E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

E43 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes E220 w212 2014
E43 Exhaust

Hey, i am considering buying the E43, but i have read that it misses the "AMG sound". Is there any way to make it sound a lot better, maybe the Renntech blow off valves?
Old 05-05-2017, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
If you are trying to make a 6cyl sound like a V8, it's not going to happen.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:18 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Angry The Fake Sound of AMG

I've read that much of that "AMG sound" is reproduced by a speaker under the dash. So changing the sound should be merely a matter of changing the software. Soon, some aftermarket supplier will introduce such a gadget, maybe with a volume control. Then, customers can have as much AMG sound as they need. Or as little - if it has a mute, I might consider an E43. The present sound enhancement system cannot be turned off. There is no way I will drive a car with artificially enhanced sound. And few wives enjoy this sort of thing.

Mercedes spends a lot of money on making its cars as quiet as most people expect luxury cars to be. Inferior makes attempt to make their cars quieter the cheap way, with noise-cancellation. Does anyone else see the contradiction in making Mercedes cars noisier? Maybe the aftermarket gadget could even come with a microphone and noise-cancelling software. Then everyone could have their sound the way they want it. But then there would no longer be an authentic sound, a sound that could be called "the sound of the E43."
The following users liked this post:
Albert Bell (08-22-2020)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by gfmohn
I've read that much of that "AMG sound" is reproduced by a speaker under the dash. So changing the sound should be merely a matter of changing the software. Soon, some aftermarket supplier will introduce such a gadget, maybe with a volume control. Then, customers can have as much AMG sound as they need. Or as little - if it has a mute, I might consider an E43. The present sound enhancement system cannot be turned off. There is no way I will drive a car with artificially enhanced sound. And few wives enjoy this sort of thing.

Mercedes spends a lot of money on making its cars as quiet as most people expect luxury cars to be. Inferior makes attempt to make their cars quieter the cheap way, with noise-cancellation. Does anyone else see the contradiction in making Mercedes cars noisier? Maybe the aftermarket gadget could even come with a microphone and noise-cancelling software. Then everyone could have their sound the way they want it. But then there would no longer be an authentic sound, a sound that could be called "the sound of the E43."
Just a quick correction, the sound can be turned off. It is only "on" in sport+. In comfort mode the car is spooky quiet, only a distant tire sound. On the 63 there is a button to turn it on whenever you wish. The 63 button also opens the magic fart valves that allow a portion of the exhaust to bypass the muffler entirely for total neighbor annoyment. Furtheremore, the sound isnt fake, its miked in through the stereo. Its actually quiet nice! Does it sound like a v8? Of course not, but does the 63 sound like a V12? Shucks, then it must be crap!

Last edited by c4004matic; 05-10-2017 at 10:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by c4004matic:
Albert Bell (08-22-2020), sjp3003 (06-22-2022)
Old 05-11-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Just a quick correction, the sound can be turned off. It is only "on" in sport+. In comfort mode the car is spooky quiet, only a distant tire sound. On the 63 there is a button to turn it on whenever you wish. The 63 button also opens the magic fart valves that allow a portion of the exhaust to bypass the muffler entirely for total neighbor annoyment. Furtheremore, the sound isnt fake, its miked in through the stereo. Its actually quiet nice! Does it sound like a v8? Of course not, but does the 63 sound like a V12? Shucks, then it must be crap!
Now I remember. I read about the E43 sound enhancement system in the Motor Trend review, "2017 Mercedes-AMG E43 First Test Review: When AMG takes a Chill Pill," dated Feb. 17. MT wrote, "The engine and exhaust note sound aggressive, especially in Sport Plus mode, but we should note some of that noise is artificially amplified through speakers in the cabin (and cannot be defeated)." Perhaps MB has changed the system since then. What is your source?

I did assume that that the sound was synthesized. My mistake - the MT quote does say "amplified." I also assumed that the engine "roar" was reproduced through a dedicated speaker. Something about not even imagining that my symphonies would ever be competing with engine roar in the same speakers. Also, the drivers of the Burmester audio system in my C-class sound so tinny that I would expect that reproducing engine roar to fry them in short order.

I gather that you intend your comments about the 63 to show that "even" the 63 uses sound enhancement. Therefore, the E43 is in good company. Different strokes - as long as it can be turned off, I am okay.
Albert Bell (08-22-2020)
Old 05-11-2017, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by gfmohn
Now I remember. I read about the E43 sound enhancement system in the Motor Trend review, "2017 Mercedes-AMG E43 First Test Review: When AMG takes a Chill Pill," dated Feb. 17. MT wrote, "The engine and exhaust note sound aggressive, especially in Sport Plus mode, but we should note some of that noise is artificially amplified through speakers in the cabin (and cannot be defeated)." Perhaps MB has changed the system since then. What is your source?

I did assume that that the sound was synthesized. My mistake - the MT quote does say "amplified." I also assumed that the engine "roar" was reproduced through a dedicated speaker. Something about not even imagining that my symphonies would ever be competing with engine roar in the same speakers. Also, the drivers of the Burmester audio system in my C-class sound so tinny that I would expect that reproducing engine roar to fry them in short order.

I gather that you intend your comments about the 63 to show that "even" the 63 uses sound enhancement. Therefore, the E43 is in good company. Different strokes - as long as it can be turned off, I am okay.

No sweat, publications tend to be a little slight on details. I have also read that it has drilled rotors on all 4 wheels. Also incorrect, only the front rotors are perforated and not drilled, MB rotors are cast with the holes already in them.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:39 PM

2017 Mercedes AMG E43
is there a way to keep the exhaust valves open? Anyone try a mid muffler delete?
Albert Bell (08-22-2020)
Old 05-16-2017, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
The E 43 has no valves like the 63, I looked. The diifference from the 300 is 3 inch pipes and different mufflers. On the 63 you can actually see the valves just before the mufflers which are controlled by the button. Ergo what differentiates the 63 from the 43 is the on demand bypass valves. I believe they are otherwise the same. Same thing goes for the normal e63 and brakes though the 63 uses different calipers the brakes are the same size.The S has bigger brakes plus the option of carbon ceramics.

Last edited by c4004matic; 05-16-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:23 PM

E43
E43 amg sound

i will tell you one thing which is upto you to believe or not. There is no artificial sound coming from the cabin lol. I dont know how can even people such a thing!! I hear the sound all the time and it's coming from exhaust. If you want I will even post a video. The trick here is that since e43 doesn't have flaps that you can control manually, you will have to Rev up to hear the sound. The sound is loud and clear if you between two opaque objects such as another car and a divider. If you want to test it then try this :

Open up the amg menu (e43 2018)
Make sure you are in gear 3
Rev up around 5200 and release the gas pedal around 42-45 mph
Once you know how to produce the sound you can do it at different speeds. However, it's hard to produce anything over 70 mph.
Albert Bell (08-22-2020)