E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Trying to get LAUNCH to code Euro ILS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2024 | 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
I know what vediamo is... Just not something I am interested right now

My Launch was cheaper than my Innova handheld so I will keep it. I mean $120 is not much for a code reader that this thing can do.
It change my ECO start/stop button to remember how I had it set last time (OFF) so that was worth the price right there as programmers were charging $500 for that - Crazy.

I do not know why you hate it so much but it does a lot for me @ $120....

IF I get it to program the headlights; great - if not oh well I got my money out of it already.
Plus it does real good reading the wife's Volvo codes and resetting.
Old 10-03-2024 | 07:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by ygmn
I know what vediamo is... Just not something I am interested right now

My Launch was cheaper than my Innova handheld so I will keep it. I mean $120 is not much for a code reader that this thing can do.
It change my ECO start/stop button to remember how I had it set last time (OFF) so that was worth the price right there as programmers were charging $500 for that - Crazy.

I do not know why you hate it so much but it does a lot for me @ $120....

IF I get it to program the headlights; great - if not oh well I got my money out of it already.
Plus it does real good reading the wife's Volvo codes and resetting.
I don't think forum member JettaRed is hating on the Launch, after all, he has one and also been recommending forum members about it. He also said (if I recalled correctly) he prefers it to even more advanced scanners with mucb higher prices and for the portability and when XENTRY isn't needed for his purpose.
Old 10-03-2024 | 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I don't think forum member JettaRed is hating on the Launch, after all, he has one and also been recommending forum members about it. He also said (if I recalled correctly) he prefers it to even more advanced scanners with mucb higher prices and for the portability and when XENTRY isn't needed for his purpose.
That's correct. I have been a big proponent of the LAUNCH Creader Elite BENZ (both the original and version 2.0 which I have) as good value for what it costs and does, but you need to know it's limits and that you can mess up settings with any of these aftermarket scanners. I keep the LAUNCH in both my cars just in case something goes whacky when I am taking a short road trip. So, if I take longer trips of a week or so, I will bring my SDS (XENTRY) along and hope I can get a good internet connection so BenzNinja can help me out.

Before getting a BenzNinja membership, I spent several thousand dollars on Autel MaxiDAS DS708 and DS808, iCarsoft MBII and iCarsoft MB V3, BlueDriver, Foxwell NT510 Elite, Carly,and LAUNCH Creader. I had also gotten bootlegged copies of XENTRY that had kludgy workarounds to make them work but was always a little nervous because of the antivirus warnings that would pop up. Some of these actually corrupted settings on my car and I had to fix things using XENTRY. I could have saved a lot of money had I known about BenzNinja early on. That is why I push the BenzNinja Club so much for folks new to DIY problem solving.

Today I just use the LAUNCH for detailed scanning and clearing codes. Be forewarned that if you get the multivehicle version of the LAUNCH scanner (CRP123X Elite 2.0), you will need to buy each car package separately and repurchase/subscribe annually. Otherwise, it will scan only 8 or 9 modules vs. ALL modules available (67 or more) with the BENZ version. Each person needs to decide for themselves what their level of expertise is, how much they can afford, and what risks they are willing to take. I only share what my experience has been.

One last comment about LAUNCH. I have a tune on my SL400 which LAUNCH doesn't recognize. So, when scanning the most important module, the ECU (N3/10), I can only read and clear codes. I cannot read live data streams or any configuration settings. However, XENTRY doesn't care and has no limitations, even with the Stage 2 file loaded. If I load the factory file, then I can see everything again with LAUNCH. The point being that with everything these aftermarket scanners can do, they cannot totally replace XENTRY.

Last edited by JettaRed; Today at 10:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JettaRed:
BenzNinja (10-03-2024), JCM_MB (10-03-2024)
Old 10-03-2024 | 01:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by JettaRed
That's correct. I have been a big proponent of the LAUNCH Creader Elite BENZ (both the original and version 2.0 which I have) as good value for what it costs and does, but you need to know it's limits and that you can mess up settings with any of these aftermarket scanners. I keep the LAUNCH in both my cars just in case something goes whacky when I am taking a short road trip. So, if I take longer trips of a week or so, I will bring my SDS (XENTRY) along and hope I can get a good internet connection so BenzNinja can help me out.

Before getting a BenzNinja membership, I spent several thousand dollars on Autel MaxiDAS DS708 and DS808, iCarsoft MBII and iCarsoft MB V3, BlueDriver, Foxwell NT510 Elite, and LAUNCH Creader. I had also gotten bootlegged copies of XENTRY that had kludgy workarounds to make them work but was always a little nervous because of the antivirus warnings that would pop up. Some of these actually corrupted settings on my car and I had to fix things using XENTRY. I could have saved a lot of money had I known about BenzNinja early on. That is why I push the BenzNinja Club so much for folks new to DIY problem solving.

Today I just use the LAUNCH for detailed scanning and clearing codes. Be forewarned that if you get the multivehicle version of the LAUNCH scanner (CRP123X Elite 2.0), you will need to buy each car package separately. Otherwise, it will scan only 8 or 9 modules vs. 44 modules with the BENZ version. Each person needs to decide for themselves what their level of expertise is, how much they can afford, and what risks they are willing to take. I only share what my experience has been.

One last comment about LAUNCH. I have a tune on my SL400 which LAUNCH doesn't recognize. So, when scanning the most important module, the ECU (N3/10), I can only read and clear codes. I cannot ready live data streams or any configuration settings. However, XENTRY doesn't care and has no limitations, even with the Stage 2 file loaded. If I load the factory file, then I can see everything again with LAUNCH. The point being that with everything these aftermarket scanners can do, they cannot totally replace XENTRY.
Appreciate your clarification and comparison of the other scanners.
Old Today | 10:36 AM
VII

2016 S65, 2014 SLK55 (Previous 2013 SLK350, 2008 CLS63, 2006 E350, 2006 CLS500, 2005 C230K)
Some Addtl Info

Some modules have access requirements to be able to alter coding, this involves a key system to raise the access level of the diagnostic connection. It is not a simple bug but rather the module rejecting the change, to edit that coding they need to implement a sequence to gain access.
From my experience with he similar ThinkDiag I've found they have implemented security access to ME, CPC, ESP but not headlights, so they are aware of MBs security implementation and have developed the sequences for what they perceived the most popular modules are. Maybe someday they'll do the headlights but for now there is no coding them with these.

Also a viable alternative if you don't want/need the whole Xentry setup is to go with one of the vendors here that do it with a $25 pass through, programing cost is likely the same but you don't have to buy $800 dlls of equipment.
Old Today | 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Originally Posted by VII
Some modules have access requirements to be able to alter coding, this involves a key system to raise the access level of the diagnostic connection. It is not a simple bug but rather the module rejecting the change, to edit that coding they need to implement a sequence to gain access.
From my experience with he similar ThinkDiag I've found they have implemented security access to ME, CPC, ESP but not headlights, so they are aware of MBs security implementation and have developed the sequences for what they perceived the most popular modules are. Maybe someday they'll do the headlights but for now there is no coding them with these.

Also a viable alternative if you don't want/need the whole Xentry setup is to go with one of the vendors here that do it with a $25 pass through, programing cost is likely the same but you don't have to buy $800 dlls of equipment.
I have two of those Passthru. One genuine and one knock off. its the Tactrix Open Port 2.
Avoid using this unstable units for important work , they tend to "hang".

Old Today | 11:10 AM
VII

2016 S65, 2014 SLK55 (Previous 2013 SLK350, 2008 CLS63, 2006 E350, 2006 CLS500, 2005 C230K)
Yes definitely not for flashing but coding is not a problem.