Side mirrors obscure view on turns - MBWorld.org Forums

Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W213)
Side mirrors obscure view on turns >

Side mirrors obscure view on turns

Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

Side mirrors obscure view on turns

Old 01-11-2019, 03:39 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: los angeles ca
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SL 550
Side mirrors obscure view on turns

Just got a new 2019 E300 after having a 2016 E350. Love the new car except for one glaring design failure - the placement of the side view mirrors. The mirror housings literally block any view of the side of the road ahead when turning - worse on left turns but true on right turns as well.
I've tried adjusting the seats, mirrors, etc but no help. Its especially bad when turning left onto a road that has a curb on the left side of the lane you are turning into as you cannot see that curb at all. I can't believe MB could have such a significant defect that has not been noticed by its customers.
Any thoughts appreciated.
onedae is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:21 PM
  #2  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 CLS550, 2018 E400 Wagon
I thought I was the only one bothered by this. Same situation with our CLS - between the A pillar and left side mirror there is a big area to the left I can't see well.


Last edited by allfortheunion; 01-12-2019 at 12:07 AM.
allfortheunion is online now  
Old 01-11-2019, 07:36 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario,Canada
Posts: 1,410
Thanked 48 Times in 43 Posts
....19 CLS53, 18 E43
It's a design flaw and it does not matter if you are tall or short, your view is obstructed when turning. It's caused by a higher belt line than the previous model.
petee1997 is online now  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:31 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Cao Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 350
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
2018 E300 P2 & 2015 ML350
Definitely a problem. Would love to hear from coupe and cab owners about mirrors mounted on the doors rather than in the corner of the side windows.
Cao Black is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 01:17 PM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Hermosa Beach, California
Posts: 199
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
I find it to be a problem only when I'm going uphill on a narrow road near my home when making a right turn onto an even narrower alley that slopes downhill. Maybe the driver's height has something to do with it? I'm 5'11".
The_Judge is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 02:56 PM
  #6  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 614
Thanked 94 Times in 83 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2012 SLK350
2018 coupe. No perceived blockage of view. Also 5'11"
teksurv is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 03:27 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Cao Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 350
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
2018 E300 P2 & 2015 ML350
Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
I find it to be a problem only when I'm going uphill on a narrow road near my home when making a right turn onto an even narrower alley that slopes downhill. Maybe the driver's height has something to do with it? I'm 5'11".
Seat height and driving position as well IMO. I like to sit a little lower and with me legs extended rather than as if sitting in a chair with knees bent. On left turns where there is a curb it's nearly impossible to see it throughout the turn.
Cao Black is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 07:30 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,026
Thanked 251 Times in 209 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Guess there's something wrong with me. I've not noticed any issue with turns and the side mirrors blocking my view at all. I tend to sit higher and I'm 5'9" and getting shorter every year
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 07:42 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 1,942
Thanked 210 Times in 183 Posts
.
I have no visibility issues. I drive with the seat not quite as low as it will go and as far back it will go. I wish that there was 2" more leg room for the driver. I'm slightly less than a 6 footer who is also getting shorter each year size with a 32" inseam. I drive in an Italian arms out style for better steering control.
ua549 is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 07:57 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,026
Thanked 251 Times in 209 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
I have no visibility issues. I drive with the seat not quite as low as it will go and as far back it will go. I wish that there was 2" more leg room for the driver. I'm slightly less than a 6 footer who is also getting shorter each year size with a 32" inseam. I drive in an Italian arms out style for better steering control.
Every bit I lose in height, I seem to add to my girth! Getting older isn't for the faint of heart. No it's not!!
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 02:54 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Cao Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 350
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
2018 E300 P2 & 2015 ML350
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
Guess there's something wrong with me. I've not noticed any issue with turns and the side mirrors blocking my view at all. I tend to sit higher and I'm 5'9" and getting shorter every year
Shorter? That's weird. I'm pretty sure I'm getting taller. I know this because I can no longer bend at the waist and place my hands flat on the floor, and the only possible explanation for this is that my legs must be getting longer.
Cao Black is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 03:32 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 42
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan and 2018 E300 Sedan. 2015 S550 gone.
Originally Posted by petee1997 View Post
It's a design flaw and it does not matter if you are tall or short, your view is obstructed when turning. It's caused by a higher belt line than the previous model.

Indisputable. Sit in any other MB sedan and you'll see the problem with the E immediately. Aside from that however, it is one great ride.
Vallie123 is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 06:52 AM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 77
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
E Class Estate S213
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
Guess there's something wrong with me. I've not noticed any issue with turns and the side mirrors blocking my view at all. I tend to sit higher and I'm 5'9" and getting shorter every year
Iím with you - not noticed any issues at all and I came over from a BMW X5 which also had great visibility. Perhaps itís just seating position?
JDPEClassUK is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 07:48 AM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 63
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
E250
Originally Posted by JDPEClassUK View Post


Iím with you - not noticed any issues at all and I came over from a BMW X5 which also had great visibility. Perhaps itís just seating position?
Same here. I drive a RHD W213 and the visibility good.
mister__p is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:21 AM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,026
Thanked 251 Times in 209 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Cao Black View Post
Shorter? That's weird. I'm pretty sure I'm getting taller. I know this because I can no longer bend at the waist and place my hands flat on the floor, and the only possible explanation for this is that my legs must be getting longer.
"Waiter, I'll have what he's having!" LMAO
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:27 AM
  #16  
Member
 
Tom T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 136
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
2017 E300
Coming straight from w211 which the side mirrors are right on the doors I find this annoying also. Every time I'm turning left I can not see the median. I guess it's the only way for Mercedes to accomplish the folding side mirror design.
Tom T is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 06:16 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 270
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500. Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2
ive almost ran over 4 people, the belt line being higher and windows smaller is a big issue on this car. I can t see the curb when making a right hand turn. I am 6'2 and this cars got a huge blind spot problem.
Mbracer26 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 06:22 AM
  #18  
Member
 
BF3PDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 188
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
E class, C class
Originally Posted by Tom T View Post
Coming straight from w211 which the side mirrors are right on the doors I find this annoying also. Every time I'm turning left I can not see the median. I guess it's the only way for Mercedes to accomplish the folding side mirror design.
I too am coming straight from the W211 and I have the same issue with the mirrors obscuring my view when I am about to turn into the side street.
BF3PDZ is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 09:56 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
nycebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 335
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
No issues whatsoever. I'm 6'1" and sit on the bottom, with no blockage. If you're shorter, the recommendation is to raise the seat and adjust the steering wheel. Make your seat higher so that your head is near the ceiling. I notice way too many people sit way too low.

As or the mirrors themselves, do this: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-blind-spots/
nycebo is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 12:24 PM
  #20  
Member
 
CaptainE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 179
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
2019 E450 one of these days
Originally Posted by nycebo View Post
No issues whatsoever. I'm 6'1" and sit on the bottom, with no blockage. If you're shorter, the recommendation is to raise the seat and adjust the steering wheel. Make your seat higher so that your head is near the ceiling. I notice way too many people sit way too low.

As or the mirrors themselves, do this: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-blind-spots/
I have been doing this for 30+ years. If adjusted properly there is no blindspot and you can watch a passing car go from the rear view mirror, to the left side mirror, to being next to you in your peripheral vision.
There is a lot lacking in our driver training in this country. (USA)
CaptainE is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 12:50 PM
  #21  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 CLS550, 2018 E400 Wagon
Originally Posted by CaptainE View Post
I have been doing this for 30+ years. If adjusted properly there is no blindspot and you can watch a passing car go from the rear view mirror, to the left side mirror, to being next to you in your peripheral vision.
There is a lot lacking in our driver training in this country. (USA)
That's not what this discussion is about - its about an obstructed view of the median when making a left hand turn onto a divided road.
allfortheunion is online now  
Old 01-14-2019, 12:54 PM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,026
Thanked 251 Times in 209 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
And I still don't get it. I was paying extra attention this morning and simply don't have any issues with seeing where I'm going when turning right or left. It may be because my seat position if pretty high, but I just don't quite get this thread, tbh. If someone has an issue with visibility, this is why Mercedes seats are extremely adjustable. If you can't see, adjust your seats so you can see.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 01-14-2019 at 03:32 PM.
rbrylaw is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to rbrylaw For This Useful Post:
nycebo (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 01:53 PM
  #23  
Member
 
CaptainE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 179
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
2019 E450 one of these days
Originally Posted by allfortheunion View Post


That's not what this discussion is about - its about an obstructed view of the median when making a left hand turn onto a divided road.
Good mediating.


CaptainE is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 02:05 PM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
joshg1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,877
Thanks: 0
Thanked 35 Times in 31 Posts
2017 E300
I haven't noticed anything beyond the normal obstruction I also get from other cars. Im 6 ft and also sit higher so I can see over the mirror.
joshg1001 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 02:28 PM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
joshg1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,877
Thanks: 0
Thanked 35 Times in 31 Posts
2017 E300
Btw the drivers side mirror is already shorter Iím horizontal length than the passenger mirror so they did try to design it against blind spots
joshg1001 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Side mirrors obscure view on turns


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: