E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Air Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 02:53 PM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
Air Suspension Question

I vaguely remember this question being covered before but can't find it. I recently took delivery of a MY '23 E 450 wagon. The car has exceeded my expectations and I am very happy with my choice. The question I have is that the air suspension seems to have a mind of its own. While sitting in traffic the car occasionally raises. Also when pulling into a diagonal parking space the car will raise itself. At first I thought it was because it was sensing and approaching curb. I don't have an issue with that. But sitting in traffic and having the front end raise is a little disconcerting. Is this normal? The car has less than 800 miles to date. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by pdeacon; 02-08-2023 at 02:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
E430_4MATIC (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 01:05 AM
tyo

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
S213 200e 4Matic
Originally Posted by pdeacon
I vaguely remember this question being covered before but can't find it. I recently took delivery of a MY '23 E 450 wagon. The car has exceeded my expectations and I am very happy with my choice. The question I have is that the air suspension seems to have a mind of its own. While sitting in traffic the car occasionally raises. Also when pulling into a diagonal parking space the car will raise itself. At first I thought it was because it was sensing and approaching curb. I don't have an issue with that. But sitting in traffic and having the front end raise is a little disconcerting. Is this normal? The car has less than 800 miles to date. Any help would be appreciated.
No, this isn’t normal at all. I have MY ‘22 200e 4Matic and loads of different issues with it including air suspension!
My car is at the dealer at the moment and one of the things they are doing is to exchange air suspension control unit. I have exactly same issue. Air suspension has a life on its own. Going up and down at traffic almost at all times, not to mention that it is pretty loud doing it.
Last November, one dealer told me that they have changed it however this didn’t give much. I know why now! They didn’t changed it just did reinstalled the software plus software upgrade. I know that as current dealer where my car is told me so this week. They have ordered and received a new unit two days ago. Perhaps will do some test drives today and tomorrow.
Another issue, my car has is when you drive slowly over even a small hop then you could hear, quite often, rear shock absorbers hitting the rubber top. Last dealer replaced in January, most of the bushings in the rear multi-arm suspension due to squeaking noise, it did help but not with rubber sound.
By the way, expect to get suspension warning sign soon. Had it twice already!

I am just about to file a complaint to Mercedes just waiting to see if all issues would be repaired although I will file anyway. You can read my thread https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...s-already.html

Anyway I will update you once I have some news.
Old 02-09-2023, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by tyo
Another issue, my car has is when you drive slowly over even a small hop then you could hear, quite often, rear shock absorbers hitting the rubber top.
Off topic but could you fix your signature and name the car model properly. It is no 200e, probably an E200. The small e refers to a plug-in hybrid which is why I thought you might have the same issue that someone else complained about. This was on an "e", meaning quite heavy load on the rear axle.
Old 02-09-2023, 04:44 AM
tyo

S213 200e 4Matic
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Off topic but could you fix your signature and name the car model properly. It is no 200e, probably an E200. The small e refers to a plug-in hybrid which is why I thought you might have the same issue that someone else complained about. This was on an "e", meaning quite heavy load on the rear axle.
Yes, I am sorry E200 4Matic!
Heavy load on the rear axle? While driving alone with empty trunk?
Old 02-09-2023, 05:40 AM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
Thank you @tyo I guess a call to the dealer is in order. I'm not experiencing any strange noises just the intermittent raising. I'll report back with my results.
tyo (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tyo
Yes, I am sorry E200 4Matic!
Heavy load on the rear axle? While driving alone with empty trunk?
I was referring to an E3XXe (300e or 350e), a plug-in hybrid that has heavy load on the rear axle even with an empty trunk and no passengers.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:28 AM

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts
1973 280SEL 4.5; 2021 E450S4 Wagon
I guess a call to the dealer is in order. I'm not experiencing any strange noises just the intermittent raising. I'll report back with my results.
Please keep us posted. Mine intermittently does the same in traffic. It also sometimes rises when starting after sitting overnight. It did not do it after sitting for one week.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:01 PM

Received 261 Likes on 167 Posts
Is this normal?
The consensus from the other thread is that they all do it.
pdeacon (02-10-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 01:30 PM
tyo

S213 200e 4Matic
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The consensus from the other thread is that they all do it.
What exactly? That air suspension keeps adjusting itself in traffic. I don’t agree at all plus dealer told me this isn’t normal, too.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:32 PM

After coming to a stop the car will level itself.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:54 PM
tyo

S213 200e 4Matic
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
After coming to a stop the car will level itself.
Almost each time while in traffic? I don’t think so. As I wrote dealer said that this isn’t normal to keep calibrating so often!
Old 02-09-2023, 06:23 PM

If not on level ground when it comes to a stop, it levels itself. Same for all All Terrain owners active in the other thread. Not something I experienced in previous Range Rovers with air suspension, and I'll mention it when it's in for its first service, but it doesn't bother me.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:39 PM

Received 169 Likes on 140 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
How's your battery?

It sounds like as sensor issue
Old 02-10-2023, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tyo
What exactly? That air suspension keeps adjusting itself in traffic. I don’t agree at all plus dealer told me this isn’t normal, too.
Confusing discussion here. The Airmatic suspension does level the car when necessary, even while driving (but not when parked after the car has entered deep sleep, just after stopping yes if necessary). The problem here perhaps is that there is a leak somewhere which causes the need for suspension levelling and this need should not exist. Or some sensor lever is lose or perhaps really an issue with the control unit. Levelling at speed or when stopping is not an issue but if it is somehow disturbing and too frequent, then it sounds like a fault somewhere.

The car adjusts suspension height above certain speed (lowers the car) and then raises it at lower speed. I did not check the figures for a W213 but this is just an example of suspension levelling at speed. Euro cars traditionally lower the car on Sports mode too (at speed or when stationary, when ever mode is changed). Obviously the raised mode for bad roads (low speed) can be activated and deactivated while driving.

I've had 5 different Mercedes models, a few more Airmatic cars in total and none have had any disturbing suspension levelling, at speed or when stopping at traffic lights. Have to admit that our W213 does not have Airmatic, don't think it would be significantly different from the older or the more recent models.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:19 AM

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts
2022 C300 AMG-Line; 2020 E450; 2013 SLK350
Confusing discussion here. The Airmatic suspension does level the car when necessary, even while driving (but not when parked after the car has entered deep sleep, just after stopping yes if necessary). The problem here perhaps is that there is a leak somewhere which causes the need for suspension levelling and this need should not exist. Or some sensor lever is lose or perhaps really an issue with the control unit. Levelling at speed or when stopping is not an issue but if it is somehow disturbing and too frequent, then it sounds like a fault somewhere.

The car adjusts suspension height above certain speed (lowers the car) and then raises it at lower speed. I did not check the figures for a W213 but this is just an example of suspension levelling at speed. Euro cars traditionally lower the car on Sports mode too (at speed or when stationary, when ever mode is changed). Obviously the raised mode for bad roads (low speed) can be activated and deactivated while driving.

I've had 5 different Mercedes models, a few more Airmatic cars in total and none have had any disturbing suspension levelling, at speed or when stopping at traffic lights. Have to admit that our W213 does not have Airmatic, don't think it would be significantly different from the older or the more recent models.
My car has air suspension and it has NEVER raised or lowered by itself in my short 2-3 weeks of owning/driving the car. If this happens on mine, I'll have the dealer check it out and fix. Suspension should not self-level "when necessary"... what does "when necessary" even mean?
Old 02-10-2023, 10:20 AM

Received 165 Likes on 120 Posts
2022 E450 All-Terrain
Yes, I have noticed this “leveling” (raising/lowering) when the car is at a stop at traffic lights. A bit disconcerting, until we get used to it. Mine’s always done it and currently it has nearly 7000 miles on it.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Povitica3
My car has air suspension and it has NEVER raised or lowered by itself in my short 2-3 weeks of owning/driving the car. If this happens on mine, I'll have the dealer check it out and fix. Suspension should not self-level "when necessary"... what does "when necessary" even mean?
What does "lowering by itself" mean? Perhaps you are referring to the change of suspension modes while I'm talking about levelling at the selected suspension mode? Of course suspension should not change from sports to normal to raised on its own (except from raised to normal if a specified speed is exceeded).

"When necessary" was supposed to refer to the case when the load on the car changes (people in the car or stuff at the trunk etc.) and levelling is needed to keep the set body height. Within a selected suspension mode, the nominal body height should be adjusted also if there is a leak that makes the body drop.

At high speed the target level changes within the selected mode, the mode itself does not change. If you have observed the suspension mode change on its own (the mode indicator changing too), that is not normal at all.

Old 02-10-2023, 11:27 AM

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts
2022 C300 AMG-Line; 2020 E450; 2013 SLK350
What does "lowering by itself" mean? Perhaps you are referring to the change of suspension modes while I'm talking about levelling at the selected suspension mode? Of course suspension should not change from sports to normal to raised on its own (except from raised to normal if a specified speed is exceeded).

"When necessary" was supposed to refer to the case when the load on the car changes (people in the car or stuff at the trunk etc.) and levelling is needed to keep the set body height. Within a selected suspension mode, the nominal body height should be adjusted also if there is a leak that makes the body drop.

At high speed the target level changes within the selected mode, the mode itself does not change. If you have observed the suspension mode change on its own (the mode indicator changing too), that is not normal at all.
Ahhh... thanks for the explanation. "Lowering by itself" in my post refers to the OP's issue that his car self-raises while sitting in traffic or attempting parking in a diagonal space. Mine does not do this.... But then I have only been driving it for 2-3 weeks, so I may have to wait awhile to see if this ever happens in mine at some point. Also, I have 13,xxx miles so far.
Diesel Benz (02-10-2023)