E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Screens shutting off intermittently, transmission question too

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 12:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 E450 Wagon
Screens shutting off intermittently, transmission question too

2019 E450 bought CPO a few months ago. Having a problem where both screens (middle and the one between the analog Speed/RPM dials) just shut off for a second randomly every once in a while. Not every drive, and I can't tell if it coincides with me doing anything in particular, but it definitely isn't a result of any particular input, seems to happen just as I'm driving along. Anyone else experience this?

I also feel like the transmission isn't particularly subtle. I drive mostly in Comfort and Eco mode, and I feel like it abruptly downshifts when slowing down and and slow speeds. Again, any suggestions or is this just how it is?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-07-2021, 03:21 PM

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
E450 4Matic Wagon '19, MDX '09, 9-5 Aero '03, 280ZX '79, BelAir '57, VF700S Sabre '84
Interesting! I have a 2019 E450 wagon and over the last couple of months it looks like gremlins have moved in
My driver side dash will intermittently shut down. I have the analog gauge cluster. All life will go out of the cluster for split second (no LCD, no background light, no indicator lights, and needles drop to zeros). It seems to happen randomly few times a week.
Center screen - unrelated to the driver's cluster, I will have the center screen go blank sometimes. Sometimes it just comes back after few seconds, sometimes it will restart - looks like you just turned the car ON. I have a suspicion this is related to Apple Carplay (iPhone plugged in most of the time). Also noticed with iPhone plugged in during startup, I will have the center screen on, radio playing, but I cannot control the screen (wheel, touchpad, or thumb controls) for many many seconds.

Transmission - I have a rough transition between 2nd and 3rd gears. Otherwise smooth. What is more concerning is that there are times I want to accelerate, and nothing happens while pushing the accelerator. This can happen while moving (slow or fast), and it has happened leaving a stop light. Sometimes I have to push the pedal until it clicks against the floor for the car to downshift and wake up the Helmut under the hood to get moving. I am not sure if it is an issue with the driver-learning transmission software, throttle pedal sensor, or something else.

I am going to be taking the car to the dealer to deal with all these pesky gremlins.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (09-30-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 03:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 E450 Wagon
Originally Posted by Janster
Interesting! I have a 2019 E450 wagon and over the last couple of months it looks like gremlins have moved in
My driver side dash will intermittently shut down. I have the analog gauge cluster. All life will go out of the cluster for split second (no LCD, no background light, no indicator lights, and needles drop to zeros). It seems to happen randomly few times a week.
Center screen - unrelated to the driver's cluster, I will have the center screen go blank sometimes. Sometimes it just comes back after few seconds, sometimes it will restart - looks like you just turned the car ON. I have a suspicion this is related to Apple Carplay (iPhone plugged in most of the time). Also noticed with iPhone plugged in during startup, I will have the center screen on, radio playing, but I cannot control the screen (wheel, touchpad, or thumb controls) for many many seconds.

Transmission - I have a rough transition between 2nd and 3rd gears. Otherwise smooth. What is more concerning is that there are times I want to accelerate, and nothing happens while pushing the accelerator. This can happen while moving (slow or fast), and it has happened leaving a stop light. Sometimes I have to push the pedal until it clicks against the floor for the car to downshift and wake up the Helmut under the hood to get moving. I am not sure if it is an issue with the driver-learning transmission software, throttle pedal sensor, or something else.

I am going to be taking the car to the dealer to deal with all these pesky gremlins.
Now that you mention it, yes its not just the driver's side screen, it is the lights on the dials that shut off too, can't say whether the dials go to zero or not, but its like the whole dash loses power or resets. I do typically have my phone plugged in and android auto running all the time, but I always plug it in after starting the car. I've never noticed the acceleration problem...does it happen when the auto stop-start function is turned off?
Old 09-07-2021, 05:13 PM

E450 4Matic Wagon '19, MDX '09, 9-5 Aero '03, 280ZX '79, BelAir '57, VF700S Sabre '84
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ13
Now that you mention it, yes its not just the driver's side screen, it is the lights on the dials that shut off too, can't say whether the dials go to zero or not, but its like the whole dash loses power or resets. I do typically have my phone plugged in and android auto running all the time, but I always plug it in after starting the car. I've never noticed the acceleration problem...does it happen when the auto stop-start function is turned off?
I run the car exclusively with the Stop-Start OFF. But I will now let it run in its default, C + Stop-Start ON, and see if it is still "falling asleep" when accelerating.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 589 Likes on 447 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
I have a 2019 E450 with the full screen - all digital no analog gauges.

Today first time the little screen to the left of the major screen, where I have elected to have the nav map shown went blank. When I pressed the navigation button on the dash the system went to nav, but the screen was blank: A black color (technically lack of color)

I rebooted several times via the switch on the console. No luck.

Like both of you I was using apple car play so I could use WAZE.

Ten minutes into the trip the Navigation started to work but not Apple Car Play.

After arriving at my destination, I turned off my car, locked it and returned about 20 minutes later. When I started the car everything was back to normal. My iPhone was in my pocket. I then attached via cable my iPhone and Apple Car Play started instantly.

In the future I will start my car, make sure everything is fine and then activate Apple Car Play. I think there may be a conflict if you start your car with your phone attached?

Just my $.02.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:38 AM

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
E Class Estate S213
Might this coincide with either a recent IOS update or an OTA MB update?
Old 09-08-2021, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E450 4Matic
I have the issue with the gauges and driver information screen going blank as well. Though it might be some bizarre behavior from a partially discharged battery, but it still does it after replacing that.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 E450 Wagon
Me too. 2019 Wagon w analog dash. Screen goes blank for a sec or two (I'm unsure if the needles on the gauges go to zero as well). Has happened a few times. I've usually got Android Auto running.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 E300
Yup, the same thing is happening here with my 2019 E300. It seems to happen almost every time I drive the car, but thankfully it hasn't affected the drivability of the car.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:35 AM

Well, I don't feel so special anymore with the gauge cluster blacking out. Has anyone had this solved yet?
I have an appointment at the end of September and this is one of the (many) items on the list for the dealer to figure out. Will post an update sometime in October.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
MBUX multimedia may need software update have dealer check VMI to see if VIN is included in recall, see attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2021050012.pdf (343.9 KB, 223 views)
Old 09-09-2021, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Update:

Yesterday I started my car, waited a minute then plugged in my iPhone. Apple Car Play started immediately and everything worked fine.

Suggest people having problems to make sure their phone is not connected when the car is started but to wait until all functions are operating properly and then attach their phone.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
I have a pre-MBUX vehicle and I had the screen go dark when taking a phone call. I was running apple CarPlay at the time. Not always, just some of the times has that happened. (Which is always what a mechanic wants to hear! )
Old 09-09-2021, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by murman
I have a pre-MBUX vehicle and I had the screen go dark when taking a phone call. I was running apple CarPlay at the time. Not always, just some of the times has that happened. (Which is always what a mechanic wants to hear! )
As I posted: I now start my car, make sure everything is fine and then and only then do I plug my iPone in for Apple Car Play. Everything then works fine.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:16 AM

E class estate
Radio and dash

Hi all i wondered if anyone else experiences the same issues as im getting. the centre portion between the rev counter and speedo occasionally turns its self off briefly, also the dab radio sounds slow like a record playing slowly this only happens with the radio not media player ?

Any ideas are gratefully received.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 E450 Wagon
I wonder if this service campaign is directed at this issue some of us are seeing?

Service Campaign 2021100004 OCT21 – 2019 -2021 213, 238, 463 standard instrument cluster illumination may be momentarily interrupted, dealer will update HERMES SCN coding. Approximately 634 vehicles affected. (from
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post8446990)
Old 05-30-2022, 07:21 PM

E300
Good evening all! This month I purchased a CPO 2019 E300 AMG Line vehicle from a MB Dealer with less than 16k miles on it and I'm have this EXACT issue. I have not been able to find any information for the issue, it's now happening each and every day randomly, I finally was able to safely record the issue in HD and here is the link for the video of the occurrence. I have contacted my MB dealer for a service call and this clearly and hopefully should be covered with out issue. I will follow this and the other thread for more information.

At any point in time, driving the car at any speed, in any driving mode, with any form of display on the center LCD screen, the screen will randomly go blank, shut off, restart and pick up where the vehicle left off, both while driving and sitting in park in a lot.

The illumination of the temp gauge, fuel level, and needles along with the center screen go completely dark for several seconds and seem to restart / reboot. This issue will continue to happen while driving sometimes several times randomly each day.

This happens with my iPhone plugged in or not, at any point in time from off all night to driving and plugging in.

I'm curious what if anything people have displayed in the center LCD when this happens?

The other thing to note is at night the illumination of the center analog clock in the center of the dash also simultaneously goes out and relights. Hope this helps others.

PS: Has the Service Campaign / HERMES SCN update helped anyone and or resolved the issue before I drive out of my way for the repair?

Old 05-31-2022, 07:02 AM

E class estate
Hi I found the problems came from the gearbox software update over loads the dashboard with information. Since the update was sorted out at Mercedes the problem went away

QUOTE=offthesetprops;8572458]Good evening all! This month I purchased a CPO 2019 E300 AMG Line vehicle from a MB Dealer with less than 16k miles on it and I'm have this EXACT issue. I have not been able to find any information for the issue, it's now happening each and every day randomly, I finally was able to safely record the issue in HD and here is the link for the video of the occurrence. I have contacted my MB dealer for a service call and this clearly and hopefully should be covered with out issue. I will follow this and the other thread for more information.

At any point in time, driving the car at any speed, in any driving mode, with any form of display on the center LCD screen, the screen will randomly go blank, shut off, restart and pick up where the vehicle left off, both while driving and sitting in park in a lot.

The illumination of the temp gauge, fuel level, and needles along with the center screen go completely dark for several seconds and seem to restart / reboot. This issue will continue to happen while driving sometimes several times randomly each day.

This happens with my iPhone plugged in or not, at any point in time from off all night to driving and plugging in.

I'm curious what if anything people have displayed in the center LCD when this happens?

The other thing to note is at night the illumination of the center analog clock in the center of the dash also simultaneously goes out and relights. Hope this helps others.

PS: Has the Service Campaign / HERMES SCN update helped anyone and or resolved the issue before I drive out of my way for the repair?

[/QUOTE]