E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Buy-back. It's over. Sort of...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe
Buy-back. It's over. Really. It is!

I have been asked when the ordeal with my car is over to let you know in a new thread.

97 days ownership / 35 of those days in service.

MB USA called the current dealership that has my car today and instructed them to ,"Search for a replacement vehicle because we are buying his back."

I talked with them that maybe this model isn't the car for me and is something different possible? He said he would forward this info and would be in touch Monday.

Rick

Last edited by RickInHouston; 05-21-2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Update!
Old 05-05-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 E350
Sounds like your persistance may have paid off. Congrats.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:32 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
W212 E400
Get an E43 or a nice S550?
Old 05-05-2017, 10:57 PM
off

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Audi Q5 Hybrid
That is great news! Finally the right outcome for all of this aggravation. It was good the decision was made to get the car away from Star and to Greenway.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Glad they finally stepped up. They better take care of you for all the trouble you went through.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:23 AM

2017 E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by YasS
Get an E43 or a nice S550?
I love, love, loved my 2014 E350 (unfortunate I drove it into high water)!

What do you think about a 2017 E400 coupe? I think the current E is slightly too big a ride. Maybe they might do a better deal on an outgoing body style?

Last edited by RickInHouston; 05-07-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Stick with the same model that you have. Your car may have been an early model and most of the bugs are out of the later production cars.

The new coupe will have the usual new model bugs. Get an E300 similarly equipped to yours that is fresh off the boat.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by RickInHouston
I love, love, loved my 2017 E350 (unfortunate I drove it into high water)!

What do you think about a 2017 E400 coupe? I think the current E is slightly too big a ride. Maybe they might do a better deal on an outgoing body style?
Take a long HARD test drive in the 2017 E400 Coupe before you buy. If it is typically equipped with 18" AMG wheels and sport suspension, as nearly all of them are, it is a hard riding car compared to what I've been reading here about the E300.

The E400 Coupe is built on a modified C Class chassis - hence the model designation C207. It does handle well, but if you like a somewhat softer ride you won't find it in this model. Of course, a test drive will confirm your own opinion.

I love everything about my E350 coupe (same chassis as the E400 Coupe), except for the at times punishing ride on poor paving, of which we have an over-abundance around here. But everyone is different, so try before you buy.

Glad the outcome of your saga is apparently going to be a happy one.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by petee1997
Stick with the same model that you have. Your car may have been an early model and most of the bugs are out of the later production cars.

The new coupe will have the usual new model bugs. Get an E300 similarly equipped to yours that is fresh off the boat.
To clarify, Rick in Houston is considering the 2017 model E coupe, which as I'm sure you know is the last version of a model introduced in 2010 in the U.S. It's not a new model. The soon-to-be introduced 2018 of course is the new E coupe. Very different car entirely from the current E coupe.

FWIW, I have not had one single major problem with my 2012, although admittedly it has very low miles. My only complaint is the rough ride on poor surfaces, which translates to a rough ride nearly everywhere local. On the highway it's steady and composed.

I do agree with you to avoid the 2018 E Coupe first year teething pains. I wouldn't touch it either.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300?
Old 05-06-2017, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes C300
Unless they are offering you a legitimate smokin' deal on another Mercedes I'd be hard pressed not to think longgggg and hard about maybe switching brands. Not trying to be a downer or push you away from the brand but you have been to hell and back on this and all the time, stress, and aggravation is worth A LOT to me. So I wouldn't settle for something unless it's great. Again just my opinion. Good luck on whatever your choice!! And congrats on getting this far!!

Last edited by jdawg21; 05-06-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:51 PM

2017 E400 Coupe
I drove a BMW 3 series coupe for awhile (wife's hand me down) so I'm aware of rough rides!

I just think I might need a change. The C300 - I just can't get parst that screen hot glue-gunned to the dash! Just seems like a total afterthought!

I've always liked the old E coupe look.

If I decide to get another E sedan, might wait for a 2018. I'll figure something out for a couple of months.?.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:36 PM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 E300 4matic Sport
Rick,

Happy for you that it is "almost" over. Don't be gun shy with the E300. I have had zero problems with mine (January 2017 delivery) and unfortunately lemons do happen.

I had the opportunity to have a new BMW 540 loaner while my 535 was in for routine service and I was impressed. My wife thought the interior (saddle color) was very attractive. I agree! She dislikes my black seats with the black ash wood in my E. Don't agree.

Curious if the buyback is dependent on your getting another Benz as opposed to reimbursing you for all the $$$ you spent until actual buyback. BTW, the papers you will need to sign at buyback time will seem as if you are closing on a new house.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:29 AM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
I have been asked when the ordeal with my car is over to let you know in a new thread.

97 days ownership / 35 of those days in service.

MB USA called the current dealership that has my car today and instructed them to ,"Search for a replacement vehicle because we are buying his back."

I talked with them that maybe this model isn't the car for me and is something different possible? He said he would forward this info and would be in touch Monday.

Rick
Congrats again! Is the buyback contingent on a "replacement"?

I love, love, loved my 2017 E350 (unfortunate I drove it into high water)!
Wait, did you have an E300 or E350?

Originally Posted by jdawg21
Unless they are offering you a legitimate smokin' deal on another Mercedes I'd be hard pressed not to think longgggg and hard about maybe switching brands. Not trying to be a downer or push you away from the brand but you have been to hell and back on this and all the time, stress, and aggravation is worth A LOT to me. So I wouldn't settle for something unless it's great. Again just my opinion. Good luck on whatever your choice!! And congrats on getting this far!!
I'd have to agree. For all the torture and runaround and procrastination they have given Rick, I think they should give him a very sweet deal. If it is anything less, then I would definitely consider walking away from the brand too. They hit you where it hurts: embarrassment, headache, aggravation, stress, pain and suffering; so hit them where it hurts.

I've always liked the old E coupe look.

If I decide to get another E sedan, might wait for a 2018. I'll figure something out for a couple of months.?.
If I were you, I wouldn't "downgrade" back to a previous generation E; you had the newest E, so at least stick with that. And as someone mentioned, maybe they'll give you a good deal on a nice S550 or even an S450?

Yeah, by now the 2018 E's should be close to on their way to USA, so by the time your "buyback contract" is done, you should be able to choose one of them.

Either way, good luck on your choice. As I know you won't, don't take anything less than you feel you deserve. If you can negotiate aggressively, get something equal to or better than you turned in. If the buy-back offer is not for your full purchase price, then take the $ and walk.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:36 AM

2017 E400 Coupe
Sorry I was not clear. Mis typed. That was 2014 E350, not 2017 E350. I'll fix that.

I had, for 3 years, a 2014 E350 that I loved. I drove it into high water and flooded it. I was trying to pull over and wait for the rain but didn't know the neighborhood and kaboom. Dead engine.

I bought and had for 3 months a 2017 E300.

The message left on my phone certainly sounds like they are swapping car for car without any input from me. They said they would give me back any and all money spent for this car. They have not yet said that I must sign something saying for buy-back to happen you must do this as a condition of it all. How can they? I don't know. I'm in uncharted territory.

I am in the unique position of knowing the 2017 E better than most potential buyers on a day to day driving basis.

Quick thoughts for me, personally: The 2017 E drives noticeably bigger than my previous E's. More so that it bothers me, a bit. Running around town isn't as fun. It definitely feels like a touring freeway car which I don't do much of. I live urban-ly in Houston.

I like the button keypad in older Es. You can get around in the radio much faster with presets.

I really don't like the look of a tablet super-glued to the dash. Looks bad. 2017 C300 coupe and sedan - I'm talking about you

The new 2018 E coupe is going to be huge. It really doesn't make much sense to me. Then again, Mercedes can't base it on the C frame like in the past because then it would look exactly like a C300 coupe. There's not the difference in looks of a C, E or S like there used to be.

A 2017 has enough tech in it for me. New and different ride feel. It would feel like a new car to me. They might give me the best deal on this since there are quite a few on lots in and around Houston.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:47 AM

2017 E400 Coupe
mjsbenz - check your pm's.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Sorry I was not clear. Mis typed. That was 2014 E350, not 2017 E350. I'll fix that.

I had, for 3 years, a 2014 E350 that I loved. I drove it into high water and flooded it. I was trying to pull over and wait for the rain but didn't know the neighborhood and kaboom. Dead engine.

I bought and had for 3 months a 2017 E300.

The message left on my phone certainly sounds like they are swapping car for car without any input from me. They said they would give me back any and all money spent for this car. They have not yet said that I must sign something saying for buy-back to happen you must do this as a condition of it all. How can they? I don't know. I'm in uncharted territory.
Ahhh ok, makes sense now. You literally drove it into high water, lol. I thought you were being figurative.

Well if it sounds like they are doing a direct car-for-car swap, then what do they mean they are "giv[ing] back any and all money spent for this car"? Do they mean taxes/fees and any transportation costs to the dealership for service, etc?

And just like any lawsuit, settlement, or gag order, they'll probably make you sign a bunch of contracts and paperwork basically saying "once this buyback is over, Rick is not allowed to complain or bring up the issue or request another buyback related to this vehicle anytime in the future", etc. That's what I would assume.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:01 AM

2017 E400 Coupe
That's much of the information I tried to get out of the returned call. He clearly stated they will need to find out how much I have spent up to now and reimburse. I'm not thrilled about a simple swap.

Never has Star Motors apologized. I didn't really get a very good deal on the car in the first place and they know that. Like a friend keeps reminding me, "the buy-back isn't a gift, it's the right thing to do.". They do this sort of thing much more than the general public realizes. They lose NOTHING buying the car back. It will be at a dealership as a loaner. They need to make it right by offering you a great deal to stay with Mercedes."
Old 05-07-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Audi S6 / 2017 911 Targa 4 GTS
Never has Star Motors apologized. I didn't really get a very good deal on the car in the first place and they know that. Like a friend keeps reminding me, "the buy-back isn't a gift, it's the right thing to do.". They do this sort of thing much more than the general public realizes. They lose NOTHING buying the car back. It will be at a dealership as a loaner. They need to make it right by offering you a great deal to stay with Mercedes."
I just can't understand the reaction you got from them. I instigated a lemon buy-back against BMW in 2013 for a 550i I had that had a persistent issue. The dealer was nothing but helpful. The third time I took it back in for the same problem I noticed they marked my paperwork "3rd timer", because in CA 4 strikes and you're out re Lemon Law for non-safety issues. The fourth time the SA offered to print out the full case history to give to me to help in my dealings with corporate. They didn't care - lemon cars are not their problem, they're corporates. They don't pay for them. He felt it was in his interest to given me great customer service and be helpful so that I would consider buying another BMW. (I didn't, but that was more a function of me not liking where their product had headed than the dealership experience). As long as a dealer's service department is doing their job properly there is really nothing to be gained for them to try and side with the company.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
You would be very wrong to think they "lose nothing" by buying the car back. It will belong to Mercedes U.S. and will not be used as a loaner car at some dealership. Loaner cars are owned by the individual dealers and purchased new from Mercedes. It will be inspected, repaired, and sold at auction. If they have to brand the title it will be even more expensive.

They will lose the original profit they made selling the vehicle to the dealership and the profit the dealer made selling it to you. They will lose any fees and taxes they reimburse you in most states as well as any expenses. The depreciation on the resale will be 20% plus in most instances. Any re-purchase will cost the manufacturer thousands of dollars. Why people think these things are miraculously free is beyond me!
Old 05-08-2017, 08:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by JALLEN4
You would be very wrong to think they "lose nothing" by buying the car back. It will belong to Mercedes U.S. and will not be used as a loaner car at some dealership. Loaner cars are owned by the individual dealers and purchased new from Mercedes. It will be inspected, repaired, and sold at auction. If they have to brand the title it will be even more expensive.

They will lose the original profit they made selling the vehicle to the dealership and the profit the dealer made selling it to you. They will lose any fees and taxes they reimburse you in most states as well as any expenses. The depreciation on the resale will be 20% plus in most instances. Any re-purchase will cost the manufacturer thousands of dollars. Why people think these things are miraculously free is beyond me!
exactly what happened to my two Buybacks in 2014... went to auction ...

both were branded on carfax as buyback but not title
not lemoned

cannot issue warranty if lemon on title

benz
Old 05-08-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Exactly right. Rick's car will simply be auctioned off and become someone else's problem who thinks they're getting a "sweet deal".
Old 05-08-2017, 11:15 AM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
To Rick,

If MB is going to offer you an identical model swap (another E300), please take a LOT OF TIME to inspect every facet of your new car BEFORE you sign the final papers. I mean test EVERYTHING on the car and inspect EVERYTHING (interior and exterior finish, all electronics, all features and functions), because once you sign the final papers that's it. Just a suggestion.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
I would suggest you get a new build. These cars have been in production for a year and most of the bugs are out of recently built cars.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:55 AM

2017 E400 Coupe
I just got off the phone with the new dealership's salesman.

He was a freight train going 120 mph on rails. Swap it out. Pay the money. Boom.

Not so fast, P.J. If 'Mercedes wants to keep me in the family' (his words) then give me some sort of incentive for that. I then told him how my last four months went. I also told him the buy-back isn't a gift, it was the necessary / right thing to do.

I asked if they were offering incentives on other models. "We do extensive research and don't negotiate". I asked if I was disillusioned if I could walk to Audi or BMW - he needed to talk with MB USA. I asked if I could wait until the 2018's arrive - he didn't know and needed to talk with MB USA...

I've got to scratch and claw every damned step of this. I'm getting tired of being punched in the face.

Last edited by RickInHouston; 05-08-2017 at 01:13 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buy-back. It's over. Sort of...