Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,605 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Bilstein "hybrid-mix" B4 and B6 & long drive engine data

Gents,

So I driven approx 1,300+ KM on the rear Bilstein B6.
Was installed here : Rear damper top mount - Lemforder, garbage or fake ? - MBWorld.org Forums

Jakarta >> stop over 2 days at Batu City ( Jatim Park 3 ) >>> Bali
https://*******/maps/jSu2kj7fMxyjXZhX8 Only 850 ish KM of the 1,300ish KM are paid highway, the rest are 1 lane interstate road with opposing traffic.

Small data insert.
Differential temperature highest recorded was 92.2 Celcius. For those curious.
This temperature is the metal skin temperature of the DIFF and not its oil. I use thermocouple to sense the DIFF skin.
Jakarta city to Batu City ( Jatim Park 3 in goolemap ) approx 10 hours. The highest recorded temp of DIFF was when I did high speed within the 8th hours of those 10 hours.

Transmission has oil cooler, so always never exceed 82 C if I recalled for the entire 10 hours run Jakarta city to Batu City.
The trans oil is actually hotter a bit at stop n go city traffic.

DU
DIFF thermocouple installation spot

================================================== =======

The Bilstein B6 on bad roads, small road bumps type.... is harsher than B4.
What I mean by road bumps are those repair on tarmac where new layer is not smoothly contoured over old layer,
something like below :

Impressive, the dashcam GPS and googlemap is within <5 meters accuracy.

On decent road surface be it tarmac or concrete, Bilstein B6 at the rear is very nice for comfort.
At high speed , the rear B6 surprisingly with B4 front is VERY nice , compliant and brings confidence at 110 MPH or more.
Straight line tracking is awesome ( Michelin PS4 responsible too ) and I realized the "numbness" of this EPS steering has its merit if for long distance high speed.
If only I am on the Autobahn.....drool on.

GPS speed on lowest left. It has like 1.5 second delay between GPS speed and odometer speed.

The 105 seconds above video vehicle speed in excel graph is shown below:

Below is a 20.1 minutes worth of data where the 105 seconds video and data are part of it.
This region is 550KM from Jakarta, where the highway starts to be much lesser traffic and a much better road surface overall and
the joinery of the road to bridges is not dangerous like the first 500KM highway from Jakarta.
Hence I can safely do 170 KM/H often and decided to do the 221 KM/H.

I am not familiar with this stretch of highway but I know it is a different name, and seems quite new and the contractor probably
does less corruption and hence better quality surface and bridge joinery.

The original MB wideband oxygen sensors before the CAT is quite a worry for its temperature.
It is a Bosch LSU 4.9 family and maximum operating high temp allowed is 930C as max.
https://www.bosch-motorsport.com/con...or_LSU_4.9.pdf

ALL BELOW ARE : 20.1 minutes data. 1 data point is 1 second.

Coolant temp is okey. Aftercooler efficiency is OK.

Fuel trim not so good for Bank 1 or right side bank, cylinder 1, 2 & 3.

Using Xentry so called compression test, indeed Bank 1 are with lower values. Bank 1 or right side bank are cylinders 1, 2 & 3.

M276 3.0 TT cylinder numbers and position. Bank 1 means cylinder 1 is there.

Will continue.....................

Last edited by S-Prihadi; 10-25-2021 at 06:11 PM. Reason: typo
The following 2 users liked this post by S-Prihadi:
CaliBenzDriver (10-25-2021), pierrejoliat (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,448 Likes on 2,297 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
long drive trip...

Surya, how many days did you take for driving this long cross-country trip? Thanks for all the temp logging of diff and cats...

Bosch lambda sensor

You hit another good nail with lambda sensors being sensitive parts... The datasheet shows how Bosch control logic ramps up the qtemperature carefully at 0.4V/Sec max with the 7W heater control.

930°C. Max temp with a hard limit at 1030°C. is food for thoughts during turbo pulls.

The part left out is how age and contamination derate the sensor output. I used to think the DTC for failed 02/lambda heater was the best time for replacement, not so!! The upstream O2 sensor are ultra-well monitored for performance but it's just like a misfire code is not the best time for sparkplug maintenance...
​​​​​
Before the sensor becomes totally irresponsive it reacts slowly and causes both V-banks to be mismatched. That sorts of emulate "old engine" behaviors with slower accelerations uphills, engine vibrations, lean mixtures but still no codes reported for 40kMi.
I think the usefull life is somewhere between 80...120kMi based on engine maintenance and driving habits. The open Heater code shows up around 150kMi.

It is money well spent to retain low-rpm torque, smooth throttle response, closely matched fuel trims for minimal vibrations..

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 10-26-2021 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Cali,

I usually do Jakarta Bali in 2 days, each day maximum 10-12 hours drive, in daylight as much as possible.
So day 1 stop over at the cool Batu City was decided last year trip and also this year trip.
It is a bit troublesome fuel wise to get 98 RON, because it is not available easily as the 92 RON. My car needs 95 RON, so 98 RON I must get.
No more 95 RON since 98 RON offered. Every 200KM or half tank, I do fuel stop. Furthest without fuel stop is 350KM. I can do 400KM safe.

Because of majority highway from Jakarta to Batu City, its 850ish KM journey , Day 1 can be done in approx 10 hours.
Batu city to Bali while only 450KM , highway is only worth 100KM maximum, ferry ride 1.5 hours and all poor single lane opposing traffic interstate roads,
10-11 hours is the norm. Yep that means 450/11/1.61 = 25MPH average speed

My eyes are getting old for night drive. I don't feel comfy driving at nigh with the rude/insane behaviour of the motorbike in this country at interstate...where many has dead blown
bulbs for their tail and sometimes headlight and they go opposing traffic, they cross roads like pedestrian...yada yada. MAD they are.
Good thing at paid highway NO MOTORBIKE allowed, or anything with less than 4 wheels. Otherwise it will be a killing field

I been monitoring my lambda sensor closer since I got the Banks OB2 Data Monster Gauge.
Too bad Banks got its programming wrong for how to read Bosch Lambda sensor and Banks wont do anything about it even when I reported.
They simply said they are good with American cars only.

This Banks gauge also does not have a real time clock or GPS input, hence its difficult to sync it to my video for best technical analysis and also keeping their log files is
tough for long journey. No dates and no time stamp. Every engine kill for refuelling meaning RPM signal lost, Banks gauge go to sleep ( good auto OFF ).
So, many CSV files are created during this trip.

The resulting screw up with Banks gauge program/firmware is that I do not have a valid AFR ( air fuel ratio ) value. In fact it is opposite value...LOL.
When it is supposed to be RICH, it shows lean. And vice versa. Funny, Torque App the old and almost free of charge can read Air-Fuel Equivalence Ratio (lambda,λ)

Xentry does not actually show fuel trim you know...it only shows Lambda value.
So I guess OBD2 standard translate that to fuel trim.
OBD2 PID has voltage and current for AFR , it is : Air-Fuel Equivalence Ratio (lambda,λ)

I choose Banks gauge because of its logging capability to a memory card and it is fast, capable of recording 1 Hz if only 100 data PID and
10 Hz if I reduce the data PID to say 25. Torque App only can record into CSV file 8 data PID and it is slow as it is bluetooth, Display more than 16 data PID to a tablet,
Torque APP will lag 1-2 seconds and can be more.

Banks gauge is hardwired using OBD2 cable and its built-in processor is fast. I will and can expand Banks gauge to a 2nd display and my thermocouples for DIFF and TRANS can be logged too.
Only need to buy this thermocouple interface :
https://www.bankspower.com/i-2781-4-...upergauge.html

Next is oil pressure gauge sensor, for engine oil. I can also attached to its casing a thermocouple and get indirect engine oil temperature.
Need to buy this interface, aside from oil press-sensor : https://www.bankspower.com/i-2782-4-...upergauge.html
Since I got 4 analog channels capability , actually if I can custom made a good fitting and install pressure sensor for my engine coolant and turbo coolant circuit.

Finally ADD will be this ambient pressure + temperature sensor and see how much actual power I am getting from my turbo based on altitude and aftercooler temperature
https://www.bankspower.com/i-2692-ai...upergauge.html

It is all planned already and now I am actually testing the Banks gauge (master & logger ) first for this year, before I throw more money to expand it.

======================

Back to Lambda sensor
The one before the CAT is wide band version LSU4.9, the one after the CAT is a narrow band one, I do not know exactly what it is, but a Bosch it seems.
I think with my driving style, these sensors won't last pass 50,000KM and still be as fast as I would like it to be. It may not yet fail, but it maybe slow and lazy.

I have replaced my MAP sensor for experiment sake. The MAP sensor after the throttle body.
Old one is very very slightly drifted. Actually it is still within its accuracy limit. Well, I keep the old one as spare.

My timing chain won't survive my driving to 75,00KM I think.
There is a menu in Xentry to see its stretch actually. I will try to read it in a few days, I have my xentry laptop + that obd dongle with me hehehehe.

Now my right bank ( bank 1 ) exhaust timing chain seems a tiny bit stretched, within limits but its something to pay attention to. I Believe MB allows -6 to +6 degrees or -4 to +4 degrees for M276.
Below readings taken like a month ago at 31,000KM ish or so.

The exhaust cam right banks (bank 1 ) being not "perfect" in actual position vs commanded/specified is probably responsible for the poorer right bank compression and the fuel trim.
Yes, still within limits but it is a sore eyes to see it ...LOL.

CaliBenzDriver (10-26-2021), pierrejoliat (10-27-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

exhaust valve timing...

In the right hands, Xentry is really an awsome tool for knowledge ... here about the data plots of your right bank timing.

EXH timing delta: ask vs. get

The exhaust timing (actual vs. command) is trailing by 2° but not the intake... to me that means chain is okay, so but VVT is not able to compensate as commanded... LOW OIL PRESSURE... Have you replaced the leaky TENSIONERS??

VVT's are hydraulically driven actuators supplied by the oil pump variable pressure.... It's a balancing act to dynamically time these camshafts properly.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 10-26-2021 at 03:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (10-27-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AFR Sensor...

Are you curious about the design difference between 02 and lambda ?

Watch this master explainations on "Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR) Construction" on YouTube
The ECU drives the sensor internal 02 pump to directly evaluate a correction inside the tiny sample chamber... 👍 amazing!

Upstream sensors are AFR to monitor mixture
Downstreams are O2 to monitor Cats' scrubing.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
Are you curious about the design difference between 02 and lambda ?

Watch this master explainations on "Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR) Construction" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Bm86bCHYQoA
The ECU drives the sensor internal 02 pump to directly evaluate a correction inside the tiny sample chamber... 👍 amazing!

Upstream sensors are AFR to monitor mixture
Downstreams are O2 to monitor Cats' scrubing.
I seen similar video when I started trying to know about Lambda vs oxygen sensor. Thanks
Old 10-26-2021, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dang, you are right Cali . Inlet and exhaust cams bank 1 share same chain....LOL

Taken from M276 3.5L document , should be the same as 3.0L

My engine S/N is not listed in the TSB like the 3.5L with that oil check valve add on.

This video is very clear on how the cam phaser works

From 3.0L document, page 29

Function sequence for adjustment ( Y49/4, Y49/5, Y49/6 & Y49 are the cam phasers/solenoids )
The left and right intake camshaft solenoids (Y49/4, Y49/5) and the left and right exhaust camshaft solenoids (Y49/6, Y49/7) are actuated by the ME-SFI [ME] control unit by means of a pulse width modulated signal (PWM signal). The control plungers are adjusted via the characteristics map-dependent duty cycle. The oil filling quantities (hydraulic fluid) for the camshaft positioners are controlled according to their position. The vane plungers which are firmly connected to the camshafts are thus turned by the hydraulic fluid in the camshaft positioners.

Function sequence for adjustment range
Intake camshaft: a 4°CKA before TDC (Top Dead Center) up to a 36°CKA after TDC (intake open)
Exhaust camshaft: 25° CKA before TDC up to 15° CKA after TDC (exhaust closes)

Function sequence for start position
Intake camshaft: 36° CKA after TDC (intake opens)
Exhaust camshaft: 25° CKA before TDC (exhaust closes)

My right bank exhaust cam adjuster's chamber seals (4) are leaky ?

Old 10-26-2021, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Or....my electromagnetic solenoid is no more strong enough ?
https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/merc...uster-magnets/

I already have 4 new ones for replacement soon anyway , for fear of the oil leak into its wires and then my ECU wiring.

Old 10-26-2021, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This video is probably how the MB cam phaser works too....
juanmor40 (10-27-2021), pierrejoliat (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Laggy R_EXH phaser...

Originally Posted by S-Prihadi
1_ My right bank exhaust cam adjuster's chamber seals (4) are leaky ?

2_ Or....my electromagnetic solenoid is no more strong enough ?
1_ The VVT chamber seals have a really easy life, I don't think they can leak significantly. The soft lock pin on the other hand is the known point of failure.

2_ The work of solenoid actuators is evaluated in closed loop by the camshaft position sensor. The ECU learns what best PWM ratio is needed to locate the camshaft where needed based on rpm, load etc. It uses a learned map like the A/F Ratio.

Can you poke around Xentry menus to retrain your VVT Phaser defaults as done with new units??

It could also be that your 2° lag is within specs and normal on these engines -or the soft park-pin is not locking...

Our secondary chains tensioners are missing the ratcheting mechanism that had made the design reliable for the past 100 years. Not anymore!!
Now the only thing holding chain tension is the available oil pressure... plunger travels in and out with the chain tension until its seal is trashed, then working pressure leaks right through, starving the Phasers of needed oil and wasting lock pins in the process > $$$$: a money-pump.

Hat's off to the engineers who managed to design all this extra maintenance for tensioners and phasers.
In some cases you can simply flip the pin around for a free fix.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 10-27-2021 at 02:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaliBenzDriver:
need2speed (10-27-2021), pierrejoliat (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The only re-learn is for crankshaft sensor when new.
The cam sensors are self adapting and in real time as wear and tear progress.
I digged up Xentry already.

2 degrees drift is within limits, so no CEL.

Yes soft locking pin seems to be the common wear & tear, but that is confirmed CEL covered if it goes south.

I done camshaft timing test again, this time with real test drive and not stationary.

Seems intake of right bank ( bank 1 ) is not consistent in following ECM specified angle too, but unlike the more consistently 2 degree OFF/DRIFT exhaust cam.

While it may seems simple this cam phaser, the balancing act of the oil regulator is quite amazing.
Full retard or advance is easier to do, but below graph of 87th to 97th second is oil balancing between 2 zones/chambers at its finest act.

oil balancing act

This is the one responsible for the balancing of oil flow

Item 1/2 the workshorse.

The oil balancing act in 2 zones/chamber reminded me of power boat dual hydraulic ram steering.

Thinking about this oil balancing act, the camshaft electromagnet solenoid is also impressive for the 87th to 97th second work.

Too bad the video below seems to show Borg Wagner system only able to do 3 positions, but at least it is a good visualization material.

CaliBenzDriver (10-27-2021)