E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2021 E450 Dash Cam - Automatic Recording ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 E450
2021 E450 Dash Cam - Automatic Recording ?

I just took delivery of a 2021 E450 Sedan which I ordered from the factory with option 21U Dashcam. It is not possible to have the dashcam automatically activate each time I start my car. Instead, I have to find the appropriate screen and activate recording each time I start the car.

Per the dealer, the automatic start option is illegal. This is odd for 2 reasons: First, I've seen Youtube video's in which the automatic start is on a menu selection (the video might have been made in the UK because the narrator has a British accent)....and second, every aftermarket dashcam I've seen has the automatic start feature.

Does anyone have any information about this? Is it only illegal in some states, but MB has therefore eliminated this as a possibility for all states? Is it a possible future upgrade?
The following users liked this post:
nycebo (08-24-2022)
Old 01-29-2021, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Welcome please post picture of your ride. I know I would not buy that option if I had to activate each time I get into car. I have an after market that records as soon as I put my hand on the car handle. Yours would be a pain in the A-- to have. See if there is someone that reprogram it to go on automatically. Sorry to hear and am interested to see what you find out.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:22 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2021 GLC43; 2014 CLS 550/C218; 2012 E350/C207
21U Dash Cam POS

For what its worth , I have a 2021 GLC43 with the dash cam option(21U) and had the same issue, U must initiate each time, solved my problem, the D** thing stopped working completely! At first it was intermittent then it would post "Camera not Available" now it doesn't show up at all. Had it at the dealer yesterday, all day, no answers claim its too new in the US, claimed they spoke to Germany. Want me to being it back for a week so they can interact with the "engineers" in Germany. If interested I will update, will probably take it in two weeks from now if I can get a nice MB loaner. On one of the other threads a person from China said their "GLE53 came with dash cam built in and automatically begins recording when I turn on the car". So who knows?
4/25/21 UPDATE:
Car goes in May 3rd for a week(?) for them to diagnose the dash cam problem. I'm going to push to get my $200 back if they can't fix the problem, and get it to start recording when the ignition is turned on... We'll see, will update.

Last edited by bsaz; 04-25-2021 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Update!
Old 05-19-2021, 02:46 PM

Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts
2021 GLE 450
I had the same experience as you but after reading your post I figured my dealer wouldn't be any better so I took to the trouble of troubleshooting it myself. Long story short do NOT use the Mercedes-Benz supplied USB to USB-C adapter. It causes the dashcam software to disappear from the apps. Buy a new USB-C from AMZN or BBY etc. Once you start the engine in about a minute the DashCam will appear in your apps. If you have created a Record shortcut as described in one of the other threads it will start recording. You will see the filename briefly displayed followed by a red dot on the home screen.
The following 3 users liked this post by kvelez:
bsaz (05-19-2021), jtjbt20x (05-21-2021), nycebo (08-24-2022)
Old 05-19-2021, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by kvelez
I had the same experience as you but after reading your post I figured my dealer wouldn't be any better so I took to the trouble of troubleshooting it myself. Long story short do NOT use the Mercedes-Benz supplied USB to USB-C adapter. It causes the dashcam software to disappear from the apps. Buy a new USB-C from AMZN or BBY etc. Once you start the engine in about a minute the DashCam will appear in your apps. If you have created a Record shortcut as described in one of the other threads it will start recording. You will see the filename briefly displayed followed by a red dot on the home screen.
Kvelez,
Car was at the dealer for a week and one day, they have no idea what the problem is. Maybe next week I will go back and begin hitting on the GM and push for a refund, it will be fun if not fruitless. I have not been using the MB adapter (ever). I have been using the same USB-C adapter I got from Amazon, maybe I'll try another connection. I did learn that the MB USA said the option to have the Dash Cam activated each time you start the car is not going to happen in the US. They did a "factory reset" that only made me reset everything. I'll muck around with it with different connectors, I already tried different thumb drives, some with recordings and some without, nada! Thanks for the input, I'll let you know if I find anything...
P.S. the Amazon adapter is the same I was using when the dashcam was working??
kvelez (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 07:29 PM

2021 GLE 450
bsaz,
Below is a link for the one that worked for me. It does not use an adapter it plugs directly into the USB-C plug. I am using the connection closest to the dash by the cup holders.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081DDS2MY/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_glt_fabc_2MD36W340QP9DRDBTKRM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081DDS2MY/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_glt_fabc_2MD36W340QP9DRDBTKRM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Once I installed this device the intermittent recording issue went away.

As far as the auto-record option goes I insisted until I got a member from "Executive Referral Management team" to research the issue and call me. The auto record option is not active because it's a new factory feature being installed by manufacturers and for some reason, the NHTSA has not approved that feature. We know how silly this sounds when you can buy a $20 dashcam and it auto records but that was Mercedes-Benz story. The software is already installed otherwise it would not be in the built-in instruction manual see https://i.imgur.com/84xGLHY.png. The feature should work as advertised BEFORE the purchase. Selling a Dash Cam that does not auto record is like selling a car clock you have to set the time every time you turn on the car. If any features are disabled it should be noted on the sticker. The manual should also state that the feature may not be available in all countries. Nowhere in any MB documentation is this stated.
The representative agreed that lack of disclosure is wrong but fell short of any solution. That is why we need to keep up the pressure. It was the deciding factor between the two GLE450 models I had to pick from and it was a lot more than 200 dollars difference.

Last edited by kvelez; 05-19-2021 at 08:20 PM.
bsaz (05-20-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 09:55 PM

2021 GLE 450
Since it does not record audio it's not illegal anywhere in the United States. See article https://www.azuga.com/blog/dashcam-l...ers-and-owners
Mercedes-Benz has dropped the ball on this one. A good friend of mine is a state trooper in FL. They have dashcam's that record 360's with sound up to 35 ft away and do not obtain permission from anyone to record.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:17 PM

bsaz,
Below is a link for the one that worked for me. It does not use an adapter it plugs directly into the USB-C plug. I am using the connection closest to the dash by the cup holders.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081DDS2MY/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_glt_fabc_2MD36W340QP9DRDBTKRM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081DDS2MY/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_glt_fabc_2MD36W340QP9DRDBTKRM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Once I installed this device the intermittent recording issue went away.

As far as the auto-record option goes I insisted until I got a member from "Executive Referral Management team" to research the issue and call me. The auto record option is not active because it's a new factory feature being installed by manufacturers and for some reason, the NHTSA has not approved that feature. We know how silly this sounds when you can buy a $20 dashcam and it auto records but that was Mercedes-Benz story. The software is already installed otherwise it would not be in the built-in instruction manual see https://i.imgur.com/84xGLHY.png. The feature should work as advertised BEFORE the purchase. Selling a Dash Cam that does not auto record is like selling a car clock you have to set the time every time you turn on the car. If any features are disabled it should be noted on the sticker. The manual should also state that the feature may not be available in all countries. Nowhere in any MB documentation is this stated.
The representative agreed that lack of disclosure is wrong but fell short of any solution. That is why we need to keep up the pressure. It was the deciding factor between the two GLE450 models I had to pick from and it was a lot more than 200 dollars difference.
Thanks kvelez!
Just ordered the "sub C" drive, who can't use another thumb drive? I think I'll start making calls about the dashcam option to MB USA and push the auto-on option. However, I'll probably wait 'til I get my dashcam working again. Going back to the dealer if the new drive doesn't fix the problem. I'll keep all informed.
kvelez (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 05:07 PM

2021 GLE 450
Post Dashcam 21U Auto-Record option summary

For those of you who have not kept up or can't find the rest of the threads on the subject here is a summary.

PROBLEM
  • Mercedes-Benz sells and you probably purchase a factory-installed dashcam that will not Auto record. For the purpose of this post, we will only talk about vehicles purchased and operated inside the USA.
FACTS:
  • There is no Mercedes-Benz notification on the window sticker or manual about the factory disabling automatic video recording.

• Furthermore, the onboard electronic manual shows how to activate the feature hence there is no way for you to know this feature is disabled before purchasing the vehicle.

• The missing auto-record feature is analogous to having a clock in the car that needs to have the time set every time you start the engine. Not what you would expect from a world-renowned "The best or nothing," automobile manufacturer.
  • The dealer and Mercedes-Benz will attempt to convince you without any evidence that it's illegal for them to activate the auto recorder. This is not true. The dash camera does not record audio or video inside the passenger compartment. The aforementioned recording would be illegal in some states (CA surprised?).
  • The Auto-record feature is not working because Mercedes-Benz has not aggressively pursued approval from the NHTSA. Approval is needed because it's a new feature.
  • Here is one of many articles on the legality of dashcam recordings. https://www.azuga.com/blog/dashcam-l...ers-and-owners
  • Vehicles with the Dashcam 2U1 package are supplied with a "Media Interface adapter cable" but no USB flash drive.

Workaround
  • You can register the dashcam to 'Favorite' on the center console (the button with a star symbol). Once done, it needs only two clicks without even touching the screen (you need to move the dashcam icon to the leftmost position so you don't need to scroll to the right). Keep in mind this will not resolve the disabled auto-recording feature but gives you a workaround albeit a lot of discipline required to remember to turn it on.
  • Once you plug in a USB Flash Drive using the Mercedes-Benz supplied adapter the manual recording may or may not work. In most cases, it works for a while and then stops, becomes intermittent and eventually, the DashCam software in the Mercedes apps disappears. Don't waste your time with the dealer they do not know how to fix the issue. They will factory reset your MBUX software, you will lose all your settings and it will not fix the issue.
  • Regardless if you use the workaround or not you might get the following error.

Function Unavailable

• FIX
  • The fix consists of installing a newer USB Type C aka "sub C" without any adapter. Once you start the engine within a minute the software will appear in your Mercedes apps and you can manually initiate recordings. The wait time will have to be repeated on each use. Here is a photo of the one that worked for me.

WHAT CAN YOU DO
  • Complain to Mercedes-Benz in writing using this email address. mercedes_benz@mailac.custhelp.com
  • When you received the canned response "Thank you for your email to Mercedes-Benz USA. However, we regret to inform you, the vehicle is designed to require manual activation of the dashcam within the US market, etc..." do not accept that as an answer. Request that they raise your request to the level to someone that can authorize enabling the option that was disabled without your knowledge or consent. This will result in a phone call (they don't want it writing) from the Executive Referral Management team. Explain to them your displeasure and frustration. They do not have an answer for "Why was this not disclosed before the purchase?". See if they will send you in writing what efforts have been undertaken to get approval from whatever agency is holding them. If we can get the department number and address we could flood them with letters.
  • The more of us complaining the greater the chance of the issue getting fixed as these guys have access to the engineering and legal teams.
Key points
  • the software is already written to provide the functionality. All they have to do is stop disabling the auto-record feature which can be done via an "over the air" software update.
  • The problem you are experiencing was an undisclosed issue that would have changed your mind about the purchase.
  • PLEASE Post any new revelations or updates to this thread.

Last edited by kvelez; 05-24-2021 at 01:25 PM.
nycebo (08-24-2022)
Old 05-27-2021, 11:06 AM

2021 GLE 450
Did The USB -C work?

Originally Posted by bsaz
Thanks kvelez!
Just ordered the "sub C" drive, who can't use another thumb drive? I think I'll start making calls about the dashcam option to MB USA and push the auto-on option. However, I'll probably wait 'til I get my dashcam working again. Going back to the dealer if the new drive doesn't fix the problem. I'll keep all informed.
I'm interested in finding out if my solution worked for you.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:55 PM

Slight Glitch...

I'm interested in finding out if my solution worked for you.
Thumb drive never made it, Amazon claimed it was delivered, I actually heard the delivery truck, somehow the thumb drive was unable to make it up the steps to the front door. Had to wait 24 hours to put a claim in,(like a missing person?), another is on the way according to Amazon. I'm going to stop by the dealer today and see if they have any new info. Will update when I get the Sub C drive.
Old 04-02-2022, 09:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes EQC - AMG 2021 80 kwh
  • Once you plug in a USB Flash Drive using the Mercedes-Benz supplied adapter the manual recording may or may not work. In most cases, it works for a while and then stops, becomes intermittent and eventually, the DashCam software in the Mercedes apps disappears. Don't waste your time with the dealer they do not know how to fix the issue. They will factory reset your MBUX software, you will lose all your settings and it will not fix the issue.

I live in a country where automatic recording and loop storage are legal, but even using a native Type-c USB Storage device (Exfat), the recording function is working only from time to time.
Is like the camera is missing.
I did not get an adapter! My car is a Mercedes EQC.

I use a 512 Gb USB SanDisk Ultra Luxe Dual Drive. 512 GB, USB 3.1/USB Type-C, Metal
Old 04-02-2022, 01:17 PM

After several trips to the dealer, and multiple configurations with the Sub C connections, I was finally able to get together with the primary mechanic at the MB dealer and we went for a test ride. Afterwards he connected computer and determined the camera behind the mirror failed. Dealer replaced within a week. That was June 2021. Camera has worked fine (for the most part since then). I am still using the same thumb drive since I pick-up the car (12/2021), without a sub C drive extension. I have noticed that the "automatic" write-over on the loop setting is a little flakey. I discovered that if I manually delete the recordings I don't get the "drive full" or "camera unavailable" message. Still the same PIA, U have to start the camera manually each time. Haven't figured out if it is a duration issue or something else, but the ability to begin the recording appears to vary depending on mood of the system...
Old 04-04-2022, 03:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes EQC - AMG 2021 80 kwh
I have a new, smaller (64Gb) and very light USB-C memory stick.
Now it seems to work and I believe that the previous USB drive was too heavy (all metal).
This weight created problems with USB-C contacts on potholes; this is my theory today.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:57 PM

Received 395 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by Courage
I have a new, smaller (64Gb) and very light USB-C memory stick.
Now it seems to work and I believe that the previous USB drive was too heavy (all metal).
This weight created problems with USB-C contacts on potholes; this is my theory today.
My bet is that it works because it now has a smaller memory capacity.
I am not sure the spec of the MB dash cam but most dash cam brands (eg Viofo, Blackvue) have an upper limit of 128GB (some newer models can handle 256GB). So, your previous 512GB drive might create problem with the dash cam.
jtjbt20x (08-14-2023)
Old 04-11-2022, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 715 Likes on 696 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W213 forum...
Old 04-12-2022, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
the dashcam is still not available in France (though i have all the equipment needed for it)
Don't know why, as there are few countries in Europe where a dashcam is illegal (only Luxembourg i think). Besides, all teslas have this feature...
Then again, if i have to start it manually, it's pretty useless. another problem is that the camera doesn't have a great image (from what I see when using augmented reality)

Last edited by Egonvdv; 04-13-2022 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-31-2023, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQC
Originally Posted by pdonahoe
I just took delivery of a 2021 E450 Sedan which I ordered from the factory with option 21U Dashcam. It is not possible to have the dashcam automatically activate each time I start my car. Instead, I have to find the appropriate screen and activate recording each time I start the car.

Per the dealer, the automatic start option is illegal. This is odd for 2 reasons: First, I've seen Youtube video's in which the automatic start is on a menu selection (the video might have been made in the UK because the narrator has a British accent)....and second, every aftermarket dashcam I've seen has the automatic start feature.

Does anyone have any information about this? Is it only illegal in some states, but MB has therefore eliminated this as a possibility for all states? Is it a possible future upgrade?
I can inform you I live in the UK, the automatic recording button is not there in the UK.
There is no legal reason I can find in the UK why this cannot be done, Tesla do it!
Old 12-31-2023, 10:41 PM
SPONSOR

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
E200 2010, G63 2018, E53s 2019, EQS53 Touring 2021, S500 2022, A200 2023
MBUX 1st gen, seems no such auto start feature.
MBUX 2nd Gen in W223 and gen20x in W214, has this auto start feature. (totally not legal issue)

We may wait for the newer firmware to be resleased to see if it will be available or not, but very low chance.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQE 350 (Euro version)
Originally Posted by Courage
I live in a country where automatic recording and loop storage are legal …
What country are you in? Can you do automatic recording?
If so I might try changing my country in the mercedes me app to your country and purchase the dashcam. Who knows, it might just auto record that way.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
if only it were that simple, but it doesn't work like that
Old 01-10-2024, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Dorothee
What country are you in? Can you do automatic recording?
If so I might try changing my country in the mercedes me app to your country and purchase the dashcam. Who knows, it might just auto record that way.
Quite odd in my opinion that your trick to change the home country in MB Me settings allows you to purchase the dash cam feature from the Mercedes Shop in a country where the app is not available but this does not bring the automatic recording option. Somehow that follows the country where the vehicle was originally sold.