 A2129007726 A2129001622 A2129007422 A2129007523 A2129006425 A2129008325 A2129006425 A2129008325 A2129008926 A2129006427 A2129008325 A2129001026 A2129008926 A2129001822 A2129007622 A2129007723 A2129006625 A2129008525 A2129000225 A2129006625 A2129008525 A2129009126 A2129007227 A2129008525 A2129009126 A2129006426 A2129005327 A2129005427 A2129000429 A2129003222 A2129005126 A2129004626 A2129005226 A2129004826 A2129005326 A2129005526 A2129007627 A2189001905 A2189005506 A2189008206 A2189000007 A2189006906 A2189003207 A2189000107 A2189007006 A2189003307 A2189002105 A2189005706 A2189008406 A2189000207 A2189007106 A2189003407 A2189005607 A2189005507 A2189005907 A2189005807 A2189006007 A2189005707 A2189006107 A2189003207 A2189006207 A2189003307 A2189006307 A2189003407 A2189008407 A2189006407 A2189002607 A2189005607 A2189000508 A2189002507 A2189005507 A2189000408 A2189002907 A2189005907 A2189000808 A2189002807 A2189005807 A2189000708 A2189003007 A2189006007 A2189000908 A2189005707 A2189000608 A2189006107 A2189001008
Old 09-10-2021, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

post insanely too long and hard to read....

Last edited by Left Coast Geek; 07-12-2022 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

insanely too long and hard to read. deletes. the info is all in WIS, anyways

Last edited by Left Coast Geek; 07-12-2022 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

search engine dump

damn... these CMD units seem to evolve endlessly

including the GPS maps etc

My one unit never got superceded 🙂

++++ Test drove 2.5 Hrs:

newly soldered console modules seem 20% brigter. ECU seem better behaved with velvet responsive pedal and went to sleep rapidly afterwards ie. no endless spinning of coolant pump or headlight fans - Yeah, that sounds like an enhancement: good deal!

12.6V float and the Green ECO flag was observed (signaling order) ... but quick 12.3v swing was seen (terminated by headlights!) as well bad disappearing Green followed by normal voltages. A mixed bag.

Highway steering is now remarquably planted stable by well behaved suspensions - Knock on wood 🤞.

This was like getting a preview... Now I want my car to be like that all the time.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 01-07-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is good Cali and LCG.
That 20 amp fuse I wonder if that is indicated in MB WIS wiring, I doubt though. Mine is Panasonic audio 20, no GPS, No MAP...simple one.
Keep it going Cali. This is the best MB electrical preventive maintenance I have ever seen.
CaliBenzDriver (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

from skimming randomly, there's pre 2013, 2013-2015, and 2016 versiosn, then there's various international variants, and with or without the rear media options. I didn't even begin to dig through all possible code combinationsl, there's a lot. many of them were superceded once or twice with engineering revisions.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Golden Triangle: LS - IC - CD

Today we scored Gold! ​​Not much of it but enough to propel the:
  • Headlights_SWITCH
  • Instrument_CLUSTER
  • Comand_DISPLAY
as wordclass champions in top quality modules.

When looking closer you can see nearly every aspect of these modules got extra care from their product team. The complexity of injection moldings, the cooling vents, the assembly procedure, gold plated PCB layout, wave soldering... all got 100%. I only wish I had useful software details or circuit diagram for reference.

From the quality I've witness here, I can extrapolate the ECU is also a top grade module... Granted it may still act up when 105°C capacitors begin to dryout or engine oil reaches its input connections. As far as connectors, I think they went for soldered reliability.

1- iCLUSTER:
I was well pleased to look at a module that required no fixing. The circuit board is sparsely populated with parts we've grown accustomed too on other CAN modules. The specialty is in the central dial with built-in display... not exactly new but nice.

tha clock showing dial gearing

Golden plated PCB 👍

nicely soldered connector

2- COMAND_DISPLAY:

Another gold finalist with awesome hardware. The display module is a hot circuit. Benz built a special cooling duct to bring fresh air directly to this module. I wonder if the life of this module depends on the cooling of a tiny external fan -or the car main blower?

display circuit board components

lean solders at hot regulator......

resoldered power regulator

blow through heatsink casing

DEDICATED COOLING VENT for display

3-HEADLIGHT_SW:
This simple module features a golden PCB and soldered connector pins. It is only a low-power satellite of F-SAM where all the power actually gets switched.

However this module should last a 1000 yrs is missing silicon lubricant where the 5 dry brushes contact the rough carbon tracks...

switch on the way out

conventionally soldered connector

4-Real Clock:
A complex clock with no less than a LIN Control make this a smart clock with automatically adjusted hands. All nicely
nicely soldered 👍

a pricey clock for sure

The list of troublemakers is getting really short
We'll soon get back to live system analysis with trustworthy hardware.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 09-20-2021 at 04:18 PM.
juanmor40 (09-14-2021), S-Prihadi (09-15-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one hundred

To make these 100 posts more useful, I am transforming OP to provide Indexed Links and a research summary

Special THANKS to the smart masters in this forum for inspiration and guidance.

ghost look ready for Halloween 🎃

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 09-14-2021 at 10:54 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: $3 fix for solderless modules...