E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

E400 Trailer Hitch (USA) Possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW m235i conv., Audi SQ5
E400 Trailer Hitch (USA) Possible?

When I ask about the possibility of adding a trailer hitch to a new 2018 E400 wagon at the dealer, I get a response as though the salesman could lose his job for even pretending he heard the question. If I had the parts sent from Europe, regardless of cost, the dealer would not even consider installing one.

So, having the cargo space of a wagon as nice as the E400 is offset by the possible likelihood I wouldn’t be able to tow a small trailer (small meaning enough to pull a 14’ sailboat or a motorcycle). Seems kind of foolish considering a small crossover like a GLC is no more capable of the task, or getting the kids to a soccer game with one installed.

i am no expert mechanic, but had no trouble installing a hitch on a Jetta Sportwagen (which I’d still be driving had VW not defrauded their customers and cheated on emissions testing). But either appropriate attachment points are not readily available, or companies like Curt or Drawtite can’t envision putting a $150 hitch onto an $80,000 car.

My question is, does anyone in the US make a hitch that a competent DIYer could install in a few hours without costly (specialized) tools? Or has anyone found someone who could reasonably fabricate one? It would be helpful if it could also be removed when the time came to sell the car, or reduce the likelihood of warranty denial that could be blamed on its existence.

This seemingly small issue is about the only thing keeping me from purchasing the E400 (or the E63 S if I won the lottery). Money is not a major concern, but I’m not willing to spend several thousand dollars on a hitch (or a matte grey paint job). If I can’t find a hitch, my current alternative is an Audi SQ5 which doesn’t look nauseatingly like an SUV.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:32 AM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Tow bars as they are called in the UK are quite normal on the e class estate. I have a 220d on order with a factory fitted ordered at a rather expensive 1100euro v 650 pounds if the car is ordered in the UK.
They are fully electronic which is nice no getting dirty or having to kneel on wet ground to install or remove and they are fully integrated with the cars safety system. That is I think what makes them increasingly difficult for the after fit market.

I have had a quick search though and it seems there is are several after fit OEM towbars for the e sedan at least and I would expect the estate too. I looked at www.etowbars.com. they have a contact us facility so should be able to give some advice and also let you know if they can ship stateside. Another site www.pfjones.co.uk had interesting info re hooking up the electrics to avoid warranty issues.

am sure you can achieve what you want but I do recall the most knowledgeable and experienced Vic Viper indicating additional coolers were reqd with a tow bar. Am not technical so am not sure if it was oil or radiator but suspect the after fit bods will know. Bonnie chance (good luck) in your search.
The following users liked this post:
tarsands (04-07-2019)
Old 05-17-2018, 04:34 AM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Tow bars as they are called in the UK are quite normal on the e class estate. I have a 220d on order with a factory fitted ordered at a rather expensive 1100euro v 650 pounds if the car is ordered in the UK.
They are fully electronic which is nice no getting dirty or having to kneel on wet ground to install or remove and they are fully integrated with the cars safety system. That is I think what makes them increasingly difficult for the after fit market.

I have had a quick search though and it seems there is are several after fit OEM towbars for the e sedan at least and I would expect the estate too. I looked at www.etowbars.com. they have a contact us facility so should be able to give some advice and also let you know if they can ship stateside. Another site www.pfjones.co.uk had interesting info re hooking up the electrics to avoid warranty issues.

am sure you can achieve what you want but I do recall the most knowledgeable and experienced Vic Viper indicating additional coolers were reqd with a tow bar. Am not technical so am not sure if it was oil or radiator but suspect the after fit bods will know. Bonnie chance (good luck) in your search.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
s213 E 450
Added on w213 Hitch.

Originally Posted by JasCooper
When I ask about the possibility of adding a trailer hitch to a new 2018 E400 wagon at the dealer, I get a response as though the salesman could lose his job for even pretending he heard the question. If I had the parts sent from Europe, regardless of cost, the dealer would not even consider installing one.

So, having the cargo space of a wagon as nice as the E400 is offset by the possible likelihood I wouldn’t be able to tow a small trailer (small meaning enough to pull a 14’ sailboat or a motorcycle). Seems kind of foolish considering a small crossover like a GLC is no more capable of the task, or getting the kids to a soccer game with one installed.

i am no expert mechanic, but had no trouble installing a hitch on a Jetta Sportwagen (which I’d still be driving had VW not defrauded their customers and cheated on emissions testing). But either appropriate attachment points are not readily available, or companies like Curt or Drawtite can’t envision putting a $150 hitch onto an $80,000 car.

My question is, does anyone in the US make a hitch that a competent DIYer could install in a few hours without costly (specialized) tools? Or has anyone found someone who could reasonably fabricate one? It would be helpful if it could also be removed when the time came to sell the car, or reduce the likelihood of warranty denial that could be blamed on its existence.

This seemingly small issue is about the only thing keeping me from purchasing the E400 (or the E63 S if I won the lottery). Money is not a major concern, but I’m not willing to spend several thousand dollars on a hitch (or a matte grey paint job). If I can’t find a hitch, my current alternative is an Audi SQ5 which doesn’t look nauseatingly like an SUV.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Added on w213 Hitch.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:29 PM

s213 E 450
5k lb. Hitch - W213 Estate

(e450 Wagon)

Last edited by Fedcomprop; 12-17-2019 at 01:41 PM.
sp s (07-14-2020)
Old 12-17-2019, 01:31 PM

s213 E 450

Old 12-17-2019, 01:33 PM

s213 E 450

sp s (07-14-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 E 450 Wagon (S213)
Class 2/3 hitch for Thule t2 rack

Originally Posted by Fedcomprop

(e450 Wagon)
@fedxomprop can you advise what tongue weight that hitch is rated for? Was it custom or an off the shelf model that you had installed? I need to mount a 4-tray Thule T2 bike rack and am having an issue locating anything above a class 1 receiver (outside Stealth Hitch).
Kejad (11-03-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 11:19 PM

s213 E 450
Originally Posted by BK450
@fedxomprop can you advise what tongue weight that hitch is rated for? Was it custom or an off the shelf model that you had installed? I need to mount a 4-tray Thule T2 bike rack and am having an issue locating anything above a class 1 receiver (outside Stealth Hitch).
Custom. It is a 5000 lb hitch that has had over 600lbs of weight on the tongue. We also tow an Airstream trailer with it. Eckhart Hitch in the north Los Angeles area has built all of our hitches including this one built at their Oxnard shop.

Last edited by Fedcomprop; 10-31-2020 at 12:20 AM.
Kejad (11-03-2020)