E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Digital Dash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 10:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Volvo XC90
Digital Dash

Just curious if anyone that has the analog screen and wish they opted for the digital version. I know it's personal preference but I been going back and forth on this. I checked it out and really didn't feel I would play around with after that new feeling is gone.

The other side of me just thinks it looks so cool paired with the other screen. Do I risk possible delays waiting for the screen? Just something else to consider. Just looking for you all personal thoughts. Anyone unhappy with the digital display?
Old 12-22-2017, 02:01 AM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
I have a saying... What's the difference between a Motel 6 and a Four Seasons? Both provide the same basic function -- overnight accommodation. Both will rent you a room with a bed, TV, desk, and a bathroom equipped with a sink, toilet, and shower/tub. Why does the Four Seasons charge 10x as much as a Motel 6 -- the details. Obviously enough people seem to think there's enough of a difference, as the Four Seasons properties are still around and don't seem to be hurting for cash.

My car, taken with a 4+ year old phone camera, so you can see which way I voted...

vs.

Cheap-spec'd car with the analog gauges:

Note that the analog gauge model lacks lighting around the dash displays. What you also can't see in the photo of the analog gauges I posted here is how poorly-integrated it is. Instead of the sleek, unified all-glass panel, you get a cheap looking piece of black plastic, with a recessed entertainment screen and most objectionable -- a cheap, awkwardly shaped analog instrument cluster which sprouts out of the cheap black plastic like a wart. It looks terribly cheap and half-assed.

For what it's worth, here's a photo of a Mercedes concept car. THIS is what the designers had in mind. You can see the car was designed with the all-glass panel in mind and some pencil-pusher was looking for ways to cut costs, so they hastily borrowed the gauges from a C-class and stuck them on a cheap piece of plastic.

Let's be honest. There are plenty of cars which offer a lot more car for less money (larger engine, larger trunk, larger back seat). A fully-loaded VW Passat is $33k MSRP, a fully blown CC is $39k, and there are plenty of other competent cars in the $40k-$80k price range. For that matter, you can pick up a 2-year old Jag XJ/XJL for $38k. So why do people buy the W213 E-Class? The Interior. There's nothing else like it on the road, other than the S-Class.

I just picked up my '18 E300 with the Acoustic Comfort Package and P03 with the digital dash. I've put about 3,000 miles on loaner E300s with P01 and analog gauges and have put 250 miles on my new E. It's a night-and-day difference. The P01 (analog gauge) cars were nice; pleasant places to be in. BUT my P03 with the stitched dash & door panels, digital dash, and acoustic comfort package feels special. To be honest, it's much more of a difference than I was expecting.

The only other cars I've driven this year which felt special were the Jag XJ L I had as a loaner and a Bentley Flying Spur. Interestingly, I'd actually take my E300 over the XJ L or Flying Spur as a daily driver. Why? Again, it comes down to the details. Little things, like being able to close the trunk AND lock the car with a single button press on the trunk lid. This may seem insignificant, but in practice it's much easier than having to press the Close Boot button on the two British cars, only to have to walk around the the side of the car and lock the car with the door handle. Both the Jag and Bentley lacked Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Both the Jag and Bentley had great interiors which felt like they were lovingly put together, even if the designs were dubious such as on the Jag. Also, engineering was questionable on the Jag -- the rear-view camera is mounted on the apex of the rear bumper. If some idiot happens to tap your bumper when backing, there goes your camera. Both the XJ L and Spur certainly generated a ton of attention. Some may welcome this. I don't. This is where shoving an S-Class-like interior into a lowly E-Class (which looks like a C-Class to most untrained eyes) is absolutely brilliant.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:16 AM

Volvo XC90
Awesome post. Your excitement really came through along with great information. Thank you. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
2018 E300
Originally Posted by BeachBunny
I have a saying... What's the difference between a Motel 6 and a Four Seasons? Both provide the same basic function -- overnight accommodation. Both will rent you a room with a bed, TV, desk, and a bathroom equipped with a sink, toilet, and shower/tub. Why does the Four Seasons charge 10x as much as a Motel 6 -- the details. Obviously enough people seem to think there's enough of a difference, as the Four Seasons properties are still around and don't seem to be hurting for cash.

My car, taken with a 4+ year old phone camera, so you can see which way I voted...

vs.

Note that the analog gauge model lacks lighting around the dash displays. What you also can't see in the photo of the analog gauges I posted here is how poorly-integrated it is. Instead of the sleek, unified all-glass panel, you get a cheap looking piece of black plastic, with a recessed entertainment screen and most objectionable -- a cheap, awkwardly shaped analog instrument cluster which sprouts out of the cheap black plastic like a wart. It looks terribly cheap and half-assed.

For what it's worth, here's a photo of a Mercedes concept car. THIS is what the designers had in mind. You can see the car was designed with the all-glass panel in mind and some pencil-pusher was looking for ways to cut costs, so they hastily borrowed the gauges from a C-class and stuck them on a cheap piece of plastic.

Let's be honest. There are plenty of cars which offer a lot more car for less money (larger engine, larger trunk, larger back seat). A fully-loaded VW Passat is $33k MSRP, a fully blown CC is $39k, and there are plenty of other competent cars in the $40k-$80k price range. For that matter, you can pick up a 2-year old Jag XJ/XJL for $38k. So why do people buy the W213 E-Class? The Interior. There's nothing else like it on the road, other than the S-Class.

I just picked up my '18 E300 with the Acoustic Comfort Package and P03 with the digital dash. I've put about 3,000 miles on loaner E300s with P01 and analog gauges and have put 250 miles on my new E. It's a night-and-day difference. The P01 (analog gauge) cars were nice; pleasant places to be in. BUT my P03 with the stitched dash & door panels, digital dash, and acoustic comfort package feels special. To be honest, it's much more of a difference than I was expecting.

The only other cars I've driven this year which felt special were the Jag XJ L I had as a loaner and a Bentley Flying Spur. Interestingly, I'd actually take my E300 over the XJ L or Flying Spur as a daily driver. Why? Again, it comes down to the details. Little things, like being able to close the trunk AND lock the car with a single button press on the trunk lid. This may seem insignificant, but in practice it's much easier than having to press the Close Boot button on the two British cars, only to have to walk around the the side of the car and lock the car with the door handle. Both the Jag and Bentley lacked Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Both the Jag and Bentley had great interiors which felt like they were lovingly put together, even if the designs were dubious such as on the Jag. Also, engineering was questionable on the Jag -- the rear-view camera is mounted on the apex of the rear bumper. If some idiot happens to tap your bumper when backing, there goes your camera. Both the XJ L and Spur certainly generated a ton of attention. Some may welcome this. I don't. This is where shoving an S-Class-like interior into a lowly E-Class (which looks like a C-Class to most untrained eyes) is absolutely brilliant.

While I share 99.9% of your views on this I want to ask you. Did you somehow get a stitched dash with the AMG Line body or did you go Luxury Line? I was told only the Luxury Line comes with the stitched dash in the states. Which pissed me off to no end because I can't stand the Luxury Body on the E. The one AMG Line exception was the Designo Black/Grey quilted seating option but we couldn't get past the grey panels on the seats nor the grey leather dash panels. Had they gone with black leather and grey stitching for the seats and dash it would have been a slam dunk.

Also have you seen this making of video? Watch it from start to finish. It gives a great insight on the technology and design elements that went into our W213's.

You can see the different designs they had for the analog dash panels and while I can't stand the outcome either, they didn't do to horrible for the by-product of a bean counting, pencil pushing putz that undoubtedly caused this to become a reality. lol enjoy!
Old 12-22-2017, 09:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by NFAREVIEW
While I share 99.9% of your views on this I want to ask you. Did you somehow get a stitched dash with the AMG Line body or did you go Luxury Line? I was told only the Luxury Line comes with the stitched dash in the states. Which pissed me off to no end because I can't stand the Luxury Body on the E. The one AMG Line exception was the Designo Black/Grey quilted seating option but we couldn't get past the grey panels on the seats nor the grey leather dash panels. Had they gone with black leather and grey stitching for the seats and dash it would have been a slam dunk.

Also have you seen this making of video? Watch it from start to finish. It gives a great insight on the technology and design elements that went into our W213's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usbMzu1SpNw&t

You can see the different designs they had for the analog dash panels and while I can't stand the outcome either, they didn't do to horrible for the by-product of a bean counting, pencil pushing putz that undoubtedly caused this to become a reality. lol enjoy!
I’ve got an AMG-line P03 with the digital dash. I completely agree that it is night and day and worth the wait.

for the stitching, I did go bac and forth but in the end it doesn’t make that big of a difference. It’s a little detail that is nice, but there are many of those already and you’ll be to busy enjoying yourself to notice the lack of stitching as the dash is still soft to the touch and quite solid.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Can't comment on the mechanical dash, but I like the wealth of info (both analog and digital) available at my fingertips with the electronic dash in my 2018 E400C. I would have opted for the electronic version even if I had ordered the car rather than simply falling in love with it on the showroom floor.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:31 PM

Volvo XC90
Did anyone experience delays when ordering because of the screen? I would go with P02. Just would hate to wait longer than expected when I'm doing a delayed build already.

Last edited by Rone803; 12-22-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:37 PM

2018 E300
Originally Posted by Rone803
Did anyone experience delays when ordering because of the screen? I would go with P02. Just would hate to wait longer than expected when I'm doing a delayed build already.
Yes...We ordered our car on June 22nd and the GC on the dual screens held up our car till October. It was finally built end of November and is on a ship now. Over 6 months wait from start to finish because of a screen. Buy the E43 and it comes with the screens as standard equipment. lol
Old 12-23-2017, 01:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
I did wait, but it was so worth it. Imho, if you are ordering you should wait for the car to have all that you want. The only thing I skipped was the air suspension, and I don’t regret it at all.

I’d advise getting the digital dash. You won’t be disappointed.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:19 AM

Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by zorz

I did wait, but it was so worth it. Imho, if you are ordering you should wait for the car to have all that you want. The only thing I skipped was the air suspension, and I don’t regret it at all.

I’d advise getting the digital dash. You won’t be disappointed.
Thank you.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:52 AM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
I first sat in an AMG line E with black ash wood and the full digital display. Artico stitched dash topping. I thought it looked like a Bentley level of interior, a good couple classes up. I then sat in a basic model, analogue dials, plain dash and aluminium trim and it really felt far lower class. The little extras just lift a great cabin to be a really special one.

So digital dash all the way for me (some markets, mine included, come with basic nav. To have wide-screen you have to upgrade to COMAND which is 1500GBP and then 500 more for the wide-screen. COMAND not worth it, but the eye candy sure is!).
Old 12-23-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E-Class Estate (S213) SE 220D
I've waited 3 months to even get a build slot for my E-Class with the full digital dash. I was offered a quicker build without it, but I literally wouldn't have bought the car without it, that's how important it was to me. It makes the car's interior for me.

Originally Posted by Proeliator2001
I first sat in an AMG line E with black ash wood and the full digital display. Artico stitched dash topping. I thought it looked like a Bentley level of interior, a good couple classes up. I then sat in a basic model, analogue dials, plain dash and aluminium trim and it really felt far lower class. The little extras just lift a great cabin to be a really special one.

So digital dash all the way for me (some markets, mine included, come with basic nav. To have wide-screen you have to upgrade to COMAND which is 1500GBP and then 500 more for the wide-screen. COMAND not worth it, but the eye candy sure is!).
Paying for COMAND now includes widescreen cockpit.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
E300
The digital death is incredible. I’m still trying to learn all the options. I would say having driven the tester without it I think it just looks like something else was supposed to be there and didn’t get put in.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Just curious if anyone that has the analog screen and wish they opted for the digital version. I know it's personal preference but I been going back and forth on this. I checked it out and really didn't feel I would play around with after that new feeling is gone.

The other side of me just thinks it looks so cool paired with the other screen. Do I risk possible delays waiting for the screen? Just something else to consider. Just looking for you all personal thoughts. Anyone unhappy with the digital display?
Its my favorite interior design feature. In fact the analog one looks like a last minute kind of sloppy add on.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:37 AM

Volvo XC90
I decided to make the switch to P02. After telling the dealer this, he messages me 15 minutes later if the screen really that important. Looks like I'm in for a wait.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:00 AM

2018 E300
I decided to make the switch to P02. After telling the dealer this, he messages me 15 minutes later if the screen really that important. Looks like I'm in for a wait.
Tell him... "you go order a 70K car and tell me if it's important to get what you want"
Old 12-24-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic.
How do you get Radio Display over Nav Display?

BeachBunny,

Thanks.

Originally Posted by BeachBunny

vs.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
c class
Originally Posted by bellavance
BeachBunny,

Thanks.
has anyone managed to order the instrument cluster for a retrofit yet ? I have seen it done outside the USA
Old 12-25-2017, 11:33 AM

E300
BeachB under the main Comand screen go to settings on the right, go to displays and select the display options. There's a choice for "secondary" screen or something like that. The defultis dynamic. If you pick any of the other 3 (Nav, Clock, and I forgot the third) you get only that choice in that space no matter what's to the right. Since I have the nav in the dynamic display didn't need it a second time here.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:43 AM

2018 E300 4Matic.
Would you know what Dynamic does?

Found it. Would you know what Dynamic does?

Originally Posted by Latinnftl
BeachB under the main Comand screen go to settings on the right, go to displays and select the display options. There's a choice for "secondary" screen or something like that. The defultis dynamic. If you pick any of the other 3 (Nav, Clock, and I forgot the third) you get only that choice in that space no matter what's to the right. Since I have the nav in the dynamic display didn't need it a second time here.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:18 PM

E300
Originally Posted by bellavance
Found it. Would you know what Dynamic does?
my guess is that if the screen your own has content that would go there that’s informational to the screen Your on it will show. But I’m not certain.

Separarely i found in in the same section a choice for adjust ambient lighting linked to what looks like the drive screens in the driving cluster. I’m not sure what this choice does and the manual doesn’t have any info. I’m wondering if the ambient color changes with drive choice but again not sure.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:22 PM

2018 E300 4Matic.
Using Dynamic setting, I’ve never seen anything in the split screen.

Using Dynamic setting, I’ve never seen anything come up in the split screen.
Originally Posted by Latinnftl

my guess is that if the screen your own has content that would go there that’s informational to the screen Your on it will show. But I’m not certain.

Separarely i found in in the same section a choice for adjust ambient lighting linked to what looks like the drive screens in the driving cluster. I’m not sure what this choice does and the manual doesn’t have any info. I’m wondering if the ambient color changes with drive choice but again not sure.
​​​​​​​
Old 12-26-2017, 02:50 PM

Volvo XC90
Tell him... "you go order a 70K car and tell me if it's important to get what you want"
Talked to the dealer and was told that they are on backorder. So not sure how long this process will be.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:46 PM

E300
Finally found in the manual the notation about the ambient lighting adjusted to the display, but no explanation as to what that means and haven't yet noticed in the car when driving.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:06 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
There are actually quite a few ways to get the stitched dash on the E. ALL AMG cars come with it:
167 - Luxury Trim, includes U09 -- MB-Tex (ARTICO) upper dashboard and door trim topstitching ($0)
P62 - Designo Titanium Grey Pearl / Black Nappa Leather, includes U38 - Upper dashboard and door trim topstitching ($4,900)
P87 - Designo Macchiato Beige / Saddle Brown Nappa Leather, includes U38 - Upper dashboard and door trim topstitching ($4,900)
621 - (E43 AMG) - MBTex/Dinamica - Black w/red topstitching ($0)
861 - (E43 AMG) - Black Nappa Leather w/black topstitching ($2,990)
864 - (E43 AMG) - Nut Brown / Black Nappa Leather w/black topstitching ($2,990)
865 - (E43 AMG) - Macchiato Beige / Black Nappa Leather w/black topstitching ($2,990)
554 - (E63 S AMG) Nut Brown / Black Exclusive Nappa Leather w/black topstitching ($0)
555 - (E63 S AMG) Macchiato Beige / Black Exclusive Nappa Leather w/black topstitching ($0)
561 - (E63 S AMG) Black Exclusive Nappa Leather w/silver topstitching ($0)

Is the topstitching worth $4,900? No... BUT combine that with the digital dashboard and it does truly elevate the interior to the next level. I've already put 500 miles on my car and truly appreciate the interior.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Digital Dash