E Class Sold Out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E Class Sold Out?

From German blogs -

Mercedes E-Class Sedan W213 sold out

The new E-Class W214 will not be available until spring 2023 - but the current E-Class sedan can no longer be ordered

After the G-Class, there is now an order freeze for the E-Class sedan W213.
The E-Class Estate (S213), the E-Class Estate All Terrain, the 4-door Coupé CLS (C257) and AMG GT (4-door X290) are not affected by the order freeze.

While the CLS and the AMG GT 4-door will continue to be built in assembly hall 36 in Sindelfingen until the third quarter of 2023 , production of the station wagon will stop in mid-2023.

Mercedes is still accepting orders for the S213, C257 and X290.

From summer 2022, the E-Class sedan will also be produced in parallel in the completely modernized Hall 46 (old S-Class W222 production hall) together with the new GLC (X254, from the end of 2022).

Production in Halls 46 and 36 for the W213 will end in March 2023.

Due to the shortage of semiconductors, all production slots for the W213 E-Class sedan are already fully booked until March 2023. In addition, there was no longer a multi-beam LED light for the E-Class.

There may be new vehicles in the showrooms or orders from dealers that may still have the equipment changed.
Although there are still just over 12 months until the showroom debut of the W214 series, you can no longer order a W213 relatively early.

Currently, the delivery time was actually 9-10 months for the Mercedes E-Class sedan. In the event that the tense situation in the semiconductors eased somewhat in the second half of the year, it would probably have been possible to sell a few additional units.

In this way, you can possibly lure the customer either to the slightly more expensive E-Class T-model, CLS or even to electromobility with the EQE (release for sale at the end of February / beginning of 2022).

Mercedes EQE - delivery starts in the 2nd quarter of 2022
The following users liked this post:
Diesel Benz (02-14-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 06:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
E450 presently.
WTF

Funny. No car for me then, and I have one being built as we speak. I'm pretty darn sure they will mark it way the **** up now, once it's here. If they don't it would be a surprise.

I promised myself I wouldn't pay above MSRP, for a number of reasons, the main one being they promised me that, and I just wouldn't buy a car from them if they changed their minds. The beauty of it all is you gain perspective after waiting 4 months (actually it's been three so far).

Then again, it's possible MB will crack down on gouging, especially after this. They probably won't, but but they should. I'm just so done with this whole mess and these types of gimmicks. When I was ordering I was seeing crazy things. Unsettling things I'd rather forget now.

Last edited by Mac Jones 55; 02-13-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:27 PM

E450 presently.
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Not surprising, the 213 sedan was a slow seller in the U.S. It was also the death of the E-class, as it was nothing more than a long wheelbase 205 C-class with big fenders and a different dash, powered by the same Nissan assembled 4-cylinder. Good riddance I say!
Well, you can no longer order a C with a 6, and I ordered a E450 so there's that. It should be a good car. What a mess.

Death of the E-Class? What a strange thing to say.

Last edited by Mac Jones 55; 02-13-2022 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 211 Posts
2019 E300
This has been a problem long in the making, we all know the law of supply and demand. This chip shortage is getting worst rather than getting better. Most new cars now come with a MSRP markup, German car dealers are totally out of new cars and are surviving thru the service department and CPOs. Dont get into an accident because parts takes 2 to 3 times as long to get.

to those knocking the 4 cylinder M274 engine, it may not have 500 hp or ton of liters but it was the 2017 Wards best engine winner.

Last edited by The G Man; 02-13-2022 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:49 PM

E450 presently.
Originally Posted by The G Man
This has been a problem long in the making, we all know the law of supply and demand. This chip shortage is getting worst rather than getting better. Most new cars now come with a MSRP markup, German car dealers are totally out of new cars and are surviving thru the service department and CPOs. Dont get into an accident because parts takes 2 to 3 times as long to get.

to those knocking the 4 cylinder M274 engine, it may not have 500 hp or ton of liters but it was the 2017 Wards best engine winner.
It will probably force me to buy a $30K car so I can live with a 2K markup. There's plenty of pleasure in this, just not luxury pleasure.

When I was seriously shopping around, before I ordered, I was seeing some stunning greed with a variety of auto dealers. Best to cut my losses.

Last edited by Mac Jones 55; 02-13-2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:49 PM

Received 213 Likes on 160 Posts
2023 GLE450, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2021 + 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300
Lotta nice CPO stuff out there - maybe buy a nice 20 or 21 to hold you over... Of course, you have to pick through the minimally equipped service loaners. For example, MB of Roanoke had a really nicely equipped CPO low miles E450 sedan with the Designo titanium/black interior - would have been a great car to hold onto until the supply chain is less messed up.
Old 02-14-2022, 02:38 AM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
W213 E53 | 992 C2 | G20 330i
You all do realize those German language blogs are intended for the German domestic market. So, the whole E Class sold out situation would apply to German customers only and not US customers. The US market will be able to continue ordering the W213 until Q1 23.
Old 02-14-2022, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by Mac Jones 55
It will probably force me to buy a $30K car so I can live with a 2K markup. There's plenty of pleasure in this, just not luxury pleasure.

When I was seriously shopping around, before I ordered, I was seeing some stunning greed with a variety of auto dealers. Best to cut my losses.
I believe the Used car market is starting to level out, New car pricing is still rising. If the Mercedes dealer promise you below or at MSRP, for the E450, then you should hold their word to it.
Most Car dealers sales dept are in desperation mode, they do not have inventory and they cannot find low level workers. The service dept is keeping the dealer’s lights on. My guess is that the dealer will try to increase.profit on your deal from the back end such as extended warranty, tire insurance or extended maintenance service. In all fairness, they dealer has to make some money to make the deal worthwhile.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 588 Likes on 446 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
I believe the Used car market is starting to level out, New car pricing is still rising. If the Mercedes dealer promise you below or at MSRP, for the E450, then you should hold their word to it.
Most Car dealers sales dept are in desperation mode, they do not have inventory and they cannot find low level workers. The service dept is keeping the dealer’s lights on. My guess is that the dealer will try to increase.profit on your deal from the back end such as extended warranty, tire insurance or extended maintenance service. In all fairness, they dealer has to make some money to make the deal worthwhile.
I have been dealing with several dealers over the past 6 months as the lease on my 2019 E450 ended on December 30, 2021 and I have extended it through February 28, 2022. Because of features on my 2019 that have been deleted on the 2022 E450, the mark up over MSRP on a new 2022, or if a dealer is willing to sell me a 2022 E450 at MSRP, he has marked up the MF on a lease and the dealers not willing to pay me fair market value on my 2019, which would partially offset the premium on the 2022, I have decided to just buy my car.

MBFS is willing to finance the purchase and I was initially told in error by MBFS that financing had to be done through the dealer. One dealer said flat out that they wanted a $1500 fee to arrange the financing. Another dealer was basing financing on the original residual in my lease, not the present residual which was $1700 lower as result of making two additional payments, plus a handling fee of $350 - an extra cost of over $2,000.

Today I spoke to MBFS and they confirmed that I can finance directly with them, that I had been told in error that I had to go through my dealer, and that there was no additional fee and the purchase price would be my present residual, giving my credit for the two payments made under the lease extension, saving me $1,500/$2,000.

My point is that dealer's are at wits end without either new cars or used cars to sell and whatever product they can sell, they will mark up substantially. Service, a cash cow for the dealer is not generating the profits they once did because of lack of parts.

If you have it writing from a dealer that they will sell you the car at MSRP, do not be surprised that at delivery they will be thousands of dollars of "additions and tack ons": you will have little recourse to either walk or pay - holding them to a written contract through legal actions will cost more in both money and time and/or aggravation - than the amount involved. The dealers are confident if you will not pay a premium, there will be others who will.

If cost is "no object" then go ahead and buy: However, if you can wait, this is not the time to buy either a new or used car: if you do, be forewarned and expect to be "raped over the coals" by the dealer. These are desperate times for the dealers.

Just my $.02 and my experiences: Hope this helps
Old 02-14-2022, 06:09 PM

E450 presently.
Originally Posted by JTK44

If you have it writing from a dealer that they will sell you the car at MSRP, do not be surprised that at delivery they will be thousands of dollars of "additions and tack ons": you will have little recourse to either walk or pay - holding them to a written contract through legal actions will cost more in both money and time and/or aggravation - than the amount involved. The dealers are confident if you will not pay a premium, there will be others who will.

helps
This is what I expect.

Last edited by Mac Jones 55; 02-14-2022 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by Mac Jones 55
This is what I expect. Do I blame them? absolutely, and it may just sour me to the brand. You say they are "At wits end". That's a shame, but just maybe passing on the trouble might not be a good idea

Brand loyalty goes so far. It's just this kind of thing that could spoil it. The reasoning that 'they all do it' is irrelevant, if they are the only brand the buyer is considering, do to 'brand loyalty'. I'm sure BMW would be the same, but I don't know for sure and maybe when I focus on them things won't be the same.

Brand loyalty seems to be just about the entire ball game with car ownership.
Brand loyalty went the way of "employment for life" once common at major American Industrial companies: only unionized and City, State and Federal governments have "employment for life."

But to be clear, this is not a situation unique to Mercedes Benz: If you can find a car at MSRP from any dealer - buy it! But I have not heard of any dealers selling at MSRP: there will be "add and tack ons":

When demand exceeds supply, to expect otherwise is naive.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:23 PM

E450 presently.
Brand loyalty went the way of "employment for life" once common at major American Industrial companies: only unionized and City, State and Federal governments have "employment for life."

But to be clear, this is not a situation unique to Mercedes Benz: If you can find a car at MSRP from any dealer - buy it! But I have not heard of any dealers selling at MSRP: there will be "add and tack ons":

When demand exceeds supply, to expect otherwise is naive.
Right. Called gouging.

Last edited by Mac Jones 55; 02-14-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
I have been dealing with several dealers over the past 6 months as the lease on my 2019 E450 ended on December 30, 2021 and I have extended it through February 28, 2022. Because of features on my 2019 that have been deleted on the 2022 E450, the mark up over MSRP on a new 2022, or if a dealer is willing to sell me a 2022 E450 at MSRP, he has marked up the MF on a lease and the dealers not willing to pay me fair market value on my 2019, which would partially offset the premium on the 2022, I have decided to just buy my car.

MBFS is willing to finance the purchase and I was initially told in error by MBFS that financing had to be done through the dealer. One dealer said flat out that they wanted a $1500 fee to arrange the financing. Another dealer was basing financing on the original residual in my lease, not the present residual which was $1700 lower as result of making two additional payments, plus a handling fee of $350 - an extra cost of over $2,000.

Today I spoke to MBFS and they confirmed that I can finance directly with them, that I had been told in error that I had to go through my dealer, and that there was no additional fee and the purchase price would be my present residual, giving my credit for the two payments made under the lease extension, saving me $1,500/$2,000.

My point is that dealer's are at wits end without either new cars or used cars to sell and whatever product they can sell, they will mark up substantially. Service, a cash cow for the dealer is not generating the profits they once did because of lack of parts.

If cost is "no object" then go ahead and buy: However, if you can wait, this is not the time to buy either a new or used car: if you do, be forewarned and expect to be "raped over the coals" by the dealer. These are desperate times for the dealers.

Just my $.02 and my experiences: Hope this helps
I must admit, I know very little about leasing but I am surprise one cannot secure their own finance and just buy out a lease like paying off a car loan. Good point regarding any dealer price contract being worthless.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I must admit, I know very little about leasing but I am surprise one cannot secure their own finance and just buy out a lease like paying off a car loan. Good point regarding any dealer price contract being worthless.
Yes you can. However, for whatever reason, there are generally four categories of car loans:
  • Car dealer new
  • Car dealer used
  • Refinance
  • Lease buyout

The lease buyout is the highest. MBFS rates for lease buyout is pretty much the same as Car dealer new and the most competitive rate I have found even cheaper than credit unions.

Hope this clarifies.

​​​​​​​see: https://promotions.bankofamerica.com...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Lanzz (02-14-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update:

Today finalized the financing at lease end of my 2019 E450 directly through remarketing of Mercedes Benz Financial Services:
  • I was able to finance the purchase directly with MBFS: you do not have to go through a dealer. One dealer quoted me origination fee of $1,500, another $2,000!
  • The only charge above the residual is the $150 charge in paragraph 9 of my lease
  • The interest rate for 36 months, no money down, is 2.64%: for 48 months, no money down, 2.74%

These rates are good through the end of February.

Hope this helps others in a similar situation
Old 02-16-2022, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
While it is true that Nissan in Decherd, Tennessee builds engines for Mercedes in Vince, Alabama, I tend to believe that Nissan builds M274 four-cylinder engine for C-Class and Infiniti Q50. The W205 C-Class and Infiniti Q50 share the Mercedes-Benz MRA platform as the result of the Daimler-Nissan/Renault alliance. Q50 in many oversea markets do offer 2.0 inline-four engines as standard on gas versions, and the US will follow soon. But keep in mind that M274 is still a genuine Mercedes engine. This by no mean take away the fact that the M274 is a great engine, despite of some M274 being build in Alabama. The M274 engine won the Ward's best engine of year in 2017, This engine is way underrated and and has no problem moving the E class around.
I believe the Q50 is still on the dated FM platform.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:41 PM

Received 171 Likes on 108 Posts
2020 E450 Wagon
Yes you can. However, for whatever reason, there are generally four categories of car loans:
  • Car dealer new
  • Car dealer used
  • Refinance
  • Lease buyout

The lease buyout is the highest. MBFS rates for lease buyout is pretty much the same as Car dealer new and the most competitive rate I have found even cheaper than credit unions.

Hope this clarifies.

see: https://promotions.bankofamerica.com...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
My local credit union here in Texas has one rate for all (new car, refinance, lease buyout etc.), only factor dependent on rate is your credit rating. If one is tier one they are offering 1.95% up to 72 months which is pretty darn good.

https://www.rbfcu.org/rates#AUTO-VEHICLE
​​​​​​​
Old 02-16-2022, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fleuger99
My local credit union here in Texas has one rate for all (new car, refinance, lease buyout etc.), only factor dependent on rate is your credit rating. If one is tier one they are offering 1.95% up to 72 months which is pretty darn good.

https://www.rbfcu.org/rates#AUTO-VEHICLE

Excellent rate!

​​​​​​​Here on Long Island I was quoted over 5% from local credit union, which is why I went with MBFS.
fleuger99 (02-16-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,267 Likes on 2,032 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Thread cleaned up. Please stay on topic. Thanks...
The following 3 users liked this post by Wolfman:
E55Greasemonkey (02-18-2022), js_cls (02-18-2022), TennesseeZ4 (02-18-2022)