Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W213)
Regular or Premium Gas >

Regular or Premium Gas

Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

Regular or Premium Gas

Old 01-12-2018, 08:00 PM

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
e300
Regular or Premium Gas

Do you put regular or premium gas? I am getting mixed review, I believe the E300 is recommended to take premium gas but does not need to.... besides the few bucks and the regular reasons. is it really necessary to use premium on a 4cyl?
Old 01-12-2018, 08:49 PM

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
2017 E300, 2019 GLC 300
Originally Posted by jhpmbusa View Post
Do you put regular or premium gas? I am getting mixed review, I believe the E300 is recommended to take premium gas but does not need to.... besides the few bucks and the regular reasons. is it really necessary to use premium on a 4cyl?

I think there will be a temp effect. Last week here in the Northeast it was brutally cold. My car (2017 E300) had no issues I only use premium gas. My wife's car (2016 GLC 300) ran a little rough till very warm and starting was rough too. She "cheats" on the gas.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:24 PM

Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
2017 E300, P2, 19" AMG wheels, piedmont green, nut brown leather
I'm only using premium in my E300 because I think forced induction engines, especially small displacement ones, work very hard all the time. Especially in hot weather, I think premium fuel is important.

Also, if I read it right, Mercedes says premium fuel is required versus some cars which say premium fuel is recommended. (My Chrysler 300c was premium fuel recommended, so I used it only in hot weather...)

Given that premium fuel is required, I would hate to be in a situation where there is an engine issue and there is a question about warranty coverage because premium fuel wasn't used. So - cheap insurance.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:56 AM

Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
2018 E300 P2 & 2015 ML350
This discussion has appeared in the past...more than once.

Octane is a fuel's ability to resist "knock", which is the explosion of the air/fuel mix by compression rather than by spark. Higher compression gasoline engines generally require higher octane fuels to help prevent this pre-ignition. Lots of engineering went into developing and making your car's engine meet all of the customer and marketplace demands, such as horsepower, torque and 0 to 60 times, not to mention fuel economy; political and environmental regulations such as ethanol in this country; and the variations in fuels throughout the world, such as no European equivalent to 87 Octane Regular (they calculate Octane differently). The engineers concluded that Premium grade fuel was best.

Having said that, you might get away with using 89 Mid Grade, but I would not recommend using 87 Octane Regular. The car wasn't engineered for it, and must use the engine management and anti-knock systems to compensate for the lower octane fuel. Who knows what the long term effect is on your "expensive" car, or even the day-to-day change in performance. I mean, you didn't buy a Kia, you bought a Mercedes. Maybe it's not worth saving a couple of bucks. What do others think?
The following 2 users liked this post by Cao Black:
Cambridgehank (03-10-2018), Lanzz (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 04:01 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E350
Driving a $65 - 75,000 car that get great gas mileage deserves premium. Gas prices shouldn't really be a factor
Old 01-13-2018, 10:09 AM

Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
2018 E300
Originally Posted by Cao Black View Post
This discussion has appeared in the past...more than once.

Octane is a fuel's ability to resist "knock", which is the explosion of the air/fuel mix by compression rather than by spark. Higher compression gasoline engines generally require higher octane fuels to help prevent this pre-ignition. Lots of engineering went into developing and making your car's engine meet all of the customer and marketplace demands, such as horsepower, torque and 0 to 60 times, not to mention fuel economy; political and environmental regulations such as ethanol in this country; and the variations in fuels throughout the world, such as no European equivalent to 87 Octane Regular (they calculate Octane differently). The engineers concluded that Premium grade fuel was best.

Having said that, you might get away with using 89 Mid Grade, but I would not recommend using 87 Octane Regular. The car wasn't engineered for it, and must use the engine management and anti-knock systems to compensate for the lower octane fuel. Who knows what the long term effect is on your "expensive" car, or even the day-to-day change in performance. I mean, you didn't buy a Kia, you bought a Mercedes. Maybe it's not worth saving a couple of bucks. What do others think?
What do I think? I think I'm happy you wrote all that so I didn't have to! Perfect explanation! Thanks! It amazes me how far people get in life without simple knowledge of engines. I grew up learning with my hands, not sitting inside wasting away in front of a TV. I rebuilt my first car engine at 16. I just see the world mechanically I guess and surround myself with like minded individuals. So, as stated before. It's not a KIA. It's a Mercedes Benz. If 40 cents per gallon breaks the bank, you bought the wrong car.

(I don't feel like being politically correct today, don't take my statements personal. I'm saying it how it is)
The following users liked this post: NFAREVIEW
makris0000 (01-14-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 10:56 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
W213 Sport
When you look at the gas tank cap, you will see minimum octane is 91, and US only has 93 that's above that, so it should be Premium all the time imo.
Fuel you tank with lower gasoline grade will decrease the performance of the car as well as MPG.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:53 PM

Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
One interesting development that affects the need for high octane fuel is direct injection, such as the 3.6 liter V-6 GM has used in its 2008 and later Cadillac CTS. Although that engine has a compression ratio of 11.3 to 1, it runs smoothly on 87 octane fuel.
http://autoweek.com/article/technolo...oweek-explains
The following users liked this post: The_Judge
Deskramp1 (01-15-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Liked 60 Times in 50 Posts
....19 CLS53, 18 E43
I'm told you save nothing using 87 octane because your fuel efficiency decreases. In the end, what you saved on the fill up , you gave back on the distance covered. There is no point reinventing the wheel. If the car was designed by some of the best engineers in the world for 91 octane, suck it up and use 91 octane.
The following users liked this post: petee1997
Cao Black (01-13-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 08:59 PM

Liked 30 Times in 27 Posts
2017 E300
Just use what is recommended. Don't be cheap.
The following users liked this post: makris0000
The_Judge (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Liked 351 Times in 314 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by petee1997 View Post
I'm told you save nothing using 87 octane because your fuel efficiency decreases. In the end, what you saved on the fill up , you gave back on the distance covered. There is no point reinventing the wheel. If the car was designed by some of the best engineers in the world for 91 octane, suck it up and use 91 octane.
The btu content of regular and super/premium is the same. Fuel efficiency will only decrease if the engine detects knocking and retards the timing. If the timing isn't retarded, the gas mileage should be the same. As others mentioned, the octane rating is only the ability of the gasoline to avoid pre-detonation has nothing to do with the energy content of the fuel. E10 and E85 will give you worse gas mileage because ethanol has a lower btu content than gasoline.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:11 PM

Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
2018 E300 P2 & 2015 ML350
Originally Posted by cetialpha5 View Post
The btu content of regular and super/premium is the same. Fuel efficiency will only decrease if the engine detects knocking and retards the timing. If the timing isn't retarded, the gas mileage should be the same. As others mentioned, the octane rating is only the ability of the gasoline to avoid pre-detonation has nothing to do with the energy content of the fuel. E10 and E85 will give you worse gas mileage because ethanol has a lower btu content than gasoline.
Good points...but how do you know that your timing isn't being retarded? The engine doesn't have to be "dieseling" for the sensors to react. Plus we really haven't addressed the issue of turbo chargers (or superchargers) forcing more air into the cylinders, which increases pressure and contributes to the need to have fuel which won't pre-detonate. Best to use what the manufacturer recommends.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Liked 60 Times in 50 Posts
....19 CLS53, 18 E43
Originally Posted by cetialpha5 View Post
That may explain the better mileage. Shell 91 octane in Canada has no alcohol where as the 89 and 87 can have as much as 10%. Shell is the fuel I use.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Liked 351 Times in 314 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
A gallon of gasoline is about 114,000 btu's whereas a gallon of ethanol is 76,100. So a gallon of E10 is about 110,000 btu's per gallon. It's why E85 normally doesn't make sense unless you're in the corn belt, the cost per btu price is higher even though the cost per gallon may be lower than gas.