E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Assistance Graphic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2023 | 09:41 AM
Veteran: Navy

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
Assistance Graphic

My Assistance Graphic does nothing, Everything is "Enabled" but it still says off at the top. The build sheet shows I have 258 Collis.Warn. Sys. w/Active Brake Interv. FCW Stop, 476 Automatic Lane Recognition. No Histrionic. Any clues?

At top it says "off" no matter if Distance Warning is enabled or disabled, no codes in Xentry or Thinktool. Thinktool actuation tests, distance does show up for Distance Warning if I am standing in front of car and does change if I move closer or farther away.

Last edited by Rickman30; 10-17-2023 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Adding info
The following users liked this post:
Kibett E (01-27-2024)
Old 10-17-2023 | 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
SGR is ghosted 🙄

That is really odd!! As you state it's not just the display graphic - The whole distance sensitivity is kaput!!
No distance warning, no OBD faults while related feature options are enabled

What happens when you initiate Distronic while driving with the steering wheel control knob ??

How many windshield camera do you have?

What style front radar is installed?

Any interesting data inside SGR and CGW Modules that codes these features ??

You maybe left with no other recourse other than a simple Reboot to untangle the networked logic.
🤞

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 10-17-2023 at 12:10 PM.
pierrejoliat (10-18-2023)
Old 10-17-2023 | 12:14 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
According to build sheet, I don't have Distrionic or Distrionic plus, just the Distance warning and lane assist, Only one camera in front, no center radar, just two sensors each side of front bumper.

Might need to get the Benzninja to sort it out. After all, being a member...

Last edited by Rickman30; 01-31-2024 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-17-2023 | 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rickman30
According to build sheet, I don't have Histrionic or Histrionic plus, just the Distance warning and lane assist, Only one camera in front, no center radar, just two sensors each side of front bumper.

Might need to get the Benzninja to sort it out. After all, being a member...
Okay, that starting to make sense:
  • No Distronic cruise control installed.
  • Single mono camera.

Then the camera must have something odd going on with it. Can you query the module or is it ghosted off the CAN, unable to report?
Old 10-17-2023 | 12:36 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
Okay, that starting to make sense:
  • No Distronic cruise control installed.
  • Single mono camera.

Then the camera must have something odd going on with it. Can you query the module or is it ghosted off the CAN, unable to report?
No, I was able to read data off of it, but it does make more sense since my rain/light sensor is throwing a code for a short to ground. I have yet to begin diagnosing it since the wipers and lights still seem to work okay.
Old 10-17-2023 | 12:39 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
I'll plug up Xentry this evening and see where it leads me. I'll look to see if it is Ghosted as well. Sometimes Thinktool shows modules and codes where Xentry see everything okay.
Old 10-17-2023 | 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

quick repair

No, I was able to read data off of it, but it does make more sense since my rain/light sensor is throwing a code for a short to ground. I have yet to begin diagnosing it since the wipers and lights still seem to work okay.
There you go!!
​​​​​​
Your solderless rain sensor is creating a data bottleneck. Camera is able to talk but slow-speed only through traffic jam.
This highlights partner modules are clueless to this

I am going to bet if you fix the rain sensor, playtime will resume. ✌️

luckily its easy to fix - Look in my signature links: free for the braves!
pierrejoliat (10-18-2023)
Old 10-17-2023 | 12:50 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
I'm betting you're right. Makes sense now.

Old 10-17-2023 | 01:18 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
There you go!!
​​​​​​
Your solderless rain sensor is creating a data bottleneck. Camera is able to talk but slow-speed only through traffic jam.
This highlights partner modules are clueless to this

I am going to bet if you fix the rain sensor, playtime will resume. ✌️

luckily its easy to fix - Look in my signature links: free for the braves!
I'm only finding a partial list, I thought I remember more being on the list, I don't see rain sensor on this one.
Old 10-17-2023 | 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm only finding a partial list, I thought I remember more being on the list, I don't see rain sensor on this one.
Let me go fishing for that quick-fixing...
Here you go - Choices are 30mn fix or get it replaced.
This is entry level electronic basic soldering.
Alternative option is new module with SCN coding.
Pick your poison!

Solderless Easter Eggs hidden in plain sight

The way I see this module is a perfect practice before fixing the worthy EIS CAN gateway.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 10-17-2023 at 02:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaliBenzDriver:
pierrejoliat (10-18-2023), Rickman30 (10-17-2023)
Old 10-17-2023 | 03:59 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
Let me go fishing for that quick-fixing...
Here you go - Choices are 30mn fix or get it replaced.
This is entry level electronic basic soldering.
Alternative option is new module with SCN coding.
Pick your poison!

Solderless Easter Eggs hidden in plain sight

The way I see this module is a perfect practice before fixing the worthy EIS CAN gateway.
Thank you, Cali.

Should be easy enough, been soldering since 1979, I got a well used Hakko with some new tips to try out, a bent tip I wanted to give a shot at. I normally work on Tube Guitar amps and audio equipment. So I'm use to rework of a sort.
Old 10-17-2023 | 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

nice + easy = painless ...

See that's what I mean, choice is a no brainer here.
3 quick solders and you are done - No aggravations: bang!

As far as other soldering opportunities nearby, the OCP and rearview mirror are built reliably. I don't know what's inside the sealed forward camera module.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaliBenzDriver:
pierrejoliat (10-18-2023), Rickman30 (10-17-2023)
Old 10-17-2023 | 04:16 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
I'm all about, "No parts required".

Thanks again Cali, you da man.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rickman30:
CaliBenzDriver (10-17-2023), pierrejoliat (10-18-2023)
Old 10-17-2023 | 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

team focus

I'm all about, "No parts required".

Thanks again Cali, you da man.
I am glad I can help organize chaos with simplicity to meet your needs - I am only one of da men, many-many great ppl around here...

You know, with a collective focus we are able to cancel complex struggle to make these cars tic better than factory.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 10-17-2023 at 06:51 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CaliBenzDriver:
need2speed (10-19-2023), pierrejoliat (10-18-2023), Rickman30 (10-17-2023)
Old 10-18-2023 | 04:45 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
Well, reworked the three pins in the Rain/Light sensor, reinstalled, cleared codes, and no joy, hard fault remains, internally grounded, so the main chip has taken a dump on it. All components looked good, I did not apply power to see if chip was good as I'd hoped it was the solder less connections.

I acquire a new unit and get Benzninja to do the coding on it.

I also noticed, Xentry did not show any other codes save the Backup camera, which still works fine, but Thinktools shows M-Brace codes says internal ground and algorithm fault. I'm wondering if rain sensor is disrupting all sensors there? I also wonder why Xentry doesn't show them as well.

Also, appears all modules visual in topology. Unless old eyes and dyslexia are fooling me.

Anyway, thanks to all who helped, much appreciated.
Old 10-18-2023 | 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

progress...

Well, reworked the three pins in the Rain/Light sensor, reinstalled, cleared codes, and no joy, hard fault remains, internally grounded, so the main chip has taken a dump on it. All components looked good, I did not apply power to see if chip was good as I'd hoped it was the solder less connections.

I acquire a new unit and get Benzninja to do the coding on it.

I also noticed, Xentry did not show any other codes save the Backup camera, which still works fine, but Thinktools shows M-Brace codes says internal ground and algorithm fault. I'm wondering if rain sensor is disrupting all sensors there? I also wonder why Xentry doesn't show them as well.

Also, appears all modules visual in topology. Unless old eyes and dyslexia are fooling me.

Anyway, thanks to all who helped, much appreciated.
Don't throw in the towel just yet!

You have a fault pointing to GND issue, right?

Go clean the poor footwell GND Posts. Either you pinpoint which W# it is or simply clean both sides for good measures.

Do disconnect BOTH BATTS while cleaning GND
(Driver side feeds SAM + ECU!)

Can you see inside you OCP if you read a bogus temperature.

M-Brace complaining is from the OCP Buttons getting disconnected.... no problem, reset!

Ultimately this may or may not fix your issue - It may be an issue with CAN/LIN involved around the OCP & Camera.
I still have the wonky OCP Temp but everything else ok with Stereo camera, DistronicPlus, Rain/light sensor.

✌️

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 10-18-2023 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2023 | 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
My Assistance Graphic does nothing, Everything is "Enabled" but it still says off at the top. The build sheet shows I have 258 Collis.Warn. Sys. w/Active Brake Interv. FCW Stop, 476 Automatic Lane Recognition. No Histrionic. Any clues?

At top it says "off" no matter if Distance Warning is enabled or disabled, no codes in Xentry or Thinktool. Thinktool actuation tests, distance does show up for Distance Warning if I am standing in front of car and does change if I move closer or farther away.
My car has the same features noted as yours, and the display looks the same. I believe without Distronic that this is the display you get as default. Nothing else. I.e., it's a placeholder graphic for Distronic in all cars (mine's a 2016), but doesn't display "interactive information" without Distronic.
Old 10-18-2023 | 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

no radar sensor
no distance measured
no display scale

off as in disabled??

Strange thing is the "OFF" - Any way to toggle ON through menu settings?

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 10-18-2023 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2023 | 06:07 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
Don't throw in the towel just yet!

You have a fault pointing to GND issue, right?

Go clean the poor footwell GND Posts. Either you pinpoint which W# it is or simply clean both sides for good measures.

Do disconnect BOTH BATTS while cleaning GND
(Driver side feeds SAM + ECU!)

Can you see inside you OCP if you read a bogus temperature.

M-Brace complaining is from the OCP Buttons getting disconnected.... no problem, reset!

Ultimately this may or may not fix your issue - It may be an issue with CAN/LIN involved around the OCP & Camera.
I still have the wonky OCP Temp but everything else ok with Stereo camera, DistronicPlus, Rain/light sensor.

✌️
It does say grounded internally in the code description. However, I will certainly check both grounds.

Old 10-18-2023 | 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

FAULT CITERIA TIPS

It does say grounded internally in the code description. However, I will certainly check both grounds.
This is a cryptic message misleading at best. For me this means an issue with power supply - Take it with a grain o' salt.

There's an oddity in this circuit that bites a lot of ppl most unknowingly. I think I am one of those with busted OCP Temp

Can you read the code setting criteria in your Xentry > that would provide us with advanced tips.
Old 10-18-2023 | 07:56 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
This is a cryptic message misleading at best. For me this means an issue with power supply - Take it with a grain o' salt.

There's an oddity in this circuit that bites a lot of ppl most unknowingly. I think I am one of those with busted OCP Temp

Can you read the code setting criteria in your Xentry > that would provide us with advanced tips.
Code definitions usually are cryptic, code setting conditions, TSBs, and redrawn wire diagrams, are a bigger help.

I hope Xentry does give code criteria, although I had to cut my session short, company. I should be able to give it a little investigative time tomorrow.

I may search for info online tonight too. I am still learning Xentry too.
Old 10-23-2023 | 07:32 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
no radar sensor
no distance measured
no display scale

off as in disabled??

Strange thing is the "OFF" - Any way to toggle ON through menu settings?
I tried toggling everything off. didn't change. Benzninja said fix rain sensor first. I did that, no change on graphic tho.

However, interesting discovery. In the data on my ThinkTool Pro, the distance and side variation readings never change, everything stays 2.14 yards away and -.13 from center, despite moving around in front of car in open area. So I drove car and observed, no cars in front of me and reading never changes, I tried resetting and these remain the same. I will see what the Benzninja makes of this tomorrow.

I think I see a bumper removal in my future. That's okay, I have a new lower grill that has been sitting on the shelf to install. Would be nice to add Distrionic Plus to the car while in there.

This so exciting...
CaliBenzDriver (10-23-2023)
Old 10-23-2023 | 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

nothing in bumper... ?

I tried toggling everything off. didn't change. Benzninja said fix rain sensor first. I did that, no change on graphic tho.

However, interesting discovery.
In the data on my ThinkTool Pro, the distance and side variation readings never change, everything stays 2.14 yards away and -.13 from center, despite moving around in front of car in open area.
So I drove car and observed, no cars in front of me and reading never changes, I tried resetting and these remain the same. I will see what the Benzninja makes of this tomorrow.

I think I see a bumper removal in my future. That's okay, I have a new lower grill that has been sitting on the shelf to install.
Would be nice to add DistronicPlus to the car while in there.

This so exciting...
I though everything was computed by the windshield camera and no bumper radars were in use in your car, right? Windshield camera is a solderless module, not friendly sealed 🙄

Distronic+ is fantastic but requires special compatibility from ESP, EPS, MFK, 3 Radars and a controller module (forget about it!)

++++ Nothing to loose: TAP-TAP TEST
Be curious do some tap-tap on the back of camera unplug/replug connector to exercise loose pins a little..

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 10-23-2023 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2023 | 08:47 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
I though everything was computed by the windshield camera and no bumper radars were in use in your car, right? Windshield camera is a solderless module, not friendly sealed 🙄

Distronic+ is fantastic but requires special compatibility from ESP, EPS, MFK, 3 Radars and a controller module (forget about it!)

++++ Nothing to loose: TAP-TAP TEST
Be curious do some tap-tap on the back of camera unplug/replug connector to exercise loose pins a little..
I thought so too, but non Distronic models have sensors in the bumper much like the rear sensors you are required to remove bumper and clean off periodically. According to my owners manual, on non-Distronic models, the windshield camera is responsible for lane recognition and the "Coffee Break" nanny. The bumper sensors for "Collision Assistance". But "tap tap test" on bumper sensors and camera while watching the distance readings might be interesting. At the least a reasonable ave.

Remember my Backup camera fault codes. Today while screwing with the front distance readings, the ESP, ESP off, and ABS, lights flashed simultaneously on and off once, and the backup screen flashed blank and back on. Either the scan tool did this, as I'd never seen it before, or having the scan tool connected caused the fault to show in a different way. Weird man...

I haven't done the cabin grounds yet, but am anxious to look at the backup cam module. I bet them pesky press fit pins lurk in there as well.

Like you said, soldering all these potential fault areas should help keep the electrical gremlins at bay, plus all the neat little preventative maintenance areas S-Prihadi shares. A lot of work ahead.
Old 10-23-2023 | 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2 radar + 1 Cam.

All right, so you do have two side close range radars hidden inside front bumper + windshield camera.
The bumper radars are known to soak rain thtough connectors and the bumper harness connector needs inspection for water damage as well.
You should be able to go read distances inside each radar module - If none are available the passenger side harness connector may be directly at play (same game in rear bumper).

I don't think rear cam is involved in the front watchdog.

Presumably when any of your front radars or camera detects a danger they call on the ESP to apply the wheel brakes automatically - That is a great feature!

My car slammed the brakes autonomously in traffic couple days ago when the car afront of me suddenly stopped. These has saved me from troubles many times because I drive more relaxed knowing my ride's abilities.

I'm pretty sure we'll get yours working again.

++++ harness access:
passenger plastic wheel well cover.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 10-23-2023 at 09:13 PM.
Rickman30 (10-23-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Assistance Graphic